test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Hypothetical Question...

sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
It has been suggested many times that without the Star Trek brand on this game, it couldn't survive.

Hypothetically speaking, if a sci-fi-oriented MMO were to come out that did not bear the name "Star Trek", but were to in fact offer all the things that a Star Trek MMO should offer but currently doesn't, would it fare any better?

Hypothetically speaking, of course...
"There can be no meeting of the minds between two parties
if both parties are not willing to meet in the middle."
-Ambassador Samuel J. Stone
Post edited by sirsitsalot on

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The Star Trek name is a blessing and a curse. The dev's creativity is limited because they have to create content that looks like Star Trek. However, STO is able to get away with a lot since it is a Star Trek MMO. Such a MMO would have to rely purely on its own merits.
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    The Star Trek name is a blessing and a curse. The dev's creativity is limited because they have to create content that looks like Star Trek.

Yeah, but if you ignore the fanbase's ridiculous ranting you will find that just about anything can work in the Star Trek universe with only some minor tweeking.
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    games succeed or fail based on the niche they manage to carve for themselves. eve has gone on this long because its been the only space sim on the market, and so the people who like space sims can gravitate toward it. that's going to change in the next year or two with ed and sc. most other scifi games survive on pvp, because nerds who can't walk 20' without running out of breath play them to feel like they're accomplishing something manly. i'm not into boring sim-grind and i'm not into proving my manhood based on how well my fingers move on a keyboard. if that's all a scifi game has to offer me then i won't play it even if i know the ip; like bsg.

if there was a scifi game out that was all story mission drive, like sto and tor, and didn't force me to pvp or do boring sim-grinds for hours a day, i'd play it. i don't care if i know the ip or not. i'm not here because i'm a trekkie. i'm here because i like story-based scifi gaming. i'm only a casual star trek or star wars fan.
  • ktonof1aqktonof1aq Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Although it rolled out like a train wreck, Derrick Smart's Battlecrusider Millenium actually had a lot to offer. The game had capital ships, the ability to move from space to ground, shuttles, fighters, and ground vehicles all of which you could jump into. It was also possible to transport, mine, and complete cargo runs.

Interestingly, one of the features I liked the most was the ability to direct your crew. You could, for instance, send them to the galley, change shift, move them into shuttles, fighters, transport them, send them to mine, etc. You got to watch them on a screen as they moved around.

It gave the sense that you were actually commanding a capital ship and had a crew.

In STO (and yes, I'm a whale and a complete STO addict) I often feel like I work for my crew and/or that I am alone on my ship. I despise being bossed around by my landing party.

When STO came out with those missions where you could send your DOFFS to assist (the dominion missions), I thought we were getting somewhere. Sadly, that tech never resurfaced.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This thread needs less "hypothetical" in it. :D
    edited December 2014
    What if the story in this hypothetical MMO emerged from player interaction with each other (by means in addition to but not excluding PvP) and with the environment around them? Must story be pre-written by developers?
    nope. not interested at all. i want bold adventures to go on with my crew. i don't want any bs sim experience where the 'fun' comes with talking with others while we walk around debating philosophy and smelling flowers. i don't mind a foundry-like experience where players can write some of the missions but i have no desire at all for a sim experience.
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The niche that Cryptic has carved out for STO is an actual space ship combat game (that also happens to be hyper casual, relatively speaking). Most other space combat games that I've seen are just fighter pilot games that happen to take place in space (ED & SC). So until something comes along to actually challenge STO in this regard, STO will survive.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
    edited December 2014
    being told to do it by a superior or the fact that you happened up on it by 'accident' doesn't mean it wasn't a predesigned mission by the devs. that's just the difference between open world and instanced gaming.

At the end of the day the town was never really saved. You beat them back, you eventually get bored and leave to find something else more fun to do, and they come back for someone else to beat back. it's just a never ending open world mission. and you running off to make arrows, or whatever, was just a sim-grind: simulate doing something 'real' while mechanically tieing up your play time in a grind.

and if you really liked that play style you wouldn't need to be looking back at uo. you'd still be playing it. :)
    edited December 2014
    uo isn't the only sandbox game in the world. type 'sandbox mmo list' into google and they'll give you a whole list to try. but at the end of the day you're not out playing them. you're here playing sto, which is the exact opposite of them. and that makes me wonder if sandbox games are what you really want to play or if it's just nostalgia from your youth that you can't let go of due to your rose colored glasses.

if you can't bring yourself to go and play existing sandbox games a 'hypothetical' non-star trek ip sandbox game isn't going to grab you either. face it, you're here because this game is star trek. if you were interested in other sandbox scifi games you'd be out playing eve and elite rather then on this forum.
    edited December 2014
    I'm buying Elite next month. My usual disposable income for December went to Christmas Presents.

And I do not play STO anymore. Maybe when Cryptic stops nerfing it TO hell and turning it into the grindfest FROM hell, I'll start again. I still hold out hope that this may happen. But there are so many things that STO could have and should have that it never will have because PWE doesn't see the need to take the player experience seriously enough to really pay attention to what the players want out of the product... or more importantly DO NOT WANT out of the product...

That's why I talk about a hypothetical sci-fi-oriented MMO that would embrace those things.

As for EVE Online... No thanks. I do not put that under the catrgory of sandbox. I put it under the category of meat grinder :D
    so to sum up: you supposedly love sandbox games but don't play any. you enjoyed uo but hate ea so never went back. you don't play sto but can't bring yourself to actually leave it. do you post on the uo forum too even though you don't play it? and you want a new type of sandbox scifi game, but not eve. good luck with elite. :)
  • dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The game was great before DR. I would't play just because I am a star trek fan. Now the game sucks, and no amount of Jerri Ryan is going to save it.

Playing this game is like playing a Reman Dilithium Miner locked in the bowels of Remus. No light, just grinding dilithium in the dark for your greedy masters....
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I am not talking about a sim experience...

Did you ever play Ultima Online?

In that game, we had a world to explore, on our own or in the company of other players. What we did was not dictated to us by a pre-scripted story. The events in the world had story associated with them, as in why things were happening where they were.
    Sounds kind of like what RIFT was intended to be. Random events you could participate in at will. Same applies to the Activision game Destiny, except it's more limited. **** to a lesser extent did have zone defense that players of a specific server could attack or defend, though it was timed rather than random.

Anyway, to get back to the original topic, what a game promises and delivers isn't always tied to an IP. In theory, a game that was almost like what we have now, but better could potentially do well if it had something interesting to attract players, and a means to retain them. A part of that would be listening to player feedback, though like all MMOs, it's impossible to make everyone happy, and sometimes, depending on code, time constraints, manpower, etc, sacrifices have to be made.

The short answer, is that an MMO that's almost like STO but better, is not likely to succeed without something iconic to make it stand out.

STO, like someone mentioned early on, has the blessing and curse of "Star Trek" to attract and retain enough players, at the cost of having to play by the rules of CBS (then after that, playing by PWE's rules). Compared to that, what would a theoretical space game have that would attract and retain players without tying itself to a noted brand or a noted publisher/company?

It's not a fantasy game, where you stare at the TRIBBLE of your character for hours on end as they sexily cast a spell or go full Hercules as a finisher (stereotyping here), or could sell blatantly "sexy, flawless elves and armor that the skimpier they are, the higher the DEF rating" and "buff, he-men and their armor that the more impractically ornate they are, the higher the DEF rating", among other smaller but collectively easier bits (RIFT has Rifts, **** has flight, Blade and Soul and half the distinctly Asian-themed MMOs have atypical magic abilities or playstyles).

It's a space game, where most of the time you'd be staring at nothing but stars, ships, and hangar bays; maybe nothing more than just a head of an NPC on your communicator. Where the real customization is not at the personal character level (unless you choose to have this aspect), but that of your ship? With that in mind, what kind of ships would sell the game? What sort of gameplay would keep a player that has to spend the majority of the time staring at their ship's aft?

There's a lot of major and minor things that make or break MMOs not tied to any major brand or publisher. It's frankly easier to sell an original fantasy MMO; look at just how many there are out there to choose from, and how they all manage to retain a playerbase, compared to the few space sci-fi MMOs.