test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

NetWork issues Affecting Gameplay...

truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
Okay, I am not tech, but I have a good understanding about network functionality.

As it stands...STO servers are fine.

Yes, I said fine. *and that depends on your perception*

But to what been going for the last several days, is the gateways servers between your connection to the many, many and many gateways providers that let you connect to STO.

Somewhere on the east coast, central and mountain and maybe west zones, there are a couple of gateways connections that are OFFLINE and has impacted two way traffic very badly.

STO techs and us are at the mercy on when a great disruption occurs like that. They can't do anything but check their connections and machines and the same goes to us as well.

And no, you don't need to reinstall the game, if you facing this issue.

The network has a broken link, and as I finish typing...it seems to have stabilize now. But I have Ping Plotter showing me still, that 2 GWs are still offline.

Wherever these GWs are, pray that someone has got the message and starting repairs right away.

So that is the short of the story.

Network is the culprit, not STO, not this day...or the days before that.

Peace.
52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Meh. Shouldn't come to all this. Stable servers and hardware upgrades and whatnot would prevent all of this from being necessary. I really can't pretend to be impressed.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Man, nothing is perfect.:D
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • bacardio787bacardio787 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    meh. Shouldn't Come To All This. Stable Servers And Hardware Upgrades And Whatnot Would Prevent All Of This From Being Necessary. I Really Can't Pretend To Be Impressed.

............................................________
    ....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
    .............................,.-"..................................."-.,
    .........................,/...............................................":,
    .....................,?......................................................,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:"........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
    ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
    ...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
    ............/.`~,......`-...................................../
    .............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,__......`,.................................
    ...................`=~-,,.,...............................
    ................................`:,,...........................`..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_..........._,-%.......`
    edited November 2014
    Picard facepalm? Hey, even without the current cyber hack attack, STO has a long history of stability issues. And they don't all stem from servers (which still need an upgrade). Simple patches have been known to cause catastrophic issues. So....yeah. Corrective action such as this would be considered overkill for any other game.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • ecotec1983ecotec1983 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Please don't flame me, but i must honestly wonder how you know so much about the state of STO's servers. Several of your post indicate they are out of date, need replacing, wont spend money on them etc... Just curious were your getting that information from? Is it common for mmo's to release data like that to the public.
    edited November 2014
    This is an old, OLD complaint with this game. It was actually discussed at one point on the original board in detail. Anyhow, we have never been given any indication that they've done any significant upgrading. The best example was when LoR was released. There was lag and disconnects all over the place for the first weeks. And flashback to the game's release--the game itself SHUT DOWN from the amount of people subbing on day 1. They didn't have the capacity for the flood that they assumed they did. This same lack of foresight has been passed down with every patch/expansion/addition, whatever. It seems that if they did any upgrading, or even s significant hardware update, these issues wouldn't be so consistent or recurring. You've seen it every time we've had a new FE or when they added the Voth battlezone. I just don't see any improvement in the overall performance of this game, so my conclusion is that they're done the absolute bare minimum to keep the game running without *actually* investing in it (so to speak).
  • ecotec1983ecotec1983 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for the info was just curious. I only started playing around LOR for a few weeks until recently. Did not know this has been an ongoing issue right from the start.
  • forcemajeureforcemajeure Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Then it's kinda strange that I can play The Secret World or MechWarrior Online or World of Tanks at the moment with no interruptions or outages.

(Which is what I have been doing for the past 7 hours since STO is pretty much unplayable)

It's kinda strange that STO has these issues every couple weeks.

It's kinda strange that when I do traceroutes and packet drop tests that *usually* (not always) the gateways that have the worst times/packet drops are the Cogent Boston (and sometimes Atlanta) servers.

But yeah, guess you must be right. It's just a general internet connectivity issue that somehow only affects Cryptic/PWE game servers.

(EDIT: And while it's anecdotal, and not something I can traceroute, I do notice that connection issues are worst at STO whenever there is 'something interesting' going on. Which would tend to indicate they are allocating the bare minimum resources to handle their 'normal' user load and things get wonky whenever there is a spike.)