test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Planning For My Future - Science Captain on a Pathfinder

e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Federation Discussion
Thanks to the ideas from all the other threads here and on the academy, I've been improving on my Pathfinder build. RIght now, I am hitting 8k DPS. It isn't much, but I have a lot to go in terms of equipment and piloting skills. I'm not aiming for uber high numbers, but I do want to be useful and be able to hold my own in a PUG.

So the build is focused around exotic damage. Here it is as of today:

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=curiosity_9251

Secondary Deflector is a Deteriorating Secondary Deflector. I will replace this with the Secondary Deflector that affects GW damage when it comes out.

Future plans:
  • Replace Particle Generator consoles to +Plasma +Threat fleet particle generators.
  • Drop Subspace Integration Circuit and replace it with an Advanced RCS with +PartGen when I can craft one.
  • Replace Shield Refrequencer with a Particle Field Exciter (+PartGen) when I craft one.
  • Upgrade everything to MkXIV (where applicable)

I do like the clicky consoles since they add some different things to do. For Blockade missions for example, I would replace the Spatial Charge with the Projected Singularity Console to push attackers away from the freighters. I find that they do good spike damage too whenever I need them.

Do my plans sound good? Looking forward to feedback.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• farseeridranelfarseeridranel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hello,

regarding the R&D consoles, I would recommend to save EC and buy them from exchange. I know they are very expensive, but if you try to craft them by yourself, then it might take forever and you waste endless amounts of resources. The problem is that, even if you have a ~50/50 chance for an extra mod, it will be unlikely to get the PRTG mod. There are so many other possible mods that the chance for your desired console [prtg] is very very small (I guess someone somewhere has calculated the chances). Of course, you might be very lucky and craft one right away, but it is more likely to face lots of frustration.

The projected singularity shares a cool down with gravity well, right?

I would maybe change the subspace integration console for something that benefits from high prtg numbers. Like isometric charge or so.

I quite like ionic turbulence. Have you tried this ability? You could use your lt universal for eng and the hybrid seat for OSS and ionic turbulence.

Otherwise your build looks good. And don't worry about DPS too much. Usefulness cannot always be expressed in numbers. You have gravity well and tractor beam repulsors, so you are very useful in terms of control :)
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Thanks!

Yes I've been considering buying the console instead of crafting it. It'll take a while though. Last I saw them, those consoles cost 75M and up. I figure I could try to sell some of the other stuff I'll craft to fund that. I was able to sell-off a couple of these consoles when I tried to upgrade plain ones from the exchange and was able to get more than my money back.

Yeah the projected singularity shares a cooldown with GW. That's why I only use it on the blockade STF. I tried Ionic Turbulence too and I liked it on my Scryer. I am not using it on the Pathfinder since it would have meant losing my spare TBR.

Doesn't particle generators affect the subspace integration circuit's implosion? I thought it did. I could try to get an Isometric Charge console if I get enough EC for one.

Quick question on fleet consoles, do the +Plasma modifiers come at random or do they show up before you buy the console? My fleet is still low-level so I do not know how the fleet stores are supposed to look like with these consoles. I'm also trying to save up on fleet credits for these items too (almost at 300k now).
  • farseeridranelfarseeridranel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    e30ernest wrote: »
    Thanks!

Yes I've been considering buying the console instead of crafting it. It'll take a while though. Last I saw them, those consoles cost 75M and up. I figure I could try to sell some of the other stuff I'll craft to fund that. I was able to sell-off a couple of these consoles when I tried to upgrade plain ones from the exchange and was able to get more than my money back.

Yeah the projected singularity shares a cooldown with GW. That's why I only use it on the blockade STF. I tried Ionic Turbulence too and I liked it on my Scryer. I am not using it on the Pathfinder since it would have meant losing my spare TBR.

Doesn't particle generators affect the subspace integration circuit's implosion? I thought it did. I could try to get an Isometric Charge console if I get enough EC for one.

Quick question on fleet consoles, do the +Plasma modifiers come at random or do they show up before you buy the console? My fleet is still low-level so I do not know how the fleet stores are supposed to look like with these consoles. I'm also trying to save up on fleet credits for these items too (almost at 300k now).

Not sure on the damage of the subspace console, but isometric charge hits multiple targets. It was just an example, though. Who knows what new consoles we will also get in the next season:)

You can see the plasma modifier in advance. There is no gamble. Buy them at MK X and upgrade them. I think that is overall cheaper than buying them at Mk XII.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Thanks!

To the last part:

There are 3 categories for the Fleet Science Consoles at the Embassy:
    +Plasma for all Science Consoles
    +Shield Regen for all Science Consoles
    + Hull Regen for all Science Consoles

the +Threat -Threat is included in all consoles.

just click on the +Plasma category and select your favorite Console, MK level and +\- Threat.
    edited January 2015
    Thank you! It's good to know that there won't be any gambling involved with getting the right fleet console. :D Makes it less of a grind for fleet credits. :)

So Mk X then upgrade it is. :)
  • saxmanusmcsaxmanusmc Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    A note for you when you replace your consoles; I had seen it posted that the +Plasma fleet embassy consoles increase the DoT on the Particle Emissions Plasma torp.

I run a Pathfinder on my tac captain and averaging 13-17K per ISA run depending on the team, and thats in all MK XII gear still. My sci captain runs a tac vesta torp boat currently doing 10-13K in ISA. I don't have the builds listed on STO Academy yet but if you want to see them and think they would be of any help I will build them out.
    FA Janin Delwynn - Fed Tac Officer
    FA Dion - Romulan Engineer Officer
    FA Zophie Delwynn - Fed Science Officer
  • birzarkbirzark Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    with an exotic build the higher the particle gen the better combined with the R&D trait so 400 prtg = 100% chance to crit with exotic dmg.

