test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why you wanna cater to the high dps ppl

johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
So the main reason is that we multiply everything we like for you. We sold loads of DR-packs for you by telling everyone about how great the boffs in it are for roms. Yes we made ppl buy two boffs for 12.5 k Zen. And we bought them ourselves ofc.

Also there needs to be a goal for all the power creep. Sadly your promises about challanging content have fallen short and already we're smashikg through infected advanced in under 60 secs. We're still waitikg for elite.

What you want to do is put advanced rewards on normal, elite on advanced and go totally crazy on elite. If someone finishes it in the first month its a fail and has to be made even harder. Try to implement special short range heavy duty weapons for elite npcs and stuff like that that *can* be avoided but lessens dps base due to range and creates a new set of stuff to watch out for.

We are the forefront of testing the limits on your content and if you dont listen to the guys who played the stuff like hundrets and thousands of times - the to whom else?

If we are happy and have content to strife for we're having a large group of players following in our footsteps. Balance the top and the rest will fall into place on its own.
Post edited by johnsteward on

Comments

• Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Moar Dakka! means more moolah for Cryptic.

Keeping things locked behind freedom is slavery optionals keeps the Snowflakes from melting.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This is pretty much the opposite of what they should do....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    cause that is how you make money... folks were happy at mk 12 and the dps they were doing was good... too good in fact. no reason to upgrade but for e-pen and bragging about being epic.

so expan comes out and boosts the hp to god levels... all old mk 12s are bleh now. folks complain but instead of reducing the hp for elite content... make mk 13 and 14 weapons more uber... gets folks to spend money to upgrade.

game is totally balanced now at the mk 14 purple level now... you can still make do with mk 12s purples... but its not as good.

it's not about catering to the dps crowd... it's about getting folks to spend money on new ships and new shinies.
  • Options
    savnokasavnoka Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    tigeraries wrote: »
    it's not about catering to the dps crowd... it's about getting folks to spend money on new ships and new shinies.

I believe you will find that the 'DPS crowd' is made up of people who blow money on the game like you wouldn't believe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xanime0xxanime0x Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So the main reason is that we multiply everything we like for you. We sold loads of DR-packs for you by telling everyone about how great the boffs in it are for roms. Yes we made ppl buy two boffs for 12.5 k Zen. And we bought them ourselves ofc.

Also there needs to be a goal for all the power creep. Sadly your promises about challanging content have fallen short and already we're smashikg through infected advanced in under 60 secs. We're still waitikg for elite.

What you want to do is put advanced rewards on normal, elite on advanced and go totally crazy on elite. If someone finishes it in the first month its a fail and has to be made even harder. Try to implement special short range heavy duty weapons for elite npcs and stuff like that that *can* be avoided but lessens dps base due to range and creates a new set of stuff to watch out for.

We are the forefront of testing the limits on your content and if you dont listen to the guys who played the stuff like hundrets and thousands of times - the to whom else?

If we are happy and have content to strife for we're having a large group of players following in our footsteps. Balance the top and the rest will fall into place on its own.

bad idea to keep make a game that not doing. well because not all run after the dps builds or fallow your one sided thinking. some come in game to play for a little while and not all worrie about being able to kill the missions in 60 sec. some come in game to make storys some come for the storys. if you want elite then go to setting and change the setting to elite and try to fight in a shuttle then you can have you elite fights your looking for. all your doing is trying to keep every one out of the higher end of game so you can pat your self on the back and say your elite. bad thing no cares the your eilte when your the only one playing the elite stuff.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    skollulfr wrote: »
    as it stands, the games economic model has changed from micro-transaction to sequential-obsoletion. my guess is they are making everyone hate the queues so they can remove them in favour of the adventure zone type content.

The lack of a BZ that awards APCs seems counter to that idea. Queues are the only* way to get them.

*yes, technically the boxes can drop them. Getting all of one from T0-T5 doesn't make it anywhere near viable.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The lack of a BZ that awards APCs seems counter to that idea. Queues are the only* way to get them.

