test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STFs, rep items, and the average player

generalklanggeneralklang Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Reputation System
The Devs may not realize this, but it is currently easier for an average player to get mk14 gold gear than rep gear.

That sounds absurd, right?

Think it through.

Everyone can get Mk XIV *eventually*... even if all they do is run "tour the galaxy and do doff missions

Not so with rep gear, which requires little gears and cogs (Borg neural processors, voth cybernetic implants, undine gizmos, delta whatzits) to obtain...gears and cogs that are hiding behind an elite (now relabeled " advanced"..with smaller rewards, and greater difficulty).

It should be noted that the overwhelming majority of people playing STFs are there for the marks, and gears and cogs to turn in for dilithium, not for rep gear.

Rep gear is basic content, not elite raid quality loot. With the exception of lockbox gear perhaps, this game has no raid quality loot...

And yet there the rep gear sits, behind the STF wall, which just got harder to breach.

The grind is no issue...look at romulan rep, for instance. Overall the time and difficulty match the reward...and yet all other rep gear requires gears and cogs available in no other way.

While this is not the only reason, it is a very valid reason why jacking up the elite (advanced) difficulty hurts newer and casual players.

Elites won't care how hard the gear is to get, as they already have it.

Increasing the difficulty of the missions which are *required* for most rep gear only serves to create frustration...not fun.

I doubt the elites *care* who has rep gear. They were complaining about difficulty in the hopes of getting both greater risk *and* reward...which didn't exactly happen either.

People are now complaining about the quality of PUG groups in the "advanced" queues, without realizing, apparently, that this is the only way that those items for rep gear can be obtained. If average players had another avenue, they'd take it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Wait a second...are you fricking kidding me? neurals and stuff only drop from elite now? with a small chance to drop from normal? So let me see if i have this right...

1) assuming the 5 players arent idiots, what kind of ships and gear is needed to complete an Elite? level 60 only? T5U/T6 mandatory? XIV gear? what quality XIV? rare/VR/UR or gold? and i'm not talking about the best of the best gear. I mean what is the minimum gear/ship/rarity required to just be able to complete the Elites.

2) and one of the rewards for completing the Elite is Neural Processors (and similar items for other queues).

3) those Neurals buy XII very rare set pieces from rep

4) now look back at #3 and #1 which is exactly what i'm doing...
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Prior Reps, their widgets, and where to find them
    • 8472 Counter Command: Isomorphic Injection
      • Primary Source: Undine Space Battlezone
      • Secondary Sources: Rare drop from Rep Crates, Advanced or higher Undine queues
    • Dyson Joint Command: Voth Cybernetic Implant
      • Primary Source: Voth Ground Battlezone
      • Secondary Sources: Rare drop from Rep Crates, Advanced or higher Voth queues
    • New Romulus: none
    • Nukara Strikeforce: none
    • Omega Task Force: Borg Neural Processor
      • Primary Source: Rare drop from Rep Crate
      • Secondary Sources: Advanced or higher Borg queues

The reason I listed the drop from the Rep Crate as the primary source for BNP's is simple: you can still handle the Red Alerts in Sector Space or the Borg on Defera to grab that Daily Bonus needed to level Omega Rep... and that gives you Rep Crates. You can bypass the queues entirely until you've built up a bit without losing out on any rewards... the current game rewards are nowhere near being worth the effort of running the queues. You can also ignore Omega Rep entirely, and gear up using equipment from the other Reputations.

Think of the queues as something to do with your Friends or Fleet folks, for a sense of accomplishment, or do Normal to go "Wheeee!" around the map, but if you're trying to get gear or dilithium they are simply not worth the trouble unless you really want Crafting Materials.

That might change as things get adjusted, but for now there are alternatives for you to continue progressing.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yah but how long will it take to get the items?

Omega needs 9-15 of them for a deflector+engine+shield combo. But you can also factor in that it takes time to grind out rep to be able to buy deflectors, engines and shields since they dont unlock until tier 2-3-5. Other reps use even more like Dyson has consoles and warp/sing cores that use up implants. I think a full Dyson space set costs 26 voth implants. And i havent even gotten into the items needed for ground gear...

It just doesnt make sense that the items needed to get the XII gear is most abundant in the instances that require better than XII gear to be able to do. Thought it doesnt surprise me given Cryptics way of doing sideways progression instead if vertical progression. Except this isnt sideways progression...its more like sideways, while upside down, inside out, crawling on your belly while stuck to the ceiling kind of sideways.

