test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

DOff Colonization TIMERS - please help bring attention to this matter

blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
edited August 2014 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
This problem has been described in more than one way and in several posts, but perhaps has been lost in a sea of (valid) feedback regarding the UI. This is my attempt to bring it some specific focus. Hopefully someone who can do something will read and understand this issue, as it is presumably unintended and a BUG!

Since the 9.5 rollout, with the removal of the exploration clusters, all of the colonial chain missions are now on the Department Head timer, instead of the intended 4-hour timer. This has caused a significant reduction on the ability to advance new characters through the colonization chains, and of course on the ability to run the repeatable support missions.

Quick Primer
  • SECTOR MAPS - DOFF assignments reset every 4 hours (global).
  • DEPARTMENT HEAD - DOFF assignments reset every 20 hours (global).
  • PERSONAL ASSIGNMENTS - DOFF assignments reset every 1 hour (player doff play time).

BEFORE THE 9.5 UPDATE:
The associated colonial chain assignments reset every 4 hours in each exploration cluster(sector) map. Colonial chain assignments also had a chance to appear in the Operations Department Head assignment list, but only when the player was in that particular exploration cluster (sector) map. No colonization chain assignments appear in the personal assignment list.

This gave the player a chance for the mission to appear in the cluster map every 4 hours, on their own Operations Department Head every 20 hours, OR be invited to another player's bridge if their Ops DH had the mission.

AFTER THE 9.5 UPDATE:
Colonial chain assignments are now resetting on the same schedule as the DH timer (every 20 hours). There is no exploration cluster map, so the 4 hour timers associated with the sector maps are no longer viewable by the player. As such, there are no bridge invites available from other players, because they are never actually 'in' the exploration cluster.
It appears to me that the pop-up interacts for the exploration clusters was copied from what used to be the players' DH assignments, instead of from the sector map programming.

This has reduced the ability to find a colonization chain mission to once every 20 hours, when the department head missions change.

I believe this is an unintended change, therefore it's a bug that is not related to the new interface. I hope that it will be quickly resolved. I intend to file a bug report as well; I urge others to do the same.

Refer to Zero's post regarding why I felt it could be helpful to break this out separately: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=18106871&postcount=25

Please try to keep replies limited to those about DOff timers here;
For DOff UI comments, there is an official feedback thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1167031

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
"Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
Post edited by blackjackwidow on

Comments

• askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If you think this is a bug why didn't you post it in the bug forum?

Moved...
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    The devs ripped apart code left and right removing the clusters and screwed up a lot of things. Clusters with no assignments. Clusters giving accolade progression for wrong cluster. It's a big fat mess.
  • artfulmerkageartfulmerkage Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I too hope this is quickly resolved. I would presume that since clusters have been moved to the jurisdiction of sector space, that they are beholden to the 4 hour timer, and that their current conformity to the department head reset timer is an unintended effect.

There are more issues than just this, Eridan Belt can only be accessed by one player at a time, and Betreka doesn't even list assignments.

I would welcome resolution on these matters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Valdus | Charn | Costello | Typhus | Thyran
  • pwefailpwefail Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    surely all this was played on tribble,reported then fixed by the devs ?
    say it can't be that they ignored the tribble forums and let the alpha version hit holodeck ?
    i mean thats why tribble is there.or ?
    The player formerly known as Chunter.
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    The devs ripped apart code left and right removing the clusters and screwed up a lot of things. Clusters with no assignments. Clusters giving accolade progression for wrong cluster. It's a big fat mess.

Including no cell missions available.
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • asindar1asindar1 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This problem has been described in more than one way and in several posts, but perhaps has been lost in a sea of (valid) feedback regarding the UI. This is my attempt to bring it some specific focus. Hopefully someone who can do something will read and understand this issue, as it is presumably unintended and a BUG!

Since the 9.5 rollout, with the removal of the exploration clusters, all of the colonial chain missions are now on the Department Head timer, instead of the intended 4-hour timer. This has caused a significant reduction on the ability to advance new characters through the colonization chains, and of course on the ability to run the repeatable support missions.

Quick Primer
    • SECTOR MAPS - DOFF assignments reset every 4 hours (global).
    • DEPARTMENT HEAD - DOFF assignments reset every 12 hours (global).
    • PERSONAL ASSIGNMENTS - DOFF assignments reset every 1 hour (player doff play time).

BEFORE THE 9.5 UPDATE:
    The associated colonial chain assignments reset every 4 hours in each exploration cluster(sector) map. Colonial chain assignments also had a chance to appear in the Operations Department Head assignment list, but only when the player was in that particular exploration cluster (sector) map. No colonization chain assignments appear in the personal assignment list.

This gave the player a chance for the mission to appear in the cluster map every 4 hours, on their own Operations Department Head every 12 hours, OR be invited to another player's bridge if their Ops DH had the mission.

AFTER THE 9.5 UPDATE:
    Colonial chain assignments are now resetting on the same schedule as the DH timer (every 12 hours). There is no exploration cluster map, so the 4 hour timers associated with the sector maps are no longer viewable by the player. As such, there are no bridge invites available from other players, because they are never actually 'in' the exploration cluster.
    It appears to me that the pop-up interacts for the exploration clusters was copied from what used to be the players' DH assignments, instead of from the sector map programming.

This has reduced the ability to find a colonization chain mission to once every 12 hours, when the department head missions change.

I believe this is an unintended change, therefore it's a bug that is not related to the new interface. I hope that it will be quickly resolved. I intend to file a bug report as well; I urge others to do the same.

Refer to Zero's post regarding why I felt it could be helpful to break this out separately: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=18106871&postcount=25

Please try to keep replies limited to those about DOff timers here;
    For DOff UI comments, there is an official feedback thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1167031

The dept head timer is 20 hours not 12 hours.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited July 2014

You might say that this new system is a..

:cool:

clusterf-

The simplest solution that would not have broken anything whatsoever related to cluster doffing would have been to leave the cluster maps as they were and just get rid of the randomly spawning particle and genesis mission anomolies. One might say that removing those maps is one step towards a future unified sector space, but really they could have just pulled a Hromi like with LoR. That was working perfectly fine aside from its busted 0.0KM interact distance.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You might say that this new system is a..

:cool:

clusterf-

:P, and i was wondering why i wasnt able to get any of the completion-chain reward assignments on any of my toons.. now i know why.. :cool:
  • blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    askray wrote: »
    If you think this is a bug why didn't you post it in the bug forum?

Moved...

I posted in the DOff subforum in an attempt to break out the timers (and other 'non-ui' issues) from the DOff UI feedback.

Tried to put a light on the fact there are other issues besides "buttons too big", give detailed feedback in the DOff subforum, and let others know that this is apparently not WAI.

Anyway, thanks for moving it to bug reports. I've filed an in-game support ticket. Hopefully the issues are raised to the proper people.

"Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
    edited July 2014
    I wish the devs paid more attention to all the problems their cluster removal caused. I would think, since this season dealt with changes to doffing and crafting only, they would use this "debug new release" time to get all of these squashed quickly.

On a "last season bug" note. I'd love to have Asylum on Earth tied again to ESD as it was before they remodeled it.
  • spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    :P, and i was wondering why i wasnt able to get any of the completion-chain reward assignments on any of my toons.. now i know why.. :cool:

Same here ........
    P58WJe7.jpg

edited July 2014
    asindar1 wrote: »
    The dept head timer is 20 hours not 12 hours.

my stupid mistake, ty - changed it.

― Sereda Aleta Dailey

edited July 2014
    they could have just pulled a Hromi like with LoR. That was working perfectly fine aside from its busted 0.0KM interact distance.

This is what I expected and would have been the simplest solution.

― Sereda Aleta Dailey

edited July 2014
    I wish the devs paid more attention to all the problems their cluster removal caused. I would think, since this season dealt with changes to doffing and crafting only, they would use this "debug new release" time to get all of these squashed quickly.

On a "last season bug" note. I'd love to have Asylum on Earth tied again to ESD as it was before they remodeled it.

Knowing that everything they release comes with dozens of bugs since ages ago, due to a lazy - cheap - way of working, i dont "wish" anymore about the devs paying more attention. It is just they way they work, the way cryptic works. You should be used to it by now lol.

My only "wish" would be that they stop releasing unnecesary stuff and stop making unneccesary changes everywhere. At least we will not have to worry about so many fails everywhere.

At least, we still can move our ships and click buttons.. i guess that until that changes, everything is "ok"...:P
    edited July 2014
    Knowing that everything they release comes with dozens of bugs since ages ago, due to a lazy - cheap - way of working, i dont "wish" anymore about the devs paying more attention. It is just they way they work, the way cryptic works. You should be used to it by now lol.

My only "wish" would be that they stop releasing unnecesary stuff and stop making unneccesary changes everywhere. At least we will not have to worry about so many fails everywhere.

At least, we still can move our ships and click buttons.. i guess that until that changes, everything is "ok"...:P

The worst part is that we wont start seeing some of the new potential bugs until a month or two from now when people start using the level 15+ crafting equipment.
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    The raid missions are missing from the clusters too, which is just stupid. Would be nice if things like this got fixed before they went live... :rolleyes:
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
    edited July 2014

I could swear that it actually was working for like 1 week last month and then they broke it again in the subsequent patch.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
    edited July 2014
    7-22-2014: So an emergency patch to 'fix' the crafting projects and add a rudimentary filter to doff selection (better than nothing, but not exactly optimal).

No mention of the timer issues, although the patch notes do say that they fixed the Betreka Nebula not showing any missions and Eridan Belt will now be usable by more than one person at a time.

Timer issues - not in patch notes, not in 'known issues'.

― Sereda Aleta Dailey

edited July 2014
    The worst part is that we wont start seeing some of the new potential bugs until a month or two from now when people start using the level 15+ crafting equipment.

And THIS is going to be a real pain. Because by that time the new expansion will be here, and as you know, a couple of dozens of new bugs will appear. Probably big bugs, as always. So, as always we will have all the bugs accumulated from previous seasons, plus the new crafting system fails plus the new expansion bugs and fails. I said once that i was afraid that the next expansion will be the last one.. i hope im wrong.. but i cant imagine how many bugs we will have by then. I prefer not to think on it... :eek:

BTW, 4 days passed and i still coudnt get any of my assignment-chains rewards missions. It was one of my daily operations, to go to star clusters to check those assignments. Well, nothing, nada, zero in 4 days. And i have 10 toons. I mean, it is so hard to fix this, cryptic?
  • crypticfrostcrypticfrost Member Posts: 1,479 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    This problem has been described in more than one way and in several posts, but perhaps has been lost in a sea of (valid) feedback regarding the UI. This is my attempt to bring it some specific focus.

Thanks for the clear write up of the issue. I've made sure the appropriate people are aware of it.
    STO QA Team
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for the clear write up of the issue. I've made sure the appropriate people are aware of it.

Thank YOU! I hope that this is addressed. It is crippling for the DOffing community

― Sereda Aleta Dailey

edited July 2014
    There is an excellent post in the DOff subforum regarding the other consequences of exploration cluster removal.
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1174021

The timer issue really is a sub-set problem of removing the clusters in the first place.

― Sereda Aleta Dailey

edited July 2014
    Removal of the clusters was foolish. They should have just disabled the randomly-spawning anomolies for the crafting mats and the genesis missions and left the "empty" cluster maps. Their removal has been catastrophic for Doffing.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    edited July 2014

Is there any update on this? The patch notes for today's patch do not mention the issue, nor the additional issues caused by cluster removal.

If the appropriate people are aware, shouldn't it at least be listed in the 'known issues'?

― Sereda Aleta Dailey

• tech79ltech79l Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for the post, was wondering what has been going on with this.
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Any update?

*crickets heard in the background*
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Any update?

*crickets heard in the background*

Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be an intentional nerf.
    T93uSC8.jpg
    edited August 2014
    Release notes for today, Aug 14 2014 say it's FIXED! At least I think that's what this means:
    The Duty Officer Mission cooldown on Star Cluster contacts has been reduced from 20 hours down to 4 hours.

YAY! Thank you crypticfrost and whoever fixed it! (assuming it really is fixed, lol)

― Sereda Aleta Dailey