test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tor'Kaht underperforming? What am I doing wrong?

suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Klingon Discussion
Build advice needed. And I'll get it out of the way - I want to fly this particular ship on cannons + torp, because I want it to "feel" canon. No FAW, A2B or anything like that.

Here's what I'm using atm - http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=storkahtsaveh_0 (doffs and traits included)

I'll admit I may need a respec. It's a very old toon. Other than that though, I'm trying to squeeze out of this ship as much as possible while still using cannons, yet I feel it's still underperforming when compared to some of my other chars and toons. Is it because it's an engineer on a battlecruiser, or am I not seeing something here?

It's not performing bad, mind you, and it certainly didn't before DR. Now, though, even with all the upgrades and such, I feel the ship is struggling to keep up with all the FAW BS.

Anything I could do to improve the performance at least a little bit? I'll add that I enjoy having ships prepared for all sort of situations, not just DPS grind.
PyKDqad.jpg
Post edited by suaveks on

Comments

• suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Perhaps I should have mentioned that it's all for PvE purposes. As such, I don't have any problems with keeping the enemy in my frontal arc most of the time.

As for the junk consoles, the Tachyokinetic Converter does in fact give a boost to Turn Rate, as well as increases the Crit Chance and Severity. Bounty Hunter's Friend gives a significant Energy Damage Resistance and lowers the weapon power cost of all weapons, which should - theoretically - help with dmg decrease during rapid fire. The Elachi console increases the Crit Severity significantly, so with decent Crit Chance I fail to see how it's actually junk. Or at least, how a better turn rate would be better in its place. That is, unless I don't understand something when it comes to game mechanics.

As for the Bio-Molecular Torp, it looks cool and fits the Klingon ship aesthetically... And on a serious note, the 2pc with Bio-Molecular Turret increases the disruptor dmg by a significant amount, so it's better than the mostly useless console. Plus the HY is not targettable, deals splash damage and makes use of the Overwhelming Force trait (which I have to use anyway, since Cryptic hates KDF and won't give them any more T6 ships).

Thanks for the advice.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Swap in Tactical Advantage and Enhanced Armor Penetration to your space traits.

Skill point distribution, as you mentioned, is in need of a respec; you really should have energy weapons maxed out. Attack Patterns, Targeting, Internal Dampeners, and Power Insulators are all good to have as well.

Swap your EPtS and EPtW around for that +damage boost. Additionally, you could swap out Aux2Damp for DEM if you really want more punching power, but that trade is up to you. Swap CRF and APB.

Otherwise, I would suggest upgrading to a Qib. It's basically the successor to the Tor'kaht in every way, and gets access to OSS and Ionic Turbulence.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    patrickngo wrote: »
    you've got a lot of useless junk consoles in there, saps performance in both PvP and PvE.

Recommendations:

Lose some of the universals, pick ONE or TWO that you will keep.

That's an old rule of thumb, from the days of 9 console ships and the Assimilated Module being the only worthwhile stat-booster. For an 11 console ship with upgraded Lobi consoles, it's a pretty nice way to go. Basically, that advise should be changed to no click universals, and don't put any in the Tac console spots (there are specialty builds where both those are ignored and come out pretty decent).

Most of the OP's issue is that beams post-FAW-fix are now far more capable of damage dealing in general compared to cannons.
    Cooldown's longer on 3 than it is on 1. most of the time, you only need EPTS 1. Aux2SIF doesn't help much unless you're...dun-dun-dun!!! tanking.

Aux2SIF3 is 15 seconds when fully skilled, same as Aux2SIF1...
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    szerontzur wrote: »
    Otherwise, I would suggest upgrading to a Qib. It's basically the successor to the Tor'kaht in every way
    Qib is arguably the ugliest ship in STO. That's more than enough reason not to ever touch it again, after obtaining its trait.

And even so, the reason I have that Trat slotted is because KDF have nothing else they could use for Starship Traits...

Going back to the build, I'm defending some aspects of it because I'm not interested in min-maxing. I'm trying to find faults of the current build, but I'll be first to admit that I won't change some things, like the bio-molecular torp, because I'm more interested in having fun, than min-maxing.

That said, I'd rather go for tanking than turn-rate, because I have no problems keeping enemies in my forward arc as it is in PvE. PvP is dead anyway, so I don't care. And regarding accuracy, the Intelligence Specialization has some helpful skills and an unlockable trait I'm going for. Not saying that I struggle to hit stuff as it is. I had Adv. Fleet weapons with Accx2 mod, but I've switched them to CrtD recently, seeing how it's "the thing" at the moment.

Not to say I disregard the advice given. Not at all. I appreciate all the help, so I can think about it and experiment some more. I imagine a respec is the first thing on "to do" list, definitely.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    OP,
    I believe that other posters have already made some good suggestions, I'll try to give you my suggestions and you can decide if they resonate well.

