test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What are the two best defensive rep traits?

lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Reputation System
I'm curious as to what people think? I've been using Active Hull Hardening and Nanoprobe Field Generator.

I've been flying a Harpia for a while now and I'm still trying to get used to being this squishy...I'm used to flying big armored carriers and battlecruisers and I haven't spent much time in light ships in a long time.

Now I ask this because I don't know how happy I am with Active Hull Hardening...it doesn't seem like it does much to me and it doesn't help when you get hit through EPTS reinforced shields 90% of your hull ate up...sometimes I just don't have a fast enough reaction time to hit TT and ST before they get that last 10% in 1 shot.

Doesn't happen often and not against many things...I just have trouble with mostly the Dreadnought in elite undine assault and the gates in elite infected and khitomer.

I don't know if I'm getting gibbed by invis torps or what...I'm running neut in both my engineering slots...working on getting mk xii fleet ones though.
Post edited by lianthelia on

Comments

• mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If you have decent Aux (you should if you're running a DSD, since even in Tactical mode, high Aux helps your Science powers), then "Auxiliary Power Configuration - Defense" from the Nukara rep is the best single defensive trait you can slot. After that, it's up to your needs: if you have a lot of damage resistance already, then extra max HP can help. If you feel you have enough max HP, then extra damage resist is useful. The automatic recovery traits are fairly weak compared to active heals, and mostly only make a difference if you're already durable enough to take advantage of the minor heal over time effects.

Active Hull Hardening can help some as you take fire, but won't help against heavy spike damage that takes you from 50-75% down to 0% in a single shot, and Nanoprobe Field Generator won't save you if the enemy is eating your hull through your shields.

If you're not using a Resilient Shield, switch to one, since that will reduce the damage that bypasses your shields.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Nanoprobe for sure takes the top spot.

Active Hardening for higher hull ships; the flat +10% shield capacity for lower hull ships.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If you have decent Aux (you should if you're running a DSD, since even in Tactical mode, high Aux helps your Science powers), then "Auxiliary Power Configuration - Defense" from the Nukara rep is the best single defensive trait you can slot. After that, it's up to your needs: if you have a lot of damage resistance already, then extra max HP can help. If you feel you have enough max HP, then extra damage resist is useful. The automatic recovery traits are fairly weak compared to active heals, and mostly only make a difference if you're already durable enough to take advantage of the minor heal over time effects.

Active Hull Hardening can help some as you take fire, but won't help against heavy spike damage that takes you from 50-75% down to 0% in a single shot, and Nanoprobe Field Generator won't save you if the enemy is eating your hull through your shields.

If you're not using a Resilient Shield, switch to one, since that will reduce the damage that bypasses your shields.

You know...I feel kinda like a idiot as I didn't even think about that one...which is really stupid of me as I'm running the DPS version of it as one of my space traits. >.<

Thanks for the knock on the head lol.
  • jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    My personal list is Nukara Aux config defense->Active Hull Hardening->Reactive Hull repairs.

The thing I don't like about nanoprobe field generator is that (a) there's a shield resistance cap of 75%, and (b) most people already have very, very high shield resistance, between EPTS, fleet [Adapt] shields, and shield power, so it gives very little effective shield dr (just from the way shield dr stacks).

I'm not a fan of the raw capacity buffs, especially with the T5-U ships right now, as the capacities for shield/hull just went up, and our ability to heal them (at least yourself) generally didn't, or at least not correspondingly. So, getting more resistance (a la Active Hull Hardening) makes your heals worth more, and reactive hull repairs is a somewhat decent trait (though, had it gone live how it was on tribble at first, it would have been reactive hull repairs->precision (to proc reactive hull repairs) ->nukara aux config defense. It was really, really nice).
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Now I ask this because I don't know how happy I am with Active Hull Hardening...it doesn't seem like it does much to me and it doesn't help when you get hit through EPTS reinforced shields 90% of your hull ate up...sometimes I just don't have a fast enough reaction time to hit TT and ST before they get that last 10% in 1 shot.

Given the layout, are you not using two TT1s (or one with Conn DOffs) so it's active most of the time, and on cooldown when it's not?

I'm kind of assuming TT1/FAW2/FAW3 and TT1 as the Tac BOffs.

A2SIF1 should be one of your Engineering powers too, I personally fire that whenever off cooldown (so it's on my spacebar). With high Aux, that's a nice chunk of Damage Resistance for 10s/15s, much like with Tac Team.

EPtS1/RSP1 and EPtW1/A2SIF1 is my assumption.