test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PVE Queue changes - LAZY development, and more 'NOT listening'

jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
I may be wrong but my honest take on the changes in todays (5th year anniversary) patch can be easily summarised as follows:

*Dev looks at 'metrics' - specifically popularity of queue (how often is it played) and average failure rate

*Queues that are overly popular or low failure rate = nerf rewards

*Queues that are less popular or high failure rate = buff rewards

This is LAZY.

Can you not spare the time to look at the individual maps and see where the choke-points/difficulties are?

eg people fail Bug hunt because its hard to see the alarm bugs and it isn't made clear that they should be primary targets.

There are STILL bugs that mean maps cannot be completed (Benthans in Battle of Korfez and Anomaly in Vicious cycle) which will affect the metrics for these maps.

There are also a whole HOST of scaling issues that DR introduced and now months after the release they are still problems...

Examples include virtually the whole of the Cure Space map where scaling issues mean that the Kang is virtually indestructible (you have made a nerf in this patch but I don't know what this will mean) as are the ships that attack it - those BOPS are RIDICULOUS. Whereas the Cubes at the three points are far too weak. Another example is the Nukara Self-destruct mission where the warp core is FAR TOO WEAK and does not last anytime at all against the buffed Tholian attacks. This is why the map fails all the time and no amount of buffed rewards will change the fact that people will still fail this.

Secondly my understanding is that when you have altered the rewards all you are adjusting are Mark rewards. This is crazy, since marks are no longer the most important things from pve content. If you took a look at why players are playing in the queues I would 'guess-timate' that perhaps 30% play for marks, whereas 30% play for dil and 40% play for crafting mats. Putting meaningful skill point rewards (thank you but I will wait to see what magnitude these are before having any true feeling of gratitude) only decreases Marks' share of the desired rewards and reasons for playing this content.

DR was a massive change to pretty much everything. How the difficulties of older content was adjusted was just lazy. Every map needed changing and balancing across a HUGE disparity in player ability (again something that, although it existed pre-DR, was made MUCH MUCH worse post-DR). Objectives needed to be re-thought and re-designed. Enemy and ally strength and damage needed to be re-scaled at every difficulty setting. Instead we got across the board stuff that was based off a single flawed equation and causes the majority of issues people now see.

Happy 5th year. It's been a long road, I just hope that someone starts paying attention to the causes of players problems (hint: listen to us) and works to fix them soon, otherwise I doubt I will be saying happy 6th :(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
Post edited by jackal1701apw on

Comments

• pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I was really looking forward to the anniversary, then was reading through the patch notes getting increasingly irate, just sitting going, 'what?!', 'really!?', etc.

I genuinely can't believe half the changes they make. They've still pulled all the Romulan missions despite significant outcry, absolutely blasting rewards again to try and 'fix the metrics' rather than, you know, just fixing the game. And then (sorry Taco, on this one) they have the cheap to say we throw things back in their face. This is why, guys, this is exactly why.
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    the alarm bugs

wait, there are alarm bugs?

Many maps are very poorly designed. Many objectives/mechanics are not clear. Many objectives have no wiggle room.

Take Khitomer for instance. If you didn't read a walk thru or have someone walk you thru it would any of it make much sense as to how to procede or what anyone meant when they were were screaming A1! A1! you noobs, wtf are you down there. DONT SHOOT THE BORG SHOOT THE NODE IDIOTS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Listened to the dev in the priority one podcast talking about re-doing the icons.

I appreciate the effort involved and I look forward to seeing how they look, but it sounds an awful lot like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

I'm not a doom and gloom guy though....PWE is making money hand over fist with this game so it's not going to die any time soon. However I think their priorities are a little bit off, even if I appreciate the work that has gone into this patch and DR in general.
  • kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Remember, they don't want you accomplishing too much too quick. They can't make the claim that they have months of content then. Also, slowing us down gives them more time on monetizing that last little bit of the game that hasn't been monetized yet.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Listened to the dev in the priority one podcast talking about re-doing the icons.

I appreciate the effort involved and I look forward to seeing how they look, but it sounds an awful lot like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

I'm not a doom and gloom guy though....PWE is making money hand over fist with this game so it's not going to die any time soon. However I think their priorities are a little bit off, even if I appreciate the work that has gone into this patch and DR in general.

like all the past icon changes, none make any real sense or are clear as to what they are. Once you figure out they symbols they'll likely change them,

Like I said on tribble, I only know what they are because of where I put them in my tray. Without the tray or text I couldn't tell you what any thing is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]