test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If you want to take a trip down memory lane...

mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
...now is your last chance to do it. The following missions will shortly be removed from STO :( :
  • “Under the Cover of Night”
  • “Minefield”
  • “Divide et Impera”
  • “Saturday’s Child”
  • “Preemptive Strike”
  • “Hunting the Hunters”
  • “Project Nightingale”
  • “Ground Zero”
  • “Ghost Ship”
  • “Friend of My Enemy”
  • “Trapped”

Additionally, “By Any Means” and “S'harien's Swords” will be merged into a single mission, as will “Ground Zero” and “Taris.”

While it is unlikely that many tears will be shed for Divide et Impera, others in that list will be sorely missed. :(

Honestly if Cryptic wants to dump these missions, I wish they would do what they did with the old patrol missions, i.e. leave them there at their respective star systems but just remove them from the mission journal's official 'story arc' as part of mission progression.

Joined January 2009
Finger wrote:
Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Interestingly, almost all of the removed episodes fall into Worffan101's iteration of why Admiral T'Nae, in addition to being a bigot, is guilty of war crimes against the Romulan Star Empire.

And people say the devs pay no attention to the forums...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • jjdezjjdez Member Posts: 570 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    And people say the devs pay no attention to the forums...

This is far more likely to be a coincidence.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hmm... what accolades are in all of those missions? I don't quite trust the STOWiki to give me a complete list, but I should likely make sure I have them all before they go play on the same farm as Terradome and old ESD.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Delta Rising deleting content since

Est : 1848
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Wonder what's going to happen to Admiral Puppet Zelle now?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited January 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I favor sending her on an exploratory mission to Sagittarius A*, the supermassive black hole at the core of the Milky Way.

Aboard a shuttlecraft. Without a warp drive. And with the course preprogrammed, and the controls disabled.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited January 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »

lets send her on an exploration mission into one of the deleted exploration clusters :D
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I favor sending her on an exploratory mission to Sagittarius A*, the supermassive black hole at the core of the Milky Way.
    lets send her on an exploration mission into one of the deleted exploration clusters :D

Same thing right? :P

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
    edited January 2015
    Same thing right? :P

:eek: OMG OMG OMG!!!!
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    STO has too much quality content. It's high time they removed some of it.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Eh most of those missions are filler episodes, so I guess they're trying to rewrite the game's overall story to be more of a serial. Don't recall any of them being particularly good missions though; wonder if they'll be back in revamped form or they're just being tossed outright?

Of course (jokingly) this should make some of the faction-purist fanatics happy: bringing the number of available story missions more in line with each other. ;)
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Of course (jokingly) this should make some of the faction-purist fanatics happy: bringing the number of available story missions more in line with each other. ;)

Okay, that made me laugh.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    Hmm... what accolades are in all of those missions? I don't quite trust the STOWiki to give me a complete list, but I should likely make sure I have them all before they go play on the same farm as Terradome and old ESD.

Under the Cover of Night = Triaging Treason & This Conversation Never Happened
    Minefield = Prototype Procurer & Detour Required
    Divide et Impera = None
    Saturday’s Child = Follow the Yellow Cake Road & I'm Doing Well... Well Done
    Preemptive Strike = Removed from Romulan Possession & Annihilate the Armada
    Hunting the Hunters = Making the Rounds & Hunting for Holograms
    Project Nightingale = Blockade Runner & Noble Gestures
    Ghost Ship = Always the Scanner, Never the Scanned & Once a Base, Always a Base
    Friend of My Enemy = None
    Trapped = None

Who knows if the new missions will have all the old accolades...

Desperate Measures: combination of the previous missions “By Any Means” and “S'harien's Swords”
    By Any Means = Borgification & Hand in the Cookie Jar
    S'harien's Swords = Kicked While Down in Drydock & Not Meant for Production

Taris: combination of story elements of “Ground Zero”, the original “Taris”, and takes into account the events in “Revelations”.
    Ground Zero = Destruction Detective
    Taris = Enemies at the Iconian Gate

...all from sto gamepedia
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ...now is your last chance to do it. The following missions will shortly be removed from STO :( :
    • “Under the Cover of Night”
    • “Minefield”
    • “Divide et Impera”
    • “Saturday’s Child”
    • “Preemptive Strike”
    • “Hunting the Hunters”
    • “Project Nightingale”
    • “Ground Zero”
    • “Ghost Ship”
    • “Friend of My Enemy”
    • “Trapped”

Additionally, “By Any Means” and “S'harien's Swords” will be merged into a single mission, as will “Ground Zero” and “Taris.”

While it is unlikely that many tears will be shed for Divide et Impera, others in that list will be sorely missed. :(

Honestly if Cryptic wants to dump these missions, I wish they would do what they did with the old patrol missions, i.e. leave them there at their respective star systems but just remove them from the mission journal's official 'story arc' as part of mission progression.

Not a bad idea actually.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited January 2015

I'm not saying this to spite you but of all the removed missions , Divide et Impera and Saturday's Child will be the ones most missed by me .

"Divide" had us making a wrong decision (with innocent lives lost as a consequence) -- something that as Starfleet captains we're always in the danger of making (if Trek was real) .
    That alone made the mission special in my eyes .

"Saturday" was just one of those lovely reminders of the crazy that went before , and for that alone it deserves a mention .

... only Mak'koy ! :)
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Rather than outright deleting all this old content, I'd quite like them to create a little sub-section of the foundry where retired missions go to die.
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I agree some ought to be kept in one form or another. A new quest giver can be placed at Sierra to hand them out. There is a lack of decent side quests in STO and something like Saturday's Child would be a fun thing to do between mainstream missions.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    For those grinding Argala, these romulan missions are a target rich environment and haul in good amounts of XP/skill points when played on advance/elite.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So much for Admiral Akkaar, one of the very few characters from the novelverse that have appeared as an actual NPC in this game so far.
    Better watch out, Calhoun!

No, Captain's Table doesn't count. Nobody ever goes there.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
    edited January 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    "Divide" had us making a wrong decision (with innocent lives lost as a consequence) -- something that as Starfleet captains we're always in the danger of making (if Trek was real).
    The only Trek-style "bad decision" in there was the decision to send Zelle and a Starfleet team in to check out that base in the first place. Once there, you are forced to carry the Idiot Ball for the entire story.

And it could have been improved with some additional dialog (along the lines of starting to wonder if these orders are legitimate, but it feels like something isn't allowing you to think about it), and a simple logic branch - after scanning the medical supplies, you could have tried to take Zelle into custody for violations of multiple Starfleet directives, triggering the end-boss fight right there.

Since that isn't going to happen, outright removing this insult to our characters' intelligence and honor is the next best thing.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    they replaced the missions with new ones but I should read that stuff more often I am interested in the secondary deflector stuff since I now have a character that has a ship with one.

*goes to read some more*
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ummax wrote: »
    they replaced the missions with new ones but I should read that stuff more often I am interested in the secondary deflector stuff since I now have a character that has a ship with one.

*goes to read some more*

Yes they replaced 15 with 4 ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
    edited January 2015
    Here you go OP perfect for your trip down memory lane

Memories
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    I'm not saying this to spite you but of all the removed missions , Divide et Impera and Saturday's Child will be the ones most missed by me .

"Divide" had us making a wrong decision (with innocent lives lost as a consequence) -- something that as Starfleet captains we're always in the danger of making (if Trek was real) .
    That alone made the mission special in my eyes .

"Saturday" was just one of those lovely reminders of the crazy that went before , and for that alone it deserves a mention .

... only Mak'koy ! :)

Well, I agree with Saturday's Child being a decent enough mission.

However...
    The only Trek-style "bad decision" in there was the decision to send Zelle and a Starfleet team in to check out that base in the first place. Once there, you are forced to carry the Idiot Ball for the entire story.

And it could have been improved with some additional dialog (along the lines of starting to wonder if these orders are legitimate, but it feels like something isn't allowing you to think about it), and a simple logic branch - after scanning the medical supplies, you could have tried to take Zelle into custody for violations of multiple Starfleet directives, triggering the end-boss fight right there.

Since that isn't going to happen, outright removing this insult to our characters' intelligence and honor is the next best thing.

Quoted for emphasis.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    For those grinding Argala, these romulan missions are a target rich environment and haul in good amounts of XP/skill points when played on advance/elite.

I didn't think people were grinding Argala for kill XP, which isn't that amazing on any difficulty level (and is especially weak for ground which acccounts for many targets here).

The big perk to Argala and Delta Patrols is the MISSION XP, which exceeds what you'd get in story missions.

In any case, you basically don't get XP from ground targets now.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited January 2015

See... I disagree. I think forcing our characters into idiotic mistakes is the height of drama. I'll agree it could have been handled better.

I am fairly confused why they're going so far to remove T'nae though. She's an actual character and one of the few we encounter at that range of missions.

It also takes away impact from her appearance in Temporal Ambassador.