Luckily i dont think i have any toons that need to be geared up from scratch with these post DR changes so i wont know how bad (or good) the availability of neurals/implants is going to be in non elite content.
  • leethorogoodleethorogood Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I couldn't help but notice when I looked at the Infected queues yesterday that the number playing Normal was starting to equal or overtake Advanced! I've temporarily dropped down to playing Normal for the time being as I would rather get the rewards from Normal then only 10 Omega marks from a failed Advanced! :rolleyes:

I've got a level 47 character I am currently levelling up to 50 and beyond, I'm not looking forward to scraping around to gather enough BNPs for the Assimilated 2-Piece set + MACO Resilient Shields! Not to mention ground gear for the character and BOffs! :(
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Easy 10-12k DPS build.

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=mirrorassaultcruisera2bstarterbuild_5422

Almost all of it is mission rewards or doff rewards, and it will work on any Cruiser of any faction, just adjust Boff seating and consoles. You don't need Rep gear, you don't need a T6, you don't need a T5-U, they just make it easier.

All you need is the ability to fly right, the knowledge to know what to do, and a willingness to improve and ask questions.
  • generalklanggeneralklang Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
      • Secondary Sources: Rare drop from Rep Crates, Advanced or higher Undine queues
      • Secondary Sources: Advanced or higher Undine queues

The reason I listed the drop from the Rep Crate as the primary source for BNP's is simple: you can still handle the Red Alerts in Sector Space or the Borg on Defera to grab that Daily Bonus needed to level Omega Rep... and that gives you Rep Crates. You can bypass the queues entirely until you've built up a bit without losing out on any rewards... the current game rewards are nowhere near being worth the effort of running the queues. You can also ignore Omega Rep entirely, and gear up using equipment from the other Reputations.

Think of the queues as something to do with your Friends or Fleet folks, for a sense of accomplishment, or do Normal to go "Wheeee!" around the map, but if you're trying to get gear or dilithium they are simply not worth the trouble unless you really want Crafting Materials.

That might change as things get adjusted, but for now there are alternatives for you to continue progressing.

Those rep crates drop one in a thousand.

3 toons max rep, BNPs obtained through boxes: 1
    edited October 2014
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    Easy 10-12k DPS build.

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=mirrorassaultcruisera2bstarterbuild_5422

Almost all of it is mission rewards or doff rewards, and it will work on any Cruiser of any faction, just adjust Boff seating and consoles. You don't need Rep gear, you don't need a T6, you don't need a T5-U, they just make it easier.

All you need is the ability to fly right, the knowledge to know what to do, and a willingness to improve and ask questions.

Wtf kind of post is this? Troll much?

Who are you to tell me that I don't need, rep gear?

This kind of elitest thinking is what landed us in this mess in the first place.

The reputations, and their gear, are the *majority* of current content.

It should be a grind, just like rep advancement, but should be obtainable by anyone, skill notwithstanding. There are no excuses which can cover such an attitude.

This reminds me of the "I have a sandwich so you can't be hungry" argument.

*need* is irrelevant in this context.
    edited October 2014
    Those rep crates drop one in a thousand.

3 toons max rep, BNPs obtained through boxes: 1

Fair enough. My own experience has better results as far as getting BNP's, but if it's tied to a RNG it's going to vary among different folks. That's why I suggested avoiding Omega Rep entirely as an alternative, though you might give Ground ASTFs a shot... there's a lot less gear involved in setting up Ground equipment than Space, and at much lower cost.

I'm just suggesting alternatives until the hitpoints get adjusted. As of now the queues are much quieter than they should be, though this could be due to folks wandering through the Delta content... once more folks clear that we'll see if they come back to the queues, do something else, or wander off until more playable content is introduced.

The rewards aren't worth bothering with the queues anymore anyway, except for those that really want Omega Rep gear that requires BNPs.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • gerudongerudon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The Advanced versions seem to be somewhat of a failure.

They probably shouldn't have touched the old elite versions much. Just increase the heath and damage slightly and it would have been okay. Then call it advanced and add a higher Elite mode for good groups.

Now one Borg STF is gone entirely and the other one is hardly played at all anymore. The only advanced modes that are played by a larger amount of people seem to be CE and Infected Space.

So instead of getting a larger variety of STF to play, we in fact have only ONE former elite now advanced STF left and that seems to fail rather often from my experience, putting you on an utter pointless 1h cd.

By now I wish they would bring the old elite STFs back. Yes, they were kinda boring, but at least you could reliably do them, get your TRIBBLE and be done with it. Now you have to hope for a reasonable group and if that fails, you don't get any BNPs at all.

How are new players even supposed to get BNPs? Are they supposed to do the Advanced versions, without having any rep gear at all? Are they supposed to get all the other reps first, so they are well enough equiped for the advanced mode? It doesn't make any sense.
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    gerudon wrote: »
    How are new players even supposed to get BNPs? Are they supposed to do the Advanced versions, without having any rep gear at all? Are they supposed to get all the other reps first, so they are well enough equiped for the advanced mode? It doesn't make any sense.

Pretty much this.

Yes, it doesn't make any sense either.

Also - this is how the Delta Rising Mark things work too.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It is my sense that mission gear such as Solonae, Breen, and Jem Ha'dar, orrep geat that's Romulan, Nukara, and Counter Command... perhaps Dyson for someone who really loves ground combat, will be what's attainable for new people. Omega Rep and Delta gear are in doubt at the moment.

Though there are areas of the game that was available for a lot of people, it is my sense that unless you're an elite player, a portion of STO will now be shut off. This is not unusual in an MMO. There was a time that was the case for the MACO, Omega, & Borg gear when STFs were ground and space combined. Perhaps things will be open again at a later date. That's Impermanence for you!
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    Easy 10-12k DPS build.

Thanks for this build !
    I have a few engineer captains who will benefit from this!

My primary is a science tho, who flies science ships. I'd love a build for him if you have one.
    Particularly one that utilizes the fancy new T6 science ships I just bought.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• gerudongerudon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    rickpaaa wrote: »
    It is my sense that mission gear such as Solonae, Breen, and Jem Ha'dar, orrep geat that's Romulan, Nukara, and Counter Command... perhaps Dyson for someone who really loves ground combat, will be what's attainable for new people. Omega Rep and Delta gear are in doubt at the moment.

Though there are areas of the game that was available for a lot of people, it is my sense that unless you're an elite player, a portion of STO will now be shut off. This is not unusual in an MMO. There was a time that was the case for the MACO, Omega, & Borg gear when STFs were ground and space combined. Perhaps things will be open again at a later date. That's Impermanence for you!

The whole rep system is a mess in my opinion. It is shortsighted and fundamentally flawed. It may look like a pretty ingenious system on Cryptics part at first. It keeps the players playing, even though it doesn't make much fun and Cryptic can easily add stuff to it in regular intervals, to keep the treadmill running.

BUT the system is rapidly nearing it's breaking point. It become just too much trouble to do the reps if you are a new player or even just with a sponsored toon. How long do you have to play now, to max reputations with a new character and to get enough resources to get all the equipment you need? In addition you have to spend enough with your fleet to get the consoles etc. from there as well.

AND now you also have the upgrade system. While this looks like there is "a lot" to do, none of it is any fun. Everything is a grind that forces you to play the same battle zones and STFs over and over and over again. So people will stop creating new characters or advancing older ones. That also means, that they will stop spending money on them. They will get one or two ships for one character and settle with them, because everything else is too much work.

And cutting of content in an MMO that hardly has any high level content anyway, just doesn't work. At least the advanced versions need to be accessible and doable for almost everyone.
  • lhoygowlhoygow Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    rickpaaa wrote: »
    ...There was a time that was the case for the MACO, Omega, & Borg gear when STFs were ground and space combined. Perhaps things will be open again at a later date. That's Impermanence for you!

Actually not exactly true. The Borg space set was easily attainable just doing the normal versions of the STF's, as were MK X MACO/Omega/KHG sets...and MK XI. It was only the MK XII that required you to do elite and get lucky with the RNG to get what you needed.

Wish they would put the MK X/XI sets in the Omega store so that you at least can get some decent stuff without the need for BNPs and a motherload of dilithium (for space anyway).
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited October 2014
      • Secondary Sources: Advanced or higher Borg queues

I think they got the BNP stuff backwards- I got ONE bnp from a rep crate, 196 came from elite STF's prior to DR. I'm doing normals now while I wait for the upgrade system to allow me to upgrade a certain weapon that used to own elites @ mk11.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Uh... why are you using Plasma Tac consoles with AP Beams??

ROFL
    Welcome to his 'noob' ignore list.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
    edited October 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    I think they got the BNP stuff backwards- I got ONE bnp from a rep crate, 196 came from elite STF's prior to DR. I'm doing normals now while I wait for the upgrade system to allow me to upgrade a certain weapon that used to own elites @ mk11.

