test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Toggle FAW

tinkerbelchtinkerbelch Member Posts: 138 Arc User
I would love to see Fire At Will as a toggle ability. But steps would need to be taken to keep it from being even more OP.

Maybe the downside of keeping FAW on all the time would be the cool-down it adds to other tactical skills. If timed right with other abilities, this would still allow the crazy dps spamming of tact captain aux2batt, FAW, DEM, Plasma, leach builds, and still keep them relevant while helping other builds.

It just seems to me the cooldown is too long for this skill. and by making it a toggle, we make this a much more useful skill.

Plus it would be much more situation dependent, because you would have to turn FAW off (and wait the cooldown) in order to use other helpful tact abilities on single targets.
After the cooldowns, you could still trigger all tactical abilties before you toggle FAW back on.

Your thoughts?
Post edited by tinkerbelch on

Comments

• Options
    eeh19eeh19 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I would love to see Fire At Will as a toggle ability. But steps would need to be taken to keep it from being even more OP.

Maybe the downside of keeping FAW on all the time would be the cool-down it adds to other tactical skills. If timed right with other abilities, this would still allow the crazy dps spamming of tact captain aux2batt, FAW, DEM, Plasma, leach builds, and still keep them relevant while helping other builds.

It just seems to me the cooldown is too long for this skill. and by making it a toggle, we make this a much more useful skill.

Plus it would be much more situation dependent, because you would have to turn FAW off (and wait the cooldown) in order to use other helpful tact abilities on single targets.
    After the cooldowns, you could still trigger all tactical abilties before you toggle FAW back on.

Your thoughts?

my thoughts are your mental......
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Can you just discuss the topic instead of calling someone mental?
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Terrible idea.

Do you really need an explanation as to why it would be a bad idea?

Cooldown is fine as is, it yields the most dps in the game...

Poor train of thought process here...

Think about how it would be OP. You acknowledge that this would make it more OP...

No, I can't go on
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    All of the non-targetable abilities should be persistent toggles. They should consume some kind of resource (something like Weapon Power), so that you have to think about if you should turn it on or off.

Lets just say it is very unlikely to happen here in the foreseeable future
  • Options
    tgo533tgo533 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If you need a faster cool down, get doffs for that, or use two copies. You can run this 20 seconds out of 30... repeated.

Its a 30 second cool down... one of the lower cool downs for a powerful skill and you wonder why you get these responses?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    What about the other stuff besides cooldown specifically?
  • Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If you are lazy than put 2x FAW on spacebar keybind and you have your toggle.

The best way to dumb space shooter.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think it's a interesting aproach, but to be honest it wouldn't be easy to implement a mechanic like this.
    In fact i think it would work much better in a simulation like game, STO is far away from that.

Too many ppl. playing STO are used to have a power+cooldown mechanic. STO is still too much like WOW in space in this case.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Weapon auto-fire is a persistent toggle. Firing modes shouldnt be? Set the firing mode to FAW, always do reduced damage to multiple targets ... remember to turn it off.

Pets are persistent toggle (almost persistent).

Its not that strange. The biggest hurdles are the design time and dev time to implement rebalanced mechanics, plus cryptic lurvs their pokemon combat, which is why it wont happen.