test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reciprocity on a tank

ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Federation Discussion
For a tank, something that's always getting shot at because of high threat skill and +threat modifiers, would reciprocity work to keep tactical abilities at or near global cooldowns so that extra doffs or A2B is unnecessary?
I became a tank player long ago, and it's what I tend to gravitate toward. Tanking on tac limited ships means I use a lot of doffs just to keep tac abilities up as often as possible. Reciprocity looks like it could solve some or all of the problems I have had trying to deal with limited tac abilities.
So, does anyone have any experience with it and know if it would be a good investment or if it is a gimmick like underwhelming force is on the KDF side?

Thanks for your input.
Post edited by ryakidrys on

Comments

• cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Reciprocity works based on your being missed by your opponent - each time a miss happens it knocks a little off your Tac and Intel abilities.

Being a proper Tank with decent threat specification, and a decent defence stat will be just great for it. Being a Speed-Tank will work even better.
  • jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2015
    You're right, it's pretty amazing on tanks. If you want a good read on it, Here's the post I made on it a bit over 2 months ago. If you want a short version, have threat, keep moving, and it'll allow you to only run 1x your tac abilities.

Now, while apparently a lot of people have been having success with it in simple high-dps ships, I worry about the constant effectiveness of that, but if you wanna do it in a non-tank, feel free. For you, OP, it'd be wonderful.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    Being a proper Tank with decent threat specification, and a decent defence stat will be just great for it.
    You're right, it's pretty amazing on tanks. If you want a good read on it, Here's the post I made on it a bit over 2 months ago. If you want a short version, have threat, keep moving, and it'll allow you to only run 1x your tac abilities.

On my Fed Engineer, I'm consistently getting around 20k DPS (28k at the high end so far) in a fleet Gal-x using an A2B setup, with a low of 50 and high of 66% incoming hits according to combatlogreader, coming my way in ISA. I was hoping reciprocity might be just the trick I could use to get past the A2B crutch on this ship since I don't have Zemok but have a couple of energy weapon officers and conn officers to reduce BFAW and tac team. Getting the attack pattern down would open a lot up of options in the engineering bridge officer slots opened up from not using A2B.

Thank you for the info folks, thank you.
  • jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2015
    ryakidrys wrote: »
    On my Fed Engineer, I'm consistently getting around 20k DPS (28k at the high end so far) in a fleet Gal-x using an A2B setup, with a low of 50 and high of 66% incoming hits according to combatlogreader, coming my way in ISA.

20-28k is pretty good in a gal-x, I'm surprised you're not apparently getting more aggro. Are you using 2 +th consoles, max threat control, attract fire, 2x FAW, any of those?
    I was hoping reciprocity might be just the trick I could use to get past the A2B crutch on this ship since I don't have Zemok but have a couple of energy weapon officers and conn officers to reduce BFAW and tac team. Getting the attack pattern down would open a lot up of options in the engineering bridge officer slots opened up from not using A2B.

Thank you for the info folks, thank you.

It'll work on everything, not just attack patterns, so you can ditch the EWO's and conn doffs as well, opening up fun things like maintinence engi's for ET cooldown, DCE's for Drake builds, a Fab Engi for RSP duration, Adak'Ukan for bonus threat on APD, Dev Lab Sci's for ST cooldown, whatever. It's really helpful.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The Eclipse and Phantom traits are almost "duh" level in your face why doesn't everyone want these abilities.

On any ship that can fit a DCE/Aux2D build.

Peace.
    edited January 2015
    20-28k is pretty good in a gal-x, I'm surprised you're not apparently getting more aggro. Are you using 2 +th consoles, max threat control, attract fire, 2x FAW, any of those?

It'll work on everything, not just attack patterns, so you can ditch the EWO's and conn doffs as well, opening up fun things like maintinence engi's for ET cooldown, DCE's for Drake builds, a Fab Engi for RSP duration, Adak'Ukan for bonus threat on APD, Dev Lab Sci's for ST cooldown, whatever. It's really helpful.

It's a romulan plasma build. I have 2 MK XII +pla +TH flow cap embassy consoles. I haven't resorted to using Adak with APD yet, though I have 2 of him in the roster, since none of my fleetmates are taking much return fire with their 30k+ DPS builds. I'm also getting pretty close to getting destroyed at times, so I'm tyring to not draw too much more return fire until I can get some more damage mitigation in the build. With reciprocity, it sounds like I could make room for more tank in the build so I can use APD/ Adak with confidence.
    edited January 2015
    thissler wrote: »
    The Eclipse and Phantom traits are almost "duh" level in your face why doesn't everyone want these abilities.

On any ship that can fit a DCE/Aux2D build.

Peace.

Oh yes. Let's see, romulans get threat reduction traits and the KDF gets a boost to cannons and underwhelming force. Sadly, the cannon boost is on the wrong ship for us players, right ship for PWE so we have to buy 2 ships to get the raptor and the mastery trait that goes with what it does best.

Battle ready lasts for 15 seconds when activating an engineering skill. When cycling 2 different EPTx abilities, you activate one every 15 seconds.... It's a nearly constant resistance and defense boost!

Nearly every T6 fed ship mastery trait benefits tanking. The developers want the feds to be tanks!
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Combat-capable tanks, that is.

Pathfinder offers a temporary shield buff when shield heals are used (and they will be since Science Team is usually carried by everyone to clean certain debuff and heal shields).

Dauntless offers 25% boosted healing with a short HoT and a 3km splash radius when using a hull heal (also used often via Eng Team or Structural Integrity); great for separated pets and hangar pets that tend to hover back around you between combat (provided its not continuous waves).

And Reciprocity only works on Tac and Intel skills. Which means if you still rely more on Eng/Sci skills, you'll need at least 1 A2B to back those up, though you can use the 5th Tier Intel Specialization (provided you ground out the necessary Spec points for it) to reduce all Boff CDs by 5% and the Delta Rep Console for an additional bit of CD reduction.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I was actually surprised by how well Reciprocity worked for me.

I pretty much bought the Phantom just for the trait, I don't really care for the ship but figured I would give it a shot since I also wanted a 2nd ship to fly behind my Guardian.

Using the Trait on my Guardian allowed me to remove my doubled up Tac skills completely. It's massively increased the versatility of my build. Honestly, I think the Reciprocity Trait is beneficial on any build on any ship.

It's just that good.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • coffeemikecoffeemike Member Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Has anyone tried this trait for a sci ship? I am curious about ditching my carrier trait from the Breen carrier for this on my tac Vesta.
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited January 2015

It's just that good.

Yep. No question. The sooner it goes cross-faction the better.

Hmm. Reciprocity based Scim. That would be a laugh...
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited January 2015

I think that would finally break the game for good. :D
    Insert witty signature line here.
    edited January 2015
    Combat-capable tanks, that is.

Pathfinder offers a temporary shield buff when shield heals are used (and they will be since Science Team is usually carried by everyone to clean certain debuff and heal shields).

Dauntless offers 25% boosted healing with a short HoT and a 3km splash radius when using a hull heal (also used often via Eng Team or Structural Integrity); great for separated pets and hangar pets that tend to hover back around you between combat (provided its not continuous waves).

And Reciprocity only works on Tac and Intel skills. Which means if you still rely more on Eng/Sci skills, you'll need at least 1 A2B to back those up, though you can use the 5th Tier Intel Specialization (provided you ground out the necessary Spec points for it) to reduce all Boff CDs by 5% and the Delta Rep Console for an additional bit of CD reduction.

All of this depends heavily on how the reciprocity trait works for me and how I run my ship. The idea is to get away from A2B all together to make room for both nukara tier 4 traits, boosting DPS and defense. If reciprocity works as well as I hope it does, there will be no need for a hybrid A2B/ A2DAMP or other build that uses a single A2B skill at all. If it does not, then I'll have to see just what is happening and determine if it is possible to enhance it with DOFFs and/ or consoles, I need to adjust my play style, or if it should be abandoned. I highly doubt the latter as I'm rather hard-core on the tanking. I've learned to tolerate Tactical players purposefully getting damage to proc go down fighting, though it's innately unacceptable for a tank to let his/ her teammates take hits while they are around. So it's most likely going to be whether it works well all the time, under the right circumstances and STFs yet good enough when not working at peak or whether it may require some DOFFs to fill out the remaining CDs anyway.
  • yomfanyomfan Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    coffeemike wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this trait for a sci ship? I am curious about ditching my carrier trait from the Breen carrier for this on my tac Vesta.
    I rely on it with my Scryer drain/debuff build, for a few reasons. The most obvious is that I tend to debuff accuracy with this ship, and that works perfectly with reciprocity.

When you mix it with the rest of the build, it creates a very nice synergy. If hit, my impulse engines give a chance to boost speed, which means I eventually get hit less. I also took the Momentum and Pattern Recognition traits, which both make the ship faster and boost defense, the longer I'm in combat. Combined with some other skills, the more heavily I hammer out the debuffs or stay active, the more I rack up misses, and cooldowns decrease. This means I get to use Override Subsystem Safety III more often, which means more draining/siphoning, and more debuffs. Skills like Battle Ready (from the Eclipse), further boost defense the more intel abilities are used, so everything feeds from the other. Rinse-repeat.

I don't use it so much for tac abilities in the interest of DPS, but more as a cog in the debuff wheel. Science captains should certainly give it a look and consider how they can best use it for their ships.
  • coffeemikecoffeemike Member Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    yomfan wrote: »
    I rely on it with my Scryer drain/debuff build, for a few reasons. The most obvious is that I tend to debuff accuracy with this ship, and that works perfectly with reciprocity.

When you mix it with the rest of the build, it creates a very nice synergy. If hit, my impulse engines give a chance to boost speed, which means I eventually get hit less. I also took the Momentum and Pattern Recognition traits, which both make the ship faster and boost defense, the longer I'm in combat. Combined with some other skills, the more heavily I hammer out the debuffs or stay active, the more I rack up misses, and cooldowns decrease. This means I get to use Override Subsystem Safety III more often, which means more draining/siphoning, and more debuffs. Skills like Battle Ready (from the Eclipse), further boost defense the more intel abilities are used, so everything feeds from the other. Rinse-repeat.

I don't use it so much for tac abilities in the interest of DPS, but more as a cog in the debuff wheel. Science captains should certainly give it a look and consider how they can best use it for their ships.

My tac Vesta is set up for CC/DPS/Surviving... since the ship doesn't have Intel slots but has eng/tac BOFFs with 62% defense at full impulse and plenty of tac & eng BOFF abilities, I'll give this a try.
    edited January 2015
    I picked up the phantom. It only took about 3-4 hours, but I got reciprocity. Switched back to the Fleet Dreadnought/ Galaxy-X and gave it a try. I randomly joined an ISA run. I can say that reciprocity works astonishingly well. Tac team, attack pattern beta and beam fire at will were all going down to 20-15 seconds without a single DOFF to help those cooldowns. I replaced the double A2B with double A2DAMP and used the DOFF to extend the uptime on A2DAMP and add resistances.

Reciprocity is working as good as I had hoped.

Thank you everyone.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Oh yes. Let's see, romulans get threat reduction traits and the KDF gets a boost to cannons and underwhelming force. Sadly, the cannon boost is on the wrong ship for us players, right ship for PWE so we have to buy 2 ships to get the raptor and the mastery trait that goes with what it does best.

Battle ready lasts for 15 seconds when activating an engineering skill. When cycling 2 different EPTx abilities, you activate one every 15 seconds.... It's a nearly constant resistance and defense boost!

Nearly every T6 fed ship mastery trait benefits tanking. The developers want the feds to be tanks!

You realize, oh Unattentive One, that you posted this thread in a Fed-Centric Subforum and Thissler provided you a reply that was absolutely true for Fed characters.

You also realize, oh Unattentive One, that Eclipse's Battle Ready Trait applies to both Engineering AND Intel abilities and not just Engineering?

You also realize, oh Unattentive One, that Eclipse's Battle Ready Trait increases defense?

You also realize, oh Unattentive One, that with increased defense, targets MISS you more?

You also realize, oh Unattentive One, that when the enemy misses you more (PVP or PVE), that Phanton's Reciprocity Trait reduces the CD of Tactical AND Intelligence abilities?

In short, go the f*** back into the game and learn to play.

I'll give you one final clue if I didn't connect the dots for you to understand: Synergy.

If you think the Fed Starship traits are useless and only good for tanking, by Kahless, I'm pretty damn sure the KDF & Roms would give up their starship traits and get the Fed ones in return.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

With the higher than normal Defense Romulans can get into their builds due to BOFF traits, it would be absolutely, game-breakingly hilarious.
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited January 2015
    You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Please read things carefully before you reply. Thanks.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It's just that good.

You're making me think to buy a ship just for one ability to use on another ship. You realize this don't you. SHAME ON YOU!
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Please read things carefully before you reply. Thanks.

Looked like a pretty clear-cut thing to me. You didn't know what you were talking about.
    XzRTofz.gif