test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How About an Empty New Ship?

lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
His High Crunchiness, Lord Tacofangs was commenting recently about the usefulness of Simple Ship Transitioning, that it works for many people that like the ability as it gets them back to play rather than fiddling with ship gear.

I for one don't need SST and I'm very happy Cryptic added the OptOut feature in the game's Options. Thanks for that, guys! (*Edit: See below)

But Taco's comments got me thinking... What I'd really like Cryptic to add is an OptIn feature that makes it so new ships don't come pre-loaded with all that common gear.

How about an Empty New Ship feature, Cryptic?

I get why you put basic gear on a new ship. I'm sure there are many players (especially new ones) who use the common items, so set this to Off by default. However, as a long-time vet, who uses moderate effort to achieve some min/maxing, I never do. One of the things I hate about getting a new ship, is the time it takes to remove and dispose of that common gear.

If you can't just have no gear, an acceptable alternative would be that instead of being pre-loaded, the common gear could be in a single box in our inventory that we can then dispose of just that one item, or open it and get all the common gear, if for some reason we wanted it.

It sure would be great if I opened a ship and all I had to do was add my goodies and get off to playing without having to double-click each item to remove it, then sell it away at a vendor (for zero EC, not even tuppence for the effort).

So... Please? :D

BTW, to be 100% Clear: This thread is in no way intended to be a slight against people with different playstyles. I have no ill-will towards dev time put in to adding SST to the game, or to those that use it. I don't look down on people who use the common gear that comes free on new ships. If it works for them, they have fun, and are enjoying the game, then great! I'm just hoping the next time SST-like dev time comes 'round, this new feature might be added to the game.

Feb 25th Update:
While switching ships from one to another and then back to the first one (after getting the Mastery in ship B), I gave the new Simple Ship Transition feature a try, and found it's kind of useful. All I could think though, is how much better SST would be if I didn't have to waste time selling off the white common gear that's dumped into my inventory after my new ship is loaded.

Please Cryptic: Give us an option to have an Empty new Ship!

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I personally wouldn't mind the default gear if they could at least be upgradeable, but Character-bound.

Sure the chances of getting a decent mod set on them is low (moreso at higher ranks), but at least it would allow some experimentation with the default weapons.

Or maybe give them exclusive Mods only usable on that ship and its fellow ships (Default Vaadwaur weapons only working on Vaadwaur ships as an example, or Default Elachi Disruptors only working on Elachi ships). They're already set with no value, and are not the same as the plain vanilla ones you could pick up and sell for profit. Might as well go the full mile and give them some semi-unique weapons.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I like this idea. It would be good for me.
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What I'd really like Cryptic to add is an OptIn feature that makes it so new ships don't come pre-loaded with all that common gear.

/Signed

This was surgested in the tribble discusion topic for the feature. I suspect we wont get it. But it had my support.
  • artaniscreedartaniscreed Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    In Dawn of War 2 campaign your guys had default weapons which could be replaced with other gear.

Seems like, imo, this would be a fantastic thing to have in this game.

Newbies would have default weapons and you wouldnt have to worry about having no engine or shield if your gear unequips cause of the loadout bug. :D
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    +1 to the OP's idea.

I spend a lot of time ditching all that useless white trash for nothing. Let's just stop the pretense that it comes prefitted, and just give me the empty ship. Or, yeah, the option thereto.

N.B. Ship should still come with its gimmicky console, of course (if it has any).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I like the idea.

I think that a good way to do it is to have a window appear when you unbox the ship that gives you a choice of whether to have the default gear on the ship, or to have the ship unbox with only the special console/equipment (such as a special deflector or shield or what have you). All the slots that would be taken by the white gear would be left empty. That way you get the best of both, people who already have a ton of gear are not burdened with having to strip a ship, and other less well off players can still get a fully functional ship out of the box.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    While switching ships from one to another and then back to the first one (after getting the Mastery in ship B), I gave the new Simple Ship Transition feature a try, and found it's kind of useful. All I could think though, is how much better SST would be if I didn't have to waste time selling off the white common gear that's dumped into my inventory after my new ship is loaded.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'd say the box idea would be the best one. You'll still have the universal consoles on the non-levelling ships (so on 95% of them). And I have a hunch that disposing of weapons and gear, but not consoles, would be kinda difiicult. So the box idea would be great. Especially knowing that, having seen the Samsar with the warp core separate drop, it would be possible to make it so.
  • blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Biggest complaint people have is they have to trash the useless gear.
    download.jpg
  • spockout1spockout1 Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Remember back in the day when you could buy/get a new ship and the TRIBBLE gear it came with could be sold for EC?

Good times.
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. Except for a T5 Connie. That would be f*%#ing awesome." - Mr. Spock
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    I'd say the box idea would be the best one...
    Biggest complaint people have is they have to trash the useless gear.

Thanks for the support!
    spockout1 wrote: »
    Remember back in the day when you could buy/get a new ship and the TRIBBLE gear it came with could be sold for EC?

Good times.

Ah yes. They weren't worth much, but you did get a small handful of EC for those items. I didn't mind so much having to "take out the trash" then since you got a small stipend for your trouble. Sadly, I guess people would spend all day doing this: commission C-Store ship, reap the equipment for EC, dismiss, commission C-Store ship, reap the equipment for EC, dismiss, repeat forever until so wealthy it was an consider an exploit. Honestly, I just can't imagine how this ever was a worthy expenditure of time for how little EC it earned, but there you go... :rolleyes: It's a similar reason why the base gear (weapon, hypos, etc) that come on a new BOff are also now worth zero.

C'est la vie, I guess.

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yes, I would like to have the option for a new ship to be placed into my ship slot without any gear whatsoever. That way I do not have to go through the hassle of dumping all the equipment....

However, I can see that this beneficial feature to take a turn for the worse. A bug could somehow unintentionally worm it's way into game as a result of many updates and patches over time which could cause the feature to automatically wipe every and all gear off of every ship that every player has including rep gear and crafted gear. It could potentially become a complete disaster down the road.

An example of a bug is the current issue where Boffs tends take coffee / raktijino breaks without permission. Captains are all alone on the bridge and must whip their Boffs back to their stations. So... good idea, but I fear the potential unintended outcome which can result in game wide continuous saved game rollbacks for everyone so that players who have lost everything can get their old gear back. Of course players who have not encountered the bug would fall prey to loosing progress and any new gear they have acquired when the massive rollbacks hits everyone. It's easier to rollback the game for everyone than it is to rollback for only the toons affected.

At this point people would likely stop playing STO for fear of saved game rollbacks that can wipe out days of progress.