test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bob's Big Giant UI QoL Thread

mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
The UI needs a lot of QoL love. My biggest irritant with STO (bugs aside, although several are listed below) has always been with the UI and with general QoL issues caused by unnecessary clicking and arbitrary design choices.

This list could proooooobably use some formatting but after writing the whole thing down I'm too tired to do so. I'll get back to formatting later. :P

I also probably missed some things I'll edit in later.

Joined January 2009
Finger wrote:
Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mandatorianmandatorian Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Add this aswell....
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1345621

About seperating mats from items in the sell windows :)
  • jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    On the topic of the exchange, a few things.

Sorting by rarity still does not work. For instance, selecting VR only will show only VR items, but not ALL matching VR items. Tested with multiple items.

Second, Price per unit Ascending and Descending sort options have their effects reversed.

As to the other UI elements, all the suggestions look good. I would only add that it would be nice for certain windows not to drop framerates into the single digits.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Damage/injury repair should have either a HUD control that links directly to it, or at least the ability to keybind directly to it. As it is, it takes 2-3 clicks to get to the repair window and another 2-3 clicks to clear all the windows you opened in the first 2-3 clicks - a big time-waster when you die in the middle of an STF and need to repair quickly before respawning.
  • captwilhelmcaptwilhelm Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I know this thread is about the QoL improvements for the GUI, not bugs. But anyone that hits the forum of graphical issues will see several threads complaining that the GUI is a fps eater. Its an old bug (like, really, really, really old), affects all cryptic games and severely impacts performance, heavily impacting the gameplay experience. So, I think it affects our QoL (and players of other games) and worth to mention here.

An example of what I'm talking about: I'm in a i5 notebook, with 8GB RAM, Win 8 and Geforce 660M with 2GB of vRAM. Set the two sliders at graphics configurations to minimum and go to Starfleet Academy. With /showfps 1, I register ~20fps (this is in the limiar of when the humans start to be able to discern individual frames, so the game is visibly laggy). Now, I turn off the UI with Alt+F12 or simplying by bringing the main menu with ESC. The fps jumps to ~55-60 :eek:. The same procedure with settings near max makes fps go from ~17fps to ~30fps. Bringing more UI elements, as the inventory, rep screen or doff makes the problem worst. This is also measurable using /fpsgraph 1
    Pre-forum change name: Captain Wilhelm

Thanks Cryptic for introducing the Kelvin Timeline. It remembered why I decided to never more put any money on this game.
  • seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I am +1'ing this topic in its entirety.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The biggest thing they could do to improve QoL is to fix the bugs.

Here are some old ones:

Camera zoom keeps resetting every map change.
    Camera distance resets on map changes
    EPTX (ept-s, ept-w mostly) have longer Cooldown than it should be *see post #5*

There are many other UI bugs that are quite old. Did you know that many text boxes don't update properly unless you click on a blank spot in the window? For example, try editing "Max physics debris objects" in the "Graphics" tab or the withdrawal limits in the fleet bank.

And for the life of me, I can't figure out what's up with the messages of the day in the fleet window. There are two tabs where you can edit the main MotD: the "Overview" tab and the "News" tab. I think one of them takes precedence over the other, but I don't remember which. One of them also seems to automatically capitalize certain words. Each fleet holding has its own MotD, and those also behave strangely. Editing one MotD sometimes makes it appear as though all the others have changed. I'm not sure whether this is a display bug, because sometimes changing maps fixes the problem.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • eurialoeurialo Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I do not know if anyone has wrote about this: the HUD drastically reduce the FPS... Try to deactivate it and look at the great improvement you gain. Unfortunately, several HUD's windows are to much usefull (or simpli necessary) and it's hard to deativate them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Playing STO spamming FAW is like playing chess using always the computer's suggested moves
  • thehatchthehatch Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The Exchange has always been unreliable. And it's just amazing how the tray fails, the core gameplay UI element.
    • Exchange filters: selecting to sort by "Price per unit, ascending order" will actually sort by price per unit in descending order, and vice versa.
    • Exchange search functionality: Placeholder functionality would be helpful; also important in this regard: the order of [suffixes] is currently not following a clear rule (i.e. "alphabetically"), especially with deflectors and warp cores. UI consistency is required at all times.
    • Exchange filters: Instead of placeholder searches, additional subcategories (i.e. "Pistols", "Dual", "Antiproton", etc.) could be used.
    • Tray, ground: Position of certain powers is not remembered reliably, and resets unpredictably on map transition. This is at least true for set bonus powers, such as the Omega remodulator and distortion field. (My remodulator is on "4", my distortion field on "a3". They will switch their positions often and unpredictably after map load.) These powers must remember their position reliably.
    • Tray, ground: Reequipping items with associated powers (omega set, tribble, ...) will also reslot the associated power to the tray at the last spot they were slotted to, but only if no other power occupied that slot in the meantime. This is undesired behavior. Powers must remember their position reliably, even after other powers occupy the resp. slot.
    • Tray, ground: Equiping a new device will add it's associated power to the tray at any (unpredictable) available spot, and _additionally_ will make the power available in the resp. device slot (green border). If an item's power is already available on the tray by device slot, no second power button is needed.
    • Tray, ground: Using up one stack of hypos, thereby emptying the device slot, will unslot that device slot from the tray. Equipping a new stack of hypos (or different hypos) may or may not make it reappear, and it may or may not be in the same position. Device slots must remember their position reliably, even if they are currently empty.
    • Tray: Since Anniversary patch, some UI power graphics are no longer aligned and are bigger (or smaller) than what they should be. (Example: The weapon power graphic on the tray is larger than the auto fire box around it.)
    • Tray: Powers are unpredictably grayed out and/or have a yellow box around them for no reason after map load. They function normally, however, and will reset to default behavior after being used once. Powers should only be grayed out if they are unavailable. I don't even know what the yellow box means.
    • Character sheet: All data regarding space must be available on ground maps and vice versa, exactly as they would appear in the resp. location. This includes item and power tooltips.
    • Reputation: Researching any set bonus must be possible by looking at the tooltip or otherwise interact with the rep project that's offering the item.
    • UI: When interacting with any chat window during map transition, the chat windows and certain other UI elements change or reset their positions (sometimes). This can be remedied by pressing ESC to bring up the game menu, Rearrange HUD, and ESC.

