Random my .. ^%$

duketbarduketbar Member Posts: 178 Arc User
Path to 2409

Given 8 toons.
Playing since game started.
Do Academy Path everyday.
Lifer, Delta Pk owner.

Have NEVER been dropped 8-8.

360x8=2880 If you only take one year's worth.

Drop is 'random' you say? BS...

Every toon I have has ALL the 2409's except 8-8 .. now what are the odds of that? Its not random or I would have got it at least ONCE out of some 5000 try's.

Check the price on the exchange for 8-8, so some people do get it.

Yo say just go to the exchange and buy it? I did for my main toon, but I like to play it on my own and not 'buy' my accomplishments. Pure frustration drove me to buy ONE 8-8, and even to this day.. its still not dropped on any toon I have.
Tides of War Fleet Staff contacts:
@duketbar (Fleet Officer)
Tides of War Website
Team Speak: ts.tidesofwar.net - no port, no pass (or simply type ToW in address bar of TS client)
Post edited by duketbar on

Comments

• Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Sounds like you need to sacrifice another virgin to the RNG gods...
  • Options
    pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Sounds like you need to sacrifice another virgin to the RNG gods...

The RNG Gods don't take Virgins any more. Its paper or plastic only. No personal checks.
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Did you know some people play the lottery for years and never get a grand prize, others win it by playing just once or a few?

Random just means that there isn't a specific pattern or a clear way you can determine and event, series of events, etc...
    Odds are another thing.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    you can buy them on the exchange.... last I checked they were cheap.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Okay I'll admit this, I don't get the shorthand for this post.

What the heck is the OP talking about?
  • Options
    dracarus2013dracarus2013 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The RNG Gods don't take Virgins any more. Its paper or plastic only. No personal checks.

~Shakes my head~ What ever happened to the "good ole days" when it used to be TRIBBLE, gas or grass?
    Raith Va'lek(Federation Human, Tactical) -- U.S.S. Thalindor
    Krayat(Klingon Alien, Tactical) -- I.K.S. Sa'Tan
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    duketbar wrote: »
    Path to 2409

Given 8 toons.
    Lifer, Delta Pk owner.

Every toon I have has ALL the 2409's except 8-8 .. now what are the odds of that? Its not random or I would have got it at least ONCE out of some 5000 try's.

Yo say just go to the exchange and buy it? I did for my main toon, but I like to play it on my own and not 'buy' my accomplishments. Pure frustration drove me to buy ONE 8-8, and even to this day.. its still not dropped on any toon I have.

Nothing is really random in a digital game. But there is usually a good simulation of random running :o
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Have they actually said it's random? Certain datachips definitely seem to be more common than others.
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I managed to get it once, but only once. Your best option is the Exchange.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    emp0kn0remp0kn0r Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I have the same issue, only with 2-5

I can only assume this is stupidly rare as I've never seen one on the exchange either
    "Kill the Cardassians"
    "Which ones?"
    "All of them!"
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Did you know some people play the lottery for years and never get a grand prize, others win it by playing just once or a few?

Random just means that there isn't a specific pattern or a clear way you can determine and event, series of events, etc...
    Odds are another thing.

well put, when something is random the odds don't get better the more you play if the odds of getting 8,8 are a million to one the first time you visit the academy the odds will still be a million to one the millionth time you visit the academy.
    you could do it a million times and still not get 8,8 or you could do it 100 times and get 8,8 every time.
    it just depends wheather the odds are in your favour or not.
    8,8 obviously does crop up from time to time as they can be bought on the exchange so these players must have been lucky and got this very rare reward.

the best you can do is either just keep going and hope that 8,8 will eventually come to you or wait until there is one for sale at a fairly low price say 2mil.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    dinkydr2dinkydr2 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Must be Leet-speak, and I am not that Leet yet. It sounds like maybe a combination of Leet and Binar...
    "We seee many thingss, We seee new machiness on IX,
    We seee a problemm withh House Atreideesss, We Seee a Problem withh Housse Harkonnenn"

Thank you, Frank Herbert!
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    emp0kn0r wrote: »

I can only assume this is stupidly rare as I've never seen one on the exchange either

2-5 is another story. I got one when all of my characters were done and posted it to the exchange, hoping to make some money, since I never saw it on there. After a day, I decided to check, and it simply doesn't show up when you type it in for a search.

I have gotten at least 10 8-8s over the years. I bought 3 for sure, and maybe a 4th, I don't recall exactly how I got it on my 1st character over 2 years ago, but definitely got it as a drop to use on 8 of 12 characters, and 2 to sell after all were done.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I'll mail you my extras. What's your @?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ~Shakes my head~ What ever happened to the "good ole days" when it used to be TRIBBLE, gas or grass?

I believe it went "cash, gas, or TRIBBLE" but my memory could be faulty. :P
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    tecbulltecbull Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Don't feel too bad, Last Days of the Dewans took 614 days. The number 3 slab took forever. I think I saved every scientist on New Romulus and killed every Tholian in the assembly.
    Oil, because Matter-Antimatter reactors haven't been invented yet... Please Hurry!
  • Options
    robin74robin74 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Who says it's random?
    Check the exchange prices. Some chips sell for 10EC, some sell for hundreds of thousands. That reflects different odds of getting them. Chapter 7 and 8 certainly seem like rarer ones. It's definitely not a uniform distribution and I have never seen anyone claim it is.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I hate to ask this cuz I'll probably feel like an idiot for deleting those chips all this time but here goes. What's so great about getting a complete set?
    You get an accolade. You might get a title once your collection is complete.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    hipachilleshipachilles Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    you can buy them on the exchange.... last I checked they were cheap.

Some are, others are hundreds of thousands of dollars each. For some, there are hundreds listed. For others, there are only a handful.

Either the RNG is not playing a fair game, or people are intentionally manipulating the Exchange market.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

@Duke_Tbar
    Tides of War Website
    Team Speak: ts.tidesofwar.net - no port, no pass (or simply type ToW in address bar of TS client)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Some are, others are hundreds of thousands of dollars each. For some, there are hundreds listed. For others, there are only a handful.

Either the RNG is not playing a fair game, or people are intentionally manipulating the Exchange market.

I didn't want to start this thread off as a conspiracy thread .... but, you hit the nail on the head.

RPG is not playing fair... the market is being manipulated by insiders (programmers, staff to game player friends for kickbacks and pay off's)

My Legals will be contacting you. STO, you have until next update to FIX my RPG punk or it will be "Class Action" time.
    Tides of War Website
  • Options
    emp0kn0remp0kn0r Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2014

That's very kind - is it safe to post that here or am I leaving myself wide open?? :)
    "Kill the Cardassians"
    "Which ones?"
    "All of them!"
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Ditto. I sense that the thread is about a group of DOff's, but I have no idea what mission the OP is talking about, or why anyone would care... :confused:
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    That's very kind - is it safe to post that here or am I leaving myself wide open?? :)
    Pm or send a game mail to @marhawkman.... I still have a few left that I didn't give to duke. (I did a redundancy check before mailing them) that and I only mailed what that character had access to.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    narrheehawnarrheehaw Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Say whaa?

/10car

*Yellow

:D
    This, is the goal, of narrheehaw
    It's mission, to destroy new worlds and civilizations
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And to boldly ruin, what no one has ruined before.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    it's random but the odds are stacked in that certain datachips comes up more than others.

so yes it IS random... but no, the odds are NOT the same.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Path to 2409

Given 8 toons.
    Lifer, Delta Pk owner.

With a randomly generated result there is never a guarantee of getting a particular result no matter how many times you repeat it. There is always the same chance of getting it.
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ladymyajha wrote: »

I'm sorry, I replied to the thread and didn't clarify what the OP was talking about, leaving you and at least one other person in the dark. He's referring to Path to 2409 datachips which you can get every 20 hours at either Academy. 8-8 is shorthand for Volume 8, Chapter 8, which is a rare drop among them. There are something like 165 of them, each one is a chapter in the Path to 2409 lore story, and the all belong to a specific volume, which represents 1 of the 29 years that passed between Star Trek: Nemesis and the beginning of the game. Each chapter chip gives an accolade that tells you the story of that chapter, each volume also gives an accolade, and then one more accolade for finishing the whole set.
    I hate to ask this cuz I'll probably feel like an idiot for deleting those chips all this time but here goes. What's so great about getting a complete set?
    You get an accolade. You might get a title once your collection is complete.

Aside from the accolades that markhawkman mentioned, it makes it a tad easier to do the Lore Quiz quest, since you don't have to open an external browser window to go to STO Wiki to get the answers.

Sadly, there's no title for the accolade for the whole set, or my characters would probably be walking around with it. If they decide to add one, I would suggest Loremaster, Voracious Reader or Historian.

On a side note, I got another 8-8 today, and I know I'm not a Dev, nor am I a friend of any Devs. It's really just luck.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Computers cannot create truly random numbers. That's why its actually a PRNG: pseudo-random number generator.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png