What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Intrepid Interior

Comments

• Options
    birzarkbirzark Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    With all the love of Voyagers interior will we see anything for the delta flyer?
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    What Voyager interior?! Other than seeing one or two (very low-res) images, I have no clue here. Will these be a bridge we can use for our ships? (Presumably a Voyager type Tier 6 ship) Or will it just be like a cut-scene bridge?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Yes and no. We based the hallways on what was actually built on Stages 8 and 9. So, there is one curved hallway, outside of sickbay. The rest are straight, as per the show.

Remember, Voyager is a bigger ship, and there are many more interior corridors, that have no need to follow the exterior shape of the ship.

Similar to above. We built what they built. (mostly) So, there is a Bridge, a Ready Room, and a Briefing Room. The Bridge and the Briefing Room each have curved hallways that supposedly led off to other areas on Deck 1. These short halls exist, but simply lead to doors. We did not build the rest of Deck 1. To my knowledge there isn't even a canonical floorplan for what's back there.

Mostly, yes. There is no steaming coffee pot, but I did leave a thermos (as shown on Janeway's desk in the show) on the desk.

The armrest/monitor is there, but it will auto deploy when you approach the command chairs.

Everything is sittable (except in some missions)

Not quite. Deck 2 includes the Mess Hall and the Transporter room.

Deck 3 has the Captain's Quarters and Sickbay.

Deck 11 has Engineering and Astrometrics.

I went over this before in another thread, but essentially, design dictated that we only had 3 decks to play with (other than the Bridge). So we had to make concessions. As such, rooms with windows (Mess Hall, Captain's Quarters), and critical components (Engineering) were left on their appropriate deck, and the less critical rooms (Sickbay, Transporter, Astrometrics) were moved to those decks.

Think of it this way. Those other rooms were on other decks for Voyager. But YOUR Intrepid class ship, 40 years later, may have been rearranged a bit.

Pretty much, yes.

Sickbay is not centrally located on the deck. As per your earlier demand that the curved hallways match the hull of the ship, the hallway outside of Sickbay is curved such that Sickbay would have to be toward the exterior of the ship, not the interior. It is on the same level as the Captain's Quarters, and since the Captain's Quarters is centrally located on the ship, the Sickbay is off to the Starboard side.

We are only building out the Captain's Quarters. We are not building a full ship. This is similar to other Ship Interiors. Only key locations are represented. There are doors to imply that the ship extends on.

The Transporter Room is on Deck 2, with the Mess Hall. Yes, it should be on Deck 4, but again, we were only given 3 decks to work with, so we grouped things as naturally as we could.

I'm not sure what you're looking for here. Do you actually want to crawl through tubes? or just make it look like they are accessible?

By and large, Voyager's Jefferies Tubes were behind panels. We have not created any sections of Jefferies Tubes, but you can claim access points where ever you want.

The Holodeck is not being included at this time. Trophies are also not being added to this interior at this time.

Point 1: We probably won't have time to create multiple Astrometrics screens that you can swap between. As it is, it shows the galaxy map, similar to that shown at the beginning of Year of Hell.

Part 2: Yes, The Mess Hall, and the Captain's Quarters (as well as the Briefing and Ready Rooms) have windows to the exterior (including the visible sections of Voyager's Hull.

Airponics and the Shuttlebay are not included at this time.

Engineering is reasonably accurate. The upper section will be accessible via a click on the ladder, or the lift. Unfortunately, we can't do moving platforms, so we can't make the lift actually work.

Again, no Jefferies Tubes are included at this time.

Again, not included. This is YOUR Intrepid we're talking about, not VOYAGER. Voyager converted a Cargo Bay INTO Airponics, when they realized how long they would be traveling through space.

Again, not included. Since it isn't a part of other interiors, it's not being constructed at this time.

Putting Player Ship Interiors into the Foundry is not easy. ALL Player Ship Interiors are located on a single map. That means that, even if we ported it to the Foundry now, if/when we add more to the map, it wouldn't be added to the Foundry.

Hey Taco, I've been advocating for more attention to ship interiors since I first came to the forums, so I'm really happy to hear and see about the intrepid interior. There's an awesome amount of effort and thought that's been put into this one, and I can't wait to see it in game. Cryptic as a whole has my gratitude as player for hearing my and others' like me requests in this department, and kudos to you on a job well done.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    I think the chances are very, very, very likely that this will be a bridge/interior pack you can get for your ship. :)

Let's hope you're right. :)

It will, incidentally, also prove Tacofangs wrong, about ppl not being interested in bridges. If you build a *good* bridge, ppl will buy it.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Putting Player Ship Interiors into the Foundry is not easy. ALL Player Ship Interiors are located on a single map. That means that, even if we ported it to the Foundry now, if/when we add more to the map, it wouldn't be added to the Foundry.

