test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

would you create a new character now?

Comments

• ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I would not. Cryptic obsoleted all my gear and broke PVP with their cashgrab over gameplay, so I treat STO like the Facebook game that it wants to be. I only have one "active" toon anymore and bored to tears and only running time-gated stuff for a few minutes in the morning.

Elite is coming out soon, and it looks like its going to be interesting and immersive in all the ways that STO isnt, so I'll probably be spending my space-exploration gametime there. Would rather do that instead of making another toon for this game.
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It's a crying shame to see my noble Klingon warrior alt reduced to some sort of Contraband Doff mission farmer.

I'm less bothered about my Rommy, although I was just about to buy him a T'varo before Delta Rising hit... more money I haven't spent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yes I will. IF they give me a reason. That be a new faction to play, a new race I would love to play that isn't current, and for some other reasons. It really depends.

Currently I still have 2 lower level characters to build up. So they are not brand new, but still kinda new.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    would i create a new char now with DR?

no. end of. :P
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I would not make a new captain. I also shelved all but three of my captains, leaving one of each profession.

It was nice when you could hit T5 in a rep in 20 days, get your special currencies, and be set for level 50 with a sane amount of Dil cost.

Now reps only give old and busted mk XII, even the cost to get to mkXIII is high for just one set of gear, Q forbid you want different load outs.

Oh, but you don't need higher mk XII you say, you wail, at the top of your lungs! Well, with the fail queues, even if you can personally meet the personal metrics required for when everyone else is meeting the personal metrics, that leaves no margin of error for when someone doesn't meet their personal metrics.

Then there's having to level to 110. I liked the rep trait "nerfs". It flattened the power curve, now, they've kicked balance to the curb and it's only going to get worse as more specializations are added. Toss in three months of clicking to get R+D traits or a year to hit 20 that are part of the two minutes of nothing, yeah, alts aren't welcome in the Delta Quadrant. Thank you very much single captain whales.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Elite is coming out soon

could you give me a link :)
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I would.
    Just to see how different the game is now from back when I first started playing STO. Some of the missions and storyline have changed dramatically from back then.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Seeing as I ran 4 toons to 50 for the release of DR I wouldn't.

The game just doesn't have enough stickability after level 50 now. It's all do 1000 patrols to get to lvl 60 from 50, oh and that's with doing the normal missions. If you manage to remember the last mission tie in to the next well done, I'd have forgotten it after 100 Argala runs to get there.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Not only would I create a new one, I did 2 days ago.
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Nope I created a Reman just before launch, it will continue to sit in oblivion until they fix the XP ratios. I had plans to upgrade my gear too not going to happen so long as Dilithium costs are this high. I might as well go back to WoW at this rate at least I'll be spending less money on the WoW subscription.
  • nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Haha NO. I had 12 anyway and now I only play 2
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I will create a new character.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm finding it easier to level a new character post DR rather than an alt that wasted all the mission exp because the alt was capped at 50.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I planned to make 2 other character, but the grind for the rep, the gear and everything in between killed them. And that was way before DR, right after LoR.
    So yeah, it didn't get better :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Before DR, I was seriously considering it. At least one more (for a total of 6), as I've been wanting a Klink-side Engy. I held off, since all of this content was coming (little did I know :o).

Before, it was fun leveling a new character. Especially back around the LoR days. Seemed to be the high-point for queued events. I remember running Mine Trap (R.I.P.) a bunch of times doing the Rom Rep. It seemed less of a chore then, to get the stuff you needed for a fresh toon.

Now, with the leveling wall (honestly, not really bothered about specializations), t̶o̶p̶ upper level gear costs and *ahem* "under reported queues", amongst other things, raising a new character now does not appeal to me.
    rmy1081 wrote: »
    I'm finding it easier to level a new character post DR rather than an alt that wasted all the mission exp because the alt was capped at 50.

Eh, maybe some day.
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm an uber casual now and in the games that i play i like to roll multiple alts. Did it in WoW, STO, SWTOR, TSW and Wildstar. About a month and a half ago i rolled a new melee-only toon and i even unlocked playable klingons so i could stay with Fed. That toon has been sitting at level 15-16 ever since i made her. I made another that was just a KDF Eng about 2-3 weeks ago and she has also been sitting at level 4 since i made her. There just isnt enough of a variety in story or leveling paths to keep me interested. In WoW i can start a different faction/race and take a different leveling path. For much of the original/classic leveling area i will have multiple branching paths for certain level brackets. It wont be until the TBC zones and beyond that leveling zones get linear, but even then it still branches out into two paths before it merges into one path again. In STO each faction has the same story. In SWTOR you go to the same planets over and over. The only difference is your class story and maybe some quest dialogue. TSW is also really linear but i never got tired of doing the first zone because it was a zombie invasion taking place in a normal looking town. Wildstar was new and exciting, and in the beginning it did have two leveling paths but it merged into one and it stayed that way from about level 20-22 all the way to 50.

