test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pls remove all click-partys from this game

johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Controls and User Interface
I have a theory with 2 options:

first option is that at least one of the UI guys *really* hates us players or this game in general

second one it that you deliberatly make a *LOT* of UIs in this game as clumsy and click-heavy as they are to make us spend more time in this game and thus - thats your part of the theory - we spend more.

Really pls let it be 1 because then you just have to find and fire that guy and then go and find someone you likes us and fixes all that stuff^^

Thing is what I'm talking about is mainly doffing/doff-donation, crafting, the exchange and buying commodities.

There are like 4-5 UI-related things that would ***MASSIVLY** improve gameplay and prevent us from getting crazy. Here they are:

- the doff donation screen need an *select all* (as many as needed) - button. Just that.

- some of the short term projects like exchanging good doffs for lesser quality ones need to be able to stack and an option to exchange a couple of doffs at the same time. Just make a small window where I can drag/drop my doffs like when sending them via mail or when creating a sell item for the exchange.

- the same thing goes for crafting say beams.. just make a drop down menue that allows me to create batches of beams or components at once. Just multiply the time (dil) needed to finish by the batch number and be done with it. ofc you should make crit rolls still for every item separatly.

- the exchange has this thing where the screen refreshes after you buy something and as its quite slow thats not good. I would like to be able to make several transactions at once, just clicking stuff and items that I bought could be removed from the screen without *researching* just refreshing the window basically. I can click search again if I feel like it myself.

- remember when shield, hypos, batteries and stuff was only buyable in batches of 20? You increased that amount to up to 100 at some point around LoR I guess it was. Now we want more^^ now I want a small field where I can enter a number and then buy that exact number of whatever.. commodities, shield bats, hypos, whatever I want.

Those are small things and I propably missed some similar stuff elsewhere but at least for me and my play styele those are the most painful ones I encounter every day. Just trust me on this one: I wont play longer I just do less fun stuff and be more annoyed with the game and I definitly am NOT spending more money on this game because I'm NOT upgrading my base anymore and I'm NOT crafting thousands of beams / compontents / kits. There comes a point where you want to do something but just simply CANT because the UI is just soooo bad when dealing with more that a few actions of the same kind.

When I want to donate 2-3 doffs, exchange 2 others, buy 1 or 2 items from the exchange or craft 5 beams then its all fine, but when I need to buy 10k of some commodity or donate 150 doffs to my fleet it becomes painful very quickly.

Just pretty *pls*. Some UI guy, fix this as a late xmas gift for us?

Thx in advance
Post edited by johnsteward on

Comments

• dova25dova25 Member Posts: 475
    edited December 2014
    "second one it that you deliberatly make a *LOT* of UIs in this game as clumsy and click-heavy as they are to make us spend more time in this game and thus - thats your part of the theory - we spend more."

I had this thought too............

On the other hand your suggestion's for UI improvement are good ,I like them.
    "There already is a Borg faction, its called the Federation. They assimilate everyone else's technology and remove any biological or technical distinctiveness and add it to their own."
    I refuse to be content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You know what else the UI needs? Keyboard controls.

e.g. If I want to buy 100** Provisions from a commodity broker I have to
    a) manually drag the slider with my mouse, or
    b) manually click in the text field with my mouse to enter a number, then
    c) manually click the OK or Cancel button to confirm or cancel the transaction with my mouse

• A should be solved by being allowed to use the arrow keys and/or page up/down home/end keys to increment the slider (e.g. arrows could increment by 1, while page up/down could increment by 10, and home/end would set the bar to empty/full)
    • B should be solved by having the typing cursor automatically go into the text field as soon as the purchase window appears. I KNOW that this is possible, because this cursor-goes-to-text-field-automatically behavior already happens in STO when you are selling items on the exchange. This functionality merely needs to be duplicated into other vendor purchase windows that have a numerical entry option for specifying the number of things you want to buy
    • C is simple to solve: Enter key confirms purchase, Escape key aborts and exits the window
    • Bonus: While we're at it, Tab and Shift+Tab should cycle through the buttons and fields of the purchase window

**oh p.s.: 100 is a pathetically small number. The per-transaction cap should be at least 250 (one full stack) and preferably 500 or 1000. Caveat emptor to the fool who doesn't actually read how many they're buying.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You know what else the UI needs? Keyboard controls.

It's kind of annoying the places where you can't even tab. Click location, type number, click location, type number, click button to accept vs. click location, type, tab, type, enter.
  • drazursouthclawdrazursouthclaw Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I cannot say enough bad things about the UI in this game, so here is one okay thing and a long boring story that you can ignore.

Okay thing: I like how we can change the colour scheme. THAT'S cool, and works exactly like it should.

Long boring story that you can ignore: I had to convert over 90 stacks of the old crafting materials into the new ones. It literally (i.e. 'as is written') ravaged my mouse.

Here's how you can experience that too, if you're playing along at home:

1: Double-click on the old mats.
    2. Wonder why that doesn't work, when everyone else says it does.
    3. Leave your computer and have a little tantrum.
    4. Return, post in forum with thinly veiled rant and questions about crafting mats conversion.
    5. Read replies, while being disgusted that none of this was explained in game. You know, where it actually happens.
    5. As said in forum reply, HALVE THE PILE then double click. (Or something stupid, I don't rightly remember, mainly because I've tried to wipe this experience from my mind. It WAS that dumb though, I assure you. I have no doubt someone will confirm that.)
    6. SHAKE HEAD AT UI IDIOCY.
    7. Convert material, in groups of 100. Yay for stacking!
    8. CRAFT!
    9. Oh, sorry. You can't craft yet. You don't have any of the new mats yet. No, you DIDN'T just convert them from the old mats. Have a look in your inventory, buddy.
    10. See? It says "Crafting Conversion Material Pack", or some such other nonsense. Yes, it WOULD make more sense to have converted directly to the new mats. You'll just have to ignore that, because REASONS.
    11. So, good news! You must be halfway there, right? Because those packs have all the new shiny crafting mats in them. You'll just unpack all the stacks and be away in no time!
    12. Confidently click on one of your new stack of 'Crafting Conversion Material Packs', and feel good when it convert that stack of 100 into...
    14...wait, why does that say 99 now? Is this doing this ONE AT A TIME? SWEET BABY KAHLESS, I HAVE LITERALLY OVER 9000 clicks left?
    15. No, wait. I'm panicking. This COULDN'T be this badly designed, I must be doing something wrong.
    16. Oh, of course. I have to halve the pile, like before.
    17. Halve the pile and double click on one of them.
    18. You now have a stack of 50 and a stack of 49, and a message onscreen that basically means "COMPUTER SAYS NO". Wait, WHAT?
    19. Ask in Zone chat. Unsurprisingly, this is no help.
    20. Ask your fleetmates for help, one of whom will provide you a link.
    21. Follow the link and read the writing.
    22. Reread the writing, because you must have misread it.
    23. Especially the part where one of the devs says "NOBODY will have THAT many crafting materials."
    24. Accept that you have over 9000 (again, not joking, not even remotely funny, actually) clicks because you have over 90 piles of stack of 100.
    25. You can't accept that, so you rage about it. (No, you don't break your mouse here.)
    26. REALISE THAT THESE 90+ STACKS OF ITEMS ARE CHARACTER BOUND, AND ARE ON YOUR MAIN.
    27. FACEPALM
    28. Quit for 3 months.
    29. Play other stuff.
    30. Miss your fleet.
    31. Download STO again (because you uninstalled out of sheer disgust).
    32. Start your 9000 clicks.
    33. Realise the double-clicking means it's going to be more like 18000 clicks.
    34. (this is the important part) actively stop your brain from working out how long that will take, because you just installed STO again, and you'll be damned if you waited all that time for it to download, just to uninstall it again immediately.
    35. Accept that STO is now just a chat program you can use to chat with your fleetmates.

And after all of that, come the final steps:

36. Be sick of the power that this irritation has over your non-gaming life, and resolve to do something about it, either way.
    37. Log back in, one last time, to say goodbye to your fleet.
    38. Falter at the last moment, and say to yourself: STUFF IT. I've got a few hours, let's do this.
    39. BUY A NEW MOUSE, BECAUSE THE LEFT MOUSE BUTTON ON YOUR OLD ONE IS NO LONGER RELIABLE DUE TO EXTREME OVERUSE, AS THOUGH THE CRAFTING MATERIAL CONVERSION PROCESS WAS A BLITZKRIEG AIMED DIRECTLY AT YOUR MOUSE.

That's it from me - but if you made it this far, you deserve a joke.

Q) What did Darth Vader say to Slenderman?
    A) "I find your lack of face disturbing."
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited January 2015

I HAVE LITERALLY OVER 9000 clicks left?

it was over 9000!!!!

and yes this guys experience was similar to my own,.. 10 toons full of crafting mats.. thousands upon thousands of clicks.. plus the stuff we had stored in our fleet bank.. thousands more clicks..
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    #10 didn't happen to most people.... which is where the majority of your frustration came from.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Damage/injury repair is another feature that requires a maddeningly unnecessary number of clicks just to open it, let alone use it. First you click the character button on the minimap, then you switch from your toon to your ship, then you click the Damaged button... a big time-waster when you die in the middle of an STF and need to repair before respawning. There should be either a control right on the HUD that links directly to the damage-repair window (or injury repair on the ground HUD), or a way to keybind directly to it.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    - the doff donation screen need an *select all* (as many as needed) - button. Just that.
    --- This enables the ability for people to accidentally give away their white crafting special school guys or other useful whites, and tears ensue. You can still noob it up, but you have to do it manually under the current setup.

- the same thing goes for crafting say beams.. just make a drop down menue that allows me to create batches of beams or components at once. Just multiply the time (dil) needed to finish by the batch number and be done with it. ofc you should make crit rolls still for every item separatly.
    --- did you know it has this for components? I would not mind it for items too, though.
  • stupidconversionstupidconversion Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Pretty much everything requires more actions than are needed.

Starting a rep hourly should be about three clicks (from within the rep screen).

Instead it's click, scroll, click, click, click, click-drag, click, click, click-drag, click, click, click-drag, click.

There's a lot more scrolling than needed and the UI handles it badly, as pointed out above, by ignoring a lot of navigation keys (home, end, page up, etc.). Now, that's probably because the interface can use about every possible key combo... and that brings me to another point, just as a related aside:

Focus-stealing is absolutely *rampant* in this game. Activation or entry windows are constantly popping up in front of each other or taking the focus (the chat window is notorious for it, I tend to minimize the chat window but the focus is *still* randomly shifted there).

I know this would be a huge job to fix, but I think it's worth it. I also think the last DOFF system revamp made the interface more cumbersome and not less.

I think maybe someone needs to start a "background project" to review UI choices to avoid things like the rep clickfest in *new* places, to start, and then look at what can be done to reduce redundancy in old interfaces.
  • makburemakbure Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hey! Since we're kinda on the topic, you know what would make ship batteries suck less? Can we just get them to stack to 999 in device and inventory? I don't have some long winded explanation why, it should just be like that. Every good captain uses batteries, but the run back to the vendor, the stacking of 20's in the bag, the click-move to device (because we don't have auto reload), man lets just have max stack numbers. It's not like we have a cubic meter physical space mechanic anyway.
    -Makbure