test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Spammer of Hell

daciaeternadaciaeterna Member Posts: 219 Arc User
Since a few weeks ago some dudes starting spamming local zone chat on KDF side. The damn msg its written so go past filters i think ( if they are any lol ) and cuz of this is annoying as hell. He gets reported but in max 5 minutes he come with another account. Whatever its a human or a boot behind this its making staying on kdf side annoying.
After hundredths (if not more) of reports are u telling me that u CANT DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS CRYPTIC ? ... its going on for weeks now. If so this spammer its bulletproof and this might get other people ideas ... imagine 10 of there on fed side ...i'd quite the game lol.

If DR is whats keeping u Busy then i hope its worth it and that after the release ( and after u fix the bugs lol ) someone will take care of this.

Ty
Post edited by daciaeterna on

Comments

• Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Since a few weeks ago some dudes starting spamming local zone chat on KDF side. The damn msg its written so go past filters i think ( if they are any lol ) and cuz of this is annoying as hell. He gets reported but in max 5 minutes he come with another account. Whatever its a human or a boot behind this its making staying on kdf side annoying.
    After hundredths (if not more) of reports are u telling me that u CANT DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS CRYPTIC ? ... its going on for weeks now. If so this spammer its bulletproof and this might get other people ideas ... imagine 10 of there on fed side ...i'd quite the game lol.

If DR is whats keeping u Busy then i hope its worth it and that after the release ( and after u fix the bugs lol ) someone will take care of this.

Ty

Um... did you try ignore on him? And what is he saying?
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yeah if you ignore them they are just back in a very short period of time on another account sadly.
    Its basically endless spam about "eC sH1P 5AL3S" etc etc regarding certain unfavourable websites.
    We do get it allot on ESD too, though there it is largely gone from chat very quickly as zone chat there is often busier.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Text in a video game could never bother me.

But you'd assume it could annoy cryptic since obviously those chinese gold farmers are making money off of their work.

Considering they were pitiful enough to go after vendor trash I am gonna go ahead and make a qualified assumption that they did what they could to step the leak
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well, technically Cryptic *could* block his IP address. But he can just mask his address, rendering that moot....

I say turn off general chat and be done with it. Nothing good ever happens there any way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Placing him on ignore will do the trick.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    Um... did you try ignore on him? And what is he saying?

Yes lol i do proud myself in having a minimal intelligence and luckily it the first thing i thought :). And again i did say multiple accounts very 5 minutes ( in not faster) so u missed that or u are the spammer trying to mock me lol.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    Placing him on ignore will do the trick.

... Multiple accounts, staying kdf side means i have to ignore 30 accounts in 1 hour ... and that's after wall text the "local zone", like i said annoying. Only thing good is closing the "Local chat" as one said.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I right click on the name and select "Report Spam" which means you also ignore as well.
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Unfortunately gold spammers are rife in most MMO's, F2P even more so as there is no cost involved in establishing accounts...

There's really not a lot Cryptic could do, without unfairly restricting the access of legitimate new accounts, leaving them in an untenable position...

It really is damn'd if they do (penalise legitimate new customers) and damn'd if they don't (allow spammers to continue)...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    All they need do, is create an auto-ban when those exact words, and spelling are used.

Than after a grace period has expired, it will re-open those account names for possible use again.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    imruined wrote: »
    Unfortunately gold spammers are rife in most MMO's, F2P even more so as there is no cost involved in establishing accounts...

There's really not a lot Cryptic could do, without unfairly restricting the access of legitimate new accounts, leaving them in an untenable position...

It really is damn'd if they do (penalise legitimate new customers) and damn'd if they don't (allow spammers to continue)...

They have experimented a fair bit in neverwinter with anti gold farmer techniques.

Over there auctionhouse purchase/sales s are throttled based on character level, and they even made the biggest ticket farmed sale items (keys) bound to account to try and cut into the farmers. They have been banning exploiters and have greatly impacted the supply of faked dilithium(astrals).

But the spam itself is pretty unstoppable, from zone chat to tells to even friend invites with the website in the character name. Very intrusive.

STO is very lucky to only have to deal with zone selling.
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    During the earlier years of Free2Play, the game was rumored to have in-game advertising.
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yes lol i do proud myself in having a minimal intelligence and luckily it the first thing i thought :). And again i did say multiple accounts very 5 minutes ( in not faster) so u missed that or u are the spammer trying to mock me lol.

Mock you, maybe... spammer no.

All it takes is you to ignore them. Doesn't take long to do each and every one, and it's not like you're missing anything game changing in local anyway.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Cryptic tried that already over a year ago and it was a fiasco because it started banning the wrong people for conversations that had nothing to do RMT advertising.

Besides those automated features are easy to get around using creative typos.

Well, if you look at how the spamming is laid out, it would most likely never be something people would ever use in chat.

So the problem of people getting themselves banned, would be so minimal as to not even be a factor really.

Yes, and it would need adjusting from time to time, based on the reports.

• Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Do what I do the moment I log in I swap to my fleet tab or queue channel tabs and only go to local zone chat when I need (which is almost never). Problem solved ;)
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Well, if you look at how the spamming is laid out, it would most likely never be something people would ever use in chat.

So the problem of people getting themselves banned, would be so minimal as to not even be a factor really.

Yes, and it would need adjusting from time to time, based on the reports.

Champions had such a feature and it was very bad. First, griefers made characters with names that would get you banned if you typed them in chat, and second some of the autobahn words did get used, especially by people playing robots and cyborgs.

I haven't seen any threads about it Ina while, so I dunno if they cleaned the triggers or just turned it off.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Banning accounts should never be left to automation. Cryptic has a long history of auto-banning backfiring on them, because the spammers adapt far quicker to defeat it, and the automation is incapable of using common sense to prevent banning the wrong people.
    Champions had such a feature and it was very bad. First, griefers made characters with names that would get you banned if you typed them in chat, and second some of the autobahn words did get used, especially by people playing robots and cyborgs.

I haven't seen any threads about it Ina while, so I dunno if they cleaned the triggers or just turned it off.

Again, if they set the automation to only respond to the reported messages, and nothing else.

It shouldn't be a problem, the only thing they need do, is update it from time to time, based on new reports.

• Options
    pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Look at is this way: the existance of thes rmt bots can only mean the game is picking up momentum, a couple years ago there just wasnt enough lucrative potential to be worth the time.

Hard to look at it as a positive thing, but it does seem to indicate the game is quite healthy.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Have you tried spamming them back? I know that works on telemarketers...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Again ,if they set the automation to only respond to the reported messages, and nothing else.

It shouldn't be a problem, the only thing they need do, is update it from time to time, based on new reports.

Let's pretend Dave is a banned word. Now tell me if the below is believable as something you might see in chat.

Zone#2: d'a.ve@gavinruneblade: hey, I haven't played in a while, where's the tailor on this new ESD?
    Zone#1: niceguy@abbouttobebanned: Dave, it's straight from the transporter.

Que the snark about unlikely because no one helpful plays.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Ty

i have seen it on the fed side also, i just ignore it so it doesnt bother me, its the best way.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Let's pretend Dave is a banned word. Now tell me if the below is believable as something you might see in chat.

Zone#2: d'a.ve@gavinruneblade: hey, I haven't played in a while, where's the tailor on this new ESD?
    Zone#1: niceguy@abbouttobebanned: Dave, it's straight from the transporter.

Que the snark about unlikely because no one helpful plays.

What are you doing, Dave?

I don't think you should be doing that, Dave.

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half craaaazzzzeeee alllllffffoooorrrr tththeee loooove offff youuuuuuu...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Turn off zone chat. This is a huge problem in Neverwinter, too. They keep coming back even if you ignore them all. There is an army of farmers out there, each with multiple accounts.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    vestereng wrote: »

But you'd assume it could annoy cryptic since obviously those chinese gold farmers are making money off of their work.

Considering they were pitiful enough to go after vendor trash I am gonna go ahead and make a qualified assumption that they did what they could to step the leak

If it keeps the whales playing...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    Mock you, maybe... spammer no.

All it takes is you to ignore them. Doesn't take long to do each and every one, and it's not like you're missing anything game changing in local anyway.

For the love of god YES I DO REPORT SPAM AND IGNORE THEM, i don't need obvious suggestions. If u feel that good explaining the obvious to others try a politician career.
    Mock me if u want but FIRST learn how to read before jumping to give "clever" suggestions.

And get the hell out of my tread troll.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    vestereng wrote: »

since PWE is a chinese company, perhaps the farmers are just another division of PWE
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    They have experimented a fair bit in neverwinter with anti gold farmer techniques.

Over there auctionhouse purchase/sales s are throttled based on character level, and they even made the biggest ticket farmed sale items (keys) bound to account to try and cut into the farmers. They have been banning exploiters and have greatly impacted the supply of faked dilithium(astrals).

But the spam itself is pretty unstoppable, from zone chat to tells to even friend invites with the website in the character name. Very intrusive.

STO is very lucky to only have to deal with zone selling.

have you seen in their version of the foundry the "go kill gold farmer" mission? pretty funny
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2014
    since PWE is a chinese company, perhaps the farmers are just another division of PWE

Lol, u might me on to something there.

I can understand gold sellers posting a msg every 20-30 minutes but this guy/bot its posting 2-3 every few minutes.

Not sure what he want to accomplish by that, other that annoying players.
  • Options
    gorrbagggorrbagg Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ... Multiple accounts, staying kdf side means i have to ignore 30 accounts in 1 hour ... and that's after wall text the "local zone", like i said annoying. Only thing good is closing the "Local chat" as one said.

Maybe instead of sitting in zone worrying about a spammer for hours you could go and play the game, come on man, I get that spam can get old but just ignore it and go out and play the game. When you start seeing spam in STFs then there is a REAL issue.