Are you guys planning to add to the player interior Intrepid map after release?
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    In the end, its not a accurate rendering of Voyager interior as shown on screen because locations on decks are changed because they had to fit in 3 decks.

By that logic, it wouldn't be an accurate rendering of what was shown on screen unless we simply built the exact floor plan for the studio. Never once did they "Show on Screen" that the Transporters were on Deck 4, or that Astrometrics was on Deck 8. What they showed was a short segment of hallway, and then the room. And they used the same hallways over and over again for different rooms.

It's possible. Rooms on the Constitution got moved around when it got the refit. But ever since then, the Trek Production crew made certain common rooms stay in the same locations. And since the Intrepid-class didn't have any structural changes over the years, I'd assume that everything was where it was in Voyager. A good example would be modern navel vessels, all rooms are in the same location on ships of the same class. Surely it would be the same in Star Trek as well.

I mean look at sickbay, it's meant to be deep in the ship so it was one of the safe locations. But now its on Deck 3, so it's not exactly a safe spot, since it's close to the hull. :P
    puttenham wrote: »
    while I don't mind you guys merging decks and making things like this easier for the game.. (I honestly don't)

your statement is pretty off. I am a retired naval vet, who served on two different ships, both the same class, and in my leangthy time in the service, the deck layout of those ships did not change one but.. there was no difference from one Ticonderoga to the next..

this would likely translate into ships of the future as well..

Sure, all navy vessels keep their rooms in the same spot, for the same class. But Voyager was stuck out in space for 7 years, and they made adjustments/additions themselves. I can easily envision Astrometrics being moved to a better location upon an official Intrepid refit, vs. where the Voyager Crew had room for it at the time they built it.

Sickbay was on Deck 5, and due to the hallway curve outside of sickbay, it's obvious that it's on the outer side, toward the hull. That's hardly deep within the ship. We moved it up 2 decks.

military ships are not like houses where you repaint, repurpose rooms, and put additions on if you don't like something.. they are built, and any changes that need to be made, are usually put into consideration with a new class of ship.. sure, this doesn't mean that if they want to add missiles or a new technology that they wouldn't add that in, but, the basic layout stays the same.. med bay is where med bay is, like the crew quarters, the mess, and the bridge..

I love ya taco, just trying to keep you thinking realistically lol...

and again, I have no problems with you guys condensing and moving stuff around in order to make it play nice with the game engine..

They aren't like houses now, because we spend years welding huge pieces of metal together. In the Star Trek Future, (400 years from now) where things are built more modularly, and can be more easily swapped out, I have no problem imagining a refit that includes rearranging some rooms to make room for new stuff.

Look at Cruise Ships for example. The individual cabins are built as self contained units. The hull of the ship has slots for them, and when they are installed, they literally just lift up a nearly complete cabin, and slide it into place. There's no reason some of those cabins couldn't be swapped out for newer/better versions, or rearranged to make space for something else at a major, drydock, refitting of the ship.

cptdungeon wrote: »
    Personally I really enjoy having the ability to display trophies inside my ship. It's a nice touch of customization to the otherwise bleak options associated with the interiors of ships. Plus, it's nice to say, "Hey! I did this and it was awesome!"

Taco, if it's a mess why don't you guys try to fix it? The game's already been streamlined and refined so much in the last year, I'd say this one feature is due for a look.

Just not a priority. We have many other things to work on.

foundrelic wrote: »
    Wait, What?

Why would we need them to be sittable during missions unless missions are taking place inside the ship?

Taco, are you going to get in trouble for that little leak?

Stop reading between lines that aren't there. Chairs on the Player Ship Interior are sittable. Chairs in missions, probably aren't. The End.

ransom2375 wrote: »

Not quite, but I did get a chuckle when I rewatched that episode while building the interior.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2014
    gurluas wrote: »
    Taco, isn't it possible to copy a map?
    If so, just copy the interior map and add it to the foundry aaand...Bingo, all interiors immediately available. Then just copy the map again when new interiors are added.

