test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

B'rel and B'rothl BoP Pets

hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Klingon Discussion
So while I was chilling out above Vulcan farming those omega particles and chatting with some guys on the S31 channel, this thought came to me. We had been discussing builds and pets for the Vo'quv, and there was this comment about how so much CC was needed to make the BoP pets incredibly nasty.

Of course this was due entirely to their abysmal AI... but we all know (at least anyone who's messed around with the pets) that they are absolutely devastating when they get it right. Which is about once a year.

So I had a thought. Cryptic did some great AI work with the Vaadwuar ships. They're fast, they're maneuverable, and they use cannons. So to compensate for the smaller firing arc, they use fast strafing attack runs. And they do it quite well. They will fly past at an angle firing everything at you like mad, and then pass you, slow down, whip around, and do it again. It's very effective and actually quite impressive work on the part of the programmers.

And then it came to me. Imagine if BoP pets did the same thing. They did their fast attack runs, flew past, swung around, and did it again. Over and over until the target died, occasionally cloaking for alpha strikes. Just like the Vaadwuar. All of a sudden these obsolete and outdated BoP pets will become monsters again.

Just a thought.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
Post edited by hereticknight085 on

Comments

• warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The Frigates that have narrow arc focus really need that kind of help. Whether they have better turn and speed, or still slow but turn well... something's got to happen to help them out.

You can make the BOP pets work very well but it takes quite a bit of effort to make the circumstances right. But better movement by them as well as other sluggish, narrow arc Frigates are badly needed.

No tactical ability by any Frigate pet is worth anything if they have a tough time presenting their weapon arcs. Even against stationary targets.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The Frigates that have narrow arc focus really need that kind of help. Whether they have better turn and speed, or still slow but turn well... something's got to happen to help them out.

You can make the BOP pets work very well but it takes quite a bit of effort to make the circumstances right. But better movement by them as well as other sluggish, narrow arc Frigates are badly needed.

No tactical ability by any Frigate pet is worth anything if they have a tough time presenting their weapon arcs. Even against stationary targets.

That's why I suggested altering their AI to make them more like the Vaadwuar combat AI. You see their ships using narrower arc weaponry all the time, but they can use them effectively because they have that excellent strafing AI.

In fact this upgrade could be done to ALL frigate class pets that have this issue, not just the BoP pets (I'm looking at you JHAS pets. Right at you.) I know that certain frigate pets are just hella powerful (IE Romulan Drone Ships, Mobai Frigates, Tholian Mesh Weavers), but those frigate pets use mostly BAs, so they don't need the same positioning as the BoP pets and other frigates that use cannons.

With this upgrade, those pets could be quite devastating again. It's something I would love to see, and I don't even play KDF much.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)