test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lol and you try to tell me this game isn't dead?!

jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
I just sat in ESD for 7 whole minutes.

And nothing was said in Zone chat.

By anyone.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
Post edited by jackal1701apw on

Comments

• Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    that's probably for the best.

That being said... Zone chat off?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Nope.

After the 7 minutes I was feeling a little 'rrronrly' so I said something...
    I saw it and a couple of people replied.

I get that it is a dead time of day, but seriously... ESD Zone chat?!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Nope.

After the 7 minutes I was feeling a little 'rrronrly' so I said something...
    I saw it and a couple of people replied.

I get that it is a dead time of day, but seriously... ESD Zone chat?!

In a minute someone's going to start posting some sort of trolly comment about the game not being dead.

I'll get in there first and say I've never seen ESD be so quiet as it has been in the last few days. Before anyone mentions time zones etc. let me say that I've signed in at various times of the day and night and it really is quiet.

Pretending that the game isn't quieter than normal helps no-one. The game you're rushing to defend needs players - acting like everything is rosy in the garden is hurting the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I don't think that's a good measure of activity.

Most players realise quickly how dire ESD zone is and move to their respective private channels. Check some of the more popular ones, like NoP Public Service, Doffjobs, DPS-10,000, Redditchat etc. In any case, there is usually little need to start a conversation on ESD, just butt in on one.

If you put out a LF4M ISA and don't get it full within 5 minutes, then you can be sure of activity issues.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I wish I was the op.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Go check Argala.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    What? No stupid, anti-funny, Gorn jokes? No arguments pertaining to religon or politics being made by people with little insight into how poorly they actually understand said subject matter. No 'My country is better than yours' drivel?

And this is a BAD thing??!

If the busiest social hub in the game is quiet for 7 minutes then yes, it's a bad thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Maybe people just got tired of insulting each other for seven minutes :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited January 2015

By anyone.

zone chat is not the best way to measure players, if you bring up the instances for each zone you can get a rough count on the number of players there.

for example at this time 11am (uk) there are around 100 players in space around ESD aprox 500 players in ESD and aprox another 100 players at star fleet academy.
    this is besides all the players spread around other maps in the game.

this may not seem like a lot but it is hardly what I would call dead.

another example for you is during the winter event I noticed there were over 50 instances that were all pretty full that's around 2500 players just in that one zone at that one time.

of course the maximum number of players you can get in one instance is 100 but that is only if enough players request to go to that instance the average is usually around 50.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    The numbers during the winter event or during a double XP weekend are artificially high, everyone knows that. Now those events are over things are quiet. They aren't at the "doom and gloom" level that some people say they are, but they're quieter than normal.

If you are choosing not to see that or choosing to try to explain away the numbers then that's your choice. It doesn't help the game though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    centurion47centurion47 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015

By anyone.

Interesting...

when even I was in ESD in the past couple of days, the chat was busy with all the regular "ESD niceties", including a very "interesting" "discussion" just yesterday about... well... all things racist... the kind of arguments you'd actually pay money to shut down...

Yes, "ESD situation normal"...
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    js26568 wrote: »
    The numbers during the winter event or during a double XP weekend are artificially high, everyone knows that. Now those events are over things are quiet. They aren't at the "doom and gloom" level that some people say they are, but they're quieter than normal.

If you are choosing not to see that or choosing to try to explain away the numbers then that's your choice. It doesn't help the game though.

im not trying to explain away anything, im just trying to show the best way to find out how many players are in one zone.
    whether this is high or low for this time of day I cant say, neither can I say the total number of players in the game.

just pointing out that just because theres not much zone chat does not mean you are the only player in the game or that the game is dead that's all.

it may not be as healthy as it has been in the past but its far from dead.

if you want to see a game that's a lot worse off then sto compaire the sto steam chart here > http://steamcharts.com/app/9900

to the one for champions on line here > http://steamcharts.com/app/9880

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I don't think that's a good measure of activity.

Most players realise quickly how dire ESD zone is and move to their respective private channels. Check some of the more popular ones, like NoP Public Service, Doffjobs, DPS-10,000, Redditchat etc. In any case, there is usually little need to start a conversation on ESD, just butt in on one.

If you put out a LF4M ISA and don't get it full within 5 minutes, then you can be sure of activity issues.

Doffjobs: no chat in 15 mins
    DPS-10k: One guy called LF3M IGA got no responses and that was the only chat in 15 mins
    NoP_PS: Yes ok there was some chat in here - someone asking for a t3 spire over and over...in 15 mins
    Accolades - dead
    TheTradingChannel - dead
    TribbleTestServer (TTS) - dead
    Organizedpvp - dead

It's not just ESD its all the popular STO channels too...

Activity is way down. It may be the time of day - like I said before. Or everyone is knackered after slaughtering kazon for an entire weekend. Or everyone went out on a bender last night and are nursing a hangover... I don't know - I am just reporting it in here. The game is dead atm...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • Options
    paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    DPS-10k: One guy called LF3M IGA got no responses and that was the only chat in 15 mins

You sound very Biased.

10k is a space channel. IGA is for ground channel.

Besides you just missed the couple of ISA calls. And you just missed the fight that was happening right before the ISA calls you missed.

On that particular time, there is almost 200 people at that channel. that is if you know were to look at that channel population.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    paxdawn wrote: »
    You sound very Biased.

10k is a space channel. IGA is for ground channel.

Besides you just missed the couple of ISA calls. And you just missed the fight that was happening right before the ISA calls you missed.

On that particular time, there is almost 200 people at that channel. that is if you know were to look at that channel population.

Biased is exactly what I am not.
    I deliberately set my watch for a 15min window and measured channel activity in that window.

Not what heppened before and not what happened after which are the events you are describing.

Population means nothing. People sit in this game logged in but not playing because they have better things to do they are just waiting for stupid R&D craft/upgrade timegates to finish. I am measuring activity.

EDIT - I am bored of this lttle experiment now - all it has served to do is depress me about the state of the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • Options
    paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Biased is exactly what I am not.
    I deliberately set my watch for a 15min window and measured channel activity in that window.

Not what heppened before and not what happened after which are the events you are describing.

Population means nothing. People sit in this game logged in but not playing because they have better things to do they are just waiting for stupid R&D craft/upgrade timegates to finish. I am measuring activity.

EDIT - I am bored of this lttle experiment now - all it has served to do is depress me about the state of the game.

The state of the game is fine except in your mind.

Like I said, IGA is ground not Space. And you based it on a Space channel. Had it been ISA rather IGA and you wont even get 1 person for 1 hour. Thats a totally different scenario when you call for IGA when a couple of ISA just went by before and after IGA you saw.

IGA/=ISA
    IGA/= Space
  • Options
    drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Like I said, IGA is ground not Space. And you based it on a Space channel. Had it been ISA rather IGA and you wont even get 1 person for 1 hour. Thats a totally different scenario when you call for IGA when a couple of ISA just went by before and after IGA you saw.

IGA/=ISA
    IGA/= Space

Sincerely and without any disrespect to you.

Folks really need to honestly take a look around. Pretending there is no crisis, is part of the dystopia.

I've been playing since before Beta, in Alpha.

The game has NEVER been this bad in 5 years I've played. Ever.

Not only have there been a complete breakdown of relationship between the developers and the community, the essence of what Star Trek is about has been lost to the mechanism of P2P grind.

But by all means feel free to go about your business for now. Time is relative. I caught a wake-up 3 months after LoR.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

People who say nothing except "the game is fine" are just as bad as people who say the game is doomed.

Do us a favour and express your real opinion instead of following what you imagine to be the company line.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    edited January 2015

IGA/=ISA
    IGA/= Space

I was only measuring the activity on DPS-10k as that was one channel that an earlier poster had called out (along with a handful of others) that would be more representative of player activity (despite the fact that I disagree with their statment as ESD is the primary social hub of the entire game...but whatever)

Said player had called the IGA in DPS-G200 (but not DPS-G400) had not gotten a response in that channel either.

Also, banging on about the fact that this was a call for a ground pve in a space pve channel shows how much you use the DPS channels. People REGULARLYset up ground pve groups in there, be they BHE, DRSE, NTTE, HGE or whatever...even without calling in the ground versions of the channels. The requirements to be invited is a 10k ISA run, but from there people create what they want, when they want.

Stating over and over again that there were other calls for ISA before and after my experiment is making you sound pretty biased imo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Doffjobs: no chat in 15 mins
    NoP_PS: Yes ok there was some chat in here - someone asking for a t3 spire over and over...in 15 mins
    Accolades - dead
    TheTradingChannel - dead
    TribbleTestServer (TTS) - dead
    Organizedpvp - dead

It's not just ESD its all the popular STO channels too...

