test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

MMORPG.com player's choice awards.

kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm?loadFeature=9273&uh=FBE7ABCDF2798EE1A4E4C82C318AF4AA

Some one actually put STO as a choice for most improved in 2014. Currently at 1.7%(last place), people are definitely telling that is clearly not the case. Find it absolutely hilarious yet sad at the same time. I say sad because game use to be my primary game to play. So much that wife aggro got locked into permanent on mode.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
-I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
-The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
Post edited by kdawgenigma on

Comments

• jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    To be fair it has been updated lots this year even if some of it was bad it still has had a lot of content update and revamp etc sooo not shocked its up in the list
    JtaDmwW.png
  • quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    yeah but when someone like Total Biscuit tweets a negative comment on taking a look at STO Again should have the devs take notice that things aren't as rosy as it seems .
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Even though there are things I don't like about DR, I honestly would probably vote for STO out of those options.

The other games listed have either stagnated completely or gotten worse. DR was a bit of a mixed bag for me, I liked a lot of it, other parts.. not so much.

I absolutely think it was the most ambitious of any of the MMO's listed. I still think DR is a few major issues away from being a great release.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I know the defenders will have fun with me over this, but, monetizing every aspect of the game is in no way improvements. I know I am exaggerating with the every aspect part but not by much. A game should not feel like you are clocking in to a job every day and not have that "Did I actually accomplish anything today?" feeling. I haven't been able to bring myself around to finish the Delta content. Got to Kobali and have been sitting there ever since. I haven't even been doing my daily log ins for the 20 hr crafting assignments. That tells me right there that something is wrong in the game for me when I brush off the game I use to spend the majority of my time playing.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • desade1desade1 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I know the defenders will have fun with me over this, but, monetizing every aspect of the game is in no way improvements. I know I am exaggerating with the every aspect part but not by much. A game should not feel like you are clocking in to a job every day and not have that "Did I actually accomplish anything today?" feeling. I haven't been able to bring myself around to finish the Delta content. Got to Kobali and have been sitting there ever since. I haven't even been doing my daily log ins for the 20 hr crafting assignments. That tells me right there that something is wrong in the game for me when I brush off the game I use to spend the majority of my time playing.

I agree with you, I think there are things that take way too long to accomplish and paying to speed it up is a poor business model. It's one I don't take part in at all, all it does in my case is make me log off and stop playing. I'm not going to pay to speed up an upgrade so I can fly my ship, I'll just log out and pass the time playing something else.

I do like some of the story stuff they added, I like the Intelligence stuff, I even like the Crafting System, I just don't like the time gates or massive cost. I think the fundamental system is solid, just not the way I want it implemented.

If I had to name the one thing that I most dislike about DR though, it would be the way it moved the game away from the casual player. DR killed the PUG STF groups and forced people into the DPS race. It's a problem I still believe can be fixed, and if done would really elevate DR overall.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I came back to the game after a couple of years away and there have been some real improvements not even considering the DR part.

Despite the bugs and [PVP Res] mods (grrr!), crafting is better than before. The fact that you can craft at lover levels and then upgrade to 14 just by spending (thousands and thousands) of dil is a vast improvement over being forced to craft at Mk 12 using ultra rare mats. Being able to upgrade sets like the Jem'Hadar with dil instead of Zen or Lobi is also an improvement.

The faction story missions leveling up have been nicely reworked, leaving only the terrible voice acting for the Guardian of Forever to remind us of how bad they used to be.

New Romulus has been fun to go through with several characters.

The intel powers are fun, though they do need to fix Incite Chaos so it stops infecting my boffs.

I'm happy with my T6 ships even if we're missing KDF and Romulan science ships. The free winter carrier is fun to fly and they did finally fix the other discounts yesterday. The Brek pets for 47K EC work well.

There are rough edges all around and they should work on fixing a bunch of them before adding the new and probably buggy boff system, but done right that has potential too.

So, coming back to the game I do see a number of improvements.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Even though there are things I don't like about DR, I honestly would probably vote for STO out of those options.

The other games listed have either stagnated completely or gotten worse. DR was a bit of a mixed bag for me, I liked a lot of it, other parts.. not so much..

I would too (but of course I'm not going to create an account for a website just to be able to contribute to a popularity contest with only that websites kudos at stake. Get a dev over a tank of piranhas and then I'll bother) however despite what I can justify according to my own experience and reason this is after all a popularity contest. No surprise that the Star Trek MMO isn't doing well when its on the same list as WOW [during an expansion year], Elder's Scroll, and a Bioware Star Wars game. Kudos to them, but the exercise under the pressure of mob appeal/opinion does smack of being rather pointless (if you want to work out who did the best job this year have a discussion, don't take a collective force vector of social impulses).

BTW, Mattjohnsova that sig is what we call in the business a non-significant data trend. Try to find the pearson's correlation coefficient. You'll be amazed at what I'll bet a dev's life (over a tank of hungry piranha's) that I'm sure you'll find.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!