test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Guardians of the Galaxy Ripoff

stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
Vaadwaur Officer Uniforms will also be available for purchase on the Lobi Crystal Store! These uniforms include many of the visual styles seen in use by Vaadwaur ground troops, and can be mix-and-matched interchangeably with existing uniform styles. This unlock also includes helmet and mask options. From the classic military duster, to the intimidating array of mask options, Captains like you will have a plethora of options available to outfit themselves the way you want to! - Cryptic

Is it just me or is the uniform a Guardian of the Galaxy ripoff? Talk about completely steering away from anything remotely Star Trek related - the new Lock Box will feature some weird ships that aren't even canon.

Truly now the end of an era is at hand, where there are no more canon vessels to see. Heck we have yet to see an Official Federation lockbox with key Canon vessels of premium quality. :(
StarTrekIronMan.jpg
Post edited by stark2k on

Comments

• hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm surprised nobody noticed this in October... :P
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    stark2k wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the uniform a Guardian of the Galaxy ripoff? Talk about completely steering away from anything remotely Star Trek related - the new Lock Box will feature some weird ships that aren't even canon.

Truly now the end of an era is at hand, where there are no more canon vessels to see. Heck we have yet to see an Official Federation lockbox with key Canon vessels of premium quality. :(

No one cares Stark
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Not seeing Guardians of the Galaxy. My first thought was actually 40k Imperial Guard crossed with Wehrmacht.

And guess what. There's only one single Vaadwaur ship in the canon, and it's a fighter. Cryptic's artists did a pretty good job extrapolating a capital ship lineup from that.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    No one cares Stark

what he said.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Is it just me or is the uniform a Guardian of the Galaxy ripoff?

It is .
    Luckily the paintball pistol ripoffs are keeping me distracted ... .

... plus, with that mask, how many Darth Vader's do yo think will be flaunting their originality ...
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    It is .
    Luckily the paintball pistol ripoffs are keeping me distracted ... .

... plus, with that mask, how many Darth Vader's do yo think will be flaunting their originality ...

I think it makes a better Shredder/Samurai style mask.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    ... plus, with that mask, how many Darth Vader's do you think will be flaunting their originality ...

I find your lack of fashion disturbing.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well this IS Champions Online - Star Trek edition...

Starlord IS a champion...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So... I'm looking at an odd assortment of costumes. I think a Steampunk Starfleet uniform is now pretty doable.

For what it's worth:

I don't anticipate logging in dramatically more without rewards fixes but I already have Lobi reserves so some of this will at least get me online to spend some of that and play with the tailor.
  • shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So... I'm looking at an odd assortment of costumes. I think a Steampunk Starfleet uniform is now pretty doable.

For what it's worth:

I don't anticipate logging in dramatically more without rewards fixes but I already have Lobi reserves so some of this will at least get me online to spend some of that and play with the tailor.

For a truly steampunk STO uniform we need a blunderbus like we had in CoH.
    edited January 2015
    I think it makes a better Shredder/Samurai style mask.

Shredder ??
    Oh ... you're walking on thin ice there good sir ... :(

... but thanks for the sensation of Deja Vu ...
    edited January 2015
    coupaholic wrote: »
    I find your lack of fashion disturbing.

... you can't take the sky from me ...
  • furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    With the long brown coats and gas mask-like helmets, I think they were going for more of a World War I style look. This becomes especially apparent in the Kobali adventure zone, where we're basically fighting in trenches, and the Vaadwaur's weaponry similarly looks like antiquated kinetic weapons.

And if they only used canon ships for the Vaadwaur, we'd only be going up against the fighters we saw in Voyager which, even with improved technology, wouldn't make for much of a threat.

Based on your username, avatar, and signature, I think someone has been watching too many Marvel movies. :rolleyes:
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Not picturing 40k Imperial Guard crossed with Wehrmacht. My first thought was actually Guardians of the Galaxy! How strange!

OP: I sympathize, but I think the time to worry about canon is over. Star Trek, as you may know and love it, is over, and the whole notion of canon needs to go out the window. What we have here is a stale IP with a fanbase of purists that froth at the mouth if anything hints of "not being canon." Of course, if something IS canon, then they complain that it isn't as close to canon as they'd like to to be. That's why taking on the Star Trek IP is risky. Look at all the indignation cause by the Abrams movies despite the fact that is making Star Trek more accessible than it has been in YEARS to new generations of fans (and people who were previously -- and rightly so -- weirded out by the whole "Trek" fandom).

Canon by all means is an important starting point for a game, but it can also hold an IP back from adapting and evolving as it ages, something essential for long-term survival.
    Define "canon".

@the canon-loyalists: If "canon" just means "what came out of the creator's mind"... so what? As long as all of these STO story/game elements are consistent with Star Trek continuity, why does "canon" matter?
  • quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    IMO i think having certain unique ships to the game is alright , though i prefer FACTION specific ships for my TOONs . The ships are well done and look great .

though the likenesses to other IPs is there , such as STARLORD and the Gou'ald mothership looking ship. Baal should be happy though . (hail Baal) .
    its kinda cheesy to cash in on the popularity of said IPs likeness though.
  • seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    For what its worth, in addition to the Vaadwaur fighter, the APU ship is canon as well.
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • heckgoblinheckgoblin Member Posts: 685
    edited January 2015
    I hope they add Husnock warships at some point. Those things were badass.

And as a bonus, their previous owners are extinct due to upsetting an omnipotent being.
    I AM WAR.
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'd say the look of the vaadwar has a striking resemblance to these Fellows

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Armageddon_Steel_Legion

Unsurprising since they both used the same real world inspiration in their creation of the art style
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2015
    You think the original Star Trek creators were never influenced by something they read or watched? Nothing exists in a vacuum.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    You think the original Star Trek creators were never influenced by something they read or watched? Nothing exists in a vacuum.
    One popular story is that the original Enterprise was conceived as a way of merging to (at the time) coolest spaceship designs... flying saucers and rockets.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    drogyn1701 wrote: »

Case in point a Star Trek TAS episode based on a Known Space book.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    hartzilla wrote: »
    Case in point a Star Trek TAS episode based on a Known Space book.
    Yeah, well... that's because the episode was WRITTEN by Niven, bot because someone copied Niven.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ightenighten Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Pretty much unsure why the game bothers to even use the STO license anymore... Its more like a kitbash of Eve - W40k and general "cant be arsed" design.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Is it just me or is the uniform a Guardian of the Galaxy ripoff?

I'm not going to bother reading through the rest, but this reminds me of folks calling games WoW clones for having things that existed before WoW did. The Star-Lord outfit from the movie is hardly a completely original design.
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited January 2015

What did you expect a "BORG" boxed? They are running out of foes...the day they do a borg box its the day the servers shut down...might be soon but hope not yet :D
    DUwNP.gif

• szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Based on a recent movie instead of World War 1 Trench Coats/Gas Masks the Vaadwaur thematically scream of in just about every way?..

Yeah. Sure. Totally... :rolleyes:
  • antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Mask + coat + nelen exils gun = ... yep that's starlord alright.