test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Cooperative the next Mini Faction?

quiiliitiilaquiiliitiila Member Posts: 309 Arc User
Anyone else think that the Cooperative would/could/may make a great mini-faction like the Romulans? It'd allow people to play a "Borg" faction without actually playing a drone, something that has in the past sparked debate in the whole Borg faction argument.

Since the next expansion is set in the delta quadrant, and the brief history we've been given does say the Cooperative is active, all could lead to a well transitioned faction.

I for one would start playing again for that. I've always wanted a Borg-like faction, playing a liberated klingon and/or human just wasn't cutting it for me. :D

-Quiiliitiila
Post edited by quiiliitiila on

Comments

• xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I despise the very idea.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • quiiliitiilaquiiliitiila Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    I despise the very idea.

Why? Eventually the devs want to have most factions playable, so what's the issue with the Cooperative? They're not Borg per-say, but pretty much like them in most other respects. They keep their individuality, but still have a collective consciousness and implants. Logic would dictate that they also still have borg-like ships and technology. It'd make a lot of borg fans happy, while still keeping the actual Collective as antagonists.

I see no reason against it, aside from wanting other factions to come first. But unfortunately the next expansion's in the delta quadrant so there are no other factions to really release aside from what? Ocampa? Voth? The Borg are the only species from the delta quadrant that players have wanted a faction for with any meaningful base of support, so now that we're here…

If it were a gamma quadrant expansion or just an alpha expansion, there would indeed be other potential factions that would take priority. But it's not.
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The one thing that this game could do that would truly, truly enrage me... is to introduce another faction that is not Cardassian/Dominion based.

Deep Space Nine- the location, the IP, the species involved- is being woefully ignored in STO. It's a great source of content, and they need to give it some love before they introduce any new factions.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Anyone else think that the Cooperative would/could/may make a great mini-faction like the Romulans?

No, but that's mostly because I find the entire "fraction" idea to be an unclean abomination that should be killed with fire no matter who the pretend wannabe faction is.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I despise the very idea.

I second your resentment.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited August 2014
    azniadeet wrote: »
    The one thing that this game could do that would truly, truly enrage me... is to introduce another faction that is not Cardassian/Dominion based.

Deep Space Nine- the location, the IP, the species involved- is being woefully ignored in STO. It's a great source of content, and they need to give it some love before they introduce any new factions.

I agree, but unfortunately the expansion is in the delta quadrant. Might as well make due with what we've got out there right? The Cooperative would be the best suited to a new faction from there, more so than anyone else I can think of.
    No, but that's mostly because I find the entire "fraction" idea to be an unclean abomination that should be killed with fire no matter who the pretend wannabe faction is.

Ha, I feel you on that one. But it seems that "fractions" (nice term btw) are where the devs are going with future expansions. I'd much rather have the Romulans, Cardassians, etc. Have their own full faction, but I don't see that happening any time soon.
  • ishtarscorpioishtarscorpio Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Please....I don't want another round of KDF tears.
  • caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    I second your resentment.

I resoundingly third it. Its a ridiculous idea, desired mainly by teenagers. It breaks me everytime i read about someone wanting a playable 'Borg' faction. It just makes no sense with any of the TV show Borg we have seen at all, and if you desire this then you are no trek fan.

I feel the only reason this latest 'co-operative' twist is seeing the light of day is because of said youngsters crying endlessly they want to fly a cube. Its a disgrace its even being considered.

Borg should not be playable, in any way, shape or form. At most a liberated character of the desired faction like we have now.
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I despise the very idea.

I agree. It would trivialize those who bought the Lifetime subscription.
  • inkrunnerinkrunner Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Those people are already trivialized. I fail to see how this would add to that - after all, this wouldn't allow Liberated Borg Fed/KDF/Roms for free, and that is one of the advertised perks of LTS.
    2iBFtmg.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Obviously members of a Liberated Borg faction wouldn't be able to fly Tier 5 or 6 ships of other factions so the current Liberated Borg have that advantage over them. Would be interesting to see what kind of perk Cryptic would come up with for Lifers in a Liberated Borg faction since you can't be any more Liberated Borg than belonging to a Liberated Borg faction.

While I do expect a Liberated Borg faction to occur at some point in the future if STO lasts long enough, Cardassians and/or Dominion will be first.
  • jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    inkrunner wrote: »
    Those people are already trivialized. I fail to see how this would add to that - after all, this wouldn't allow Liberated Borg Fed/KDF/Roms for free, and that is one of the advertised perks of LTS.

Try this: OH LOOK, LIFERS CAN BE LIBERATED BORG.......OOPS WE'RE JUST GONNA INTRODUCE A WHOLE FACTION OF THEM...SORRY BOUT THAT
    edited August 2014
    caldannach wrote: »
    I resoundingly third it. Its a ridiculous idea, desired mainly by teenagers. It breaks me everytime i read about someone wanting a playable 'Borg' faction. It just makes no sense with any of the TV show Borg we have seen at all, and if you desire this then you are no trek fan.

I feel the only reason this latest 'co-operative' twist is seeing the light of day is because of said youngsters crying endlessly they want to fly a cube. Its a disgrace its even being considered.

Borg should not be playable, in any way, shape or form. At most a liberated character of the desired faction like we have now.

Smooth move trying to equate people who have a different opinion than yourself to children and teens. I forgot how many trolls there were here. The Cooperative was/is canon. They were in Voyager, and after some turmoil proved to be benevolent in nature.

I'm not a Trek fan because I like the Borg? Seriously? People want to play as Cardassians, who for the most part were the Trek equivalent to TRIBBLE. People want some sort of Dominion faction, a faction that trafficked in the wholesale slaughter of anyone who opposed them. People PLAY as Klingons who's race is responsible for millions of deaths, wonton destruction of civilizations and now in STO, the subjugation of other species the conquered.

Compared to that, I see no reason a benevolent CANON Borg spin-off is worse than those other listed factions. In fact, I see NO reason that eventually all the factions can't be played.

I'm a lifer, and I can tell you I most certainly didn't buy the lifetime sub for the Liberated Borg race. I highly doubt anyone bought the lifetime subscription just for that.
  • inkrunnerinkrunner Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Try this: OH LOOK, LIFERS CAN BE LIBERATED BORG.......OOPS WE'RE JUST GONNA INTRODUCE A WHOLE FACTION OF THEM...SORRY BOUT THAT

I highly doubt that people are paying $200-300 just to get the race.

Also, 'whole' faction?
    2iBFtmg.png
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2014

^^ This guy gets it! :D
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Couple thoughts.
    First they mentioned a new homeworld of a species we saw previously on Voyager. A new playable race. But failed to mention who.

There has been a lot of interest in a borg group. So using the Cooperative does answer some of those players. They also said they would not do another faction/fraction yet. So we can assume the new playable race will be available from all three points of reference and belong to that faction and not one of their own. So no special ships and no need for a liberated borg for them. So it is not outside the realm of possibility.

And as a lifer, getting to run a liberated borg was one of the perks that got my attention. The other being the vet destroyers.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • thegcbaconthegcbacon Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Smooth move trying to equate people who have a different opinion than yourself to children and teens. I forgot how many trolls there were here. The Cooperative was/is canon. They were in Voyager, and after some turmoil proved to be benevolent in nature.

I'm not a Trek fan because I like the Borg? Seriously? People want to play as Cardassians, who for the most part were the Trek equivalent to TRIBBLE. People want some sort of Dominion faction, a faction that trafficked in the wholesale slaughter of anyone who opposed them. People PLAY as Klingons who's race is responsible for millions of deaths, wonton destruction of civilizations and now in STO, the subjugation of other species the conquered.

Compared to that, I see no reason a benevolent CANON Borg spin-off is worse than those other listed factions. In fact, I see NO reason that eventually all the factions can't be played.

I'm a lifer, and I can tell you I most certainly didn't buy the lifetime sub for the Liberated Borg race. I highly doubt anyone bought the lifetime subscription just for that.

Cardassians were ruled by "evil" people, they are not an "evil" species. The Borg Cooperative makes little sense as a fraction since they are a collective and not free-willed. Actually the UFP would not even want to work with them since they took away others free-will and freedoms. I highly doubt those, that the "leaders" turned into drones, think the Cooperative is benevolent...except they can no longer express that sentiment. They also used Chakotay against his will for their motives in order to "enslave" their rivals.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ^^ This guy gets it! :D

It is seeming like they had a discussion internally on how to TRIBBLE off every kind of player and call it expansion 2.
    edited August 2014
    thegcbacon wrote: »
    Cardassians were ruled by "evil" people, they are not an "evil" species. The Borg Cooperative makes little sense as a fraction since they are a collective and not free-willed. Actually the UFP would not even want to work with them since they took away others free-will and freedoms. I highly doubt those, that the "leaders" turned into drones, think the Cooperative is benevolent...except they can no longer express that sentiment. They also used Chakotay against his will for their motives in order to "enslave" their rivals.

The Cooperative were free willed, but just connected via their neural network. They retained their individuality, but stayed able to communicate and share knowledge and (I guess) healing abilities. They also really only used Chakotay in order to re-unite the other "factions" on their planet to avoid further destruction and death on all sides. Their planet was barreling toward mutual destruction and they needed to act to avoid that. They aren't wontonly enslaving people.

The Cardassians are actually one of my favorite races, I was just using their status as "bad guys" to prove a point that it doesn't matter the history or public opinion of a race in question, rather that there is always a way to make them playable. Hell, the Klingons were originally released in this game as a PVP only faction. Why? Because the Klingons are typically bad guys. I don't see a difference in wanting to play a Klingon and wanting to play some type of Borg, or Cardassian or even Hirogen.
    edited August 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    We are not going to have a Borg faction because IT DOESNT WORK, all factions have access to some common content, that would mean such Borg faction would have access to the Devidians episodes, simply you have no way to explain how a Delta Quadrant group would be in Drozana working for either Section 31 or Klingon Intelligence BEFORE the Dyson sphere was discovered.

Fair point, but I say time is wonky in STO. Sometimes there is a clear progression of time and then missions come out that took place before a mission you've already done… Luckily, the Dyson Sphere's really the only featured episode that seems to have an obvious point in time that it happened. The other arcs are somewhat nebulous (or can be) with regards to when they happened.
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    They did, its the Kobali.

You know, the guys that make the Borg assimilation looking preferable because at least the Borg have the decency of just controlling your body and imprison your mind, the Kobali have to TRIBBLE around with your genes and you being entirely aware of what happened.

At least with the Borg you can be liberated, there is no escape to what the Kobali do to you ...

The only visit I want to make to that homeworld is to Thalaron it, ashes to ashes indeed when I am done,.

We are not going to have a Borg faction because IT DOESNT WORK, all factions have access to some common content, that would mean such Borg faction would have access to the Devidians episodes, simply you have no way to explain how a Delta Quadrant group would be in Drozana working for either Section 31 or Klingon Intelligence BEFORE the Dyson sphere was discovered.

So I get to be a formerly dead human or Klingon. . . oookaay. I hope they will go into how the Kobali are a created species. (Any species needing a lab to breed is not a species that evolved that way.)

So how does adding any Delta quadrant race work? If any of them join up and they get access then there is the time slip you are mentioning. I mean when they did LoR they very carefully put into the intro that 'oh yeah this was totally happening when the class of 2409 was graduating and there was a prisoner transfer on a couple Klingon ships. .."

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    feiqa wrote: »
    So I get to be a formerly dead human or Klingon. . . oookaay. I hope they will go into how the Kobali are a created species. (Any species needing a lab to breed is not a species that evolved that way.)

So how does adding any Delta quadrant race work? If any of them join up and they get access then there is the time slip you are mentioning. I mean when they did LoR they very carefully put into the intro that 'oh yeah this was totally happening when the class of 2409 was graduating and there was a prisoner transfer on a couple Klingon ships. .."

There's potential for a Foundry story where someone is trying to have their loved one, comrade, etc. resurrected by the Kobali, perhaps without fully understanding the ramifications of doing so.

The Kobali "fountain of resurrection"... ;)
  • sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If they were to release a playable Borg Faction of any kind I would think they would hype it up more. They have officially announced Delta Rising and when they announced Legacy of Romulus they announced that Romulans would be a playable faction. That was the big thing last expansion. The big thing this time is the level cap increase.
    y1arXbh.png

• zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sle1989 wrote: »
    If they were to release a playable Borg Faction of any kind I would think they would hype it up more. They have officially announced Delta Rising and when they announced Legacy of Romulus they announced that Romulans would be a playable faction. That was the big thing last expansion. The big thing this time is the level cap increase.

What they are doing might drive away too many people is why they have been slowly building up to this to get whatever money they can out of what they are doing before they reset the baseline of ships and gear. Once it goes viral though the hype will begin trust me lol. Usually a month before release they lost a huge chunk of the player base and then a small percentage of them return. They use these metrics and reason why they are being vague until the targ doodoo hits the fan. If you were not here for launch of Season 5 you will understand why their has been such a communications blackout and why D'angelo has returned.
    edited August 2014
    The only race that works is the Hirogen since they were already in the Beta Quadrant for a while, some Federation missions even have then as the enemy.

Other ones? none ... there is no contact, the only possible reason would be being prisoners of the Hirogen that were brought to the Beta Quadrant for hunt and either escaped or were liberated.

But only faction that would be possible would be the Hirogen, everyone else is too far away to be involved with the politics of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.

See, I agree with you. However, going forward this mindset just WILL NOT WORK. Damn straight any other factions from other parts of the galaxy would be at best apathetic to the current story line , and that's the problem. The devs don't want to take the time to actually add new FULL factions with their own story arc and possible connections to the other story arcs. They're attempting to shoehorn all the factions/races into the frankly ancient stories they've had since launch.

They need to cut their losses and make full factions from here on out, no matter how long it takes. It's what's necessary to progress the story and allow players to choose how they experience the Trek world, not how the devs want them to.
  • ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    azniadeet wrote: »

How would a Cardassian/Dominion Faction even work? Those who supported a Cardassian-Dominion Alliance are either Dead, On the Lamb or in Prison. And the Cardassians who survived the end of the War would have every reason to resent the Dominion.

And what would you really do with the Dominion besides shoehorn them into an Alliance with the Alpha/Beta Quadrant powers against the Iconians. Because that seems to be the direction the Devs are taking thanks to years of whining about the Klingons and Feds being at war. Because the Devs cant come up with some believable reasons for a war....Even though we all know the Klingons really dont need a reason. But we'll pretend that thats not the case cause....
    'DA WAR IS STUUUUPId!!!!'.

I honestly just dont see a reason for another faction. We're not going to get what we deserve. Its going to be another New Romulus where youre forced to choose KDF or Feds at level 10 and from there on out. Your factions role in the region is overshadowed by your Puppet Master Faction.

As for the Cooperative...I find the idea of them being a Faction just as absurd as the Ocampans being 'allies' to the Federation/Klingons as if they have anything to offer. The last we see of the Cooperative they were the equivelent of a Third World Nation ravaged by lawlessness and lack of any resources on a barren planet. I cant accept any reasonable explanation how they leaped and bound over decades and maybe centuries worth of problem solving to become a Faction.
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I despise the very idea.

Agreed with this very statement. I would hate to see the Borg (Collective, Cooperative, or otherwise) be marginalized in such a way as the Romulans! It's utterly despicable!
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
    edited August 2014

As for the Cooperative...I find the idea of them being a Faction just as absurd as the Ocampans being 'allies' to the Federation/Klingons as if they have anything to offer. The last we see of the Cooperative they were the equivelent of a Third World Nation ravaged by lawlessness and lack of any resources on a barren planet. I cant accept any reasonable explanation how they leaped and bound over decades and maybe centuries worth of problem solving to become a Faction.

You make a very good point, one that I'll endeavor to come up with a solution for. The way I see it, as a network of joined (yet individual) minds, the Cooperative are probably able to accomplish tasks at astonishing rates. Everyone's in sync (much like the true Borg) yet they retain their individuality which in turn allows for intuition and innovation. Their planet may have been a barren one, but that's not to say once they began working together they couldn't have found greater resources that were previously inaccessible to them. Plus, they have the wreckage of a Borg cube and various bits of Borg technology to salvage/reproduce and learn from.

Seems like a fairly sound inference from what we know.
  • benben500benben500 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You make a very good point, one that I'll endeavor to come up with a solution for. The way I see it, as a network of joined (yet individual) minds, the Cooperative are probably able to accomplish tasks at astonishing rates. Everyone's in sync (much like the true Borg) yet they retain their individuality which in turn allows for intuition and innovation. Their planet may have been a barren one, but that's not to say once they began working together they couldn't have found greater resources that were previously inaccessible to them. Plus, they have the wreckage of a Borg cube and various bits of Borg technology to salvage/reproduce and learn from.

Seems like a fairly sound inference from what we know.

If I remember correctly, the Cooperative did not consist of individual minds. Didn't they create a mini-collective with all the Borg on the planet? After that all the drones started working together. If they were still individuals, they would still have fought each other. Also, the cube was destroyed, so it would probably be random pieces of debris mostly orbiting the planet. The cooperative had no other ships (although they could possibly construct more after much time).

That, and playable Borg is ridiculous. They are still drones.
    "Bloody explorers, ponce off to Mumbo Jumbo land, come home with a tropical disease, a suntan and a bag of brown lumpy things, and Bob's your uncle, everyone's got a picture of them in the lavatory."
    -Edmund Blackadder-
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Anyone who did is probably an idiot. Granted, it's their money to spend as they see fit, but just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean that something isn't dumb.

But just because dropping between $200 and $300 for one playable race is crazy doesn't mean introducing a whole faction of Liberated Borg wouldn't be pretty damn insulting and would devalue one of the perks of being LTS. There's just no reasonable way to do a Cooperative faction that isn't going to step on an LTS's toes.

Best you'll get is a Cooperative lockbox, but even that better be released simultaneously with new Borg stuff for LTS.