test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Very rare crafting materials

rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
Why aren't they in every drop box from the STFs? I've opened a few of them now and have gotten zero trellium k. How are we supposed to craft if we can't get the crafting materials? Am I the only one that thinks the drop rate needs to be higher?
bridges.jpg
Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's luck of the draw. The VR materials only come from the elite events, and even then there is no guarantee that you will get any. If you have luck like mine (which is horrible...the RNG has it out for me) then you will not see any for a while. I average around 1 in 10 boxes having VR components. I have pretty much given up on the crafting system given this rate of return, and I am not going to bother with the exchange.

It would be nice if they added a reputation project to the various rep systems for the various components. For example they should put a Trellium-K project under the Omega reputation and have it require Borg Neural Processors (since you can only get those from elites). The same could go for the other reputation systems...though I don't know what they would do about Tholian rep since they don't have a special elite currency for them.

That way those of us with atrocious luck are not completely hosed. They made the Omega gear reputation project based instead of luck based, so they can do the same for this.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited July 2014
    It can also be bountiful. Ive had a number of boxes with 6 or more vr's which I assume is part of the random boost we see. At the moment I've been seeing VR in about 1 in 5 boxes.

You can supplement your vr's with bonus packs from the doff officer for 1000 dil. The payouts have been very good for vr's and components.
  • pompoulusspompouluss Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Go to the Academy and sign up for 'Request R&D Assistance' with the Personnel Officer. I have never gotten less than one VR material. Generally I get 3-4 and also some VR components. They are random, but still VR so worth quite a bit on the exchange.
  • daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    rtk142 wrote: »
    Why aren't they in every drop box from the STFs? I've opened a few of them now and have gotten zero trellium k. How are we supposed to craft if we can't get the crafting materials? Am I the only one that thinks the drop rate needs to be higher?

The only one I've even gotten was Trellium-K. There's a theory that there's more of the boxes out there and opened and that accounts for how easy it is to find, but I don't believe that. I've opened plenty of the others and have gotten ZERO purples out of them. Trellium-K has the highest drop rate by far. I have no idea why, but go figure.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Probably because they come from the most played PvE, Space STFs.
    Plekton comes from Ground STFs.
    I think Radiogenic Particles come from the Nukara PvEs and Crystaline Entity.
    No idea on the Craylon Gas...
    And was there a couple more?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Probably because they come from the most played PvE, Space STFs.
    Plekton comes from Ground STFs.
    I think Radiogenic Particles come from the Nukara PvEs and Crystaline Entity.
    No idea on the Craylon Gas...
    And was there a couple more?

Currently you can get craylon only from the C-Store packs and the R&D Mission at the Academy.
    (It's supposed to drop from Nukara ground, the Romulan Station and Mine Trap, but it doesn't).

Edit:
    daqhegh wrote: »
    Trellium-K has the highest drop rate by far. I have no idea why, but go figure.

Only Reason i can think of: Because it is the most useless.
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    pompouluss wrote: »
    Go to the Academy and sign up for 'Request R&D Assistance' with the Personnel Officer. I have never gotten less than one VR material. Generally I get 3-4 and also some VR components. They are random, but still VR so worth quite a bit on the exchange.

Which costs dilithium and comes with useless white doffs to promote key sales for the very rare Xindi lock box crafting doffs.

Let's be honest, the crafting system is a big steaming pile of targ excrements. It could have been good, the basic mechanics are sound (except the randomness of rewards), but they decided to turn it into a money sink.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's luck of the draw. The VR materials only come from the elite events, and even then there is no guarantee that you will get any. If you have luck like mine (which is horrible...the RNG has it out for me) then you will not see any for a while. I average around 1 in 10 boxes having VR components. I have pretty much given up on the crafting system given this rate of return, and I am not going to bother with the exchange.

It would be nice if they added a reputation project to the various rep systems for the various components. For example they should put a Trellium-K project under the Omega reputation and have it require Borg Neural Processors (since you can only get those from elites). The same could go for the other reputation systems...though I don't know what they would do about Tholian rep since they don't have a special elite currency for them.

That way those of us with atrocious luck are not completely hosed. They made the Omega gear reputation project based instead of luck based, so they can do the same for this.

That's what I'm asking, WHY is it random? Why isn't it GUARANTEED? They really want it that rare?
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    rtk142 wrote: »
    That's what I'm asking, WHY is it random? Why isn't it GUARANTEED? They really want it that rare?

1) To annoy and frustrate

2) Open up your wallet and look inside. You will find the reason there. <
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yeah any crafting system is always build around disassembly of regular items for components and recipes so that you can engage with it all day long.

But, they rushed it out when time was up and here we are.

I'd recommend you dont take it too seriously and just do the daily for the next year or so, which is how long a school takes to level, casually and then we'll whats what late 2015 if game is still up.

Do yourself a huge favour and put crafting on the back burner - as sad as that is
  • galadimangaladiman Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    1) To annoy and frustrate

2) Open up your wallet and look inside. You will find the reason there. <

I'm looking in there and I'm seeing... nothing. NOTHING. :mad::mad:

What is supposed to be IN this wallet??

:P

Wait, I see something. Sadness. Oh yeah, and lint.
    Please reconsider ARC. Please make it optional, at the least. PLEASE.
    It seems the vast majority of your most active players (forum regulars) hate the idea... and while that's a small subset of the playerbase, I think it's an important constituency.
    THE PLAYERS DO NOT WANT THIS.
  • cincyman39cincyman39 Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Vets help me out here....Do you guys remember before season six we had to do stf's and hope the loot gods shined upon us and gave us that special drop so we could go to ds9 and turn it in to get the omega gear?? Now didnt crypitic say that system was unfair to members so they created the rep system to be more balanced??

So if that system was unfair meaning you could do twenty stf's and not get a single drop you needed then why bring it back oh what the new rng boxes in the c store but even then they are a gamble as well am I wrong about this please correct me if so.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    vestereng wrote: »

Do yourself a huge favour and put crafting on the back burner - as sad as that is

Sadly, for most, this is the best advice out there vis a vis crafting.

Slot the projects and forget about it for nearly a year.

Until you approach tier 15 you're not going to be making anything reliably good for endgame, so essentially we're just waiting to see.

What we've been given with this crafting update is a deferred benefit....maybe.

Although, allowing multiple projects to slot just long enough for the whales to unload their cash, then pulling the drawbridge back up behind them....that was cynical.
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    cincyman39 wrote: »
    So if that system was unfair meaning you could do twenty stf's and not get a single drop you needed then why bring it back oh what the new rng boxes in the c store but even then they are a gamble as well am I wrong about this please correct me if so.

Well, in the new system, if you don't get what you need, there's always the exchange.
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    cincyman39 wrote: »
    Vets help me out here....Do you guys remember before season six we had to do stf's and hope the loot gods shined upon us and gave us that special drop so we could go to ds9 and turn it in to get the omega gear?? Now didnt crypitic say that system was unfair to members so they created the rep system to be more balanced??

Cryptic say stuff, and cryptic do stuff.

Some times the stuff that cryptic dose exemplifies the stuff that cryptic does. Example:

Cryptic said they would give us more inventory slots. Cryptic gave us more inventory slots. Well done cryptic.

Some times the stuff that cryptic says is completely removed from the stuff that cryptic does. Example:

Cryptic says they want to reduce the number of currencies in the game. Cryptic reduces the number of currencies in the game, but then introduces more. Bad cryptic, boooo.

At the end of the day cryptic do things for business reasons. The player base wants cryptic to do things for gameplay reasons. Some times these two things are compatible. Some times they are not. When they are not cryptic chooses spin over honesty.

Personally I would prefer honesty, but apparently spin makes them more money.
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You can find plenty of rare and very rare crafting materials on the Exchange and cheap. The last time I looked for Trellium K to sell what I had, it wasn't even worth 30k EC each.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • pompoulusspompouluss Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Which costs dilithium and comes with useless white doffs to promote key sales for the very rare Xindi lock box crafting doffs.

Let's be honest, the crafting system is a big steaming pile of targ excrements. It could have been good, the basic mechanics are sound (except the randomness of rewards), but they decided to turn it into a money sink.

Throw the doffs away if you don't want them. What a goofy thing to complain about.

The project costs 1k dil, a fraction of the price of one of the old dilithium store weapons, and you get millions of EC worth of materials. It's worth it even if you don't use a single thing you get.

Whining is swell but sorry, the project is worth it.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You can find plenty of rare and very rare crafting materials on the Exchange and cheap. The last time I looked for Trellium K to sell what I had, it wasn't even worth 30k EC each.

yes this is the only one that is worthless because it comes from borg space. now search craylon, argonite and plekton and tell me how easy they are to get. You will spend between 5 and 10 million to make something that you could buy outright for much less. The only exception being field generator, but even that is close as it takes the damn craylon which isn't in any elite queue.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Since the stuff you get from STFs = dilithium and those VR materials actually take dilithium to use, the devs wouldn't loose anything by adding the ability to change reputation stuff for materials. Heck, it would make for a great dilithium sink.

On the other hand, I think they want to leave VR and UR stuff being VR and UR.
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I got 28 of them & i don't do locked box's in fact don't do crafting, but not sure which missions i got them from, do mainly Borg Elite space & C.E.Elite,,,,,,Got 30 of the radiogenic as well,,,,

Radiogenic are from C.E.E. just got 3 of them,,
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It'd be nice to see a "salvage" option. Break down purples you find or make to get "some" of the components back. Neverwinter has one, so it can't be that hard to do. Could be something like that is already being planned, but they want the $$ first.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    They could change the crits on the Archeological doff missions to give out VR materials. I find it insulting that all you get for a crit on one of those is two rare materials (20hr assignment) when you can get the same from a crit on a 30 minute scan X thing assignment that is easier to crit.
    edited July 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    They could change the crits on the Archeological doff missions to give out VR materials. I find it insulting that all you get for a crit on one of those is two rare materials (20hr assignment) when you can get the same from a crit on a 30 minute scan X thing assignment that is easier to crit.

A capital idea! Maybe put them in a 20 hour in the dyson sphere or former nebulae as well.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    edited July 2014
    A capital idea! Maybe put them in a 20 hour in the dyson sphere or former nebulae as well.

They would not be very rare if you could get them when ever you wanted by doing a 5 min or less faceroll a.k.a. stf's.
    edited July 2014
    atlmykl wrote: »
    They would not be very rare if you could get them when ever you wanted by doing a 5 min or less faceroll a.k.a. stf's.

Is crafting meant to cost 5 times the exchange then?

• atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    edited July 2014
    Is crafting meant to cost 5 times the exchange then?

Not sure what you mean here. If you meant to say the components are selling for less than the materials used to make them.... That is due to flooding of the market with components. Players are willing to sell at a loss...or not. Many of us have a 20-30% crit rate which is making 1.5 components per build on average. Either way the fact some players can and will sell cheaper than you has nothing to do with a drop rate.
    edited July 2014
    atlmykl wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean here. If you meant to say the components are selling for less than the materials used to make them.... That is due to flooding of the market with components. Players are willing to sell at a loss...or not. Many of us have a 20-30% crit rate which is making 1.5 components per build on average. Either way the fact some players can and will sell cheaper than you has nothing to do with a drop rate.

No I mean buying the materials at current prices is way more expensive than buying a finished item except a few things.

These are not VR materials they are AR - absurdly or astronomically rare.

• tigerblade99tigerblade99 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I got 28 of them & i don't do locked box's in fact don't do crafting, but not sure which missions i got them from, do mainly Borg Elite space & C.E.Elite,,,,,,Got 30 of the radiogenic as well,,,,

Radiogenic are from C.E.E. just got 3 of them,,

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I got a TRIBBLE-load of them from doing the same events and have no intention of wasting my time with crafting... The only good thing that has come out of this "so far" is a few more players in the klink event queues.

Props to the Devs for their efforts though.
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited July 2014
    Quick idea ... Why don't we just mine all those unclaimed planets in the star clusters? Oh wait I am missing something right ...
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie