test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

About Two Weeks Left to Go...Is Delta Rising Really Ready for Release?

grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
I'm a Lifetime subscriber, lead a Tier V fleet, and also purchased the Delta Rising pack, and no I'm not quitting this game at all so you can't have my stuff :P. I've also upgraded 25 items to Mk XIII (not realizing the bugs) and I'm still very excited for the new story, ships, and all the content but with all the recent developments (bugs/crashes/etc.) I have to ask myself are they honestly ready to roll out Delta Rising on October 14th?

To the developers: in all seriousness, as a loyal player I will understand a push back of the release date in order to fix things. Deadlines are one thing, but if the past few days are a sign of things to come, push the release date, sit back, and fix the errors in the coding; I think the community would respect and appreciate that even more. I have been debating taking the week of the 14th off from STO to play other games and let the dust settle.

Also, after Delta Rising you should hold back on new content and get two giant white boards, put one in the Cryptic front lobby, the other where the coders and developers work...write down every known bug the game has and players have reported and don't release anything major until everything on that list has been checked off :).

That alone would probably boost your sales more than any new content, cause as we all know when the customer is happy and giddy and everything is right...he forgets his wallet isn't even in his back pocket anymore :D
Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
Fleet Leader of:
Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
Liberty Guardians
U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
Post edited by grayfoxjames on

Comments

• Options
    guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm really curious to see what they'll decide to do with STF rewards.

They're on tribble experimenting with no longer giving Exp, marks, dilithium, etc at the same time. There's one STF that gives 0 rewards, but gives you a choice of Exp OR, Marks, OR Dilithium, OR R&D box.

I hope they don't do this for every stf.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Considering the testing of the upgrade system on tribble was still... ummm... being tested, I was really surprised they released part of it to holodeck. Im still testing stuff an really think it has about another 3-4 weeks worth to get it " ok ", just feel they should take a little more time.
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It doesn't matter if Delta Rising is ready or not, they're going to release it on the 14th regardless. And regardless if it's full of bugs or perfect, people are going to pay for the pack and play the hell out of Delta Rising.

And the devs know this. That's why there isn't a huge urgency to fix all the bugs. As long as it's somewhat playable, players are going to play it regardless and throw their money at Cryptic to play it.

Don't believe me, go look at the dozens of people defending Cryptic for the recent very hellishly buggy item upgrade system. Heck even the people that are on here complaining about it are still playing the game and using the upgrade system.
  • Options
    solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Does a bear **** in the toilet?

Is the Pope Buddhist?
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • Options
    vawlkusvawlkus Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Look at the past couple of days when they did this early part roll out, and you would seem to have your answer to this question.
  • Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Tribble isn't really a test server, it's a sneak peek server. Most everything put on there lately has gone live with few (if any) changes. Big fixes don't make them money, shiney new things do.

If they fix bugs people will still stop logging on once they finish DR content. PvE will still be a snoozetacular borefest and PvP will still be the sci spam olympics. So they have to pump out content to mask the poor quality control, and to draw people back from other games however briefly.

It's Star Trek, that's why a lot of us are here, and they capitalize on that fact.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No. But it may be ready 2 weeks from now.

Or, at least as ready as Cryptic thinks it needs to be let loose on the general population.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Op u sound new to the game DR will be pushed to main if its ready or not.
    Off the top of my head loadouts still buged lots of the crafting stuff does not get ithe mods its ment too. Now the latest push upgrades were it removes mods off weapons.

DR will go live very buggy and a few will stay as features of the game as it has with every big push
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    gardatgardat Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Delta Rising will absolutely be released on time.

But will it be ready? Nooo....

Enjoy the game breaking bugs, crashes and newly introduced problems that are never resolved!

Case in point: BoFF seating on your ship bridge has been broken since LoR hit.
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Don't know if I'm considered new player or not, started playing February of 2013 and from what I've seen after a major release yes there are bugs and some get fixed some do not. My only concern is that with every subsequent release bugs get piled on top of bugs; eventually we may hit "critical mass" of bugs/errors and then the game will just break down to the point where it is completely unplayable...at least that's my fear.

What I mean by unplayable is where your frustration level to play exceeds your satisfaction and joy level of playing...right now I think, while most of us are annoyed by certain bugs, joy > frustration (some have smaller threshholds hence the rage quitting).

I know in an MMO you need to stay fresh and put out new stuff but I really think after DR, they need to sit down and take 6 months or more of just fixing.
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Guardians

• Options
    darin010darin010 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    From what I have seen on Tribble and from how a friend and I have managed to trip like 10 or more bugs in each mission DR is a good ways off from being ready. But most of you are right it will go live right on time with out a doubt. I really think they should hold off on it but they won't. It will have bugs on top of bugs and they will put out a few big patches to tape every thing up and to get it running smoothish. My worry is that as many small bugs that are in this game it becomes more and more unstable to where one day it crashes in a way where it won't be a few hours to get the system back it might be a few days. I have seen this with computers before I would not want to see it on the server level. Could they fix this yes, does it make them money, No! Would it put more faith in the company and Devs... It might I mean it couldn't hurt they don't have alot helping them now. But as always we shall see and we can always hope can't we.

Glad I am not the only one that see's it that way.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited September 2014
    Why would they release an unfinished and buggy Delta feature (upgrades) on a production server 2 weeks before the expansion? I can't think of any other major MMO company that pulls amateurish moves like this.

Glad I didn't bother experimenting with upgrades this weekend.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    A deadline is a deadline.

I also tend to think it's all part of the process. Sadly releasing unfinished products and then adding fixes and tweaks has become standard practice for games in general these days.

Why is it tolerated? Not a clue. I'm sure Cryptic will have something shiny waiting in the wings to please all the critics should something bad happens on the 14th.
  • Options
    shriakeshriake Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    macronius wrote: »
    Why would they release an unfinished and buggy Delta feature (upgrades) on a production server 2 weeks before the expansion? I can't think of any other major MMO company that pulls amateurish moves like this.

Blizzard is king of amatuerish moves and taking advantage of its player base.

1. They are going to release an 'expantion' which most have labeled as a patch as it does little to add anything but takes away so much. In my eyes, that expac is about 1 year away from being ready for release.

2. They offered a half off deal on server transfers...where many people flocked and transfered several characters. When the deal was over they announced their connected realms. I feel bad for anyone who transfered from a server to a new one, just to get connected to the server they left.

Key thing is that this is a subscription based game, stuff like this shouldnt happen....STO however is F2P and they have to make money by turning out new shineys. No money means they eventually would have to close....is some of this pay to win...yeah but thats alright with a F2P game...now if it was subscription based like WoW then you get what myself and many others have done...left for other games that actually care about the integrity of their games.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    coupaholic wrote: »
    A deadline is a deadline.

I also tend to think it's all part of the process. Sadly releasing unfinished products and then adding fixes and tweaks has become standard practice for games in general these days.

Why is it tolerated? Not a clue. I'm sure Cryptic will have something shiny waiting in the wings to please all the critics should something bad happens on the 14th.

Particular when it's a deadline, it could be contractual neccessity. If not that, at least a financial one, as there might be certain expections on when and how sales develop depending on content releases.

Also, in any creative endeavour I have ever been part of, I could ever say that it was complete and absolutely finished. There is always something you could do to make it better. Barring actual breaking bugs in software (stuff like "game crashes all the time, login impossible, characters get corrupted"), a deadline can serve as a reasonable cut-off point as any other estimation.

But unlike many creative endeavours, development of an MMO is ongoing. Releasing with issues doesn't have to mean they stay forever.

Season 9.5 introduced the weapon FX missing. People complained, said it would never be fixed, got angry that it was not fixed, and then, lo and behold, it was fixed. But how serious was it really? Annoying, sure. Immersion breaking, sure. But the character didn't stop working, the game didn't crash, no items got lost. Just the FX was mixing.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    macronius wrote: »

I'm finding being a late adopter to any new feature or system in STO is a lot less stressful. Just sit back, watch the rage posts come in, wait for fixes/player work-arounds, then give 'er a go.
  • Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    There's a lot of big problems with this season, I feel. The story content coming to DR isn't one of them. Based on what I've seen on Tribble so far, its phenomenal. Best yet. 10/10.
  • Options
    redz4twredz4tw Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2014
    gardat wrote: »
    Delta Rising will absolutely be released on time.

But will it be ready? Nooo....

Enjoy the game breaking bugs, crashes and newly introduced problems that are never resolved!

Case in point: BoFF seating on your ship bridge has been broken since LoR hit.

Uh, explain this...my BOFF's work fine, other than having to select boffs when you get a new ship, but that's normal.
    THere's very few bugs i know of (keep in mind i detest crafting and don't do it so i haven't the slightest about crafting bugs)
    PvP queues take a reaaaaaaaallllly long time to pop, even when there's 10 people queued for arena.
    Sometimes you have to click an ability twice for it to activate, though that's probably lag more than a bug.
    The bikini tailor bug, although i'm not sure anyone really complains about this one LOL
    yeah......can't think of anything else. My loadouts work perfectly fine and so do Boff stations.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm a Lifetime subscriber, lead a Tier V fleet, and also purchased the Delta Rising pack, and no I'm not quitting this game at all so you can't have my stuff :P. I've also upgraded 25 items to Mk XIII (not realizing the bugs) and I'm still very excited for the new story, ships, and all the content but with all the recent developments (bugs/crashes/etc.) I have to ask myself are they honestly ready to roll out Delta Rising on October 14th?

To the developers: in all seriousness, as a loyal player I will understand a push back of the release date in order to fix things. Deadlines are one thing, but if the past few days are a sign of things to come, push the release date, sit back, and fix the errors in the coding; I think the community would respect and appreciate that even more. I have been debating taking the week of the 14th off from STO to play other games and let the dust settle.

Also, after Delta Rising you should hold back on new content and get two giant white boards, put one in the Cryptic front lobby, the other where the coders and developers work...write down every known bug the game has and players have reported and don't release anything major until everything on that list has been checked off :).

That alone would probably boost your sales more than any new content, cause as we all know when the customer is happy and giddy and everything is right...he forgets his wallet isn't even in his back pocket anymore :D

from the way i understand it, its released on its timetable by any means going by the general quality of the game and its lack there of sometimes. they fix the most serious bugs and issue and then pass it off to release once the various departments in the back are happy with it even if it dont mean much when time runs out and some issues persist. they may possibly revisit the main issues later on if time permits. i would imagine there are a number of projects already booked in for the 2015 timetable for cryptic. a business needs to look ahead on all things, so if they see DR as a success like LoR before it, the possible rumored x3 may come forward as a solid fact before long but kept tightly under the wrapper for a while on lots of details.

is DR ready for release? is anything cryptic releases? the chances are now whats the operational state of the expansion when it is passed along to holodeck; is it balanced? is it good? are there some serious issues not looked at? whatever the case its going to release on the 14th oct.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm finding being a late adopter to any new feature or system in STO is a lot less stressful. Just sit back, watch the rage posts come in, wait for fixes/player work-arounds, then give 'er a go.

Yep. If it is fresh from Tribble avoid it, it will be bugged. Leave it a month or two, as by then it will be in a usable state.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Nope, not by a long shot, but that has never stopped them before...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If they've announced the date, its totally happening and in the sense of production, yes, its ready. They won't pull back from it. However, there do seem to be a lot of bugs to fix in two short weeks........
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm a Lifetime subscriber, lead a Tier V fleet, and also purchased the Delta Rising pack, and no I'm not quitting this game at all so you can't have my stuff :P. I've also upgraded 25 items to Mk XIII (not realizing the bugs)

What bugs? I've upgraded some stuff and didn't see bugs. Well only 1, My KCB lost its mod at the end but that was it. What else?
  • Options
    edited September 2014

The players would respect that more and I even believe Cryptic would be all for it. With F2P games tho you have another party to consider. A Silent partner(S). And they are EVULL!!!
    Investors.. investors are here to make money and thats it. If they heard of some action like this they would make threats. Claim they would take all thier money and invest it in something else. Its a good idea but it won't happen.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if Delta Rising is ready or not, they're going to release it on the 14th regardless. And regardless if it's full of bugs or perfect, people are going to pay for the pack and play the hell out of Delta Rising.

And the devs know this. That's why there isn't a huge urgency to fix all the bugs. As long as it's somewhat playable, players are going to play it regardless and throw their money at Cryptic to play it.

Don't believe me, go look at the dozens of people defending Cryptic for the recent very hellishly buggy item upgrade system. Heck even the people that are on here complaining about it are still playing the game and using the upgrade system.

Sometimes I don't think the bugs can be fixed. In the beginning they just got hold of some bad Developers tools and it was hardwired to have hick-ups.
    Even when something easy is programmed because the system reads it screwy. Theres bugs.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    hyefather wrote: »
    I'm a Lifetime subscriber, lead a Tier V fleet, and also purchased the Delta Rising pack, and no I'm not quitting this game at all so you can't have my stuff :P. I've also upgraded 25 items to Mk XIII (not realizing the bugs)

What bugs? I've upgraded some stuff and didn't see bugs. Well only 1, My KCB lost its mod at the end but that was it. What else?

Borg Engine and Assimilated module can't be upgraded. Fleet shields show no improvement upon upgrade. Ferengi whip stats go down I think. Those are just the ones I have I know there are more items not working right that are listed in the "Bug Report" forums.

Some have even claimed the item all together just disappears but I can't verify the validity of those claims.
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Guardians

• Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    hyefather wrote: »

Borg Engine and Assimilated module can't be upgraded. Fleet shields show no improvement upon upgrade. Ferengi whip stats go down I think. Those are just the ones I have I know there are more items not working right that are listed in the "Bug Report" forums.

Some have even claimed the item all together just disappears but I can't verify the validity of those claims.

Jem'Hadar Mk XII VR set has stats that are worse than those on the current set.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    guilli88 wrote: »
    I'm really curious to see what they'll decide to do with STF rewards.

They're on tribble experimenting with no longer giving Exp, marks, dilithium, etc at the same time. There's one STF that gives 0 rewards, but gives you a choice of Exp OR, Marks, OR Dilithium, OR R&D box.

I hope they don't do this for every stf.

THAT would probably seriously cut back in the amount of time I play the game.

Having to play a part of the game over & over to get a certain amount of stuff is reasonable...

Having to play that same part of the game, a hundred times more to get multiples of ALL the stuff needed would be very discouraging.

That kind of change could be the "NGE" for STO.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    knockyknocky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    They released the entire game well before it was ready. And that was when everyone paid a monthly fee.

You really think they aren't going to released this patently unfinished expansion when the game is free quote, unquote?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014

I'm amazed that you supposedly lead a T5 fleet and don't pay attention to what's going on. I mean you ought to realise Cryptic will release stuff regardless, that they're useless at their own game and have no idea how much better many other games are bug wise.

As for the crafting upgrade system, one look through the tribble feedback forum would have told you it's not worth the risk right now.

But on the point, no it won't be ready and yes they'll release it regardless, the fact they released the upgrade system in the state it is in should say enough.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.