test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Omni-Directional Beam Array (Ancient Obelisk Technologies only) now has turret DPS

breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
edited March 2015 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I'm unsure if this is related to background work to enable use with the Upgrade System, but as of now the Ancient Obelisk Technologies version of the Omni-Directional Beam Array now has DPS comparable to a turret rather than a beam array. This is not affecting the other Omni-Directional Beam Arrays, only the Ancient Obelisk Technologies variant, and it applies to both pre- and post-conversion to Mk XII. In addition, there is no change in statistics between Mk ∞ and Upgrade System enabled Mk XII. The Ancient Obelisk Technologies version also retains both the beam drain/firing cycle and "Cannot Equip more than 1 of this Item" restriction with other Omni beams, hinting that the reduced DPS was not an attempt to balance the ability to equip two Antiproton versions.

Testing was performed as follows:
  1. I logged into my RRF character Yoap, in sector space above New Romulus, and decided to use the Upgrade System on my Omni-Directional Beam Array Mk ∞ and Obelisk Subspace Rift Warp Core Mk ∞.
  2. Upon upgrading my Omni-Directional Beam Array Mk ∞ to a Omni-Directional Beam Array Mk XII, I actually noticed that it was doing markedly less damage than its original version. I responded with, "Hrm..."
  3. Getting distracted by the clutter in my inventory, and the presence of two Azura II's next to me, I decided to sell off some vendor tash... at which time I remembered the Azura II's are no better than using my Replicator.
  4. It then occurred to me to use the Azura II's Exchange to compare mouse-over DPS with Crafting System Omni-Directional Beam Array Mk XII's... when I realized that my ship's consoles seemed to be throwing off the DPS numbers, I stripped my Tac consoles and continued.
  5. The DPS for Crafting System Omni-Directional Beam Array Mk XII's was comparable to my Beam Array Mk XII's elsewhere on my ship, while the Omni-Directional Beam Array Mk XII from the Ancient Obelisk Technologies set was comparable to Turret Mk XII's.
  6. Having heard about the need to change maps, I beamed down to New Romulus, then back up, then Changed Characters and back for good measure. The DPS of the Omni-Directional Beam Array Mk XII remained unchanged from the Omni-Directional Beam Array Mk ∞ still sitting on my Shuttle.
  7. I repeated the Exchange test for both Mk XII and Mk ∞ again, with identical results.
  8. Deciding that this may be bug with how I was doing the mouse-over test, I retrieved a Tetryon Turret Mk XII (hey, they were cheap and BtA, so I used them as a form of Starter Gear :P), and returned to Local Space above New Romulus.
  9. I equipped my Omni-Directional Beam Array Mk XII, my Tetryon Turret Mk XII, and kept a Beam Array Mk XII and compared their DPS ratings both in the Status window and Weapon Tray. This had identical results as my previous tests.

My conclusion is that during the process of enabling the Upgrade System for the Ancient Obelisk Technologies variant of the Omni-Directional Beam Array Mk ∞, the damage lookup got crossed over to the Turret table rather than the appropriate Beam Array table. The Crafting System versions are working correctly, it is only the Set item that is suffering from incorrect DPS ratings.
Ym9x9Ji.png
meimeitoo wrote: »
I do not like Geko ether.
iconians wrote: »
With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
Post edited by breadandcircuses on

Comments

• Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If you use the consoles from the Rep system and the other omni-directional beam array along with the matching warp core for the ancient omi-directional weapon will improve the damage and accuracy results.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    coolheadal wrote: »
    If you use the consoles from the Rep system and the other omni-directional beam array along with the matching warp core for the ancient omi-directional weapon will improve the damage and accuracy results.

I was intentionally avoiding the use of any consoles or set bonuses in order to confirm that the base damage of the Omni-Directional Beam Array Mk ∞/Mk XII from the Ancient Obelisk Technologies set was actually doing lower DPS than the either Crafting System versions or standard Beam Arrays. The consoles, etc. would actually skew the calculations in Local Space, as the Weapons Tray displays based on your equipment and skills; using consoles, etc. that boost a single damage-type skew this even worse since whatever damage-type is receiving their benefits will appear more effective than it is. ;)
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I was intentionally avoiding the use of any consoles or set bonuses in order to confirm that the base damage of the Omni-Directional Beam Array Mk ∞/Mk XII from the Ancient Obelisk Technologies set was actually doing lower DPS than the either Crafting System versions or standard Beam Arrays. The consoles, etc. would actually skew the calculations in Local Space, as the Weapons Tray displays based on your equipment and skills; using consoles, etc. that boost a single damage-type skew this even worse since whatever damage-type is receiving their benefits will appear more effective than it is. ;)

Well that might be the case, but that's how I use these two weapons. Only in the space battle will you get the correct values of the weapon. Not in sector space.

I do watch and see how the weapons damage with the right consoles does improved on these weapons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    coolheadal wrote: »
    Well that might be the case, but that's how I use these two weapons. Only in the space battle will you get the correct values of the weapon. Not in sector space.

I do watch and see how the weapons damage with the right consoles does improved on these weapons.

Oh, I know the consoles and whatnot improve them, and yes Sector Space is a poor measure of DPS as it does not factor skill, bonuses, etc... that's why you compare in Local Space in planetary system or patrol map. My report is about the comparative DPS. The Set Omni is underperforming relative to the Crafting Omni and other Beam Arrays, doing Turret DPS rather than Beam Array DPS. Sure I can boost the Set Omni to be higher Turret DPS, but it's still boosted Turret DPS rather than that of a Beam Array; like the Crafting Omnis, the Set Omni should be doing Beam Array DPS since that is the point of the [Arc] on it. It is not currently doing so.

...Wait, are you saying that you are capable of equipping 2 Omni-Directional Antiproton Beam Arrays (1 Set, 1 Crafting) despite the "Cannot Equip more than 1 of this Item" restriction? Or are you saying that you use the Set Omni solely for the (working) 2-piece Set bonus and not for the weapon itself?

I think we are on two different pages here... maybe I can phrase it better:
    Under identical conditions, the Set Omni is showing DPS comparable to a Turret.
    Under identical conditions, the Crafting Omni is showing DPS comparable to a Beam Array.
    Both are Omni-Directional Beam Arrays Mk XII [Acc] [Arc] [Dmg].
    Something is not WAI, right?
    Ym9x9Ji.png
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, it seems that way, the damage is lower than before, at the same level as a turret, odd!, it seems to be a bug...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    solemkofsolemkof Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    My conclusion is that during the process of enabling the Upgrade System for the Ancient Obelisk Technologies variant of the Omni-Directional Beam Array Mk ∞, the damage lookup got crossed over to the Turret table rather than the appropriate Beam Array table. The Crafting System versions are working correctly, it is only the Set item that is suffering from incorrect DPS ratings.
    Reading todays patchnotes, Cryptics attempt at a fix is...
    Resolved an issue where some crafted items were incorrectly displaying higher than normal stats.

The items listed below should now display the correct values:
    Omni-Directional Beam Array, All Energy Types.
    Wide Arc Dual Heavy Cannon, All Energy Types.
    ... reducing DPS of the crafted omni-beams :mad:
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So, is this a stealth nerf, or a bug? I, too, noticed a damage decrease in the Obelisk AP Omnidirectional beam.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    solemkof wrote: »
    Reading todays patchnotes, Cryptics attempt at a fix is...

... reducing DPS of the crafted omni-beams :mad:

Those are from the Patch Notes: September 4th, 2014, which properly addressed some issues where several items were unintentionally scaling to a much higher Mk that they should have been.

The damage of the Omni-Directional Beam Array from the Ancient Obelisk Technologies set could have unintentionally been toned down in the process of that fix, though; thanks for reminding us of that... you may have pointed to the source of the current bug with the non-Crafting Omni.

[EDIT] Erm, never mind, I found the Patch Notes for today on the website rather than posted under the Release Notes subforum. Checking the damage in-game, however, the Crafting Omnis and Set Omnis still seem to be doing the same damage as before the patch (at least mine are). Whatever was being fixed, it doesn't seem to be the comparative damage... the Set Omni is still doing turret DPS and the Crafted Omni is still doing the proper beam array DPS.

The bug remains as it was.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
  • Options
    crypticfrostcrypticfrost Member Posts: 1,479 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2014
    Issue verified. Thanks for the reports.
    STO QA Team
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Thank you for the acknowledgement. With so much on your plate, that is much appreciated. :)
    Ym9x9Ji.png
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Thanks! Was starting to regret upgrading this.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Bumping despite being a 4-month-old thread because I just ran into the same issue. Have a Crafted and an Ancient array each equipped, the Crafted Mk12 does the same DPS as an equivalent beam array, but the Ancient Mk12 does the DPS of a turret. Not sure if this was something that was 'fixed' but is back, or if its still waiting.
  • Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    Bumping despite being a 4-month-old thread because I just ran into the same issue. Have a Crafted and an Ancient array each equipped, the Crafted Mk12 does the same DPS as an equivalent beam array, but the Ancient Mk12 does the DPS of a turret. Not sure if this was something that was 'fixed' but is back, or if its still waiting.

I don't believe this was ever fixed; since this thread has confirmation that it is an issue that has been verified, I would like to keep this one open. I, too, am having this issue.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2015
    The current damage output of the Ancient Omni-Directional Beam Array is working as intended. The lower damage output compared to a Crafted Omni-Directional Beam is what allows this one-off unique weapon to not share an equip limit category with them.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    The current damage output of the Ancient Omni-Directional Beam Array is working as intended. The lower damage output compared to a Crafted Omni-Directional Beam is what allows this one-off unique weapon to not share an equip limit category with them.

That's logic I can follow, thanks for the answer.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2015

So the mission-reward beam array with the [arc] mod actually isn't a full beam array, just a reskinned turret with a wasted mod slot? Well thats inconsistant. Wish I'd known that before building a ship around it.