test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

thinking about the Community...

patrickngopatrickngo Member Posts: 9,954 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Klingon Discussion
The KDF, per Cryptic's numbers, is about sixteen percent of the 'population' of toons. Now, among those, are alts for alting purposes, dilithium farmers, people trying it for the first time, and people running KDF mains.

I'm thinking we need to, as a community, pick a specific day-maybe the second saturday of every month, gather, and 'storm' into action.

Just to, y'know, remind everyone we're still here.

(and maybe to TRIBBLE with somebody's metrics, if you have a bit of malice in your heart..)

Now, to do this right, I'm thinking on that day (if the community agrees with the idea in principle) we set specific zones where WE gather, and maybe segregate by level of achievement...

to facilitate teaming between players of similar level and accomplishment. Kind of like how back in the day, we'd see players gathered at Roxy's store on DS9 for STF's and comparisons. This is arranging "Pugmades" and teaming for other content-content that normally doesn't have the population to pop.

For the lowest levels, this idea would mean gathering at some specific area of Qo'noS to run Federation Minefield and the Pi Canis sorties.

Mid-level players (20 to 30) gathering in the bar, to hit the que'd content there-the idea is meet with four others, make a plan, queue up, and go for it.

This would be the 'morning run'. PvP players (yes, there are a few of us left) could then form pugmade teams at their level-range (similar to Ker'rat hunting), and arrange private matches to fill that "Kill x number Klingon captains" mission.

Set up the PvE activities for the morning-then, roll into Ker'rat in the afternoon in force, hitting each level of instance. For low-levels, this is a good time to rack up lots of resources and work on teamwork and team-building, for mid-range and higher, it's a good time terrorizing Feddie Farmers, and for high-levels, it's a chance to stretch those tactical-thinking legs and remind the feddies why KDF ruled Ker'rat for so very, very, long.

Toward evening, groups would then 'move the flag' and storm Drozana for partying and rowdy behaviours, disrupting the placidity of the place with party-poppers, Targ pets, dance-contests for Orions and displays of Klingon behaviour.

As a community, the KDF playerbase is small, we're not well-supported (or supported at all) by the Developers, we're also, I feel, maybe drifting apart a bit too much with all the grinding and the cross-faction...stuff. There are unfleeted KDF out there, there are people who really don't know what a grand bunch of warriors we are, and there are new players that have never touched/tried out missions like Breaking the Planet, Federation Minefield, and the Pi Canis sorties, who don't know about farming EC in N'Vak and have been discouraged by low numbers of allies proportional to the huge target selection in Ker'rat.

There are players that have never fought in a full KDF team in a PvP match, and never fought in a match that wasn't full of feddies and romulans.

So much of what players do in this game is 'solo', or 'only a handfull of people we already know'-I think maybe we need to take the initiative and reassert the supremacy of the Klingon Playerbase-we're small, but we're better.

doing it once a month, we might even get notice from the new EP and CM, maybe even get some support-it's happened before for another ridiculously small portion of the playerbase when Branflakes brought the weight of official support to PvP Bootcamp in 2013.

Even if your "main" is a Fed, and you only use your KDF for farming, taking a day, and letting your hair down as a KDF out of the busy schedule of repetitive grind might be just the thing to take some of the edge off of that repetitive grind.

These are just some thoughts. an idea. For KDF. We don't get much, maybe it's time we made our own.
Nature doesn't HAVE to be nice, or polite.

Free Hong Kong.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    That is not even close to what I do. I spend 99% of my online time on KDF. But I mostly just have STO running on the computer beside me while I do actual work. I might do some STFs, or maybe a Defera run, but I mostly just monitor the fleet and the chat.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • qunlar2020qunlar2020 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I can pop in between farming turn ins. Pug a few.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I was Klingon before Klingon was cool.
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    1. I think the only metrics they care about are "Fed vs KDF vs Rom characters."

If a new player tries the game, likely it's a Federation character. If they leave, that character is still counted. And You used to have to have a Federation character to unlock KDF, so, there's that. By all accounts, this is a FED game, and those who don't like it...well, can deal with it or leave. I don't think anything we do will change that.

2. PvP is both unpopular, and ill-conceived in this game.

Personally, I have 0 interest in anything Cryptic Pvp. It's just an mess, and it would take so much work to fix it, that at this point, it's a lost cause.

3. All of these runs could be set up on a KDF channel, no? I'd join it.

4. Fleets. Ugh.

From what I've seen, most of the larger KDF fleets are FED fleets with a KDF version. From what I've experienced, that means that there's a good chance that it's just "there to say we have one." I wasted so much time and resources because of this, it's soured me on fleets altogether.

All this being said, I absolutely have noticed that, for some reason, KDF players do seem better. Maybe it's because it's someone being bored with their long-used FED characters. Maybe it's because of tighter groups of non-cross faction teaming. Who knows? I do know, that I would rather PUG with all KDF than a mix or all FED- 99% of the time.

TL;DR I'd be in on this, but not expecting much to come of it. I like the idea, though.
  • swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    the only thing that can push the kdf numbers is a bit more love for the kdf faction from the dev team
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What do you mean? They just gave the KDF their first EVER full command-cruiser setup! It's got great upgrades as you play it and a T5 trait, too! It doesn't look butt fugly, it's actually as good as any fed cruiser of the equivelant setting, and it takes that Vorcha boff seating and bumps the sci to a LtCDR, so you can add that grav well you always wanted. We've been waiting for a cruiser this good on the KDF side for YEARS! The devs finally gave some love to the KDF! Woohoo!

