test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Compromise over the whole que thingie.

f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
Thingie being a technical of course. :D

I've been thinking of this, and I understand it may be a huge programming endeavor, don't know, best I do is use a hex editor for the old school bards tale game .

also, given that I consider compromise is equal to 2 or more people having to eat the same TRIBBLE sammich, and that I normally would never suggest a compromise, as it is better to stand on principle and fail than to lower ones own personal standards (yes this goes for both sides), I'm gonna offer it as a suggestion. heck it probably has been suggested before, and I missed it, so probably not an original idea.

We keep Normal as it is. We keep advanced and Elite as it is.

Between normal and advanced, we add another tier as it where. same rewards as normal, but with the addition of one item of the day, ie. BNP, or the like. HP's stay the same, difficulty stays the same, but what is considered mission objectives (old optional) failures are removed.

Even keep the same dilithium awards as normal. Then with advanced, we keep them the same, except, add in additional BNP's or the like, or possibly a tech upgrade, or some purple item MKXII of course.

at elite, we offer 3-4 BNP's. or whatever it takes to sweeten the pot.

IMHO, this would help to start getting PUG groups and ques a much needed shot in the arm, and might possibly put some more butts in the captains chairs.

I am sure I am missing out on something obvious here, Just trying to think of a way, to help newer players, those with multiple alts get gear, and most of all, bring back the fun in the game.

I love the team missions like these, I love meeting new people in them. But I hate the wait on many of them. I'd much rather grind our ships/skill points this way, even if it is slower than 800+ argula salad runs. at least I am flying with others, and practicing for those advanced / elite missions, while still being able to slowly get the materials for the Omega type sets.

Anyways, if this has already been suggested, or if I am in error here, please accept my apology. I just want to fly my damn ships again, with other people. I offer that others do as well, otherwise, we would not have seen the outrage over the recent changes.
My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    lol no more tiers its already breaking up the community too much just make the optionals actualy optional in advanced (as before) and then make the elites with these autofail conditions and move on really that is the fix everyone knows it (even if they dont want to admit it..sometimes the simplest solution is the best).

Its easy and simple and actually something they in their original blog were going to do but somewhere along the way they got lost and we have this mess.

If people want the 'bragging rights' (using the devs on words here) of the elite then they can get through the autofail hurdles and have said "bragging rights" since by the own terms of the devs that is what the elite was for. Those that dont care to have or need such things can do the advanced as before and get on with the game...
  • f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    In a perfect world erm, no pun intended, I would agree 100%, but this is STO, and we know they will never do it.

I would love for the mandatory optional whatever the hell the cool kids are calling it these days , to be removed from advanced myself, But I have given up hope that will happen.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Yeah dunno don't think we need another 40 empty Queues ... just fix Reward - Time - Difficulty - Ratio ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Alternatively, have a once per day reputation project where you can exchange 100 marks and 100k EC for an elite mark.
  • ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    f9thretxc wrote: »
    In a perfect world erm, no pun intended, I would agree 100%, but this is STO, and we know they will never do it.

I would love for the mandatory optional whatever the hell the cool kids are calling it these days , to be removed from advanced myself, But I have given up hope that will happen.

they are going to do something they have even said so. That something is anyone's guess but this autofail in advanced is something they admit may have not been a really good idea lol.

Now we must wait for them to decide how they can fix this. Whatever they decide people need to well have fun and feel fulfilled obviously that's not the case now. Introducing another set of identical versions to split the already stretched population further wont really help anything it will just mean a more complicated system and people filtering out a bunch of stuff to make the list shorter and more manageable. Its pretty gangly as it is now and the content has not grown to match the increase in choices.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited November 2014
    The solution isn't adding more queues.

Current changes to the game's meta content (XP, Dil, difficulty etc) have all but killed the queues in general as casual players are leaving. The only queue played at this point in CCA.

They can fix this.

1.) Lower the difficulty on Advanced.

Things like the timed optionals in Azure, or engaging the leader in Nukara etc can be altered to make the Advanced settings closer to the original elite difficulty. Failing 4 out of 5 attempts is demoralizing - especially for previously elite players.

2.) Add a chance for VR materials to Normal.

It doesn't have to huge - lets say 20-25% so that 1 in 4 missions rewards something towards your eventual upgrades.

3.) Stop this headlong rush to make elites only accessible by a handful of players.

'We have no difficulty with Elites' - 20K dps club. These players DO NOT represent the vast majority of the community, and whether through intimidation or isolation, these players have had a negative impact on the casual player.

"Why doesn't my ship get 50K in ISN"? Well for starters you're not backed up by 4 Scimitars....

4.) Offer a reputation project at Rank 5 - Convert marks to Advanced R&D Pack.

That idea has a lot of merit. It would give the casual player an out to finally use R&D, AND it removes more dilithium from the game. If you suck at ground, you can use marks to help you along. It will likely improve your bottom line with dilithium sales anyways.

Elite players will ALWAYS buy your stuff. Or grind 20 hrs a day to achieve it.

Casual players are just that - casual - and they will pay for some things. But give the total sum of the meta changes makes them unwilling to stay.

The end result of culling the player base with all of the changes has made it tougher for everyone (save a few). The exchange isn't as active. The queues are dead when compared to this point last year/ Whole fleets are not even logging in.

What's the point of playing when the only person I'm impressing is your accountant?

Oh wait... that WAS PRECISELY what you were going for...
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    i reckon the solution is to do as they said they were going to do, and simply relabel yesterdays 'elite' to todays 'advanced'.
    anything else is unacceptable.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I wonder at these supposed casual players obsession with VR crafting materials, when it's plainly obvious the average player is better off selling what materials they have and buying the finished products instead of crafting anything themselves.
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    warpangel wrote: »
    I wonder at these supposed casual players obsession with VR crafting materials, when it's plainly obvious the average player is better off selling what materials they have and buying the finished products instead of crafting anything themselves.

Because they're probably not rolling around in EC.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    the simple answer is to award just 1 special item i.e. BNP & rare crafting item for normal difficulty and two or more for advanced or elite difficulty.
    this would solve at lot of problems for new & occasional players or for anyone who just wants to play a quick fun game without going to the bother of rounding up a crack team.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    the simple answer is to award just 1 special item i.e. BNP & rare crafting item for normal difficulty and two or more for advanced or elite difficulty.
    this would solve at lot of problems for new & occasional players or for anyone who just wants to play a quick fun game without going to the bother of rounding up a crack team.

That right there would work.
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    f9thretxc wrote: »
    That right there would work.

Not for every normal run, otherwise why would anyone run Advanced anymore?
    But a simple daily option would work.
    Just include the BNP in the daily bonus box.
    Done.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    i reckon the solution is to do as they said they were going to do, and simply relabel yesterdays 'elite' to todays 'advanced'.
    anything else is unacceptable.

Pretty much this .

I'll also add the removal of the new non-optionals from Advanced .

... but that's ok , it seems they want to stretch the rope just a bit more with their "we need to meet-plan-discuss-some-more" , while they proved they could act fast and decisively during the Japori shutdown & nerf ...
  • daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    1.) Lower the difficulty on Advanced.

The actual difficulty levels in the queues are basically the same. The difference is the abysmally short timers in Advanced, and the TRIBBLE high HP of enemies for Advanced and Elite. The right way to make a mission more difficult is to upgrade the AI and buff the enemy overall power while leaving HP more or less the same. A small bump might be okay for Elite, but nothing like what they have now.

2.) Add a chance for VR materials to Normal.

They can't make it easy to get VR mats. Reason being: if it's too easy to get we won't spend as much time in game and we won't be frustrated enough to buy our way out. Crafting is a HUGE money sink for PWE, and they will never change or remove it without it getting worse.

3.) Stop this headlong rush to make elites only accessible by a handful of players.

See above. To do elite queues you HAVE to have elite gear. And a store bought T6. And all the intel DOfffs. On and on and on...the only way to truly max is to spend money and give in.

4.) Offer a reputation project at Rank 5 - Convert marks to Advanced R&D Pack.

Casual players don't matter to PWE. It's the money that most people are willing to spend to FINALLY get that one item, or end years of grinding to have endgame Epics. No, casuals aren't important in the slightest.

My thoughts are in red. I hope it all makes sense.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited November 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    My thoughts are in red. I hope it all makes sense.

I understand the thought process. My argument is a wee bit selfish, but also valid.

The people I used to play with have left. While I am finding new groups to run the advanced queues with, they are not enough for every queue I'd like to do when I'm on to play, let alone queues that require 10 or more (CCA not included). The action on the exchange is less. Established fleets are empty. Smaller fleet have come to a standstill. That's problematic.

Analogy: You can't have 1 successful store in an empty mall - people will generally go where theres more stores. And the mall will ultimately close.

This is an MMO, or at least it's supposed to be.
  • jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    warpangel wrote: »

The casual players, who took their time with the r&d system, have been hitting level 15 recently and they would like to actually use the system that we spent the last several months leveling. They can't do it as effectively as they want to without the purple mats that are locked behind the elite queues. Also most of them don't have the EC to buy them off of the exchange, at least not in the numbers that are needed for equipment upgrades.
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread