test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Shields Effects make shields look 'solid'

georgedpgeorgedp Member Posts: 113 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Graphical and Sound Issues
Hello all,
I m having this problem for sometime now, finally found some time to make a thread for it,
when under fire shield effects are getting too 'solid' looking and cant see the ship or the shield related effects like the borg shield neutralizer when under heavy fire...

The result is usually this:
http://s25.postimg.org/6b5q5hd3j/Screenshot_725.png

(Graphic settings are at high (render quality) and medium (graphics detail)
left column all high except lens flare quality
right column world detail and lighting detail high, rest medium
max lights per object 4 - shadowed 2

advanced, all sliders at 100%, frame rate at 60, video memory limit 768

on display, auto and antialising msaa-2x

I m using windows 7 and an ATI graphics card with latest available drivers)

After some testing with different settings (no change in the result) and different abilities and traits that have shield effects, I managed to found what causes it, it s the "Nanoprobe Field Generator" trait visual effect.

This effect seems to be on the same 'level' of normal shield visuals, so when I m under heavy fire those two are 'combined' and make my shields look 'solid'. When under fire by one ship the problem is not that disturbing probably cause normal shield visuals at that point
are minimum.
Under heavy fire both visuals are probably 'maxed-out' or something and that makes my shields go 'solid' looking.
(I m using the 3 set Borg in case this has something to do with visuals)

For now I had to remove that trait so I can see my ships and use something else, but I really hope it can be fixed cause i like it... :)

Made a bug report both in here and in-game about the problem but I m not seeing it either in known issues or reported by anyone else although from the replies it seems to be a gameplay bug and not an issue of my settings or something, and I was wondering if i m the only one having that problem...
Post edited by georgedp on

Comments

• jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Probably not listed as a known issue because it's not really a bug per se. I kind of like the look. Try turning bloom off, might make it look less solid and more cool-ish. Bloom kind of sucks anyway in STO, with more glitches associated with it than a lot of the other graphics settings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, you have way too much bloom there. Then again, there is about as much consistency of bloom strength in STO as there is continuity in Star Trek. I recommend setting it on a high bloom map such as that so it's not blinding and then go to a low bloom map and adjusting it such that there is a noticeable effect thereby getting a happy medium where on high bloom maps you'll get an amount of saturation but on low bloom you wont get nothing.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • georgedpgeorgedp Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    didnt think to reduce bloom, I thought 40 was already a low value...
    I ll try that when i manage to found some free time, hope tomorrow...
  • rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I would start with Bloom at zero and then work your way up rather up and work your way down.
  • opo98opo98 Member Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    rekurzion wrote: »
    I would start with Bloom at zero and then work your way up rather up and work your way down.

Setting bloom to 100 makes the game a J.J. Abrahms wonderland. :P
  • georgedpgeorgedp Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    tested it in my sci alt at 20%, looks better, (at least i can see the ship) but I still think that they should change the effect so i dont have to make experiments with bloom settings...

(I ll try today the 100% setting.... :D )