test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unofficial LC #3 Discussion Thread

moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Ten Forward
This is the discussion thread for Unofficial LC #3.

Entries thread here.
List of official LCs here.
Unofficial LC #1 here.
Unofficial LC #2 here.

Remember, no trolling please. This is NOT the Official Literary Challenge. This is a cheap knock off for us to do until Smirk pops up a new one. Please refrain from throwing the Tribbles.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
Post edited by moonshadowdark on

Comments

• ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The Next Generation interests me, as I'm already taking part in an RP thread set in the 26th Century.

I don't think I can fit it in with my FanFic Victorious, but then I can always add it in later.

I'll see what I can come up with.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Woohoo! Let's dig in while Smirk comes up with something official!

I always get a warm fuzzy feeling when we the players do something as a community; it gives the devs and mods a break, and gives us something to do other than whine. :D
    edited September 2014
    I'm hard at work on Prompt #3, wherein D'trel kills innocent people*. Three's entire career is a darkest moment, of course, and I don't want to do anything too silly right now.

To everyone who's waiting for gift fics from me; I'm working on two right now; one's about half-done but the other is stuck. I'll see what I can do over the week.

*for a given value of innocent; they WERE Tal Shiar, and one of their less-than-ethical experiments DID backfire on them, and...well, let's just say that it was morally gray but D'trel took it hard.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Oy vey.

#1: Eurgh. Time travel. Doesn't work for Eleya because of the Temporal Prime Directive. In the novel Federation (one of the better depictions IMHO) starships from the past are required to pixellate viewscreen images of starships from the future, and if the two have to communicate they're not supposed to transmit any identifying information.* I might be able to swing it with Brokosh or Morgan, but in STO the Klingons put roughly the same restrictions on temporal stuff as the Federation (see "Night of the Comet" KDF-side), and the Romulans do too (see VOY: "Eye of the Needle").

#2 excludes Brokosh because tribbles are terrified of Klingons (and the HoSbatlh is still about 70% Klingon crew-wise), and I'm not sure tribbles would survive in Vulcan's environment (a proto-sehlat would probably think a tribble a nice snack) so Morgan's probably out, too. Eleya's usable, though she actually thinks the Klingons are right about the tribbles.

#3, though ... I was going to say I couldn't think of what to do, but I just had a crazy idea to use Morgan again and work it as a novelization of that mission in the Tal'Shiar infiltration arc where you're forced to sacrifice a Reman to maintain your cover.

*Although Picard bends this to tell Kirk he was working alongside the future Enterprise. Awesome sequence, and it lets Kirk leave a time capsule for Picard that explained to him just what the frak was going on this whole time. The Reeves-Stevenses rock.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited September 2014
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just spent a good 3 hours on a story...and lost it because I somehow got logged out before I posted it. :mad:

Forget it, I'm headed to bed.
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    "The Next Generation" by MoonshadowDark

Might do...

"The Tribble with Timelines" by Worffan101

No...

"Darkest Moment" by aten66

Hmmm... Tempting...

Marcus' darkest moments have already been posted... Amanda's and Ael's absolute darkest moments are simply not getting written. Ever. But I might see what other horror stories the Romulan lovely has to share...
    edited September 2014
    Can't sleep, so sitting bleary-eyed at my computer.

No...
    Too ridiculous?

Hmmm... Tempting...

Marcus' darkest moments have already been posted... Amanda's and Ael's absolute darkest moments are simply not getting written. Ever. But I might see what other horror stories the Romulan lovely has to share...

I can totally understand with Ael, but...

Man, if something equally horrible happened to Amanda...

Dude, you scare me sometimes. :eek::D
    edited September 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just spent a good 3 hours on a story...and lost it because I somehow got logged out before I posted it. :mad:

Forget it, I'm headed to bed.

That's why I compose everything in Word and then copy-paste into the forum. Might want to look into that.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited September 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    That's why I compose everything in Word and then copy-paste into the forum. Might want to look into that.

Yeah, I really should...

Just lost about 5 pages of D'trel losing it and killing sort-of-maybe-innocent people, followed by D'trel breaking down because she's actually a decent person with a conscience and everything beneath the decades of hate and rage. And it was a good 5 pages, too.
  • takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    "The Next Generation" by MoonshadowDark

Interesting... I do have some ideas for future descendants - would need to see if something comes up... though Time Travel tends to make my brain hurt...

Meh... this one doesn't work for me...

Will need to see if I can come up with anything for this one...

Also, worffan, you can use Google Drive instead of Word, if you want - it automatically saves things, so you don't need to worry about manual saving. :cool:
    76561198160276582.png
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Okay, I've got an idea for prompt 1, so I'll try to get that one up by the end of the day.

As for prompt 2... I've got an idea for it, but I'll have to twist the prompt to do it.

I'll see what I come up with.
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Prompt #1: Who says the Federation will even survive to the 26th century in my timeline?

Prompt #2: I can do this in four lines:

"Sir, sensors found our missing tribble. It's on the surface!"

"Oh no! It could breed out of control and cause an ecological apocalypse, possibly destroying any chance of Human life evolving from-"

"Oop, never mind. A raptor just ate it."

"Oh, well. That's a relief. I guess we should work on getting back to our time then."

Prompt #3: Ssharki's had his ("The Last Candle Burns") Jesu and Rusty have had their share of these moments with more to come (stay tuned to "The Sign at the Crossroads") and Sway, well, without giving too much away check out Worffan's birthday thread tomorrow.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    sander233 wrote: »

Prompt #2: I can do this in four lines:

"Sir, sensors found our missing tribble. It's on the surface!"

"Oh no! It could breed out of control and cause an ecological apocalypse, possibly destroying any chance of Human life evolving from-"

"Oop, never mind. A raptor just ate it."

An appropriate response.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    In a similar vein:

"Captain, we've, ah, lost the Tribble that was on board."
    "Commander, I've told you, no more tribbles on the ship."
    "I'm, ah, sorry, Sir. I was, ah, moving them to a kennel when we, ah, got sent back in time."
    "Any idea where it is?"
    "Yes Sir. Ah, sensors are picking up one, ah, tribble lifesign on the surface."
    "Then beam it up. It hasn't had chance to breed if there's only one."
    "Yes Sir. Transporter Room reports they, ah, have the tribble on board."
    "Good. Now, about that anomaly."

Although I have just thought of a funny way to do this prompt properly. Which I may quickly scribble up. I do intend to do #3 though.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Too ridiculous?
    Yup... :P

I can totally understand with Ael, but...

Man, if something equally horrible happened to Amanda...

Dude, you scare me sometimes. :eek::D

Equally horrible? After graduating from ATT, Admiral Janeway gave her a mission to the MU to extract a cultural observer who was monitoring the Cardassian-Klingon alliance to look for any signs that such a thing could happen in the PrimeVerse... The observer was long dead, and Amanda found herself spending some time in the clutches of the alliance... Let's just say that Ael's experience was a romantic evening by comparison... So no, that's not getting written...
    edited September 2014
    Yup... :P
    Eh, the Sisko did something vaguely similar, and nobody ever questioned HIS seriousness.
    Equally horrible? After graduating from ATT, Admiral Janeway gave her a mission to the MU to extract a cultural observer who was monitoring the Cardassian-Klingon alliance to look for any signs that such a thing could happen in the PrimeVerse... The observer was long dead, and Amanda found herself spending some time in the clutches of the alliance... Let's just say that Ael's experience was a romantic evening by comparison... So no, that's not getting written...

Thank you, Admiral Janeway...you psychopathic imbecile. ;)

And yeah, I could do without reading that.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    grylak wrote: »
    "Then beam it up. It hasn't had chance to breed if there's only one."
    Except that tribbles are a parthenogenetic species, with no fixed gender, and will breed solo so long as there is food available. (Recall the experiences of the crew of NCC-1701, during the Sherman's Planet incident at Deep Space K-7...)

On the other hand, the gestation period is measured in hours, so as long as you grab it before an hour has passed, all should be well.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited September 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Except that tribbles are a parthenogenetic species, with no fixed gender, and will breed solo so long as there is food available. (Recall the experiences of the crew of NCC-1701, during the Sherman's Planet incident at Deep Space K-7...)

On the other hand, the gestation period is measured in hours, so as long as you grab it before an hour has passed, all should be well.

Yeah, I was meaning "It's not had chance to pop any more tribbles out so grab it quick while there's only one!"

But my actual entry for this is now up in the thread proper.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
    edited September 2014
    jonsills wrote: »

Doesn't matter. Life sign sensors can tell known species apart. Just beam them all into hard vacuum and you're done.

Come to think of it, that would fit Eleya's blunt force approach to problem solving. ..
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited September 2014
    Amazing that people will cry for days over a minor character like Dobby, yet not bat an eye to Tribble murder.

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
    edited September 2014
    Amazing that people will cry for days over a minor character like Dobby, yet not bat an eye to Tribble murder.

T'Var: "Your logic is fallacious, sir."

Eleya: "False analogy fallacy. A tribble isn't a sapient creature."
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited September 2014
    Oh man, I am on fire with prompt 3. It feels good to be in a writing mood once more.

• antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have to say I like the spread of possibilities across all three of these, I really do. Might do one or the other. Tribbles in the Neogene-equivalent sound like fun, if only for the crew's reactions to *if* they missed one.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    edited September 2014
    Well, there's my entry for prompt 3. When I started, pretty much none of that was the story, but I got swept along for the ride on this one. Felt good to be in the zone for writing. Not been in that for months.

edited September 2014
    Bump to remind people there is still an Unofficial LC to do if you're bored!

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP