test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A Use for Blue Bridge Officers?

hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
My request for the new year - can we please get something to do with all of our blue-quality Bridge Officer Candidates? (Not duty officers, note, bridge officers.) Anyone who's been playing for any length of time collects far more than they have any use for. We can't use them in starbase projects, grind them down for dilithium, or anything else. They're piling up like tribbles!

The price on the exchange for blue BOFFs of all sorts has been trending steadily down, particularly over the last year; we're almost at the point where it's not worth the bother of putting them up. Indeed, I imagine many players are already outright discarding them.

If that is the devs' intent - that we start trashing them - could you let us know, and/or put out some bins? But I would really like to see some alternative sink.
Post edited by hfmudd on

Comments

• Options
    lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    blues are there to allow people to train their boffs in skills they might not have or allow the player to change skills without going back to their home base.

The one thing they could do is something like is done with doffs. You could take 5 blues and turn them into a single purple for a small dil fee.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    blues are there to allow people to train their boffs in skills they might not have or allow the player to change skills without going back to their home base.
    This. Unfortunately, the exchange is so badly done, it takes hours to find the proper BOFF (it would be so easy to have a "XX skill" filter, but whatever).
    That's why I dump them, unless they have SRO or are Orion female, then I sell them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I get 60 credits worth of small hypos off their body before feeding them into the wood chipper.

Perhaps Cryptic could offer a mission to create a Soylent consumable for away team use.
  • Options
    leceterleceter Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    erei1 wrote: »
    This. Unfortunately, the exchange is so badly done, it takes hours to find the proper BOFF (it would be so easy to have a "XX skill" filter, but whatever).

Skill-Filter for Boffs on exchange is on my wishlist for STO since launch.
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I still use the first few default officers as my Bridge Crew. No idea what colour they would be (Had a quick look, don't think you can see). I appreciate the loyalty of my crew, as opposed to what they can bring me. (That and as I don't PvP and don't partake in STF's, there is absolutely no need to upgrade).

EDIT: Just found their colours, I use two whites, a green and a blue. That's it. Oh, I have another few in the roster that were more-or-less forced on me, but they're my crew. They've been with me through thick and thin, I can't replace them.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    gonalius wrote: »
    I still use the first few default officers as my Bridge Crew. No idea what colour they would be (Had a quick look, don't think you can see). I appreciate the loyalty of my crew, as opposed to what they can bring me. (That and as I don't PvP and don't partake in STF's, there is absolutely no need to upgrade).

EDIT: Just found their colours, I use two whites, a green and a blue. That's it. Oh, I have another few in the roster that were more-or-less forced on me, but they're my crew. They've been with me through thick and thin, I can't replace them.
    I replaced them with purple (when they didn't had good traits, which is not true for Elisa for example), with the exact same name and appearance.
    In my head cannon, they were never changed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Minus superior operative, I am almost certain purple doesn't influence the passives, efficiency, pirate, leadership.

Certain abilities are only found on the purple ones though.

And don't under-estimate what you can sell certain boffs for and certain abilities.

I made my coming up EC back in the day partially buying saurian with efficient for 20 EC then selling for over a million at the time.

Those are cheaper now but there are still ones you can make a decent chunk off of
  • Options
    crabbycabbycrabbycabby Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I favor the recycle bin approach. Maybe with an accolade?
    Proudly F2P
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I kind of like the Boff exchange as it is, aside from it not filtering only usable Boffs.

Mainly because the majority of the uninformed players tend to post Boffs with some really valuable skills for cheap if you're just willing to spend a little time searching.

Of course, it also helps to have a separate account dedicated solely to Boff training.

It would also be nice if Cryptic made the Mission Reward Boffs at least have one normally Player-trained Boff skill though; would go a long way towards helping new players or alts get decent skill options.
  • Options
    dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Ive been Airlocking any FED or KDF boff without Efficient, pirate, BO3, TS3, EPS3, EPW3, etc. since 2013.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    I never really noticed a difference in performance based on BOffs myself. Then again... my main's XO is an Andorian chick I picked up in the OLD tutorial. I think she's green quality, but still pretty deadly.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I never really noticed a difference in performance based on BOffs myself. Then again... my main's XO is an Andorian chick I picked up in the OLD tutorial. I think she's green quality, but still pretty deadly.

I'm fairly certain the difference is trivial simply because its a difference of trait quality, superior versus standard, which you can even find among different purple quality officers. Equipment and skills have a much, much greater impact on usefulness, followed of course by trait selection. I've been using a few white quality intel officers on ground and they certainly don't perform any worse than my purple intel talaxian (perhaps better because I've selected boffs with more and more relevant ground traits.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Some people swear by BOff traits. Some people will go out of their way to get a whole crew with Effiecent or Superior Romulan Operative or whatever. I like having a mixed BOff crew because it means I have individuals and not just virtural clones in different uniforms. Adds the the uniqueness IMO.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Some people swear by BOff traits. Some people will go out of their way to get a whole crew with Effiecent or Superior Romulan Operative or whatever. I like having a mixed BOff crew because it means I have individuals and not just virtural clones in different uniforms. Adds the the uniqueness IMO.
    You can do that, and still have purple boff with superior traits. My BOFFs are the same race than the one you had during the game (except the andorian, I never liked them). So I have trills, bajoran... But they have good ground traits.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nileight1nileight1 Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There had been talk previously about an "upgrade system" for Boffs.
    We'll see if that ever comes to sees the light of day though.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    nileight1 wrote: »
    There had been talk previously about an "upgrade system" for Boffs.
    We'll see if that ever comes to sees the light of day though.
    Pretty sure it will involves a lot of dilithium, timegate and RNG.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Nope. Its the airlock for the lot of em. No sub optimal Boffs allowed on my bridge.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I keep mine, to me the quality don't matter. Mine uses the skills I want so they stay. They was given to me. Either part of the story or I got the along the way.

The only one I had to remove and dreaded to. Was that one Fed guy from the story line. Since my character was a Sci and he was using a slot to get my ship fully seated. But I found a nice replacement and they are doing just fine.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Ive tried to space Tovan Khev, but he fights like a wildcat at the airlock door.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    dpsloss88 wrote: »
    Ive tried to space Tovan Khev, but he fights like a wildcat at the airlock door.

yeah, then he cocoons himself on the hull have to send spmeone to clean it up. never see that team again. he ends up in the ship again somehow... I'm beginning to think he is not romulan at all. probably my rom sci captain's fault shouldn't have tested all those strange plants on him. :P

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    bobosmrade1bobosmrade1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015

I dont know how much time I spent writing background story to my Fed boffs. They cant be replaced.
    And BTW, that old tutorial Andorian fenale tac officer is responsible for nearly every kill Ive made since I play this game.
    Cave Troll vs Forum troll
    Know the difference
    It could save your life...
    rushatsi wrote: »
    pvp? whats dat?
    Pervert vs. Pervert!:eek:
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Yes, everyone has their favorite bridge officers - I'm certainly no exception. But once you've got the ones you want, with the skills you want, what then? Should I (and everyone else) just stop doing the "Evaluate _____ Applicant" assignment, and/or discard anyone it gives me that isn't purple?

"Rare" bridge officers are (at this point) not only anything but, but on the edge of being completely worthless - not worth the time to click on the assignment or the Exchange. As "rewards" go, they're neck and neck with those 10 EC cups of coffee (and you can't even sell them directly to vendors). Again, if this is not the devs' intent, I'd like them to do something about it.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I dont know how much time I spent writing background story to my Fed boffs. They cant be replaced.
    And BTW, that old tutorial Andorian fenale tac officer is responsible for nearly every kill Ive made since I play this game.

I copied her, and converted to captain recently, is nice to promote your first officer to captain, ad erased her from my crew.. i'm thinking to assign one of my other bridge officers as her number one :)
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    lordhooklordhook Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    hfmudd wrote: »
    My request for the new year - can we please get something to do with all of our blue-quality Bridge Officer Candidates? (Not duty officers, note, bridge officers.) Anyone who's been playing for any length of time collects far more than they have any use for. We can't use them in starbase projects, grind them down for dilithium, or anything else. They're piling up like tribbles!

The price on the exchange for blue BOFFs of all sorts has been trending steadily down, particularly over the last year; we're almost at the point where it's not worth the bother of putting them up. Indeed, I imagine many players are already outright discarding them.

If that is the devs' intent - that we start trashing them - could you let us know, and/or put out some bins? But I would really like to see some alternative sink.

You can always throwing blue-quality BOF out a spaceship or space station's airlock without a suit, or as some universes call it, "spacing," or simply "airlocking," is a common method of killing someone in sci-fi works involving space travel.

Ops, sry wrong MMO.:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    They are there to be broken into energey and their skill memeories recorded to a new host in a disk called a TM, the body is then spread out into space as energy.... That's how I do it anyway:D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    deokkent wrote: »
    I will never stop with that assignment. Some boffs are an excellent source of ec.

The operative word is "some", as in "very few." Most are worth no more than a cup of coffee or a croissant, and may yet go lower. There comes a point when the alleged reward is no longer worth even the trivial effort... when having to deal with them at all is too much of a bother. IMO, the market for blues is rapidly approaching that point.