test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO - Player Categories & Delta

macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
With Delta Rising, it seems that Cryptic is taking a very deliberate path with the game which is focused on maximizing potential revenue above all. In this approach, it looks there are essentially 3 categories of players:

1) Casual / freebie players - these are the people that spend $0 to $20(all numbers are just place holders) on the game (total), play only casually (less than a few hours) and are the 1st to drop off after a big content release.

The primary purpose of this group is to pad population and generate some supplemental income from 1st time purchases and some convenience / account unlocks.

2) Hard core / grinders / whales - this group seems to have significant overlap between the players that play a lot (including min/maxes and hard core PvPers and those who spent a lot of money on lock boxes and keys. While it is true that some of these people grind everything in game with dilithium and EC, the majority of them still buy a great deal. Otherwise there would be no items to put up on exchange. The speed at which they acquire said good is another indicator

The primary purpose of this group is to sustain STO. These people generate the overwhelming majority of the income including purchasing the ridiculously expensive expansion packs.

3) Middle group (including me) - who spent $10-20 a month (probably on average a little more than a subscription). Some of us played a decent amount ... say a 1-2 hours on average a day or a little more on the weekend.

The primary purpose ... well we don't count anymore. (since just about when D'Angelo and Geko took over). We don't generate enough income (0 for me since last year) to matter. Our numbers are shirking fast and we tend to be the Trekkers and more demanding fans. So it is more costly/difficult to please us.

I realized this with grind-a-versery and every release since has reinforced my opinion. So this post is kind of a cathartic release and final step me on my path to group #1. So glad I stopped subsidizing this crazy model. I feel for new kids who have known nothing but F2P in STO and everywhere else.

Perhaps D'Stah while pull another Steve Jobs(RIP) move and come back to revamp STO again. *psyche*
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie