test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What I have achieved since starting STO

worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Ten Forward
--Got into Swarthmore College, where I am now a freshman.

--Aced Chemistry.

--Got a paper published.

--Got on TVTropes.

--Became famous enough that people occasionally recognize me in-game, and Smirk has read my stories.

--Written two novels (neither of which were very good).

--Lost 15 pounds.

--Done a Spartan race (2 hours of pain, but SO worth it).

--Read Fifty Shades of Gray and became physically ill on chapter 3 because I was so creeped out.

--Made 17 friends.

--Got my first date ever, which was an unmitigated disaster.

--Got my second date ever, same person as the first one, we watched Pacific Rim while eating popcorn, very fun.

--Decided mutually not to do full-on dates again, but remain friends and hang out all the time.

--Verbally demolished a dirtbag who was saying racist sexist TRIBBLE on campus to a standing ovation from my classmates.

--Delivered Valentines while dressed as a ninja, and participated in an epic ninja duel against the beloved professor who teaches a class on Tolkein and Pullman, which is probably the high point of my life.

--Ran around dressed as an Orc and shouting war cries in a berserk mixture of tlhIngan Hol and Black Speech and hitting people with a foam sword in the campus's massive LARP event, the Dactyl Hunt.

--Learned to play badminton.

All of this since I started STO, and I remain a regular and loyal player. Not too shabby.

EDIT: I also

--Started the Hail Ba'al joke.

--Became Poster of the Year.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    --Maxed out your Worffan Reputation System

Don't forget that one :)

~Smirk
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    In case people don't get it, this is a rebuttal of the guy who said that quitting STO had made his life a lot better. By that logic, playing STO is what made my incredibly, mind-numbingly mediocre life so exciting.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Did you not also win the unofficial poster of the year award? I think that is worthy of achievement in your glory of mediocrity. :cool:
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited February 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    Did you not also win the unofficial poster of the year award? I think that is worthy of achievement in your glory of mediocrity. :cool:
    Damn, forgot that one, LOL.
    --Maxed out your Worffan Reputation System

Don't forget that one :)

~Smirk

I'm afraid to ask what that even means, but I hope it's a good thing. :D
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I had a Tumor removed last week. Does that count?
    edited February 2015

Yes, yes it does. I hope it was benign.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited February 2015

Seconded. Hope you recover swiftly, organicmanfred!
    edited February 2015

It was ugly and on my head going deep near the skull.

But that is history and privat. And that doesnt really belong here in a thread that isnt mine.

Hey, Smirk. Can you move my post to my soon to be opened thread:

"My late friend Harry, or how it affected the income for the Women Movement in Nicaragua"
  • pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Only if it was a Teratoma....

~Smirk
    edited February 2015
    Only if it was a Teratoma....

~Smirk

... well, yes that is it. I think.. :confused:

You sir, are crazy and I like you very much. :P
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I had a shower.

I discovered the joys of gregorian chants.

I scratched my right foot. But not my left. That wasn't itchy.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    worffan101 wrote: »
    --Lost 15 pounds.

I...uh...found those 15 pounds you lost if you want them back.
    edited February 2015
    I...uh...found those 15 pounds you lost if you want them back.

No, thanks. My freshman 15 was negative, and I want to keep it that way.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I uhh... achieved nothing.

Maybe I learnt I'm even more useless than I was afraid I was. And I'm staying in STO despite my belief it's turning bad.

Congrats to you, Worffan, seems like you're better off.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    I'm... STILL struggling to find a frickin' job. Seems like no one likes me, even for an entry level Temp Job in my area.

And I can't afford to move out of the city. I'm stuck.

Other than that... Still alive, still enjoying hanging out with friends both online and off, and... trying to work up the courage to start posting chapters of a Star Trek crossover I wrote on a fanfiction site. Its done, I just haven't posted anything yet.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    You made it three chapters into that drek? I don't know whether I should be impressed or afraid. The incredibly poor quality of the writing stopped me after three paragraphs.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited February 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    You made it three chapters into that drek? I don't know whether I should be impressed or afraid. The incredibly poor quality of the writing stopped me after three paragraphs.

I was bored out of my mind, and I had a bet on with my buddy that I could make it through at least two chapters.

I made one hundred dollars and lost the ability to ever achieve perfect happiness. I don't know if it was worth it. Seriously, those books don't just glorify abusive relationships, they outright glorify r***. And it's horrifying.
  • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I was bored out of my mind, and I had a bet on with my buddy that I could make it through at least two chapters.

I made one hundred dollars and lost the ability to ever achieve perfect happiness. I don't know if it was worth it. Seriously, those books don't just glorify abusive relationships, they outright glorify r***. And it's horrifying.

I would have read the whole thing for that kind of money.
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    --Got into Swarthmore College, where I am now a freshman.

--Aced Chemistry.

--Got a paper published.

--Got on TVTropes.

--Became famous enough that people occasionally recognize me in-game, and Smirk has read my stories.

--Written two novels (neither of which were very good).

--Lost 15 pounds.

--Done a Spartan race (2 hours of pain, but SO worth it).

--Read Fifty Shades of Gray and became physically ill on chapter 3 because I was so creeped out.

--Made 17 friends.

--Got my first date ever, which was an unmitigated disaster.

--Got my second date ever, same person as the first one, we watched Pacific Rim while eating popcorn, very fun.

--Decided mutually not to do full-on dates again, but remain friends and hang out all the time.

--Verbally demolished a dirtbag who was saying racist sexist TRIBBLE on campus to a standing ovation from my classmates.

--Delivered Valentines while dressed as a ninja, and participated in an epic ninja duel against the beloved professor who teaches a class on Tolkein and Pullman, which is probably the high point of my life.

--Ran around dressed as an Orc and shouting war cries in a berserk mixture of tlhIngan Hol and Black Speech and hitting people with a foam sword in the campus's massive LARP event, the Dactyl Hunt.

--Learned to play badminton.

All of this since I started STO, and I remain a regular and loyal player. Not too shabby.

EDIT: I also

--Started the Hail Ba'al joke.

--Became Poster of the Year.
    Be VERY careful with this situation... Allowing 'friendzoning' like that to be (what sounds like) an ersatz relationship substitute might seem okay at first, but it can become a nightmare when one party enters into a new relationship, and even worse if said party then expects said friend to listen to their woes when said relationship fails... In situations like this, it can sometimes be better to cut the tie sooner rather than later, than potentially enduring years of unresolved c**k-teasing behaviour from the friend, who knows that you initially hoped for more...

Other than that, *thumbs up* dude, those're some solid accomplishments :cool:

[Edit to add]
    Given 50 Shades started life as Twilight fanfic, it was never going to be anything other than TRIBBLE which glorified abusive relationships. I aim to never read it...
    edited February 2015
    Be VERY careful with this situation... Allowing 'friendzoning' like that to be (what sounds like) an ersatz relationship substitute might seem okay at first, but it can become a nightmare when one party enters into a new relationship, and even worse if said party then expects said friend to listen to their woes when said relationship fails... In situations like this, it can sometimes be better to cut the tie sooner rather than later, than potentially enduring years of unresolved c**k-teasing behaviour from the friend, who knows that you initially hoped for more...

Other than that, *thumbs up* dude, those're some solid accomplishments :cool:

[Edit to add]
    Given 50 Shades started life as Twilight fanfic, it was never going to be anything other than TRIBBLE which glorified abusive relationships. I aim to never read it...

Eh, we're rational adults, and the girl I like most is asexual/aromantic and we're fine as friends. It helps that I'm not really interested in intimate relationships anyway, and I value my friendships over everything else. Thanks for the advice, tho.

On the terrible books...don't read them. They're like FATAL (the only RPG I will never, ever DM for), in that their very existence means that the universe has run out of joy. Soon, Neelix will be conceived and the end will come!

But seriously, those books are repulsive and awful. Don't read them.
    edited February 2015
    it can become a nightmare when one party enters into a new relationship, and even worse if said party then expects said friend to listen to their woes when said relationship fails... In situations like this, it can sometimes be better to cut the tie sooner rather than later, than potentially enduring years of unresolved c**k-teasing behaviour from the friend, who knows that you initially hoped for more...

Could not agree more. Don't become somebody's safety net. Do not allow yourself to be used as a tool for an insecure personality. Burn those bridges, burn them to cinders. A particularly toxic personality can sap you of the will to cut those ties the longer you let it go on. Sometimes an extreme reaction like that is the only thing that can bring closure to yourself and the other party. If you let them sink their hooks back into you, they can easily drag you back down.

There are plenty of fish in the sea, and no human being is worth that kind of heartache. You owe it to yourself to recognize you are more than somebody else's crutch.