Oh, the majority of my BNPs came from doing (old) ESTFs; the only reason I listed the Rep Crates as the primary source was because I was ordering based on a new character. Our older characters should be capable of doing Advanced queues, especially once the adjustment goes through on Thursday... but a new character trying to get the gear you actually need BNPs for simply won't do as well. That is a problem with Omega Rep in particular, since the Rep itself is easy enough to cycle via Defera/Red Alerts while the gear you want for the Advanced queues isn't readily available without doing the Advanced queues you want the gear for.

For now, let's just see how playable Thursday's adjustment makes the Advanced queues. If it allows you to:
    play the Normal queues to learn the mission,
    then Advanced queues to gear up,
    to meet the challenge of Elite queues,
    then the whole issue is resolved and we can go back into the queues for our gear. If not, stick with doing everything but Omega Rep first and checking the Rep Crates while you do so... it's slow, but if you can't get through the Advanced queues with what you have it's not worth the wasted effort and aggravation for 10 Omega Marks. Personally, it's barely worth the effort even if you can finish the queues given current rewards, but that's a separate issue from the availability of Rep widgets. :P
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    edited October 2014
    Oh, the majority of my BNPs came from doing (old) ESTFs; the only reason I listed the Rep Crates as the primary source was because I was ordering based on a new character. Our older characters should be capable of doing Advanced queues, especially once the adjustment goes through on Thursday... but a new character trying to get the gear you actually need BNPs for simply won't do as well. That is a problem with Omega Rep in particular, since the Rep itself is easy enough to cycle via Defera/Red Alerts while the gear you want for the Advanced queues isn't readily available without doing the Advanced queues you want the gear for.

For now, let's just see how playable Thursday's adjustment makes the Advanced queues. If it allows you to:
    play the Normal queues to learn the mission,
    then Advanced queues to gear up,
    to meet the challenge of Elite queues,
    then the whole issue is resolved and we can go back into the queues for our gear. If not, stick with doing everything but Omega Rep first and checking the Rep Crates while you do so... it's slow, but if you can't get through the Advanced queues with what you have it's not worth the wasted effort and aggravation for 10 Omega Marks. Personally, it's barely worth the effort even if you can finish the queues given current rewards, but that's a separate issue from the availability of Rep widgets. :P

I'd like to see an alternate means of obtaining BNPs (and other faction gear gears and cogs). I don't mean something that can be farmed mercilessly either. Something like rep project requiring marks with a 48 hour or so timer for the rest of us who are in no hurry, and may not be so adept at this game.

For casuals like myself, there is the "preservation of knowledge" mission for marks on DEFRA, which combined with the daily mark bonus is quite adequate for casuals like myself. Sadly there are no such missions for undine (the dyson daily is fairly easy so no mark shortage there)

Haven't looked at DR yet, but I *know* the gears and cogs will yet again be behind the STFs wall.

I simply propose making them available for all. Slow as hell is fine. I don't mind a time gate, but realistically, its content (reps, *and* rep gear sets can easily be defined as content, as opposed to loot) which not everyone has access to (or at least greatly reduced access)

Sad as it may seem, I paid for this game when it was released, and pay my $15 a month.

If you remove reps and rep gear, a significant portion of endgame content vanishes. This is what's left after the story line.

I just think a one handed man with MS should *eventually* be able to get it. Some of us collect sets as collectors, without the need or desire to actually equip it all (who could anyway?)

We might want to outfit our boffs in sets, who knows? Casuals don't care about time gates, but do want availability
    edited October 2014
    Sadly there are no such missions for undine

Run the Undine Space Battlezone for a few cycles. That actually does award the Isomorphic Injections once you complete a round of Planet Killer killing, and you don't need to be on a higher difficulty to obtain them, which helps keep that Rep gear available. It is a Space map, but if you're set up more for Ground the queues aren't so wonky as far as balance or gawdawful long completion times... give Undine Infiltration (Advanced) a shot.

As far as Delta Rep... so far I've gotten two of the widgets from the Rep Crates, so there's that I suppose. Otherwise, same problem as Omega Rep, but the Kobali missions are stuck with meager rewards at best... that one is less fun that even Omega Rep if you actually want the gear, since there are no Defera-style missions to help with the dilithium and Rep Marks you need to buy it.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    edited October 2014
    Run the Undine Space Battlezone for a few cycles. That actually does award the Isomorphic Injections once you complete a round of Planet Killer killing, and you don't need to be on a higher difficulty to obtain them, which helps keep that Rep gear available. It is a Space map, but if you're set up more for Ground the queues aren't so wonky as far as balance or gawdawful long completion times... give Undine Infiltration (Advanced) a shot.

As far as Delta Rep... so far I've gotten two of the widgets from the Rep Crates, so there's that I suppose. Otherwise, same problem as Omega Rep, but the Kobali missions are stuck with meager rewards at best... that one is less fun that even Omega Rep if you actually want the gear, since there are no Defera-style missions to help with the dilithium and Rep Marks you need to buy it.

The undine battle zone (planetkillers) is doable, and fun hard as it for me to believe. I would call it the upper limit of "casual" content, but it still counts...unlike Delta, Omega, and Dyson...this solution actually isn't TRIBBLE hard for the average schmo. Sadly tthere's little, if anything in the CC rep gear that jumps out and grabs me as must have, but I collect it anyway. I'd like to see a similar solution for the other 3 reps that require gears and cogs for gear. To be fair, there's no reason for elite and advanced to reward BNPs, nor a reason to have an exchange set up for dil for them. This is handled with marks in New Romulus, and Nukra. Odd that they went off on a tangent with other reps.
  • papasezpapasez Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'd like to chime in on my discontent with the earning of gear in the rep system. As it stands, the system is so disjointed and uneven that I'm truly amazed it exists at all in its' current state. I could go on and on about how wonky Omega and now Delta Reps are in terms of earning their associated 'baubles' but it's already been said and said better than I could.

But that's kind of the point - it's been said to death that the Omega Rep is no fun to participate in and definitely leaves behind the casual player. In fact shortly after it was released there was Dev talk about how it needed to be re-visited and yet, the Delta Rep mirrors it's mistakes almost exactly. It's my fear that Cryptic is simply looking at metrics showing the number of people joining queues (ignoring the fact that there simply is no other way to earn these things) and not seeing the problem in it's proper context.
    Increasing the difficulty of the missions which are *required* for most rep gear only serves to create frustration...not fun

That quote above is the whole problem in a nut shell; frustration. Dyson Rep? The Voth Ground BZ is a tonne of fun, is a challenge and rewards appropriately for the time vs. risk vs. reward. Undine Rep, same thing. Maybe not as much fun but a good risk/reward/time investment scenario.

Once you start adding in the inconsistencies across the various Rep stores (why??), the differing costs for hourly/daily projects and it makes the whole system seem amateurish at best and shoddy at the worst. Please, Cryptic, revisit those Reps that are clearly at issue and keep RISK vs. REWARD vs. TIME INVESTMENT at the top of your minds while doing so. Seems a pretty good, basic place to start when designing such a system and it's rewards. Maybe a dollop of consistency while you're at it so that your product appears a little more professional (not trying to be mean here, it is what it is).
  • dalmaciusdalmacius Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The present Advanced are like the previous Elite with slightly weaker NPCs. The new Elite is more difficult than the prevous Elite as I suppose it will be there when many players have reached lvl 60, have all the Ship Traits, and advanced in the Specializations.

But no one has mentioned about the current Ancient Power Cell from the Delta Rep. Now those are rather tough to get as most of the time the Advanced STFs are failures, and you don't get any APCells unless you reach the end of the Mission and finished off the Voth, Undine, and Borg Queen (or 2 of them).

I am about to finish the Delta Reputation but very very short on Ancient Power Cells. I will have to wait for more players to understand the requirements of succeeding in the Borg Disconnected Advanced before I expect to get the above rewards and get myself some Delta Rep gear.

I'm gonna have to do the Bug Hunt without any Delta Rep ground grear to hopefully receive some APCs. However, I have to be ready prepare myself with my defenses before I go into it.
    edited November 2014
    dalmacius wrote: »
    The present Advanced are like the previous Elite with slightly weaker NPCs. The new Elite is more difficult than the prevous Elite as I suppose it will be there when many players have reached lvl 60, have all the Ship Traits, and advanced in the Specializations.

But no one has mentioned about the current Ancient Power Cell from the Delta Rep. Now those are rather tough to get as most of the time the Advanced STFs are failures, and you don't get any APCells unless you reach the end of the Mission and finished off the Voth, Undine, and Borg Queen (or 2 of them).

I am about to finish the Delta Reputation but very very short on Ancient Power Cells. I will have to wait for more players to understand the requirements of succeeding in the Borg Disconnected Advanced before I expect to get the above rewards and get myself some Delta Rep gear.

I'm gonna have to do the Bug Hunt without any Delta Rep ground grear to hopefully receive some APCs. However, I have to be ready prepare myself with my defenses before I go into it.

Not quite. The current advanced is *harder* than the old elite, in several ways.

Mobs are a full level 50

Mob HPs are higher

Previous "optionals" no longer "optional"