Heres my wishlist:

1. Reconsideration regarding the mess hall trophies, OR...at least adding the two trophy shelves in the Ready room.
    2. Jeffries tube access points leading to other sections of the ship, a bit like the TOS interior.
    (I.E theres a jeffries tube entry in the sickbay that leads to engineering for instance)

Yes, we can copy a map, that's how ALL UGC maps get made. But if we copy it now, and then update it later, then we have to copy it again, now we have 2, nearly identical maps (save for the changes) in the foundry at once. Then we change it again, an copy it again. This becomes a problem. If we copied the modified version OVER the existing map, it would likely break every mission taking place there. Please believe me when I say there is not a simple solution in this case.

We really don't have any time to go making Jefferies Tubes right now. If we had a use for them in a mission, maybe, but just making them for making them sake is kind of a waste at the moment.

reyan01 wrote: »
    Interested in the comment "Everything is sittable (except in some missions)" - implies that said interior MIGHT be used in a FE or mission?

Query to Taco, should he be kind enough to address this; Harry Kim and the USS Rhode Island were noted as being in the proverbial pipeline for an appearance in the expansion. Does this suggest that the Nova class/Rhode Island model is to receive some attention, alongside the Intrepid model?

Yes, the Intrepid interior will show up in a mission or two.
    I have no idea bout the Nova/Rhode Island.

Are you guys planning to add to the player interior Intrepid map after release?

Huh? What we are talking about, what this whole thread is about, is a Player Ship Intrepid Interior. . .

???
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    We really don't have any time to go making Jefferies Tubes right now. If we had a use for them in a mission, maybe, but just making them for making them sake is kind of a waste at the moment.

Would it be possible for the foundry to have a '25th century Jefferies Tube Door' added as an element? Then we could just stick an interactable jefferies tube door wherever we need one and attach mission functionality to it without any need on your part to create actual functioning tubes.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited August 2014

Huh? What we are talking about, what this whole thread is about, is a Player Ship Intrepid Interior. . .

???

I think what he was asking is:

"Will you add the new Intrepid player ship interior to the Foundry after it is released, and therefor in a state where it likely won't be modified again?"
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    while I don't mind you guys merging decks and making things like this easier for the game.. (I honestly don't)

your statement is pretty off. I am a retired naval vet, who served on two different ships, both the same class, and in my leangthy time in the service, the deck layout of those ships did not change one but.. there was no difference from one Ticonderoga to the next..

this would likely translate into ships of the future as well..

military ships are not like houses where you repaint, repurpose rooms, and put additions on if you don't like something.. they are built, and any changes that need to be made, are usually put into consideration with a new class of ship.. sure, this doesn't mean that if they want to add missiles or a new technology that they wouldn't add that in, but, the basic layout stays the same.. med bay is where med bay is, like the crew quarters, the mess, and the bridge..

I love ya taco, just trying to keep you thinking realistically lol...

and again, I have no problems with you guys condensing and moving stuff around in order to make it play nice with the game engine..

No offense dude, but a Ticonderoga class missile cruiser is not a Starfleet ship. Starfleet ships can be repurposed and rebuilt. Starfleet has use a modular design pattern for years. Even in the days before Kirk, the ship's bridge was a "Plug and Play" module. That's why we can change is so easily in STO.

Entire decks on a Galaxy class can be reconfigured depending on mission needs. There were whole sections of the lower saucer of Enterprise D that were empty, saved for future conversion into what ever is needed. I know, I've got a copy of her offical blueprints.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Sickbay was on Deck 5, and due to the hallway curve outside of sickbay, it's obvious that it's on the outer side, toward the hull.

Sounds about right

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060707204504/memoryalpha/en/images/b/bb/Deck_5_section_15_alpha.jpg
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    Will it be possible to update bridge interiors so that if you have enough Boffs to fill the number of seats, that those seats are filled by Boffs and not random, generic "X Officer" NPCs? It's a minor pet peeve, I grant you, but it's another nice touch to the game.

Man, I'd be happy if all the seats are filled and consoles manned, even if it's with generic NPCs. It feels like my crew are all slacking off when 75% of the stations are unmanned.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    We are only building out the Captain's Quarters.

Does that include the sonic shower?

I kid!

It looks beautiful, I cannot wait for some actual screenshots instead of images from the panel.
  • Options
    gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yes, we can copy a map, that's how ALL UGC maps get made. But if we copy it now, and then update it later, then we have to copy it again, now we have 2, nearly identical maps (save for the changes) in the foundry at once. Then we change it again, an copy it again. This becomes a problem. If we copied the modified version OVER the existing map, it would likely break every mission taking place there. Please believe me when I say there is not a simple solution in this case.

???

Ok wait...Why would overwriting the original map break every existing mission there assuming the only addition is a new interior?

And yeah the jeffries tubes aren't too important. They'd be fun for roleplay but what I really want are the trophies.
    I like you Taco, because you actually go and explain things, It helps to understand why something cant be done when it is explained to you properly and technically.
  • Options
    trekbob5trekbob5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This may have already been asked, but is it possible to equip the voyager interior with another bridge e.g., the origin bridge? Ps loved the pics of the interior, awesome job devs!!
  • Options
    liv11dliv11d Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2014

The Holodeck is not being included at this time. Trophies are also not being added to this interior at this time.

Airponics and the Shuttlebay are not included at this time.

TACO my question is this . the following you stated will not be added at this time so will you be adding the trophies and other things later? also are we able to use these hallways only on the rest of our ships instead of those ugly generics? i love my oddy but would love the new voyager hallways to go along with my oddy bridge...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    liv11dliv11d Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2014

TACO
    will this ship have a special bridge and interior???????????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Similar to above. We built what they built. (mostly) So, there is a Bridge, a Ready Room, and a Briefing Room. The Bridge and the Briefing Room each have curved hallways that supposedly led off to other areas on Deck 1. These short halls exist, but simply lead to doors. We did not build the rest of Deck 1. To my knowledge there isn't even a canonical floorplan for what's back there.

I am a fan of "building what they built" since it is, by definition, screen accurate.

That said, if you guys ever do a Galaxy interior, I'd like an extra deck or two which includes set re-dresses.

In that way, you could have multiple quarters (at least one with Worf style deco) and I'd personally like the classroom and theatre, which would be great for Foundry, special DOffing locations, and roleplay.

On a related note, I was looking awhile back at DS9: The Fallen and one thing I liked was that they rebuilt all of the DS9 promenade set, including Garak's and the classroom. As a result, they only made a quarter of the station accessible but I can see where some of the one off redresses would hint that the quarter seen is mirrored across the station's other four quarters with different room decor and some larger areas hinted at.

But chalk me as a fan of "build the sets, not the deck plans" as long as you're also looking at the possibility of new sets (since you can do that).
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Interested in the comment "Everything is sittable (except in some missions)" - implies that said interior MIGHT be used in a FE or mission?

Query to Taco, should he be kind enough to address this; Harry Kim and the USS Rhode Island were noted as being in the proverbial pipeline for an appearance in the expansion. Does this suggest that the Nova class/Rhode Island model is to receive some attention, alongside the Intrepid model?

I get the impression that Voyager herself will be a location that acts like a starbase since we have no starbases there.

Although some planet surfaces may serve similar roles.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Oh and a side request for me would be to allow lockbox ships to use faction interiors. At the very least for select lockbox ships like the Temporal ships (which are already factioned).
  • Options
    chrishellmax2363chrishellmax2363 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Ok ju st had to say that. My captain is itching to kick some delta quadrant bums.

Thanks for the feedback, taco. I love my oddy, but definately would love a walk around voyager inside as Ive loved that show from the beginning.

Are we going to see the doctor in any of them? maybe have some 26th century tech popping up as they did when nanites and the doctors holoemitter mixed?

Looking forward to all that is coming. Thanks for all that you guys have done.

Any news on some upgrades to the oddy interiors?
    Whether you think you are right or wrong, either way you are RIGHT.
  • Options
    pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As a couple other players have said in this thread, I hope the new Voyager interiors are part of a larger effort by the devs to give players more control over the interiors.

I'm not asking for more "new" interiors beyond the new Intrepid stuff that the devs are working on now, but I am asking that the devs "unlock" all the existing interior stuff we have now.

For example, if I want to use the all of the new Intrepid interior but you want to use the Aquarius bridge from the Odyssey pack (because you purchased the Odyssey and unlocked that bridge) then you should be able to select that bridge as your ship bridge.

Or, if I want to use the Intrepid interiors but like the Origin bridge I should be able to use that combination, etc.

In short, if I've bought the ships/interiors then let me mix and match the interiors that I've paid for in the game.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

In short, if I've bought the ships/interiors then let me mix and match the interiors that I've paid for in the game.

It doesn't work like that.

Bridges and interiors are all on one map, they're not separate.

They would have have to make a new map for every Bridge + Interior combination.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    It doesn't work like that.

Bridges and interiors are all on one map, they're not separate.

They would have have to make a new map for every Bridge + Interior combination.

Eh? The only ships of those that have bouth interior-decks & a bridge that are forced to use a certain interior together with a bridge tied to that only are the Belfast interior & the Romulan Warbird interior. The later one only because it only has one bridge & interior for that faction.

All other ships with full interior can swap bridges as they see fit. Which is actually the point of selling bridge packs. Or at least was.