I am also after the elusive partg field exciter and what i have been doing is buying the mk 12 version on the exchange and upgraded them to see if i can get the mod, if not usually sell for way more than the original you bought and since i can make upgrade kits its all about trying til you succeed.

As far as your build i would only use the science consoles for particle gen consoles only,its the only way to get those numbers higher. I would drop the nukara console and put the leech console in its place and get a better prtg console in its place.
    edited January 2015
    saxmanusmc wrote: »
    A note for you when you replace your consoles; I had seen it posted that the +Plasma fleet embassy consoles increase the DoT on the Particle Emissions Plasma torp.

I run a Pathfinder on my tac captain and averaging 13-17K per ISA run depending on the team, and thats in all MK XII gear still. My sci captain runs a tac vesta torp boat currently doing 10-13K in ISA. I don't have the builds listed on STO Academy yet but if you want to see them and think they would be of any help I will build them out.

Yes that's one of the reasons why I am planning to get the +Plasma consoles. The Particle Emissions torps are pretty good, especially when fired on a cluster of targets. I'd want to buff their effectiveness with those consoles.

I'd love to see your builds too, including the Vesta. I have a Vesta too and I'm planning to set that up when I'm done building the Pathfinder.
    birzark wrote: »
    with an exotic build the higher the particle gen the better combined with the R&D trait so 400 prtg = 100% chance to crit with exotic dmg.

I am also after the elusive partg field exciter and what i have been doing is buying the mk 12 version on the exchange and upgraded them to see if i can get the mod, if not usually sell for way more than the original you bought and since i can make upgrade kits its all about trying til you succeed.

As far as your build i would only use the science consoles for particle gen consoles only,its the only way to get those numbers higher. I would drop the nukara console and put the leech console in its place and get a better prtg console in its place.

That's a pretty interesting suggestion. I'll probably do that to gain that crit chance. Thank you for your feedback!
    edited February 2015
    With the new secondary deflectors finally in the game, I decided to try my luck at crafting one. Made one from Mk II and upgraded onwards. Scored this one on the second round of Mk XIV:

Secondary_Deflector.png

The added Particle Gen points are very much welcome for my build. I am interested on the "Chance" modifier. Does it stack on top of the 20% subsystem chance to create a 45% chance to disable a subsystem? Are there other bonuses that would be awesome to have on the secondary deflector that would help my build even more than this?

Thanks!
  • birzarkbirzark Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    With the new secondary deflectors finally in the game, I decided to try my luck at crafting one. Made one from Mk II and upgraded onwards. Scored this one on the second round of Mk XIV:

Secondary_Deflector.png

The added Particle Gen points are very much welcome for my build. I am interested on the "Chance" modifier. Does it stack on top of the 20% subsystem chance to create a 45% chance to disable a subsystem? Are there other bonuses that would be awesome to have on the secondary deflector that would help my build even more than this?

Thanks!

Its better to craft at mk2 for better chance of hitting gold before even getting to mk7 and you can use less valuable materials. Same as the beams or other weapons.
    edited February 2015
    Yes the deflector was crafted at Mk II. I was looking for bonuses that would fit my build and Mk II was really cheap to craft so I could go at it multiple times.
    edited February 2015
    Finally got my Particle Manipulator trait and I am now averaging mid 9ks in ISN, though I haven't had a good run yet. Might try out advanced next. :)

I still have to get those Embassy Consoles though. Once I have those, all I have left to do with this ship is upgrade my weapons from Mk XII to XIV.
    edited February 2015
    Got my hands on those embassy consoles. I got 3 +threat and 1 -threat console. At Mk X, I am now at the mid 12ks on a pug. Now starting the upgrade to Mk XIV.

It's pretty hard for me to get a good parse on ISA since I can't use my main damaging skills on the transformers (GW and TBR) since that would risk pulling the nanite ships towards them and cause the mission to fail. So I am pretty happy where I am now. With weapon upgrades, I'll see if I can make it to 20k. :)

Edit:

Updated build posted. Some notes:
    - The blank Engineering Console Slot should have a Constriction Anchor (not included in the list of options)
    - The embassy consoles should be 3 Weapon Signature Amplifier Consoles and 1 Weapon Signature Nullifier.

Edit 2:
    Got the embassy consoles to MkXIV. Still have to do an ISA run but I am now doing 8.5-8.7k on Starbase 234 runs FWIW. :)
    edited February 2015
    Is the Rule 62 console worth having in this build? I've seen a lot of sci-builds using this (for the flow caps + torp damage I guess). Thinking of replacing the Counter-Command console with this. Thoughts are welcome!
  • odisseusrhodisseusrh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    this may be a weird way to ask but does anyone know the part. gen and grav gen? I mean I have to check again but last I look my Pathfinder has 210 part gen and 108 grav gen. I was thinking of getting an Exotic Particle console and was wondering if I should go for the UR [PartGen] or [GravGen] one.
    edited February 2015
    odisseusrh wrote: »
    this may be a weird way to ask but does anyone know the part. gen and grav gen? I mean I have to check again but last I look my Pathfinder has 210 part gen and 108 grav gen. I was thinking of getting an Exotic Particle console and was wondering if I should go for the UR [PartGen] or [GravGen] one.

It depends on what you want to do really. If you want to stack up on exotic damage, PartGen is the way to go especially if you want to take full advantage of the Particle Manipulator trait. If you are mor interested in controlling NPCs then you'd want more GravGens.