Skills, no attack patterns? You really need to respec your toon and maximize attack patterns. You don't need as many points in shield, aux, weapon or engine performance, so use points from them elsewhere. Since you have the leech, to maximize the flow cap skill you could use a flow capacitor science console and you'll easily have the power you lost from dropping points in those performance skills. That also frees up those points for other things.
    Speaking of skills, 0 points in threat unless you run a cruiser and purposefully want baddies to shoot you. I run a couple of tanks, fed and rommie side, and the torkie is not meant to be a tank. Tanking is meant primarily for BFAW cruisers. You can tank in it if you want, but it is not recommended with DHCs. So, 0 points in threat control.

Consoles, bioneural gel pack takes 7%, that's 2 seconds off 30 second skills like tac team, which isn't usually worth it unless you are using the neutronic torp or have evidence that you only need around 2 seconds more of cooldown reduced for one or more things. Later on, I'll discuss DOFFs for cooldowns and there will be 2 things that keeping the gel pack will possibly be good for, CRF and EPTx, but you have to decide what to keep by testing it with and without the gel pack to find out if you can set it aside.

On to the bridge officers.....
    Science, nothing to complain about there.

Engineering, here is where I differ. Even if you use the gel pack and the DOFF to extend the up time of Aux to dampeners, since you are only running a single copy of A2DAMP, it's actively boosting resistances and maneuverability less than half the time. Since you will lose some maneuverability, get an enhanced RCS console that has +resall if you need the turn rate boost. With that console, you'll always have the turn rate boost, not some of the time like you'd have with A2DAMP.
    Since you are getting an enhanced RCS console, I would drop Aux to dampeners, move EPTW1 to EPTW3, EPTS3 to EPTS2, and add a second engineering team. Since you have 2 EPTx skills of different types, you need at least 2 purple damage control engineers

Tactical....
    A Single tactical team means you should have 2 conn officers in your active duty space roster to reduce tac team cooldowns. Keep the single torp high yield if you run cannons in rapid fire, or use spread for scatter volley. Since you have both cannon modifiers, pick one and run it from the LCDR tac station with 2 energy weapon officers that reduce cannon special attacks. That leaves the LT stations for attack patterns, which you need skill points to make best use of. For an advanced PvE setup suggestion, have a second set of tactical BOFFs so you can switch between CRF/ THY and CSV/ TS setups before you start missions so you can use with you find works best overall in each STF.

Over-all, the bridge officer stations should look more like....

LT Sci ST1, HE2
    LCDR Tac TT1, APB1, CRF2
    LT Tac THY1, APB1
    CDR Eng ET1, EPTS2, EPTW3, A2SIF3
    ENS Eng ET1

2 conn officers, 2 energy weapon officers, 2 damage control engineers.
    Cycle EPTX abilities and tac team often and you'll do well.

I hope that gives you some things to consider.
  • ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    suaveks wrote: »
    That said, I'd rather go for tanking than turn-rate,

It's when you purposefully draw via threat/ DPS and absorb /mitigate damage from multiple baddies simultaneously that I consider the definition of tanking. If that's not what you meant, then disregard the information below.

The Negh'Var, Bortas'Qu, Mogh and even Qib are better suited for tanking than the torkie. If you want to tank in the torkie, though, then you have to make and accept some changes.

1. Beam arrays and omni-directional beams, no turrets, torpedoes or cannons.
    2. The consoles you have already are useable, maybe an embassy +TH, +Pla console to help.
    3. Attack patterns and maneuvers. Put skill points from subsystem performance skills into them.
    4. For more threat and help with ST and HE cooldowns, get an elite fleet fermion deflector.

LT Sci ST1, HE2
    LT Tac TT1, APD1
    LCDR Tac TT1, APD1, BFAW3
    CDR Eng ET1, EPTW2, EPTS3, A2SIF3
    Ens Eng ET1

2 DCEs, 2 EWOs, WCE, Development lab scientist to reduce science team cooldowns.
    Attack pattern expertise from Pilot traits is really handy for tanks.

It will draw a lot of aggro. Have a plan to bail out before you go into a swarm of baddies or you might get overwhelmed.
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I own every Klingon designed ship they made for us and nothing has even made me consider giving up my Tork for PvE nothing none of the silly extra powers in the TWO new ships we got. not the 5 fore weapons of the mogh. nothing awhile back i made a post about making the mogh a viable ship compared to my tork but its still not as good. and those two new ships LOL the raptor is nice i guess but its just not as good. and the qib well maybe if ot didnt look so damn flat. and had more tac console possibly. use it sometimes

but no the tork does not under perform at least not for me. and i love toasting rommies in scimitars with mine.

i dont really like that site planner format everything is scattered over to many pages and it dont show infor on items so i made my own page . link
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    [QUOTE=icsairguns;21801141

but no the tork does not under perform at least not for me. and i love toasting rommies in scimitars with mine.

i dont really like that site planner format everything is scattered over to many pages and it dont show infor on items so i made my own page . link [/QUOTE]

Thanks for this. I've been thinking about upgrading my tork, and this will be a nice starting point.