test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO causing my system to lock up, forcing hard reboot.

This has been going on since the Season 9 update and graphics change.

Now, before you go saying that it is my system, it isn't. STO is the ONLY game that is causing this to happen. Also, having some major graphic issues when I didn't have any before S9, like missing weapons fire during SB24 (not to mention the new lag in it) or in Fleet Alert/Starbase Defense.

None of the other MMO's or SPG's I run have this problem.

My system:
ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Motherboard
AMD FX-8350 8-Core 4GHz (Not OC) Liquid Cooled.
32Gb Patriot Viper DDR3-15000 (1866MHz) (Not OC)
2x Sapphire Radeon HD 7870XT OC Editions running in Crossfire
Crucial M500 240Gb SSD

Running Windows 8.1 OS

All Drivers are updated to latest stable release.

ISP: Comcast Blast50 (50Mbps)
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3700166602.png

Also, the game is causing my CPU to drastically heat up, far more than what it used to. Even the LoR didn't cause much more than a 2 or 3 degree spike upon loading only. Since S9, it has become common for a 10 to 15 degree spike upon loading or engaging in major combat. With S9.5, this has only gotten worse, especially when multiple enemies and friendlies are on the same map. And this is regardless of what I have the settings at for the game.

Please look in to this problem as I really don't want to leave the game.
Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles

Comments

• stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Now, before you go saying that it is my system, it isn't.
    If you experience this problem, but your mates doing fine, it's your computer. It doesn't matter how powerful your rig is, STO needs dozens of dependancies to do it's work, your computer is only as powerful as it's weakest link.
    Also, the game is causing my CPU to drastically heat up
    Yes, this unfortunatly is known and problematic. I have bought a coolpad (I've got an RC730 samsung laptop) for this specific reason.
    Please look in to this problem as I really don't want to leave the game.
    If your computer locks up, there's something gone wrong where your OS wasn't able to fix it by itself.

The first step you've got to take is to open your Event Viewer. Here's a vid how you can find it in your OS.

Look for the exact time & date when your last crash occured, find the error code and post it here. This way people are able to find a possible cause and/or solution to this problem.