test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Only a few more sectors to go!

commodoreobviouscommodoreobvious Member Posts: 114 Arc User
I love the new galaxy map, especially this part: http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/sto.gamepedia.com/e/e6/STO_milky_way.png

So each quadrant has 81 sector blocks (9x9), so 324 blocks total, each with 4 sectors, so that's a total of 1296 sector in the galaxy (not counting the galactic core, but Star Trek V sucked, so who wants to go there)

We currently have 51 sectors spread over 17 blocks of 3-4 sectors, so there's only 1245 sectors (about 315 blocks) to go! Let's get on that Devs!

In seriousness, it's actually kind of impressive the expanse of the galaxy this game covers, and also the expansiveness of the galaxy itself in comparison.
Post edited by commodoreobvious on

Comments

• Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I agree! Tons of room for exploration and expansion for years to come!

(Insert obligatory, "i wish the devs would fix the bugs" comment)

I love Trek, and hope to see years of more content...

:)
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Am I weird for being excited about a video of a map?

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    pigeonofclaypigeonofclay Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited November 2014
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    No... Not for something like this. Every single one of those stars with a line connecting it to the grid is a star system that can be warped to. Procedurally generated, as I understand it and persistently defined on the game's server.

The game in question is about to launch in December, as a space flight game only. But its developers have far reaching plans to add things like being able to land on planets and explore the surface, and wander around the interior of one's larger ships and of space stations you dock at.

This game is what it is thanks to crowdsource funding.

In the words (slightly modified) of Q:

"The hall is rented, the orchestra engaged... Now it's time to see if they can dance..."

If they pull off what they have planed, then Cryptic/PWE has no excuse whatsoever.

However, procedurally generated content is a ways off before giving the complexity that standard STO missions require. It would be great for patrol missions and some exploration missions in STO, but that is it. If a procedurally generated mission could create Surface Tension, then I would be impressed.

True exploration in STO requires a combination of exploration-oriented Foundry missions, procedurally generated missions, and dev created missions. The dev created missions could be small enough that they can create 10 of these missions in the time it takes to do a standard mission.
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Hate to break it to you, but that map is not to scale, so your maths is a bit off.

The Alpha/Beta sectors are all 20 light years across (so you have massively overestimated these), and by the looks of things the "north" Delta Quadrant sectors works out to be about 5000 light years, and the "south" Delta Quadrant sectors about 10000 light years each (considerable underestimation here)

So all in all, we've got roughly 4.77% of the galaxy covered altogether, as opposed to your figure which would be 3.94%. Just remember these blocks aren't to scale though, or indeed all the same size, so in theory somewhere like the Gamma Quadrant could be taken out in one sector if they really felt like it.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ashrod63 wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you, but that map is not to scale, so your maths is a bit off.

The Alpha/Beta sectors are all 20 light years across (so you have massively overestimated these), and by the looks of things the "north" Delta Quadrant sectors works out to be about 5000 light years, and the "south" Delta Quadrant sectors about 10000 light years each (considerable underestimation here)

So all in all, we've got roughly 4.77% of the galaxy covered altogether, as opposed to your figure which would be 3.94%. Just remember these blocks aren't to scale though, or indeed all the same size, so in theory somewhere like the Gamma Quadrant could be taken out in one sector if they really felt like it.

+ it's bascially all in 2D ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited November 2014

That's normal for Elite, they have always given you a huge galaxy to explore.