test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Active account attached to forum posters

mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
I won't go as far as saying we should go the way of a certain other sci fi MMO that only allows paying customers to post on the forums, but I think we need to take a step in that direction.

People that aren't playing the game in god knows how long and only post here to troll and spew hatred on the game and the developers is entirely unhealthy for the community.
Post edited by mirrorterran on

Comments

• jasonl21jasonl21 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It's an idea. But if implemented, it'd have to be restricted to confirmed PWE/Cryptic employees only. No one else at all. It's one of these things that has the potential to get abused. Unfortunately I've seen it happen on some old telnet talkers I used to be part of. :(
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Agreed. It would put a stop to people coming on here just to mindlessly praise everything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    I think his intent was to cut down on the number of fake single digit post accounts that seem to proliferate when people are in rage mode over some thing or another. I'm not talking about new players either. I'm talking about single post ranters. Throw away accounts made to verbally abuse anything and everything to get away with it while protecting their main account.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    js26568 wrote: »
    Agreed. It would put a stop to people coming on here just to mindlessly praise everything.

So are you saying you want to stop the endless praising AND mindless "Lol Craptic! WE R SMART! WE KNO GEAM BUTTER THEN U!"
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Except that its made that game's community more toxic than STO at STO's worst. At least here if people want to avoid whatever hotbutton topic is around, for the most part they can do so just by skipping General Discussion and go through the shipyards or mechanics section. In that other game, most of the paid subscribers are either PVPers or dedicated raiders (thats the main reason one would subscribe), and so lo and behold the forum is mostly PVP or dedicated raiders with little tolerance for disagreement or casual players. That game my have much better story and characterizations than STO, but their community setup is abysmal and not something to be at all emulated.
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,213 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I think his intent was to cut down on the number of fake single digit post accounts that seem to proliferate when people are in rage mode over some thing or another. I'm not talking about new players either. I'm talking about single post ranters. Throw away accounts made to verbally abuse anything and everything to get away with it while protecting their main account.

This sounds about right.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • hausofmartokhausofmartok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Not a bad idea IMO to only let gold subs access to the forums. But regardless, what this forum really needs is more mods, and more active and effective ones at that. Coming from many other hobbyist and gaming forums, the mods here are very lazy when it comes to moderating and are not really on the forums enough to moderate effectively. The mods here only have three moves: close, move, ban, repeat.
    The mods are almost completely non-existent on the weekends and it's like the wild west in here on Sundays. So ya, get like four or five real mods who are actively playing the game, part of the community, and that don't have massive time obligations outside the forums/game and maybe we'd see some sort of civilized forum here.
    edited January 2015
    We've only got two active Mods, Bluegeek and Askray, and they're volunteer Mods at that.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I won't go as far as saying we should go the way of a certain other sci fi MMO that only allows paying customers to post on the forums, but I think we need to take a step in that direction.

People that aren't playing the game in god knows how long and only post here to troll and spew hatred on the game and the developers is entirely unhealthy for the community.
    You made a few flawed assumptions. In order for your statement to be correct, you have to prove that every negative comment was created by a non-paying Free2Play player. Can you do that? I can prove you wrong. I am a Free2Play player, and I have spent roughly $600 on "Star Trek: Online".

Second, are there more subscribers or Free2Play players? Do you have these numbers?
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited January 2015

There's no 'protecting their main account.' Like PWE wouldn't know who those accounts belong to. If anything, those accounts are ere Dev sock puppets running interference; and, short of Devs taking action on themselves, there's nothing we can do about those, except to spot their fakeness for what it is, like we usually do.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    OP's comments sound like censorship.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Meimeitoo, your signature just scared the TRIBBLE out of me on the Ipad in fullscreen :mad:
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,800 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    js26568 wrote: »

Signed as well :D
    DUwNP.gif

edited January 2015
    Pure BS. I use the Opera web browser and it offers over half a dozen free extensions that mask a users email address, IP address, and other personal information. Other web browsers offers similar free software for users that does the same thing.

