test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

cant login..too many attempts message WTF

ightenighten Member Posts: 181 Arc User
Every time I try to log on I cant some weird Too many attempts message.. WTF is going on
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by ighten on

Comments

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Did you enter your Username and Password correctly? If you do it incorrectly 5 times in a row it will timeout for a bit.

It is also possible that someone else has been trying to enter your information and they timed you out.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Check the e-mail associated with your STO account to see if you are getting any unusual e-mail from PWE for things like password recovery or something like that.

My advice is to change your e-mail address for STO (I assume that is possible) because it seems someone may have gotten hold of your e-mail address. Make one that is unique for STO.
  • ightenighten Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Pretty sure its correct and I even did a change just to make sure - even that then failed.. Everything was fine this morning
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm having severe connection issues, lags, for the past week on weekdays, usually around the time smirk starts streaming his nonsense... don't think it's related per say, but it is very strange.
    edited January 2015
    Well, I just logged into my account without incident so it is not system-wide. My guess is that either you entered the incorrect information too many times or someone else is trying to enter your account. As long as someone has your Username they can set-up a bot to spam passwords over and over.

I would say give it an hour and see if there is still problems. I would also do a computer restart before logging in again in case you are dealing with a harddrive blip or some-such. A restart would clear all that out. You might also want to try a Forced Verify from your Launcher. Either way give it enough time for the counter to cool down completely otherwise you will never get in. If you give it a full hour and do all of the above and still cannot get in then send in a Support Ticket for assistance.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited January 2015
    For me it just says connection to account server timed out. I highly doubt that's a sign that someone is using a bot to try to hack my account...
    edited January 2015
    For me it just says connection to account server timed out. I highly doubt that's a sign that someone is using a bot to try to hack my account...
    No. A timeout is generally a Server or ISP pathing issue. The too many attempts message generally comes from entering the wrong information 5 times in a row.
    edited January 2015
    Well nothing wrong with my ISP, and no one else seems to be reporting any server issues so I am puzzled. But it does appear regularly since the Classic Romulan ep streams started, even the timeframe is matching.
    edited January 2015
    Odd thing is I have had no "new IP address is trying to access" etc emails and all that usual stuff but I have swapped to the laptop..

Will re boot and leave it a while... Let my DOFFS stew in there own sweat for a while
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2015
    Well nothing wrong with my ISP, and no one else seems to be reporting any server issues so I am puzzled. But it does appear regularly since the Classic Romulan ep streams started, even the timeframe is matching.
    The thing to understand here is that just because you do not see anything wrong with your ISP does not mean there is not an issue.

An ISP is like a truck on a road. It can get to 50 buildings without problems simply by going on the streets it is told to go on, but the moment it has to go building 51 the road might be blocked. A good ISP will send your truck on an alternate route to get to building 51. A bad ISP will let your truck sit in the traffic jam for hours.

So the 30 hops your ISP takes to get you to this forum, or Netflix, are not the same 35 hops your ISP takes you to get to Cogent's Severs. If any part of those 35 hops are slowed or jammed it means a clear signal is not getting to and from the Servers, and you will get lag and timed out.

When you have lag or time-outs the first thing you should do is run a TraceRt to see where the problem is. Then you will know if it is the Servers or your ISP.

There is also Video Card lag. Your card is going under and it cannot keep up and so starts to lag everything. Video Cards going bad can often give you BSOD drops too.
    edited January 2015
    I did a traceRt and included it in a ticket to support, but they havent responded yet.
  • j0hn41j0hn41 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    And if the Cogent nodes are slow/dropping your packets, then your screwed & can't do anything about it.
    edited January 2015
    Solved here though not realy sure how. It either fixed itself by waiting an hour or the powering down everything including the router solved it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]