test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Black screen on character screen

A lot of times i run STO, i get a black screen after the DR loading screen. I hear the music and the mouse over sound of STO, but i only see a black screen.

Windows show an error message at task bar, that the video card driver caused an error and has to be restarted.

My system configuration:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2,5 GHz, 6 GB RAM
NVIDIA 9600 M GT, Driver 9.18.13.4052 (2014-07-02)

Play STO in fullscreen windowed mode.

I allready have reinstalled the card driver.

After using safe mode it works again and i can set my preferences high again. But then game is broken again. Sometimes after a relaunch it works again.

This problem is related to the release of Delta Rising.

It doesnt happen in other games i play.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by darthpetersen on

Comments

• Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Darth Peterson,

I was just looking in this subforum to see if anyone has posted ways to increase visual performance when I saw your post. I'm no expert, but I do know there is something you could try.

1. Use the Star Trek Online "official" game launcher. It might be on your taskbar or desktop as the Star Trek Delta Icon. It's the black delta with the blue glow around it. It is the original game launcher that we all used before Arc was thrust upon us. I'm not sure how it would work with Steam.

2. Once you have the launcher window open, look at the top of it there are a few links there: News | Forums | Support | Options | Release Notes

3. Click on the Options link.

4. Scroll down in the Options window till you see Game as a heading on the last section.

5. Put a check in Fullscreen and Safe Mode.

6. Click "Save". Login back on the Game Launcher and click Engage.

Hopefully the game will now start for you without the black screen. At this point I would suggest you go into the Settings screen for the game and turn all the graphics options to their lowest values. Once you do that, close the game and restart it, but not in safe mode and see if the problem is fixed. Now what you would want to do is keep going back and forth with the settings screen, turning up the sliders and settings on ONE setting at a time until you get the game looking as best as you can make it without getting the black screen. You should be able to narrow down what or which setting is giving you the trouble, and then possibly doing a STO forum search or Google search on that setting, and how your video card deals with that setting. The setting could be Anti Aliasing, for example: Google search something like "Star Trek Online, Nvidia graphics card, anti alias causes black screen on startup" that is just an example for you to try.

Sidenote: Please don't be offended if you feel like I'm talking down to you. I only include some of the basic details in my description to in order to make sure you're able to understand what I'm talking about as I have no idea of your level of understanding as we are not acquainted with each other at this moment. I'm only trying to help! ::big-grin::

IMGUR Links to Launcher Examples One and Two:

http://imgur.com/CgStivl

http://imgur.com/Bz8l6Ub
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    This happened to me a lot when I first started playing. It meant that my graphic card driver had crashed. I had to play the game in safe mode not to get the black screen.

Now that I'm on a decent computer set up to play games like this I get no more video crashes. I hope you get your problem fixed, the suggestions in thetanine's post sound like a pretty good way to narrow down what's causing your video to crash.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D