Install Arc
Options

Intrepid Interior

Comments

• Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    We're working on it. The old one is old. And busted. We're going to try and make up a new MSD that fits the current 2410 LCARS colors and styling. It's not even on tribble yet, give us some time.

I'd just like to say, I'd prefer if the bridge and engineering did not have an Intrepid MSD. Then I wouldn't want to use the interior with a different type of ship :(
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yeesh. . .

You have far greater patience than me Taco, Im sat reading some of these
    posts with genuine sympathetic exasperation. My pronounciation of 'Yeesh'
    has developed extra syllables, takes more than a few moments to say, and
    and has upset my cat lol.

you can only work with the tools you are given, and it is greatly appreciated.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    qziqza wrote: »
    You have far greater patience than me Taco, Im sat reading some of these
    posts with genuine sympathetic exasperation. My pronounciation of 'Yeesh'
    has developed extra syllables, takes more than a few moments to say, and
    and has upset my cat lol.

you can only work with the tools you are given, and it is greatly appreciated.

Psst, you got a little something on your nose. ;)

Seriously, I and everyone (well most everyone) here really do appreciate Taco and the other's hard work. But when we are talking about something we are likely to buy and its lauded as "authentic", we want it to be as accurate as possible. No shortcuts!

We learned that lesson once before and we don't want to repeat it ever again.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Psst, you got a little something on your nose. ;)

...we want it to be as accurate as possible. No shortcuts!

'accurate as possible' totally agree, just keep in mind that the 'possible' isnt just down
    to final aesthetics, there are many other factors involved as has been discussed already.

also, i am somewhat bemused at your insinuation of me being a brown nose. Where I
    come from, expressing a little sympathy for persons plight, and conveying some simple
    gratitude at the work being done for the benefit of me and others is called being polite
    and having good manners.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    qziqza wrote: »
    also, i am somewhat bemused at your insinuation of me being a brown nose. Where I come from, expressing a little sympathy for persons plight, and conveying some simple gratitude at the work being done for the benefit of me and others is called being polite and having good manners.

You're taking our posts as too literal, Taco knows when we are josh'n and when we are serious. Hence his "Yeesh".

But please don't pretend to be polite when its an disguised insult to the others who posted here who are giving valid criticism.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    You're taking our posts as too literal, Taco knows when we are josh'n and when we are serious. Hence his "Yeesh".

But please don't pretend to be polite when its an disguised insult to the others who posted here who are giving valid criticism.

what do you mean pretending to be polite? and exactly whose posts have i critisized? ive mentioned no
    names, nor specific posts, and you cant tell me there every post on here is deserving of being called
    valid or reasonable, it can be seen in taco's posts that he is getting somewhat exasperated with things
    and bearing up really well under it.. my post was directed at Taco and noone else, you are trying to put
    context or find some sort of personal insult in my commnet that just isnt there
    tYld1gu.gif?1
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So since Airponics isn't there it's safe to assume the Borg Alcoves won't be there either?

If so, that's a shame, a fleet mate likes to run as if he and his entire crew are liberated, partially de-borged, borg and I know he'd get a kick out of finally having access to some alcoves.
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Wait. . . you don't want this Intrepid class, properly scaled interior. . . because there are OTHER interiors that are not properly scaled? :confused:

He feels that the lay of the land on this matter is that Cryptic will continue to make *new*, properly scaled interiors, and ignore all the old interiors that weren't properly scaled- so I guess the beef is the idea that the old interiors will never be fixed, because it's more profitable to you guys to just make new interiors and ignore the old ones.

I have no strong feelings one way or another on the matter, but I can see his concern.
  • Options
    sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    foundrelic wrote: »
    So since Airponics isn't there it's safe to assume the Borg Alcoves won't be there either?

If so, that's a shame, a fleet mate likes to run as if he and his entire crew are liberated, partially de-borged, borg and I know he'd get a kick out of finally having access to some alcoves.

Well those were unique too Voyager's situation, so it would make sense if they were not included. Of course, Astrometrics was unique to Voyager as well and we have seen screenshots of it as well. Wasn't it said at STLV that we could have the mess hall include either Neelix's kitchen or not? Perhaps these two things could be like that. We could have a cargo bay that is either a normal cargo bay, Airponics, or Borg Alcoves.
    y1arXbh.png

• Options
    blevokblevok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sle1989 wrote: »
    Well those were unique too Voyager's situation, so it would make sense if they were not included. Of course, Astrometrics was unique to Voyager as well and we have seen screenshots of it as well. Wasn't it said at STLV that we could have the mess hall include either Neelix's kitchen or not? Perhaps these two things could be like that. We could have a cargo bay that is either a normal cargo bay, Airponics, or Borg Alcoves.

sounds like a money maker to me... with some standard placeholder switches in common ship areas, there could be a whole range of add-on modules that could be sold. one exciting option that i can think of for this type of functionality is turning a cargobay into a shuttlebay...
    Fleet: Stargate-Union
    Pizza: Pepperoni
    Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu
  • Options
    tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Judging from the picture, the new Intrepid Bridge does look rather accurate. Except one very notable flaw.............. there is no Intrepid MSD in the center of the screens. :P

Even the faux Intrepid bridge had it. :rolleyes:

Which is a good thing in my opinion. The ship displays make it silly when I use it with a different ship class or even a custom ship design. Wish they would go through all of the bridges and removed the ship overlays from the screens.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Which is a good thing in my opinion. The ship displays make it silly when I use it with a different ship class or even a custom ship design. Wish they would go through all of the bridges and removed the ship overlays from the screens.

But what of those who want the MSD for their Intrepids? Just ignore them?
  • Options
    gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited August 2014

The Faux intrepid bridge (I assume he means Delta, Wanderer, etc.) didn't even have the Intrepid MSD, it had another ship.

Maybe no MSD is best. Besides...I'd rather they work on getting trophies in, instead of getting distracted.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2014

And what about those who want to use the Intrepid bridge on a Bellerophon? Or a Cochrane? Or a Miranda?

MSDS FOR ALL! :rolleyes:
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm actually happy about the missing MSD... LAY DOWN THE PITCHFORK!

But no, really. I love new interior designs and the less unique ship identifiers are shown the more usable it is on multible ships; same with seperated bridge <> interior i.e. adding different bridges to interiors. Which reminds me that nobody has spilled the beans yet about bridge choice with the intrepid interior.

But back to MSD. What I hope (wishful thinking :P) for in the future that MSD screens on all bridges/interiors have a standart size and can be customized. Like with a dropdown menue where you can select different classes to be displayed. My tiny bit backstreet programmer knowledge tells me that this should not be that hard to do; might be wrong.

It probably did not even has to be standart size; the ship picture loaded in the MSDs could be automatically scaled the MSD screen size.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I'm actually happy about the missing MSD... LAY DOWN THE PITCHFORK!

But no, really. I love new interior designs and the less unique ship identifiers are shown the more usable it is on multible ships; same with seperated bridge <> interior i.e. adding different bridges to interiors. Which reminds me that nobody has spilled the beans yet about bridge choice with the intrepid interior.

But back to MSD. What I hope (wishful thinking :P) for in the future that MSD screens on all bridges/interiors have a standart size and can be customized. Like with a dropdown menue where you can select different classes to be displayed. My tiny bit backstreet programmer knowledge tells me that this should not be that hard to do; might be wrong.

It probably did not even has to be standart size; the ship picture loaded in the MSDs could be automatically scaled the MSD screen size.

It seems that the issue is time constraints and not what they can or cant do.
    I wish they had more time for this interior.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

I like this idea. Perhaps a variation of the trophy system?
  • Options
    mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    hail tacofangs !!!! there now that is out of the way,i just wanna say i like my TOS interior , i WILL take a look at what new stuff that hits holodeck but i just haven't seen ANYTHING that currently has that close in ' starship ' feel except the TOS interior.

impress the playerbase with the intrepid taco and you know that it'll sell.

Live long and prosper, taco

*****peace*****

and btw Hail Ba'al......
  • Options
    choromyslnychoromyslny Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    But back to MSD. What I hope (wishful thinking :P) for in the future that MSD screens on all bridges/interiors have a standart size and can be customized. Like with a dropdown menue where you can select different classes to be displayed.automatically scaled the MSD screen size.
    Sort of like selecting a wall trophy based on the various ships?
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I like this idea. Perhaps a variation of the trophy system?

Sort of like selecting a wall trophy based on the various ships?

Yes. Somewhere at the ship should be a master control panel (Captains chair maybe) where you click "MSD Setup" and then choose between "unspecified" (like it is on the Voy screen; for ships that don't have any yet) and MSD types available (ie. "Intrepid" or "Galaxy"). Then they get shown on all MSD screens which are linked to the selector.

Another tradeoff I can think of is it would not add much pressure to Cryptic. If that system is set they could add new MSDs whenever they have time.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2014
    So you guys are working on the MSD. Guess it contradicts the reddit post. :D

Huh?

Technically........ it is.

I mean if you put a camera on the opposite side of the wall (with no windows), and display the video on a screen on the opposite end, doesn't that make it a window? ;)

Yes, but that would still be a 2D image, which is what we have already. If you want parallax as you look into the viewscreen, that literally has to be a hole cut into the wall, which is not what we're doing.

With fan recreations you can't, but you can with screenshots directly from the show. Not actually saying reuse that exact picture, just use it as a template to speed up the recreation.

Besides, you ask Doug Drexler for a copy of his Intrepid MSD that he provided Memory Alpha? ;)

There actually are no usable shots of the MSD from the show. Certainly we can reference it, and we do. Doug Drexler's work is his own, it is still not something we have license to use.

blevok wrote: »
    a 3d starfield has depth. it changes according to your perspective. walk to the left and you see more stars beyond the right edge of the screen. i'm sure some would say that it cant happen like that because it's just a flat viewscreen, but in fact, the viewscreen on voyager, and probably most newer ships is actually a holographic grid capable of displaing 3d views generated by the ships sensors.
    the defiant bridge has just a flat picture of white dots. it feels like a picture on the wall and not a live display of space.
    on the other hand, the runabout bridge has a real view that acts as i described. it even has a bit of a doppler effect, with the closer stars elongated and moving, though not color shifted.
    i havent been on any other bridge lately, but i feel like i've seen others that have the good version.

I've gone over this quite a bit before, I really don't want to rehash it all here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=11997601&postcount=53

The Intrepid viewscreen will not be a hole cut in the wall, it will be an image, as 95% of the other bridges are.
    illcadia wrote: »
    He feels that the lay of the land on this matter is that Cryptic will continue to make *new*, properly scaled interiors, and ignore all the old interiors that weren't properly scaled- so I guess the beef is the idea that the old interiors will never be fixed, because it's more profitable to you guys to just make new interiors and ignore the old ones.

I have no strong feelings one way or another on the matter, but I can see his concern.

Well. . . that is likely true. If you buy a car, and the company then makes a better car, with some new widgets, you don't expect the company to upgrade your car, right? I mean, if your car has some crippling, dangerous problem, they might pay to fix that, but they're not going to go back and add airbags or an MP3 player to an older model.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    theparanoidtheparanoid Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Well. . . that is likely true. If you buy a car, and the company then makes a better car, with some new widgets, you don't expect the company to upgrade your car, right? I mean, if your car has some crippling, dangerous problem, they might pay to fix that, but they're not going to go back and add airbags or an MP3 player to an older model.

True but then the also not going to take our Radio player out and toss in scrap bin because it old, outdate and TRIBBLE.

Say like Exploration Content.

Of course that said at least federation has 2 soon to be three decent ship intro. The Klingon. Well there the KDF. They do not need anything like that.
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So you guys are working on the MSD. Guess it contradicts the reddit post. :D)

No it doesn't, the post said they were not making a whole new SET of LCARS. It didn't say anything about not making a MSD.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Well, a 2D image is all we need really.
  • Options
    blevokblevok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've gone over this quite a bit before, I really don't want to rehash it all here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=11997601&postcount=53

The Intrepid viewscreen will not be a hole cut in the wall, it will be an image, as 95% of the other bridges are.

ok well if the rest of the bridge/interior does proper justice to voyager, and the viewscreen is the only thing i have to complain about, i'll be pretty darn happy.

however something else just occurred to me... what about windows? there's large windows in the briefing room, ready room, mess hall, quarters, etc... are these all going to be flat pictures? that seems unlikely, it would look really weird. so if it can/will be done for the windows, then why not the viewscreen?

in response to the "hole in the wall / seeing things you shouldnt see outside the window" issue, i'd like to reference the method that they sometimes used in the shows to achieve the 3d look.

imagine a ball, cut in half and placed over the exterior of the window. the ball-half is slightly larger than the window, and the inside surface of the ball is lined with the starfield picture.

now in the shows, it was actually just a flat surface, but that only worked because the viewing angles were controlled. if you were to walk too close to the window and look to the side, you could see the edge of the flat starfield picture. so in the case of a game, it would have to be a spherical shape that would totally enclose the outside of the window.

would something like this not work?

edit: we also saw this method demonstrated in stratagem to fool degra
    Fleet: Stargate-Union
    Pizza: Pepperoni
    Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Most standard bridges actually have windows with space and not just a flat texture.
    Only the viewscreen is a flat texture, which is a bit stupid as it's supposed to show a 3d reconstruction of a given area.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Yes, but that would still be a 2D image, which is what we have already. If you want parallax as you look into the viewscreen, that literally has to be a hole cut into the wall, which is not what we're doing.

Well, whatever makes it work. I mean it does nice with the Origin and all. :P
    There actually are no usable shots of the MSD from the show. Certainly we can reference it, and we do. Doug Drexler's work is his own, it is still not something we have license to use.

Didn't say steal from Drexler, I said "ask him" for a copy. :rolleyes:

tuskin67 wrote: »
    No it doesn't, the post said they were not making a whole new SET of LCARS. It didn't say anything about not making a MSD.

But some people actually think the MSD is part of the LCARS - I.E. the background. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    foundrelic wrote: »

Yeah, that's something I'd like to have as well, as I play de-Borged crew as well... wouldn't mind paying some Zen even, to have those included...
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2014
    however something else just occurred to me... what about windows? there's large windows in the briefing room, ready room, mess hall, quarters, etc... are these all going to be flat pictures? that seems unlikely, it would look really weird. so if it can/will be done for the windows, then why not the viewscreen?

No, windows will be windows. The Ready Room, Briefing Room, Mess Hall and Captain's Quarters all have windows that look out into space. The problems I have with doing that for the viewscreen is twofold.

First, if we cut a hole, so that you are just looking out into space, then it is, in fact, a window. I don't think there is anyway for me to make it feel like a "Holographic Projection." It will feel like there is a hole in the hull, looking into space.

Secondly, that hole, will be looking out, in the same direction as your Briefing Room and Ready Room. Since the windows all face the same direction, the Viewscreen will be looking out over the hull of the ship. This is not something that we EVER saw in Voyager (except when the front of the bridge was blown open, making an actual hole).

Again, the PROPER way to do a "holographic" viewscreen, would be using Portal Tech, where we have a separate camera, somewhere else in the map, that projects IT'S view, as a texture, onto that 2D plane of the viewscreen.

A hole cut in the wall is a very poor facsimile for that.

And thanks for making me rehash all of the stuff I said I didn't want to get into again here.

in response to the "hole in the wall / seeing things you shouldnt see outside the window" issue, i'd like to reference the method that they sometimes used in the shows to achieve the 3d look.

imagine a ball, cut in half and placed over the exterior of the window. the ball-half is slightly larger than the window, and the inside surface of the ball is lined with the starfield picture.

now in the shows, it was actually just a flat surface, but that only worked because the viewing angles were controlled. if you were to walk too close to the window and look to the side, you could see the edge of the flat starfield picture. so in the case of a game, it would have to be a spherical shape that would totally enclose the outside of the window.

would something like this not work?

edit: we also saw this method demonstrated in stratagem to fool degra

This is essentially how all of our skies work already. They are domes, projected into the background.

The problem with doing that for Voyager's Bridge, is, as you've already pointed out, the Briefing Room and Ready Room, which have windows that look out in the same direction. If we put a big dome over the viewscreen, you would be able to see that dome, from the back side, from the other two rooms. That wouldn't look right.

The other issue is, unless that dome is huge, the perspective and parallax from your camera as you move around the bridge, would destroy the illusion, and it would be very obvious that you're just looking out at a small dome.

gurluas wrote: »
    Most standard bridges actually have windows with space and not just a flat texture.
    Only the viewscreen is a flat texture, which is a bit stupid as it's supposed to show a 3d reconstruction of a given area.

Again, A viewscreen is NOT meant to be a view of what is on the other side of the wall. It is a view from sensors (or a camera) somewhere else on the ship. They can use a viewscreen to look behind them, or to the side. And if they look out the front, they are doing so from the front of the ship, they are not showing you the hull of the ship, on the other side of the wall.

Well, whatever makes it work. I mean it does nice with the Origin and all. :P

Yes, but that is SUPPOSED to be a window. It FEELS like a window. It does not feel like a holographic projection.

Didn't say steal from Drexler, I said "ask him" for a copy. :rolleyes:

There are plenty of MSDs that we can use for reference. Drexler's included. We don't need to get files directly from him to put one together ourselves. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's something I'd like to have as well, as I play de-Borged crew as well... wouldn't mind paying some Zen even, to have those included...

We have tried to be very careful in distinguishing "Voyager" from "Intrepid Class." YOU do not fly Voyager. You Fly an Intrepid Class ship called the USS Whatever. Airponics, Borgified Cargobay, etc. are all modifications VOYAGER made themselves while they were stranded in the DQ. The average Intrepid Class will not have those.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg