test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If you want to take a trip down memory lane...

124»

Comments

• erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    mrtshead wrote: »
    I disagree with your assessment that the grouping of the patrol missions is clumsy - honestly when I played it the first time I was struck by how much more thoughtful and plot-engaging the DR patrols were compared to the relatively context-less missions in Tau Dewa, for example.
    Oh yeah, they are good patrols, much better than the old ones.
    But they are still patrols. They are miles away from story missions.

Just an example I'll leave here : do you remember any ground content during those ? Don't search, there is none. Patrols are only space. Story mission usually have both.

As for building the setting... Come on. I did the borg graveyard thing before argala, and was told the borgs were being attacked, and still acted surprised.
    Also, I was tricked by the hierarchy 2 or 3 times. Perhaps 4 times. Can't remember. I'm probably the dumbest captain of the galaxy.
    Not to mention having to trick my allies as a KDF/fed. Or being a mercenary for the Hierarchy (remember the guys that tricked me like 3 times already) and shot a Malon just because he said he was getting scammed by the Hierarchy. I attacked first, he hailed me, and I shot him. Federation ? Diplomacy ? Prime directive ? What's that ? Delta quadrant, it's kind of a no mans land for federation regulations, just ask Janeway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I must say, I find this depressing news.

Judgments of quality are always subjective to some extent... but some of the missions on that list had memorable visuals and challenging adversaries; I don't think they're low-quality at all.

Losing some "sideline" missions that don't tie into an over-arching storyline... isn't a good thing, in my view. Things like "Saturday's Child" may not fit into the Grand Design very neatly, but I happen to think a bit of digression now and then is a good thing, not a bad.

But, these missions don't yield anything in the way of dilithium or rep marks, and they can be quite tough (that Reman so-and-so who announces himself by decloaking right in front of you and firing off a volley of plasma torps - ran into him last night, and by jingo it was good to see him finally blow up)... so, I suppose they don't show up well in the all-important metrics, because the 5,271,009 South Korean gold farmers who distort those, aren't playing these missions.

Bad news, I think. Also... I don't want to doom-monger... but I am looking at the Cardassian arc, and wondering how many missions in that might be cut or amalgamated in the future. It's a possibility, and not one that fills me with joyful thoughts.

*sigh* Off to make sure all my Fed toons get those odd, fun little accolades before they go away. (Fun, devs, fun. Quality sometimes found in games. Look the word up in any good dictionary.)
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It's been a while since I went through the full leveling story, I might make a throw away character to go through them.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Too lazy to read through 10 pages but has anyone mentioned or otherwise noted that less missions = less net XP over the course of the arc? Considering NPCs give little XP and rewards for finishing missions have been increased, I'm seeing this as a net loss.

I wonder if anyone pre-50 beginning that arc in its original level will be able to level up on them alone without the need of running other XP content in-between.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    tk79 wrote: »
    Too lazy to read through 10 pages but has anyone mentioned or otherwise noted that less missions = less net XP over the course of the arc? Considering NPCs give little XP and rewards for finishing missions have been increased, I'm seeing this as a net loss.

I wonder if anyone pre-50 beginning that arc in its original level will be able to level up on them alone without the need of running other XP content in-between.

This. And it'll get even worse once they revamp the Cardassian missions. :(
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I replayed the three that I was missing accolades for. I started to replay another one, then reevaluated my life and dropped it.
    You gain wisdom, grasshopper.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • kristaswiftkristaswift Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ...now is your last chance to do it. The following missions will shortly be removed from STO :( :
    • “Under the Cover of Night”
    • “Minefield”
    • “Divide et Impera”
    • “Saturday’s Child”
    • “Preemptive Strike”
    • “Hunting the Hunters”
    • “Project Nightingale”
    • “Ground Zero”
    • “Ghost Ship”
    • “Friend of My Enemy”
    • “Trapped”

Additionally, “By Any Means” and “S'harien's Swords” will be merged into a single mission, as will “Ground Zero” and “Taris.”

While it is unlikely that many tears will be shed for Divide et Impera, others in that list will be sorely missed. :(

Honestly if Cryptic wants to dump these missions, I wish they would do what they did with the old patrol missions, i.e. leave them there at their respective star systems but just remove them from the mission journal's official 'story arc' as part of mission progression.

certainly some of these will be missed. Are they introducing some new content to offset the lost of those missions?
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    certainly some of these will be missed. Are they introducing some new content to offset the lost of those missions?

A couple, yes.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • ightenighten Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Is this to slow down the 1-50 journey just through episodes..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If they put "Divide et Impera" in the Cardassians storyline, and change the Romulans into Bajorans, I'll be happy, and it makes more sense.
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited January 2015
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    If they put "Divide et Impera" in the Cardassians storyline, and change the Romulans into Bajorans, I'll be happy, and it makes more sense.
    No, it would make no sense at all. Not unless you also want the story to involve a quick trip back in time to the Cardassian Occupation.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited January 2015
    ighten wrote: »
    Is this to slow down the 1-50 journey just through episodes..
    Given that Vice Admiral Vazlav just got sent to check out the ruins of Hobus, that might not be such a bad thing...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This. And it'll get even worse once they revamp the Cardassian missions. :(

I can only imagine how many of the Cardassian missions they're going to cut out when they "revamp" that chapter of the story.

They're adding two brand new missions, and merging four of the old missions into two missions. So it's a total of 4 missions to replace 15 missions.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    No, it would make no sense at all. Not unless you also want the story to involve a quick trip back in time to the Cardassian Occupation.

Cardassian Occupation, I just got hit with the nostalgia bug
    GwaoHAD.png
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This is Kurland. Kurland's still here folks, don't worry.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

edited January 2015
    This is Kurland. Kurland's still here folks, don't worry.
    Captain Kurland, this is Admiral Sills. What exactly does "radio silence" mean to you???

(Sorry, reflex. You don't call for radio silence, then fill airspace with "Kurland here. This is Kurland. Kurland here." I hope the revamp of the Cardassian arc does something about that...)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You know, I understand removing the badly randomized former 'Exploration' content and clusters; but as many have pointed out, I DON'T see the logic in completely removing content that couuld still be used (as suggested as some ' system patrol' content. (And for the missions that were combined; of course there's no need to copy/pate said original version into a system patrol, but again, for stuff that's okay, but not great - like 'Saturday's Child' - I'd MUCH rather have a system patrol like 'Saturday's Child' as opposed to the 'Kill 5 0f <Mob Type>' that currently passes for the original 'system patrol' in the sectors STO initially launched with.

I know the lead Al Rivera somehow thinks STO has too much content (although I don't understand how he can make that comment when compared to almost any other MMO with years under its belt - STO is STILL content light - of course since it's OBVIOUS Gekko LOVES grind content - maybe that's why he seems to have no issues pulling any actual story content until all we're left with is a shell of any story and then PvE queues ad nauseum.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ...now is your last chance to do it. The following missions will shortly be removed from STO :( :
    • “Under the Cover of Night”
    • “Minefield”
    • “Divide et Impera”
    • “Saturday’s Child”
    • “Preemptive Strike”
    • “Hunting the Hunters”
    • “Project Nightingale”
    • “Ground Zero”
    • “Ghost Ship”
    • “Friend of My Enemy”
    • “Trapped”

Additionally, “By Any Means” and “S'harien's Swords” will be merged into a single mission, as will “Ground Zero” and “Taris.”

While it is unlikely that many tears will be shed for Divide et Impera, others in that list will be sorely missed. :(

Honestly if Cryptic wants to dump these missions, I wish they would do what they did with the old patrol missions, i.e. leave them there at their respective star systems but just remove them from the mission journal's official 'story arc' as part of mission progression.

More half-way decent content gone. And some of those missions were nice filler stuff, reflecting the troubles on the Romulan front.

I suspect it has more to to with slowing down leveling than not being up to standards. If this keeps up, the entire game is going to end up like Delta Rising (Few actual story missions, with little else to do for leveling besides boring patrols and duty officer assignments).

I, as a player, would suggest they do otherwise. But the removal is already in the pipe, I suspect. So, I would be wasting my time going into detail as to why they shouldn't. :rolleyes:
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I can only imagine how many of the Cardassian missions they're going to cut out when they "revamp" that chapter of the story.

Taking bets on the one with Dukat's daughter ... . :(
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Taking bets on the one with Dukat's daughter ... . :(
    That story had much potential... if Dukat's daughter hadn't come out of nowhere and had been established in previous episodes.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Good god I'm out of the loop. Slip under a rock for one lousy month, come back to a new Bridge Officer subtype (before they even make the first one widely available even) and the effective gutting of an entire arc of Fed content.

Man, there had better be something huge in the works to fill this back in. I was cool with exploration clusters because, let's face it, those were beyond saving. But this... is more than I expected.

Seriously, Divide et Impera was one writing pass from being a textbook Trek story - what's more Trek than subterfuge, being mislead by a perceived superior, and being faced with a dilemma of morality and conscience versus duty and loyalty?

I don't know what to think. Maybe I should crawl back under that rock until February and see what happens...