test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Devs should look at this article

stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
Just like the title says, think the Devs should read this article, it is insightful and can put STO back in the right direction, enjoy the read.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/12/04/the-think-tank-digging-out-of-mmo-doom/?cps=gravity_1762_-2421940230187647172

:D:D
StarTrekIronMan.jpg
Post edited by stark2k on

Comments

• Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Anatoli and the rest hit the nail on the head, with every comment. but this one

"There's a point at which some players don't even care if a problem eventually gets fixed, if they feel sufficiently insulted"

Well that's the point I'm at.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    A lot of valid points for any MMO. Do some of them apply to STO. Most certainly. Have Cryptic made mistakes. Most certainly. Will they admit their mistakes and engage with the community over it? Doubtful, but this can be said of any MMO really.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yes, because I'm sure they don't already know all of this.
  • Options
    usmc47usmc47 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    As long as players continue spending money and support the game, they do not have to worry about any bugs or issues with the game. They can take their sweet time fixing issues while the bulk of their staff create new expansions....

The problem is that if players stop spending money on this game, and stop supporting it. Even if they make a million posts saying that they will not spend another penny in the game until the bugs and issues are fixed.... Cryptic will do what comes naturally.... End the game and use the free space for some other game to host.

I have to agree, MMO companies should fix their issues. But they really don't have to because the game is free to play. So why bother. Even some games you have to purchase are getting released long before they should be. Not because the company wants to cheat players, but because they know they can and that every gamer is a sucker. Some games which have been released said they were ready to play.... gamers who bought them when ithey were first released found out that nothing was ready in the games... the companies lied... but the companies didn't care because they already had the money....
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    usmc47 wrote: »
    As long as players continue spending money and support the game, they do not have to worry about any bugs or issues with the game. They can take their sweet time fixing issues while the bulk of their staff create new expansions....

The problem is that if players stop spending money on this game, and stop supporting it. Even if they make a million posts saying that they will not spend another penny in the game until the bugs and issues are fixed.... Cryptic will do what comes naturally.... End the game and use the free space for some other game to host.

I have to agree, MMO companies should fix their issues. But they really don't have to because the game is free to play. So why bother. Even some games you have to purchase are getting released long before they should be. Not because the company wants to cheat players, but because they know they can and that every gamer is a sucker. Some games which have been released said they were ready to play.... gamers who bought them when ithey were first released found out that nothing was ready in the games... the companies lied... but the companies didn't care because they already had the money....

That's what I'm seeing here. It's one thing to believe that some troll somewhere is trying to undermine a business and it's entirely another to know that there is no troll in this case that the devs did in fact do a terrible job and that everyone should stop supporting them!

I'm not giving them another dime until they admit it, fix the issues, remove the grind, and make good with the community. There's a line in the sand that no one should be allowed to get away with and they have crossed it with me. This is extremely frustrating to me as well considering just about every developer out there that's released an MMO game since 2011 has jumped on this Chinese billing model in order to force players to pay to progress.

Absolutely not! I'll uninstall every game out there and tell my friends and strangers about your practices before you get another dime from me or mine if I can help it! I hope that everyone is doing the same the faster this hurts their profits the faster it will get resolved.

Treating this like players of GW2 have treated it, where they completely ignore the problems and continue to pay money, will only result in what GW2 is now suffering from, lack of valid updates or fixes that plague the game. There's only so long these things should occur and players need to understand what they are doing when they support this behavior when they continue to purchase things after these kinds of DR/Nerfs to rewards in game.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Eh, I was expecting something about twice as long and deep as that for such an article.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This article is just some opinion paragraphs.. It isn't going to do much for devs here. As long as people keep buying the gimmics it'll be the status quo. However, since STO has such a really poor business model, and all their income is based on power creep/ships and gambling, if that well dries up, its game over. Its pretty dangerous to put your eggs in one basket, if I were them I'd have diversified income a long time ago, not narrowed it further and further on the most profitable few items each update because.. metrics
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • Options
    dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    stark2k wrote: »
    Just like the title says, think the Devs should read this article, it is insightful and can put STO back in the right direction, enjoy the read.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/12/04/the-think-tank-digging-out-of-mmo-doom/?cps=gravity_1762_-2421940230187647172

Well Played!
  • Options
    ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    stark2k wrote: »

not much of an article but what is wrong with most MMO's that are on the market is that they are storyline driven only and people can't keep up so.. i post this. Unfortunately its by another company but its still the best article on the issue from the side of dev's and their struggle to feed the hungry players new content constantly.

As games age and grow to the level of complexity dev's become spread thinner and thinner as they not only have to create new content but try to squelch bugs. There is only so much money available and MMO's are extremely expensive to produce.

Sandbox MMO's

Can sto ever change? Nope its set in stone they need to continue the story experience. What they have is decent despite the criticism they get but it is an mmo which requires full dev control and support even though there is a foundry its secondary to the actual game and only a minority use it from what I see. (it also doesn't work very well and is extremely rigid so hampers creativity)
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think that from a customer relations standpoint this is very smart advice...humility and communication (genuine, two-way) is what Cryptic needs the most right now.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    darin010darin010 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    My lord the Dev's need to see this article. Lord knows Geko and all the Dev's needs to take this as his own code of conduct from now on. I think this would be a great thing for STO if it was taken to heart and put into action. We can all hope they read this at lest one of them reads this. I would like to thank the OP for putting this up and sharing it. Good going man. Hope it helps.
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think what Everett said hits this game the best. SWTOR is only as big as it is, because of the IP. That's the same thing that keeps STO. They got lucky with the game as they were designing it, but with the numerous issues it has, had it not been for the IP, this game would probably get treated more like champions online.

STO has definitely made a name for itself, but Cryptic seems to enjoy doing a lot of the things they shouldn't be doing when it comes to developing for their games. I would love to see them turn around and start doing things that improve the game as a whole, rather than just milking the ip like a grade D dairyfarm.