test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Exploration.. it could be done.

annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
just off the top of my head I jotted down a few things..

evacuation - either beam the colonists up (if a small number) or coordinate the relocation of a large population (assigning different types of transport to population centers)

* note, this could / should be a real time mission i.e. people die if you don't mkae the correct decisions

relief effort - Beam down to rescue colonist / aliens from earthquake / tsunami / other natural disaster.

this will require not only replicating medical supplies, provisions shield generators, but analysing elements of the disaster to determine WHAT needs to be provided.

diplomatic

- mediate treaty between two warring societies
- trade negotiations ( you have to find out what they have and what they need)
* preliminary contact -Find out what they need and which UFP planet can provide it
* Follow up negotiation - unlocked by first mission
arrange the treaty parameters
* transporting the ambassador for treaty signing

defend outpost - space or ground or both

establish base - select the site based on Geology, access to water farmable land ect.

recover technology can be negotiation, espionage or combat

science encounter - new life / new civilization

- life form begnign, run several experiments to learn about it.

civilization - gather intelligence
- pre warp, primitive establish duck blind
- Pre warp, technological society - design and seed monitor bouys
- warp capable - first contact

ship catastrophe - you have a random onboard problem, and you need to get X,Y or Z from a nearby planet

- hazardous environment - EV suits maybe random actions that can injure the away team.

- ideal environment no civilization

- civilization - can you get the material and cover your tracks to avoid violation Prime Directive?
- negotiate for the materials?

scan and harvest R&D mats

Nine mission types, most having at least 2 variations, that's 18 systems ( a new sector) without the patrol, kill rinse repeat. they don't have to be full story arcs, they can be done generically that some of it if not all can be done with RNG to expand to at least 30 systems without too much duplication

I'm sure there are other generic missions that could be integrated. and for the most part many could be done to involve combat or not, and I think would have a big Star Trek flavor to them.

Devs, if you want the ideas, take em free of charge. I just want to improve gameplay
awkward.jpg
We Want Vic Fontaine
Post edited by annemarie30 on

Comments

• captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    All good ideas.

We could also add a virtually unlimited amount of exploration content, especially in sector space and the deep space areas, by simply tweaking the Foundry User Interface a bit. There are thousands of adventures there that in the words of Q have , "...treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross."

Take a look at the second half (post #2) of this thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1316881 for details. It would really be an easy way to add a massive amount of 'exploration' content almost immediately to the game. :)
  • vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Another great idea, i have seen proposals like this in the past and we have seen them go nowhere. But to add to this, we could do so much with what is being suggested in this thread. Even building or setting up an outpost for observations on a non-warp society for example.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I alway explore the areas. Every time I patrol, when a new episode comes out, there is always exploring to do.

Don't let the game limit you on "content". Let your mind loose and have fun with it.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    alaric63 wrote: »
    I have missed the Explotarion Missions. But I have to ask: If these types of missions would be so well recieved, why don't people write Foundry Missions like them?

I have done hundreds of Foundry Missions and none of them involed problem solving, just blowing stuff up. I can suggest that this is why the Dev's don;t go that way.

The game is centered on Ships/Gear so it's inevitable the Dev's want to supply content to use that Gear.

Along with Patrol Missions, I'd like some randomized Exploration Missions based on any of the many System available to us. Maybe they could combine some Foundry created material with an option to Explore some Systems rather than Patrol?

Patrol Missions for the more agressive, and Exploration Missions for the less militant.

(Using the foundry could help them produce them easily and quickly.)

I can write them, but i can't code them. not part of my skill set
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I have missed the Explotarion Missions. But I have to ask: If these types of missions would be so well recieved, why don't people write Foundry Missions like them?

People have done those missions since exploration got removed, you just haven't looked for them.
    I have done hundreds of Foundry Missions and none of them involed problem solving, just blowing stuff up.

Wrong. Again, you just haven't looked for the good missions. But hey, if you're only relying on that crappy search interface in game, Imcan see why you're only finding bad ones.

This game would literally have an unlimited supply of free content if they focused on improving the foundry.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Exploration is high on my list of things I miss about STO.

When I first played them on the games release, I thought to myself, meh, it's alright, but it'll probably get better as time goes on as they add more content and improve the quality of the existing random missions you'd get. But of course not. Instead, there was little to no development for it and then years later say it's no longer up to quality standards and something about players getting lost which is beyond ridiculous.

Incorporating exploration with the foundry would get my vote. Heck, all of these suggestions would be great.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,844 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    While I like the structure you did, to implement this as a random gen is gonna be a massive amount of coding. More then they put into DR. So without a way to monetize the job, I just don't see it happening. If you don't have a random gen aspect and just have the same simple mission you can do in new sectors...well that is a lot easier...but people will blow through that content faster then you can make...and you will have the same old complaints...and honestly, if they were gonna do that, I'd rather they push the foundry more.

I don't think it would take that much coding. Depends on how you tackle it enter the "sector" and say 10 systems are generated. they are static until you complete them or leave the sector. if the system has a chain quest, then it's saved just like the doff chains are saved, so if the next sector is another Blue type mission it jumps to the Purple level of the chain.
    Spock.jpg

• bcwhguderian1941bcwhguderian1941 Member Posts: 804 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I have done hundreds of Foundry Missions and none of them involed problem solving, just blowing stuff up...

Sorry to say, but you have missed out on the very best. As stated, the UI is the challenge.
    Try this...

go to the Foundry UI, select "Browse All", then push the button in the top left (select I
    think its labled), in the search field type EXPLORATION. Now you're really on your way. The
    problem ALL of our authors have is players not knowing were, or how to find thier missons. There
    are 100's upon 100's upon 100's of missions just waiting to be enjoyed, of ALL kinds. Maybe
    this can give you a start. :)

P.S. If you should find some of them "buggy", or visually not what you like, bear in mind, the
    authors only have the toolbox Cryptic provides. Its not always everything the authors would
    like to have. They do the very best they can with what is provided.

BCW.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited December 2014
    Sorry to say, but you have missed out on the very best. As stated, the UI is the challenge.
    Try this...

go to the Foundry UI, select "Browse All", then push the button in the top left (select I
    think its labled), in the search field type EXPLORATION. Now you're really on your way. The
    problem ALL of our authors have is players not knowing were, or how to find thier missons. There
    are 100's upon 100's upon 100's of missions just waiting to be enjoyed, of ALL kinds. Maybe
    this can give you a start. :)

P.S. If you should find some of them "buggy", or visually not what you like, bear in mind, the
    authors only have the toolbox Cryptic provides. Its not always everything the authors would
    like to have. They do the very best they can with what is provided.

BCW.

Good Advice
  • bcwhguderian1941bcwhguderian1941 Member Posts: 804 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It appears that the Forums have a use after all. I was rewarded with quite a nugget. The Foundry isn't just a Boom-Fest. (Don't get me wrong, I love firing my Disruptors.) Thank you BCW.

Many of the Exploration Missions Qualify for a Daily Foundry Reward. That conbined with the "Officer Reports" Mission; once a day you can earn a bunch of Dil Ore, and 960 Ore each time you do another.

My pleasure. Believe me, as one who truly do'es miss our "Exploration Clusters", (I do'nt care what
    some say of them), the Foundry was a gold mine for me as well. Took me quite a while of searching/asking
    to find them. Bear in mind you only see (50) missions at a time per search. You can enter
    other search terms to get other missions (combat, science, diplomacy, etc.). Also there is a
    list of mission titles that can be searched for at the "Foundry" portion of the Forum. Remember
    to "tip" our authors if your liked thier work, its a nice incentive for them to do more. :D

Good hunting, and pass on your Foundry fun to other players. Many starving captains have no
    idea of the feast that awaits them.

BCW.