test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Doff UI feedback - post July 25 patch

toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
So, glad to see at least some useful things done to it at last.

However: (for examples, see images in links)

1) As a whole, the tiles of all assignements need to be slimmer. They still take too much space.

2) The useful info showing up on mouseover, could it be shown in the assignement details window as well? It would render some more scrolling unnecessary.

3) Could doff profession be shown in the mouseover on running and completed assignements? It's a big part of what a doff is, among the traits that are shown. Also not sure if the 2 contraband lacking in the mouseover of 'requirements' i that pic is intended on completed assignements.

4) The doff professions need to all be unchecked by default, seriously. That's currently the biggest functionality flaw of the doff UI. I'd say the same would be better for doff rarity as well.

5) The filtering settings need to persist while still planning one assignement. Try filling Hamlet while having to set filters anew for every doff slot.

6) Pie charts would be more convenient to see result chances at a glance. Might also be helpful instead of percentages on the mouseover.

7) Doff trait names and professions get cut illogically almost everywhere. Often only for the last letter.

8) Wrong doff professions are highlighted in green while they don't contribute to sucess in a given mission. This one surely qualifies as a bug.

That's what I could gather for now. It's better than before, but I'd still rather take the previous UI over this because the filtering still ain't working as it should.

Now a shoutout to the good things: (for examples, see previous linked pics and one other below)

1) Mouseover information. Shows all needed traits for doffs and necessary items (complete with currently owned number of said items).

2) Filters shown for only the owned or required doffs/treir traits and rarity. (No more Ultra rare filter taking space.)

3) The lag upon opening and using filters seem to be gone/diminished on Tribble.

That's all for now. If someone (looking at you, Geko) considers this ranting and not constructive criticism, well that someone can go... You know what I mean.
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    toiva wrote: »
    4) The doff professions need to all be unchecked by default, seriously. That's currently the biggest functionality flaw of the doff UI. I'd say the same would be better for doff rarity as well.

No, this would only make the UI more cumbersome in a new way. There are plenty of times where you don't want to use a doff with a success trait. Having none shown by default will just throw off new doffers and make it really inconvenient to find the non-success doffs you want to put on assignment. The default behavior doesn't need to change, all we really need to solve this issue is a select/deselect all option.
    toiva wrote: »
    6) Pie charts would be more convenient to see result chances at a glance. Might also be helpful instead of percentages on the mouseover.

The pie chart was flawed, it might've been nice for showing the crit/success/failure/disaster chance, but it was terrible for showing how the doffs you were putting on assignment were actually affecting each of those, which the bar chart is currently doing wonderfully.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    No, this would only make the UI more cumbersome in a new way. There are plenty of times where you don't want to use a doff with a success trait. Having none shown by default will just throw off new doffers and make it really inconvenient to find the non-success doffs you want to put on assignment. The default behavior doesn't need to change, all we really need to solve this issue is a select/deselect all option.
    I believe you misunderstand. By having none of the boxes checked, all usable doffs should appear, like before 9.5. The main point is to be able to choose one particular profession you're looking for in ONE click, instead of about 50 now.

And not sure why you bring success traits here. EDIT: You thought I ask for the success bringing professions to keep being checked? That's a NO. I want no profession checked at all, like it was pre 9.5.

The pie chart was flawed, it might've been nice for showing the crit/success/failure/disaster chance, but it was terrible for showing how the doffs you were putting on assignment were actually affecting each of those, which the bar chart is currently doing wonderfully.

How doffs are supposed to affect an assignement is currently calculated by the algorithms (though with flaws, as usual) and depends on traits of doffs. Of course two crit traits will give you more crit chance than 1.

What's more important is to see the resulting chances clearly.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.

• thomasp94232thomasp94232 Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The officer selection window still has a lot of problems...

Example image ---> http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp62/thomasp94/Star%20Trek%20Online/WTF/Tribble_Doff_Issues_zps636b46d2.jpg

1. The officer selection window is far too small. The window either needs to be resizable (and the games needs to remember the size indefinitely) or the officer selection should take place in the existing assignment window as it did with the old UI.
    2. Specializations need to be unchecked by default, there need to be an uncheck/check all option.
    3. There are tons of overlap issues. This is just plain sloppy laziness.

I've been here since beta
  • thomasp94232thomasp94232 Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I also noticed that the auto selection algorithm seems to be geared towards success again rather than crit. I was testing out with a dilithium mining mission and the auto selected officers were actually all explosive experts, unlike what is currently on holodeck where it selects everything else. This is good!

I've been here since beta
    edited July 2014
    I also noticed that the auto selection algorithm seems to be geared towards success again rather than crit. I was testing out with a dilithium mining mission and the auto selected officers were actually all explosive experts, unlike what is currently on holodeck where it selects everything else. This is good!

Didn't really notice that but I have to agree.

If we can't decide by ourselves by setting whether we prefer success overall or merely Crit (seriously this would be very welcome), success is generally better as it's friendlier towards a new player. Those who want crits should generally be more experienced players that can choose proper doffs (when the filter is fixed, of course, not now!) by themselves.

For necessary filter fixes, see above (mainly unchecked professions by default and remembering the filters within one assignement).

• captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think the thing that aggravates me the most is how the new system is slotting doffs that in the old system would NEVER have been viable choices, or even options. The new system will throw anything into the blender to maximize the crit without the slightest consideration of what in the old system would've been game breakers.

I've always felt that quality and profession should've been more important than traits in getting the best outcome, but this is crazy land. I slotted a mining mission, that didn't put a single miner in. And swapping out the random purples for my green miners didn't even affect the success outcomes that much.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
    edited July 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    I think the thing that aggravates me the most is how the new system is slotting doffs that in the old system would NEVER have been viable choices, or even options. The new system will throw anything into the blender to maximize the crit without the slightest consideration of what in the old system would've been game breakers.

I've always felt that quality and profession should've been more important than traits in getting the best outcome, but this is crazy land. I slotted a mining mission, that didn't put a single miner in. And swapping out the random purples for my green miners didn't even affect the success outcomes that much.

You should give a visit to Tribble (or wait for Thursday patch when it most likely gets to Holodeck). The 'autofill seems to be primarily focused on overall success now. That is, it includes crit as well when possible, but it tries to avoid failure.

That's how it appears anyway.

I guess it's logical to redirect new feedback from Tribble to the most current thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1182161