test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New STO Grind system - I get it now.

neppakyoneppakyo Member Posts: 245 Arc User
I figured out cryptics plan.

We get so sick of the massive grind, we pay money to make it stop.

Very evil.
Quote about STO on consoles: "Not quite as bad as No man's sky, but a close second."
Post edited by neppakyo on

Comments

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's worked for 3 years. Why change it? That's what F2P truly means, afterall.
  • Options
    neppakyoneppakyo Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited September 2014

GW2 f2p model is much easier on the player than STO is...
    Quote about STO on consoles: "Not quite as bad as No man's sky, but a close second."
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yes OP, its true--people are willing to pay $$ to avoid playing STO
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    neppakyo wrote: »

Very evil.

Link :: This is what 'Star Trek: Online' has been turned into.
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Let's say that you are wrong. It is only in the couple of "updates" that we are seeing the "why wait" button.
  • Options
    stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I also found out that Cryptic was secretly behind the Black Death!! :eek:
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • Options
    xparr15xparr15 Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You've finally discovered how a business can offer an extensive online game with regular updates and a large development team with full time professional salaries for absolutely free.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    stomperx99 wrote: »
    I also found out that Cryptic was secretly behind the Black Death!! :eek:

I heard they want to cancel Christmas. And ban puppies and kittens.

...you realise you don't have to pay right? Or in fact take part in any upgrades or new ship tiers at all? Ah who am I kidding...
  • Options
    guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    Let's say that you are wrong. It is only in the couple of "updates" that we are seeing the "why wait" button.

This is a worrying trend though. What annoys me the most:

You cannot see the time left unless you click the "why wait" button
    You cannot use your gear because it gets locked for 2.5hours unless you click the "why wait" button.

This is a very worrying trend that companies will pursue if it brings them more money.
    Imagine having a timegate pay button behind selling stuff on the exchange. Imagine having to wait or pay to equip items. Imagine having to pay or wait to do stf's once they change the cooldown timer to 4hours. And so forth.

Companies want more money, always, and this is going to be their next stop. They will slowly timegate everything with a pay to skip option.

Now I'm ok with a company wanting to generate revenue for a free service. HOWEVER, that should be within reason. When a F2P game starts costing 50-100$ a month to play it comfortably without timegates (see farmvile or the other thousands of Facebook games) then it becomes a huge problem.

The actual playerbase that pays do have limits, and I fear we're walking the line with the crafting "pay or wait" changes (see top my post).

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You just figured this out now?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    You just figured this out now?

No, but it needs to be said over and over again because a certain subset of people on the forums will defend these business practices in the extreme.

There are limits to patience.

sig

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    any one else find the fact people complain about long grinds in ftp games that you can pay to short amusing?

when sub based games have them to and you have no choice but to do it the long way and you have to pay for the privilege of doing said grind. but make it free and give a way to pay to shorten, it's pure evil.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    nightken wrote: »
    any one else find the fact people complain about long grinds in ftp games that you can pay to short amusing?

when sub based games have them to and you have no choice but to do it the long way and you have to pay for the privilege of doing said grind. but make it free and give a way to pay to shorten, it's pure evil.

Again, you, like many people, only see this from two sides: No timegates, Yes timegates.

You have to realise there is a middleground that works fine! I am not against such mechanics to generate revenue. The issue is that slowly it seems every action is being put behind a timegate.

There is such a thing as "too many of something is bad".

sig

• Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    When they blocked free drops from stf with season 7 and started charging 30,000 dil for them instead, much like or exactly like now having to rebuy your old gear, my characters that hadn't gotten gear, I let them go.

To this day they just contraband converters and yes I still have weapons from the real STF that's how cheap I am, and I am even more pitiful and bitter and resentful than I am cheap.

I ignored reputation, lockboxes and fleet gear. I did contribute to my fleet and I do buy an item here and there but overall I don't go buying 5 damage consoles at 60 million to watch them get invalidated by fleet spire.

Never had a purple console, never owned a top weapon. For this reason.

A crafting system's only legitimacy is in the core element of saving the user resources (usually by breaking down items) so he can EARN for putting in TIME.

Much like the dil system is a time currency in which you earn dil for your time.

This time they breaking their own premise of the whole game but I have no problem with staying out of room 237 for yet another season, belee dat
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    guilli88 wrote: »
    Again, you, like many people, only see this from two sides: No timegates, Yes timegates.

You have to realise there is a middleground that works fine! I am not against such mechanics to generate revenue. The issue is that slowly it seems every action is being put behind a timegate.

There is such a thing as "too many of something is bad".

I never said how I felt about the time gate I said I found peoples complaining about them amusing. the fact people assume I'm against them if i don't jump on the hate train only is amusing on good days.

personally I don't find any of the time gates to but so restrictive. could their be fewer or shorter. sure. would I protest cryptic shorten them, nope. but is it the the evil evil thing like to make it out too be no it's not. at most it somewhat annoying. and with the tech upgrade system adding more items to the end game. I willing to say this one is one of the better ways it could be done.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Darn Cryptic and their charging for optional stuff! That's no way to run a charity!!
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Very evil.

Yes, this is called "Free to Play". It's funny that a lot of players still think this is a good system. It is a one-way leading into a dead end in terms of gamedesign, creativity and longevity of a game.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    With the next season, our stuff will wear-down and cost dilitium to repair !!
    Our ship will use dilitium to move in sector space and if you die, respawn cost dilitium...

comming soon ™
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    GW2 f2p model is much easier on the player than STO is...

GW2 has *no* F2P model. Just sayin...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Yes, this is called "Free to Play". It's funny that a lot of players still think this is a good system. It is a one-way leading into a dead end in terms of gamedesign, creativity and longevity of a game.

Absolutely - what is interesting to watch is what happens to a game at what I guess is now "end stage" - do they keep the game going at a sustanance level or bow to max-profit requirements and just close it? One of my favorite games has apparently come to terms with it by maintaining a modest sized development team and doing the things they always wanted to do, while retaining many of the cash and grab aspects from its "peak cash grab period" they are somewhat tacitly deemphasized. That particular company has a history of keeping games they love open if they can sustain even tho0ugh the are no longer "at peak".

One of the distinctive differences of some MMO's from others is how well known their brand is. It's my current thinking that since the Star Trek brand is so well known, it is more likely than not that this game will live on in some form, although it may not be the form most suited to the cash grabbers. Unlike less well known brands, I "suspect" there is a core love for the brand/game/series that it will live on in some form even if it were "sold" to less cash hungry management. Surely those who control the purse must know that if they go too far, someone else will fill the void. If they end up not caring, someone else wlll (and of course some are trying already anyway.)

These MMO's are not oil companies or cable companies so I doubt they can purchase enough political clout to ensure their monopoly control, they have to hope to do it through business model and right now that's a much dicier proposition without the political muscle to enforce effective monopolies.

Maximum profit is not sustainable either here or out in the real world. At least here it doesn't have adverse climatological side affects.

There is only so much disposable income in the hands of people willing to fork it over to avoid delayed gratification....then you hit an invisible wall and decisions will have to be made. in that other MMO I referenced above, the big cash grabbers moved elsewhere, the major superstars of management moved elsewhere, and a core group is there hanging in and actually focusing on game changes the players have always wanted. I hope that contintinues as long as it can.

One never knows when a major expansion is going to signify such a change...
  • Options
    bradchristopher1bradchristopher1 Member Posts: 307
    edited September 2014

Very evil.

either that or we quit playing altogether. I wonder, can pwe/cryptic really afford to risk losing their installed base and potentially a very valuable IP?

:confused:
  • Options
    varthelmvarthelm Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The issue here isn't that people will spend money to save time...its whether they are getting their money's worth when they do so. I spent money on dil so I could get fleet gear and ships more quickly because I have limited time and could afford it. The gear purchases were useful on a variety of ships and builds so I felt I was getting something useful that would remain so into the future.

Now they feel they can keep whales spending by putting more time gates in the game then generously offering to let me skip the wait they have imposed for no other reason than to try to frustrate me into spending more money? Not a chance.

It's just lazy game design. Want me to keep spending money? Make sure my current expenditures retain thier end game value while introducing more variety and gear choices for us to dabble with. The time gates on crafting and gear upgrades diminish the value of both my time and my money while only serving to return me to competative endgame funtionality on a level I had already worked hard to achive. The announcement of Fleet T6 greatly diminishes the future value of previous ship investments even if I play along with all the upgrades.

Making a better game with more variety and challenge is how you keep us hooked and spending....not atificially moving the bar on us like a carrot on a stick we'll never quite get to.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Just did an upgrade of a beam weapon. Cost me ~700K EC per tech upgrade, of which I needed ca. 10. That's 7 mil EC, right there! And that was only for an upgrade to Mk. XIII of a single wep! So, for a full ship, with like 20 upgradable items, where looking at ca. 150 mil in tech upgrades alone, not even counting Dilithium.

No matter how many threads the mod closes, this is insane, pure and simple.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    bernatk wrote: »
    GW2 has *no* F2P model. Just sayin...
    No it a buy to play and that just a one time fee then you can play all you like. I don't know if they have any time gates as I never played it before but if they do have them it not everywhere like STO .
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    fallenhawk wrote: »
    No it a buy to play and that just a one time fee then you can play all you like. I don't know if they have any time gates as I never played it before but if they do have them it not everywhere like STO .

I am very sorry for this but I have to ask.

if you have never played how do you know anything about any time gates GW2 may or may not have?

and sto has that beat you pay a no time fee of nothing... because thats what free to play means.

• Options
    fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    nightken wrote: »
    I am very sorry for this but I have to ask.

if you have never played how do you know anything about any time gates GW2 may or may not have?

and sto has that beat you pay a no time fee of nothing... because thats what free to play means.
    I don't know if GW2 has any but I could look around or get an answer from someone who has played .
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    fallenhawk wrote: »
    I don't know if GW2 has any but I could look around or get an answer from someone who has played .

please do before saying it's better then sto on the ground... you don't like what sto has. not trying to be rude but if you going to compare things you should know what your comparing to.

• Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    "We're not mad at Angry Birds, and we're not trying to defend the universe from Angry Birds. Although you might want to consider defending yourself from Angry Birds. If you aren't paying for the app, you aren't a customer, you're the product."

- former CIA, NSA chief Michael Hayden

... something to ponder ...