Another thing too is what do i have to look forward to. In WoW at level cap i would PVP, do dungeon queues or LFR raids (i'm retired from dedicated raiding now). In SWTOR though i play it as F2P and there are restrictions there. IIRC as a F2P in SWTOR you have to pay for access to PVP and PVE dungeons with 'passes'. You spend some money get 5 passes to dungeons. You can also buy the passes with normal in game currency i believe. Wildstar started with daily zones too early in the game life imo. They didnt have a lot of dungeons at release either so you could be sitting in a queue for a loooooong time as a dps (since they have trinity). In STO as a F2P you have none of the stupid restrictions that SWTOR has. But in STO about all i can look forward to is hitting 50, getting XII rep geared, doing all the rep factions, and then trying to find a purpose for that toon, or maybe just dil farm with it. With new alts i'll get to 60 whenever i get there. I have a dedicated tac space, dedicated sci space and a dedicated ground toon all of who are at 60 right now. Only my tac space is the one who has gotten all her gear upgraded to XIV. I just did that right now as a matter of fact...but i dont think i'll be doing it again. Not that it matters because we barely got any new dungeons and this game doesnt have raids. And we have 3 difficulties and once i've done it at normal then what? do the same instances at advanced and elite again? most of the same instances which i've been doing for the past 2-4 years? whoop-dee-fricking-dooooo!
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yes! I did.

A new Talaxian. She's level 52 now. All science in the Intrepid.
    Since my fleets are all done there will be no way for her to earn marks and get fleet consoles so she'll just be a sillier character mostly with free and some rep gear.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• terlokiterloki Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    rmy1081 wrote: »

That's honestly the only incentive I would have to make a new alt at this point, but since I already have six I'm actively working on the winter event with and five others collecting dust, none of which I really want to get rid of or start over, it's probably not going to happen. Most of my characters have stuff on them that I wouldn't be able to get back anymore, and I like that stuff, it makes me feel like I've got a little piece of STO history on my account.
    Admiral Katrina Tokareva - U.S.S. Cosmos, Yorktown-class Star Cruiser
    Admiral Dananra Lekall - R.R.W. Teverresh, Deihu-class Warbird
    General J'Kar son of K'tsulan - I.K.S. Dlahath, Vo'devwl-class Carrier
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I am actually considering purchasing two toon slots so that I can create a KDF science toon. The KDF (and Romulan) doesn't really have much to offer to science captains so the Breen carrier opens up some possibilities. Since the ship is science heavy and essentially free, it kinda makes sense to get it for my Fed and Rom science toons as well as a potential KDF science toon.
  • firefox3178firefox3178 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I had two alts in the process of leveling prior to the release of DR, and was thinking of making another Caitian, because one can't have enough kitties. But with all the nerfs to EC and especially XP, and the dil dil dil sinks, there isn't any fun involved now. What's there to look forward to? Endless grinding as others have said? Level a new alt so they can sit there like all the others? It's hard to travel down the tunnel when you know the light at the end leads to a cliff.

I took pride in every alt I made (I have 23), but I don't even have the desire to get my two newest ones to 50, much less 60. Thanks to Cryptic, they now just sit mothballed, waiting for a return that will likely never happen. I bought ships and zen to outfit each of them, and I am sure I am not the only one who did this. You would think Cryptic would understand alts=money, but in their quest to equate grind with content, they ruined alts. Gone are the days when you could just make an alt to experiment and tinker.

This concept of grind=content, the cash grabs and the fact they make you grind for everything now, shows just how creatively bankrupt Cryptic has become.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cryptic: If you think the bugs are bad, wait until you see our fixes!
  • aoax10aoax10 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The only reason to create new characters now would be for KDF side contraband/dil missions. Pre-DR I would have said yes. Reasons to not care about leveling other toons:

1) Poor customer service and moderators. (18 tickets and counting)

2) Poor XP gains after 50.

3) Poor judgement in costs to upgrade items and ships.

4) Ques are empty.

Creating KDF toons seems to be the only way to go for actual fun Dil grinds to help build up fleet base.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Only more contraband-farming marauders.
  • gonael77gonael77 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    No, I wouldnt create a new toon. Game is just too worse
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I would create a new alt; if only I could properly recreate Elsa from Frozen using an Orion (for the crown headwear). The problem though is that they don't get access to the shiny attire of the Tholian Silk Robes to really hit the somewhat glittery element of Frost Queen Elsa.

I could just cheap out and go for an Orion Queen Elsa (green/black attire), but that's no fun.

Silly fun aside, it's worthwhile right now to create and level a new alt, and after completing the Breen ship projects, buy all 3 and the warp core for your alt so that they can have a powerful T6 ready to go once they hit level 40 or 50.
  • swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    would i create a new toon?

well, i could call it geko and jump down a cliff
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I would, and I have. I have 8 toons either at level 60 or hitting level 60 in the next couple of weeks. I also have a new toon at level 41, and I plan on another 3 in Jan of next year.

I wait until I max out all the reps, and complete all the missions before I create new ones.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • damainxdamainx Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I really feel sorry for new players and tose making alts. The level grind from 50 to 60 is bad, the grind for spec points are REALLY bad, The grind for crafting is totally worthless and takes MONTHS or a year to complete for 1 toon. There's more, but, you all get it.

NO, I won't be making any alts. I would not recommend this game to anyone either.
  • atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    New toons for an extra 8000 dil a day. That's about it. I dunno... Use them for cargo or something. I never thought having alts would be something bad. GG Cryptic.

No desire to even play my alts, seriously. I wish R&D status was account wide. I wish Reputations was account wide. More account wide stuff for the win. I'm sure Gecko's approval rating should go up 10%.

(He's at 45% approval according to PVE players, and 2% approval according to PVP players... LOL. These numbers are completely pulled from my perfectly shaped rear, so don't stress. Also 0.000001% approval with KDF. That one is true :P )
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]