test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Progression and new players.

cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
I was going to reply to PvE queue thread but i realized this feedback strays too far from the intended purpose of that thread.

The issue with the game currently is that it has no smooth progression. If i log on now I can not progress in anything but specialization and leveling reps and R&D.

Currently the PvE queue progression is mostly broken for most players except the best of the best or the super rich. The only way for mediocre players such as my self, who don't use macros to progress and get the gear we want/need. Is forcing us to find a fleet or other good players. Which not only takes more time and isn't guaranteed success. While I do have great fleet, I often like to pug. Mostly because i don't have time to gather a group myself. The other part is I have non dps orientated build, which is much less then optimal for most content in the game. But i love my tank and i prefer a more defensive style on my main. I find it very hard to even attempt a pug because i know i can't carry the team at all.

Partly because a lot of the content, needs better builds and gear. Then most new players even have access to unless they do the very content they need the gear for and succeed. This is daunting challenge for new players, and i have feeling turns away more then it brings in.

No wonder so many just run argala its easy content with constant progression, VS trying to pug for better gear with no guarantee of progression for 30mins to a 1hr of their time. I would hazard to say most people who pug are looking for easy progression.

While i appreciate your effort of making the game more difficult but in it's current state your hurting your new player experience of the game. The difficulty spike and complexity is too great.

Here's a few area's of improvement, duty officers these are very poorly explained and the duty roster UI needs improvement. There is also a lot of duty officer powers that aren't fun/fluff or good. Then there are some crucial or amazing ones. If your going to put these in the game were do they fit fluff or optimization ? But a new player would be so clueless of what the best one is for their character.

This complexity of the game as a whole, is also causing it to be harder and harder for you the developers to balance the game play of this game. For those with sub optimal builds that don't go for the best damage have a daunting task at trying to progress, it ruins their enjoyment of the gameplay due it not being balanced well with at least a good tolerance of different builds .

Before even those with horrible builds would be able to easily progress through content. This though made the alot of the top players feel unchallenged and progress too quickly. This feeling is and was understandable.

At this point the only way to balance the gameplay for most people, that i can see, is to complete overhaul alot of the systems. First of all removing or improving BO abilities/captain abilities, that just don't preform as well to the abilities which preform more optimally. Then on to the skill tree system, total balance pass as well as instead of telling the player how much skill they will get from said skill purchase, tell them how much % or additive improvement of __
they will receive.

On to the duty officer system, improve the roster UI make it more obvious what a active duty officer actually means. As well as solidify the direction that duty officers are going with in the game. example: Are they meant to optimize abilities ? or are they meant to add fluff or differentiation ? them being both makes them exceedingly hard to balance because why would i slot anything but the most optimal. Shoving some of the most interesting doffs into permanent storage.

Traits currently feel well fleshed out, not much I can complain about here other then BO traits, which should not only be selectable and earn able. None of them should stack this promotes racially diverse and interesting crews. Though I wouldn't be apposed to allowing __ race to have a total of 5 space and 5 ground possible traits. To allow single race ships be viable.

Also with the new bridge officer system remove the rarity of bridge officers. You can replace this with BO trait boxs earn able through doff missions opening one gives you the ability to slot that rarity of trait to a boff, boffs can have 1 space and one ground trait equipped at anytime.

Another pet peeve of mine is now that we have the R&D system there isn't much point in equipment drops anymore, other then to sell. So they crowd up people inventory till a person sells them for EC. Why not make creeps drop EC instead. If people want equipment that isn't a reward or bought in rep,fleet,stores or exchange. They can use the R&D system to make it, and its just as random if not a little more so.