Activity is way down. It may be the time of day - like I said before. Or everyone is knackered after slaughtering kazon for an entire weekend. Or everyone went out on a bender last night and are nursing a hangover... I don't know - I am just reporting it in here. The game is dead atm...

I really have to agree here. It’s hard to impossible to give any solid numbers or infos but from all checked sources I have at my disposal activity in this game seems down.

Fleets, elite channels, in game friendliest. The past years I often encountered some kind of spring/early summer gap where peeps tend to log a bit less. Never in mid of January though.

Season players left much sooner than after any other major release I have experienced. Veterans and hardcore players log less often. I have a much harder time meeting new players.

Even those still around are far less interested in teaming up for general PvE which always used to work in the past.

I’m still able to get 2-3 for a pug on the stuff I like to run but that’s pretty much it for the time being. We also have to wait much longer to get a PvE running. I’m also lucky that I’m part of a mega fleet and do play this game with long term in game and rl friends.

I have checked forums regularly since DR. Its not as if players wouldn’t have given cryptic and the publisher good feedback and advice to avoid such a situation.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    As soon as it became apparent that it was going to cost you thousands of dollars to progress in this game most people quit.

I can't even get a response in DOFFJOBS anymore. The 5 Tier 5 fleets my alts are in rarely have more than 1 person logged in.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    dpsloss88 wrote: »
    As soon as it became apparent that it was going to cost you thousands of dollars to progress in this game most people quit.

I can't even get a response in DOFFJOBS anymore. The 5 Tier 5 fleets my alts are in rarely have more than 1 person logged in.

For what it’s worth DR managed to insert much more depth and variety to the game. Levelcap, spec trees, tier 6 ships, tier 5U, gear upgrade (especially rarity). By itself it is a good thing but the traumatic time/money gates behind it don’t seem to be remotely supported by any available contend.

And yea you are correct, depending on how many characters you have and how high expectations you have of them you could easily spend thousands of dollars just to get them all to a state (best gear possible) they were before DR.

The alternative would be to play 5 years 8 hours a day but even if one would this is hardly covered by any long tern motivating contend around.

The fact that you need to play ONE successful elite PvE in order have enough recourses to apply ONE experimental tech upgrade is something cryptic should really look up to. You will basically need thousands per char if you strive for the best gear available.
    Lol the only way the OP could find to justify his argument was by picking a day in the beginning of the work/school week during the wee morning hours of the morning when most US/Euro players are sleeping. :rolleyes:

What's his next example of low server population going to be? Thursday during the weekly scheduled server maintenance? :P

I regularly log during EU primetime in the late afternoon/early evening. Sorry but I’m really under the impression as well that the in game population is as low as it ever was at the moment. Hope this changes soon. I like this game but will not play it by myself.
    animated.gif
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    OP STO is not dead nop not dead not dead at all

just ignore the smell of decay

oh and that shallow grave looking thing with STO sticking out of the ground

yep not dead at all lol
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    dpsloss88 wrote: »
    You don't need to spend any dollar to progress in the game.

When you do upgrades, you are not actually required to complete the progress bar before you close the window. You can just apply an upgrade, and then close the window again. There is your progress. You don't need to have all Mark XIV gear in the first week or all Epic gear in the first month to have "progress". Progress is not the same as "Finished".

And you can practicaly throw as much money as you want at the game, specializations won't really come any fasther. I mean, even if someone was so crazy to try to speed up specialization levelling with skill point boosts, it's just a 20 % bonus.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    You don't need to spend any dollar to progress in the game.

When you do upgrades, you are not actually required to complete the progress bar before you close the window. You can just apply an upgrade, and then close the window again. There is your progress. You don't need to have all Mark XIV gear in the first week or all Epic gear in the first month to have "progress". Progress is not the same as "Finished".

And you can practicaly throw as much money as you want at the game, specializations won't really come any fasther. I mean, even if someone was so crazy to try to speed up specialization levelling with skill point boosts, it's just a 20 % bonus.

You are right with your statement of course. The problem is just if u follow a slowly pure in game earning progress you are doomed to some very slim and repetitive contend to back it up.

If you strife for max you face (not literarily) thousands of elite PvE and patrol missions.

I think for the majority of players interested in Star Trek and/or mmopgs this game does not support such a course of action giving them only the option to either pay or simply strife for less. I can’t blame anybody choosing neither so bye bye I guess.

I really fear that with DR for most players the demands have been increased 10 times too much compared to what this game has to offer.
    animated.gif