There is so much more! I am trying to remember all the annoyances.
    A place for race pilots in STO: /channel_join Racing
    Win 15,000 GPL in the Hodos Racing Challenge!
  • thehatchthehatch Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    A few more things:
    • Tailor has no revert/undo functionality.
    • Inventory:
      • Sort button has no revert/undo functionality.
      • Sorting in general uses a strange sorting function. It may be best to include a toggle in the options to "allow sorting".
      • Custom inventory organization: Allow to organize inventory by custom functionality to define tabs, sub tabs, or spans that hold certain items (by custom category, rarity, level, and similar filters) in a custom sort order (matching picked up items will go into that tab, sub-tab or span instead of the first free inventory spot). Those tabs, sub-tabs, or spans could be custom named, collapse/expandable, and "flashing" on pickup of a matching item. Any custom settings must be exportable/importable for other characters by any means. This could introduce pockets or backpacks.
      • An option to "show empty inventory slots" along with a numeric indicator and a "drop zone" in the inventory window for new items could be useful.
    • R&D: There should be a note before spending Dilithium (i.e. to complete a started project).
    A place for race pilots in STO: /channel_join Racing
    Win 15,000 GPL in the Hodos Racing Challenge!
  • oddboyoutoddboyout Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    A very minor UI note:

In the Character window, the Traits and Specialization tabs should be flipped, making Traits the third tab. The Specialization tab is only used by the player character while the Traits tab is used by BOffs as well.
  • lastavailabenamelastavailabename Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    it keeps un-slotting my bridge officers since this season. Up to now I ignored it - believing they will come up with fixes. Nope. No fix. This is really starting to annoy me: Almost EVERYTIME I have to reasign the bridge officer stations. It has come to the point, where I am very close to taking an extended hiatus from the game.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    • Allow the second ability tray to be placed in a horizontal position like the first one, for more flexible placement on large screens.
    • A mechanic for copying ability tray layouts between ships or otherwise saving a layout to be loaded on another ship so we don't have to reconfigure everything every time we buy a new ship.
    • Tabs in the exchange window for sales reports and returned items, so they don't need to be spammed into our mailboxes anymore.
    • Buttons for duty officer assignments that allow player to auto-select the best doffs for success or critical. The game currently uses both, depending on assignment, but we have no control over which one is used and have to switch them all manually one-by-one if its wrong.
    • Sort the in-progress duty-officer assignments list by time remaining, like they were before the doff UI revamp.
    • Sort the completed duty officer assignments list by completion time, like they were before the doff UI revamp.
    • Show the cooldown (if any) of a duty officer assignment in the "assignment log" tab. Make sure assignments stay in the log at least until the cooldown is over. Provide an option to sort the list by completion time or remaining cooldown.
    • If a duty officer assignment is available but can't be taken because it's on cooldown, show it in the available assignments list greyed out, with the cooldown timer visible, instead of hiding it completely.
    • A tab in the missions window that tracks cooldowns for things that are otherwise untrackable, like the daily rep mark boxes and event special rewards (crystal shard, etc).
  • plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    it keeps un-slotting my bridge officers since this season. Up to now I ignored it - believing they will come up with fixes. Nope. No fix. This is really starting to annoy me: Almost EVERYTIME I have to reasign the bridge officer stations. It has come to the point, where I am very close to taking an extended hiatus from the game.

Yeah... it's so damn frustrating... and best right after joining an STF and then see the empty tray bar...gharrrr
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Buying doffs from fleet vendor is 1 at a time, would be nice to buy a stack with the sliding scale selector for the amount.
    Also unpacking stacks of boxed fleet doffs is one at a time. should be a right click option on doff box stack to "unpack all" (or as many as will fit into your roster)
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Suggestion: modal windows need to die as a design element, especially considering how many essential windows in STO seem to share the same modality that renders them unable to be open at the same time.

In particular it is incredibly frustrating that the Replicator window shares modality with any Assignment windows that require interaction to open (e.g. Department Heads, Cluster Assignments). What this means in practice is that it is very common to, say, query a DH or Cluster for assignments, find that there's a particular commodity you need, open the Replicator dialog--and find that your assignment window has been dismissed. Which means that if you need a reminder of exactly how many of what you need to replicate as you're scrolling through, you can't just glance back at the other window--you have to completely close the Replicator window first, then re-open the assignment, then close that and go back to the Replicator. It's a huge amount of pointless wasted effort, and there's no good reason that these two windows need to share modality.

It's equally frustrating that opening a modal window immediately switches your throttle to all stop--it makes it impractical and annoying to check your DHs for assignments while you're on a long autopilot through sector space.

So can we please just kill off the stale dinosaur that is modal windows entirely? They're embarrassingly 90's and there is no good reason to use them unless it is essential to prevent a user from doing anything else before they close that window.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster