test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Heals: Field Surgery & Held Together

dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
After seeing what feels like the billionth example of a player who enters an elite grade mission with piles and piles of injuries - both direct observations and player reports - it hit me that we could use a couple of new powers. Both powers are designed to do one thing and one thing only, removing injuries from players - it might be OP to have it affect the user, so having it as a "use on others only" power would be acceptable.

The Ground version - Field Surgery - would be given to Science Officers as a "medic" entry.
The Space version - Held Together (with duct tape and bailing wire) - would be for Engineers.

Whether these powers are given as a clicky-trait, Commander level ability, or replace a captain's power; the cooldown; and amount of injuries repaired per application are numbers that can be discussed, the obvious (clicky-trait that heals all on a 3 minute cooldown) might be OP, so I'll leave the balance determinations to the community and Devs.

Thoughts?
Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Personally I think the system should block someone from queuing with yellow or greater injuries. It would be cool to have a power for the engineer to repair ship injuries.
  • bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    I love the concept of those powers. I'd go further to suggest that they be added into new Specialization trees -- we're supposed to get more at some point. I'm sure the devs can come up with something clever with the concept.

You could even break it down into tiers:
    • First Aid - clears minor injuries
    • Triage - clears major injuries
    • Field Surgery - clears critical injuries

And something similiar for ships.
  • guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    rmy1081 wrote: »
    Personally I think the system should block someone from queuing with yellow or greater injuries. It would be cool to have a power for the engineer to repair ship injuries.

I'd just get away with the entire dmg system entirely, it's useless waste of time and inventory space.

But since inventory space is something you can buy with zen, it's never going to happen. So I'm going to follow your suggestion and would love to see any player blocked from entering stf's if they have an injury on their captain or damage on their ship.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • heckgoblinheckgoblin Member Posts: 685
    edited October 2014
    Remove the idiotic injury system altogether.
    I AM WAR.
  • snowpig74snowpig74 Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    How about something like this:

"Send to Medbay": The injured player is removed/beamed out of the instance (add 1 hour leaver penalty here) and transported to the medbay on ESD/Qo'Nos where he can heal his injuries (add here annoying pop-ups which describe how to do that). The Player who used the skill and his party members receive some experience points as compensation (50exp * <number of wounds>)

Add "Send back for repairs" as Eng Skill for spaceships (->Shipyard) and add
    "Send back for re-armament" as Tac skill for spaceships with weapons of tier < (level/5) (-> Shipyard equipement vendor)
  • cheesebasketcheesebasket Member Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I wonder how many Injuries it would take to do absolutely no damage whatsoever...
    The hamster will RULE ALLL....

Mwahahahahahahaha
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Quickie responses:

To removing system altogether - this is the closest thing to a "death penalty" STO has, if players want to stack penalties on themselves during solo runs, who cares. However, as soon as that 10% DPS hyper-injured player shows up and "trolls / gimpes" the ability to complete an advanced or elite STF, well, that suddenly becomes a teamwide problem that could use an alternate fix besides removal...

To the one who says 3 levels to handle 3 grades of injury - perhaps, but that might mitigate the use of said powers - I'm not sure too many people are going to stack "remove minor" and "remove major", since most heavy-duty penalties are "critical" grade, this would be the only version slotted in a case such as this...

And to the one who says "specialization tree it", that makes the abilities available to everyone, as long as STO retains vestiges of a class-based system, slotting powers into classes gives us reasons to roll / use / desire those characters. I'm not opposed to spec treeing it, but I'm leading with "we have classes, let's use them" instead of homogenizing yet another mechanic...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • cecil08cecil08 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I love the injury system. I like having a death penalty. I with I got injuries more often, in fact. Somethings, I can die a million times and get nothing and something I get a critical every time I die. I wish it was more consistent :)

Anyway I love this idea. Maybe to avoid making the power OP, you could have it just temporarily remove injuries. The way you described the names of the powers made me think of that. "Held together" is just to get your ship through the current mission. Field surgery just keeps you alive until you get to sick bay.

Just thinking out loud here. Overall, I do like this idea a lot though.