Oddly.. it coincides with the 5th anniversary, but, still! Even has one of those hard to pronounce Klingon names. "Sam'Sar"

Heh... funny Klingon names... :D
  • bravecatherinebravecatherine Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What do you mean? They just gave the KDF their first EVER full command-cruiser setup! It's got great upgrades as you play it and a T5 trait, too! It doesn't look butt fugly, it's actually as good as any fed cruiser of the equivelant setting, and it takes that Vorcha boff seating and bumps the sci to a LtCDR, so you can add that grav well you always wanted. We've been waiting for a cruiser this good on the KDF side for YEARS! The devs finally gave some love to the KDF! Woohoo!

Oddly.. it coincides with the 5th anniversary, but, still! Even has one of those hard to pronounce Klingon names. "Sam'Sar"

Heh... funny Klingon names... :D

Your confidence leaves me cold.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    i think we should have organised a raid on esd during the winter event :D
    anyway, i am fully on board with anything that could possibly benefit the glory of the Empire.
  • tarsudotarsudo Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    patrickngo wrote: »

I'm thinking we need to, as a community, pick a specific day-maybe the second saturday of every month, gather, and 'storm' into action...

I am agree with you. But maybe this month is difficult for me... second saturday=14 feb.... if i go to play and no celebrate with my wife (she really kill me) :D

But other Saturday isn't problem with me. I propose 14:00 gmt-6.

tlhIngan maH!
    Qapla'
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    puv vaj Ker'rat!
    fly warrior to Ker'rat
    Hiv yuQjIjDIvI' !
    attack the federation
    raD chaHvo ghIgtal logh
    drive them to the death from the skies

SuDrol
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    puv vaj Ker'rat!
    fly warrior to Ker'rat
    Hiv yuQjIjDIvI' !
    attack the federation
    raD chaHvo ghIgtal logh
    drive them to the death from the skies

SuDrol

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Um, I'll just be cruising around the sector blocks in my Bortasqu. If I see anyone of you I'll give you a wave.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
    edited February 2015
    Foran event like this to work we will need someone to take charge. Plan and promote through out Febuary. That someone would also need help getting the word out. Setting the event after the anniversery event would be a time of less fed population and server stress. Also be ready for it to be small and can build in size the more often we do it.

Patrick this is your idea and so your critter to kill, you have my support.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2015
    Alright it's a plan. I'll start trying to spread the word. Through out the anniversary event we return to Qo'nos, i'll mention It in zone chat when I enter a social area. Also send an in-game mail to my fleet leads. Might be a good idea to talk some one from dps league or some heavy hitter to workshop damage at some point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2015
    Wait, what do you want me to call it? "Warrior Day?"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    zipagat wrote: »
    Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Qapla! yay Qapla!
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    qunlar2020 wrote: »
    Wait, what do you want me to call it? "Warrior Day?"

I'm in.

And it should be called something appropriately appropriately pugnacious and confrontational. After all, we are Klingons, (well, KDF anyhow), not choirboys.
    edited February 2015
    I'm in.

And it should be called something appropriately appropriately pugnacious and confrontational. After all, we are Klingons, (well, KDF anyhow), not choirboys.

Agreed, confrontational and glorius. Might be good to set time frame at least for event start probably best to keep it loose, and figure out a way to incorporate over-seas players if possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm in.

Amen, calling it 'Warrior Day' is like calling 'Halloween' a 'Harvest Festival'.

Can't promise that I could come to it though.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
    edited February 2015
    Lol, you will be with us in spirit, if not a blade at my side.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    keep it alive post it every place a klingon might be looking. and try to get some of the more outspoken people involved. even if you think they are trolls. some really are not as bad as others think. ( and its usually feddy bears Bad mouthing anyways)
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    before we can do much in that vein we need to have some sort of a plan. i reckon we would be better off just picking a day and having a loose agenda. i fear if we have a very specific time scheduled there may not be much takeup.
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    patrickngo wrote: »
    (and maybe to TRIBBLE with somebody's metrics, if you have a bit of malice in your heart..)
    I hate the metric-focus MMOs have become consumed by.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
    edited February 2015
    before we can do much in that vein we need to have some sort of a plan. i reckon we would be better off just picking a day and having a loose agenda. i fear if we have a very specific time scheduled there may not be much takeup.

Exactly day and start time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I could get behind this. Dunno how much or how long I'd be able to participate, but I'd certainly try my damnedest to do both.

As for a name, 'Day of Havoc'? 'Bat'leth Day'? 'Day of Acquiring Glory'?
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What would be nice is for Cryptic to use their in-game announcement system for a pop-up about the event upon every log-in of a KDF character in STO, once the details are set. I know, I know, keep dreaming shpoks....:o

P.S. 'Day of Rage' seems like hitting the nail on the head LMAO!!! :D:D Still 'Festival of Blood and Glory' seems more apropriate.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • tarsudotarsudo Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    shpoks wrote: »
    What would be nice is for Cryptic to use their in-game announcement system for a pop-up about the event upon every log-in of a KDF character in STO, once the details are set. I know, I know, keep dreaming shpoks....:o

P.S. 'Day of Rage' seems like hitting the nail on the head LMAO!!! :D:D Still 'Festival of Blood and Glory' seems more apropriate.

If Cryptic could be announce ... that would be nice!!

My vote:

Festival of Blood and Glory

Qapla'