This is not in direct reference to you or the OP. This is just life advice in the most general sense.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited February 2015
    Eh, we're rational adults, and the girl I like most is asexual/aromantic and we're fine as friends. It helps that I'm not really interested in intimate relationships anyway, and I value my friendships over everything else. Thanks for the advice, tho.

On the terrible books...don't read them. They're like FATAL (the only RPG I will never, ever DM for), in that their very existence means that the universe has run out of joy. Soon, Neelix will be conceived and the end will come!

But seriously, those books are repulsive and awful. Don't read them.
    Dude, when it comes to relationships, that doesn't mean s**t :D If that's the situation, then it may indeed work out fine, but I've seen people get seriously messed up in similar situations, so I always advise caution :D

And no worries, I have absolutely no intention of ever reading them or watching the movie(s) because what they promote and represent utterly sickens me... I'm more likely to read the Hobbit before I read 50 Shades, and I've gone my entire life deliberately not reading it, so no problem there :cool:
    edited February 2015
    Could not agree more. Don't become somebody's safety net. Do not allow yourself to be used as a tool for an insecure personality. Burn those bridges, burn them to cinders. A particularly toxic personality can sap you of the will to cut those ties the longer you let it go on. Sometimes an extreme reaction like that is the only thing that can bring closure to yourself and the other party. If you let them sink their hooks back into you, they can easily drag you back down.

There are plenty of fish in the sea, and no human being is worth that kind of heartache. You owe it to yourself to recognize you are more than somebody else's crutch.

Nah, guys, it wasn't like that. It was just me and a friend, we wanted to try a romantic night, we went in mutually understanding that it might not work, we remain good friends, no ill will harbored.

I DID accidentally spill soup all down the front of my only suit, but that was just my clumsiness. And the tiny table.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    And that is why Ba'al banned tiny tables. :P
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited February 2015
    Nah, guys, it wasn't like that. It was just me and a friend, we wanted to try a romantic night, we went in mutually understanding that it might not work, we remain good friends, no ill will harbored.

I DID accidentally spill soup all down the front of my only suit, but that was just my clumsiness. And the tiny table.

That's great to hear. Not the soup spilling part. But that you are able to remain friends without any kind of lingering, unresolved issues.

People like that you don't cross paths with often.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited February 2015

This is not in direct reference to you or the OP. This is just life advice in the most general sense.
    Absolutely, it's a situation to avoid at all costs :cool: If someone's getting all the drama and hassles of 'being in a relationship' (and that's what those 'friendships' are) one might as well be getting the goodies that make them worthwhile too :D
    edited February 2015

As long as you/they weren't rude to the waitstaff... That's also the biggest warning sign that someone might be acting nice, but is really an a-hole...
    edited February 2015
    Can I open my eyes and ears again? You guys through with all your clumsy hot dates with soup all over you?

Yes? Fine. It is spelled Dreck, by the way. Or Schund.
    edited February 2015
    Well, we've been friends for a while, I hadn't been in a serious relationship before, so I read up on the things that make relationships work, and we figured about halfway through the night that while we have a great time hanging out, we'd go absolutely insane trying to live in the same room. Mostly because I'm a slob (as the 3-foot pile of dirty laundry in my room can attest) and she's OCD about tidiness.

Then I spilled hot soup down my front, she accidentally knocked ranch dressing over her blouse while trying to help me, the waiter almost had a heart attack when he saw the disaster, and dinner ended up being cut short by about half an hour. Seriously, those tables were f*cking tiny.

We met again to try just hanging out and watching a movie some time later, and that went well, so we checked off of our lists and decided mutually that being friends was good, trying something more serious could lead to damage to the friendship (which neither of us wanted). We're still friends, nothing has changed.

It helped that she's just about the nicest person you can possibly imagine, and we already have an established friendship. And we're both very careful about friendships because both of us came from relatively isolated backgrounds (homeschooled for me, small charter school for her), and we don't want to mess these things up.
    edited February 2015
    As long as you/they weren't rude to the waitstaff... That's also the biggest warning sign that someone might be acting nice, but is really an a-hole...

No, we both apologized so much the poor guy told us to stop apologizing. He looked like he almost had a heart attack when he saw the mess, though, so you can't really blame us. I thought my cheeks were going to catch fire, I was so embarrassed.

Like I said, unmitigated disaster. But at least all people involved were nice.