*yes, technically the boxes can drop them. Getting all of one from T0-T5 doesn't make it anywhere near viable.

It was another of the oddities about S9.5/DR there. The way they had gone with both Dyson and Counter-Command...all the various other things they had done. Certain things came off as an about face, eh?

Could it be that S9.5/DR was finally getting into the D'Angelo era from the Stahl era? Er...again. Basically they already had Stahl stuff in play they needed to finish off and then they moved on to the D'Angelo stuff?

Cause the difference is pretty drastic.
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    xanime0x wrote: »
    bad idea to keep make a game that not doing. well because not all run after the dps builds or fallow your one sided thinking. some come in game to play for a little while and not all worrie about being able to kill the missions in 60 sec. some come in game to make storys some come for the storys. if you want elite then go to setting and change the setting to elite and try to fight in a shuttle then you can have you elite fights your looking for. all your doing is trying to keep every one out of the higher end of game so you can pat your self on the back and say your elite. bad thing no cares the your eilte when your the only one playing the elite stuff.

TL;DR:
    Nothing I said hinders you in playing the game the way you like, on the contrary, I suggested giving normal the current advanced mission rewards simply to allow easier access to vr crafting stuff and make it easier for you and players who play like you do without caring for dps.
    Your playstile is already supported very well (foundry, doffing, patrols, constant (if slow) releases of new missions) while mine isnt (only a few weeks after DR, all currently existing missions are basically a cakewalk again as it was before DR). I just want it all to scale better and factor in all the DR and future power creep.
    Why cater to the high dps guys? Because we make vids, we make league chans, the combat log reader and all that which help in makeing ppl also want those shinies which in turn increases their desire to go buy it from the store or open boxes.

Long winded version:^^
    Well actually i dont really care about being elite or not. I was playing mostly story focussed for most of the two years I was playing this game and only started to get into the whole dps thing shortly after dr. It was what brought me back to the game from playing D3. Thing is now there is stuff to actually want and reasons to log in.

Lets be honest here, besides what the foundry offers, noone really plays the missions over and over again. So in the end the amount of time a player can spend on this game doing only the story is quite limited. Also the game is perfectly fine when playing on normal and nowhere in my posting did I talk about removing normal. If you look closely and actually read my posting instead of just seeing the word dps and go all crazy you would find that I explicitly state to "set the rewards for "normal" to what now is "advanced". I want that not because I will ever play normal, but because I want ppl like yourself to be able to get the basic crafting materials without having to queue (and fail in) advanced missions.

If you never get any of that stuff and dont farm ec in some other way there is no way for you to participate really in the new systems like crafting/upgrading and I would like to see everyone being able to do exactly that. And not because of some evil selfish need for more customers or less noobs in the queues, but simply because I'm having loads of fun since I started getting into the whole dps thing.

Also, having the game be more flexible in its difficulty doesnt hurt those playing on normal, it only allows other play styles to be interesting over a long period of time instead of what we have now, namely all missions beat on elite after a few days and even missions like hive space elite are now doable even with pugs and why? because the power creep they put in far outways the increase in difficulty. maybe not for everyone but its there and if you would listen to the advise we give on dps you can actually have both, fly your story missions AND allow other players who dont like to only play the way you do to have fun in the game as well.

So to be blunt, actually, you are doing exactly what you acuse me of doing which is being selfish and only looking at your own way of playing while my goal is to make sto compatible with as many different play styles as possible.

With the foundry and the content they produce on a regular basis there should be enough content for story focused players, and on top at least I myself wouldnt mind additional sets of cryptic made missions even if they would be zen-gated.

A game needs stuff to do and that on many different lvls as players have different online time and different effectiveness when it comes to farming stuff while being on. Thus you need scaling rewards which we got with dr and with high enough costs to be interesting for a good long while AND without having long periods of time where you dont advance at all. If you reach a high enough lvl, D3 for example becomes a stupig game of chance while trying to find the item you want. In sto when I farm stuff I definitly (if slowly) will be able to advance my weapon and get it the way I want it, shiny and all :)