It's ridiculously easy to set up fake accounts using free email addresses, and posting from smart phones, Ereaders with wifi, tablets, etc without ever revealing your main account or the IP address of the computer you play the game on.

Hell we've got thousands of players that post on the forum when their at work.

This was the point I was trying to make. To protect their main account, they make a throw away email, then make a throw away account that can get banned for verbal abuse or anything else that breaks the forum rules. Their main account is protected because it is in no way connected with their cannon fodder accounts.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited January 2015

I completely agree.

It would validate my now hundreds of posts regarding the poor state of development, planning and implementation that is hurting this IP.
    venkou wrote: »
    OP's comments sound like censorship.

Of course it is, and likely he's a plant as well. What he doesn't realize is that the more vocal people are often paying customers.
    As for identifying 'fake' accounts

Cryptic can very well see who's real and who isn't. The basic admin functions for this forum allow that.
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Of course it is, and likely he's a plant as well. What he doesn't realize is that the more vocal people are often paying customers.
    Exactly. Funny thing is if that did occur the Cryptic Defence Force would be outnumbered even worse. The Apologists would have apoplectic fits over the frustration and demands for Cryptic to increase the quality of their game.
    Cryptic can very well see who's real and who isn't. The basic admin functions for this forum allow that.
    That's assuming the forum is setup correctly. The fact that basic features like PM's are not easily useable and barely functional are not a good sign of that. However it would be business as usual for Cryptic...
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I completely agree.

It would validate my now hundreds of posts regarding the poor state of development, planning and implementation that is hurting this IP.

I'm no plant, I'm just a regular joe f2p player. I tried to make it clear that I don't care if someone is paying or not, I just want them to be active players of the game before they go ranting in the forums.

When I see an 8 paragraph diatribe by someone who has a total of ONE forum post, or freely admits to having not played the game in months, something is wrong. There just shouldn't be thread after thread after thread encouraging people to boycott the game or asking for heads to roll.

When they get their way and the game is shut down, and everyone starts to believe them that the game is unplayable, who wins? No one. This idiotic nit picking of every little change to the game that causes an uproar needs to be addressed, whether it be by us or PWE I don't care but it's now officially beyond sane.
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm no plant, I'm just a regular joe f2p player. I tried to make it clear that I don't care if someone is paying or not, I just want them to be active players of the game before they go ranting in the forums.

When I see an 8 paragraph diatribe by someone who has a total of ONE forum post, or freely admits to having not played the game in months, something is wrong. There just shouldn't be thread after thread after thread encouraging people to boycott the game or asking for heads to roll.

When they get their way and the game is shut down, and everyone starts to believe them that the game is unplayable, who wins? No one. This idiotic nit picking of every little change to the game that causes an uproar needs to be addressed, whether it be by us or PWE I don't care but it's now officially beyond sane.

Why is it wrong for people who haven't played in months to keep tabs on a game they like and perhaps even love. Even if they haven't played a ton in the last few months.

Who decides how much "play" time makes me a customer. If I log in 2 times a month is that enough... how about once a month. Or is it required that I log in once a week.... or with in 24hours of posting.

Your idea is silly.

I admit having not really "played" the game in awhile now. I log in now and then though and work the market for 20min to make a few hundred million EC just to be sure if I come back I have stuff to come back to. Does that mean I don't get to post even though I HAVE been a paying customer for 4+ years and have dumped thousands of dollars on this piece of C game.

Your saying I get no voice because the money I spent was all at least what more then 2 months ago... again where do you draw the line.

The more I think about it never mind I agree with you. Cryptic should go through the forums and delete everyone who hasn't spent at least a few grand. Then the forums can be Me and the 20 other people that have bank rolled this thing that bother to make there voices heard. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    LOL, I bet this imbecile expected some kind of support from us.

And for the record I am a Lifetime Account Holder, look at my Avatar. I have nothing positive to say about this dilthium grinding game.
  • mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Why is it wrong for people who haven't played in months to keep tabs on a game they like and perhaps even love. Even if they haven't played a ton in the last few months.

Who decides how much "play" time makes me a customer. If I log in 2 times a month is that enough... how about once a month. Or is it required that I log in once a week.... or with in 24hours of posting.

Your idea is silly.

I admit having not really "played" the game in awhile now. I log in now and then though and work the market for 20min to make a few hundred million EC just to be sure if I come back I have stuff to come back to. Does that mean I don't get to post even though I HAVE been a paying customer for 4+ years and have dumped thousands of dollars on this piece of C game.

Your saying I get no voice because the money I spent was all at least what more then 2 months ago... again where do you draw the line.

The more I think about it never mind I agree with you. Cryptic should go through the forums and delete everyone who hasn't spent at least a few grand. Then the forums can be Me and the 20 other people that have bank rolled this thing that bother to make there voices heard. :)

You can "keep tabs" as you say all you want, but it doesn't give you the right to log onto the forums and go on and on and on and on and on about how horribly the game is being ran and how much it sucks. Go away.

And for the third time, I don't care if you've spent 10,000 dollars or 10 cents, if you aren't playing the game your opinion has no merit.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    A 200-post forum member complaining about the low post count of other posters. Fabulous.
  • dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Most of those posts are me telling the truth while avoiding a ban on my LTS account. Having had my LTS account suspended for telling the truth in the past I don't want to be silenced again.
    edited January 2015
    You can "keep tabs" as you say all you want, but it doesn't give you the right to log onto the forums and go on and on and on and on and on about how horribly the game is being ran and how much it sucks. Go away.

And for the third time, I don't care if you've spent 10,000 dollars or 10 cents, if you aren't playing the game your opinion has no merit.

That isn't the way the real world works my friend welcome to it.

Lets assume for a second you own a small shop. This shop is so small that you only gain 1-2 new customers a month... but you have 100 or so customers that come back every month. These people all spend a good chunk of money when they come to see you.

Now one month 10 of them stop coming at all.

Do you care to know why ? Or do you say TRIBBLE em they aren't spending money any more and I could care less why.

Think about it a little bit.

Also as I pointed out... how long do I have to not log in before Cryptic should no longer consider me a customer. You haven't really answered... is it a Day, Week, Month... a few months... 6 months. I would like to know what you consider reasonable. I logged in for 20 min a week ago or so... so am I still not a customer ? Or do you mean I'm just not a customer that is allowed a voice cause I don't grind daily.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I will say again what I have said before:

I think the happiest people or most anti-whining players spend little or nothing.

Big spenders are unhappy and the more they've spent, the more unhappy they tend to be.

And you could interpret that to mean that nothing is broken as long as those people keep spending, that wallet votes speak louder than forum posts from a player.

I think that's a lousy attitude.

A good design is one where the more someone spends, the more vocally happy they are. And I think until you achieve that, your model needs refinement.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The OP's idea is one that I do not support.

What we really need is more moderators. And given the standard issue mod powers, rather than be glorified post/thread editors and baby sitters.

Hell, I'd volunteer to become a moderator if I knew how and who to talk to.
    edited January 2015
    The OP's idea is one that I do not support.

What we really need is more moderators. And given the standard issue mod powers, rather than be glorified post/thread editors and baby sitters.

Hell, I'd volunteer to become a moderator if I knew how and who to talk to.

I think the moderators are doing a fine job though. Really what is it you would moderate. If I say I'm unhappy with X or Y in regards to the game, am I breaking a forum rule ? Cause if anyone breaks a rule the current mods do a fine job of removing the posts, and issuing warnings and banns if they need to.

What you are suggesting is that Cryptic should get someone to censor there forums to sanitize them and remove anything that isn't "awsome". If they go that route there forums would simply die. There are a few developers that do go that route and super censor there forums, I can't think of many where it has been a positive thing though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]