test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pre patching started - 9.5 imminent

dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
As the thread title it looks like prepatching has now started with a 3.5GB download on exiting the client. Looks like the Tribble build is pretty much going to stand with only a very few tweaks here and there.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Doesn't mean thee won't be any big changes before release, it could be just art assets being released in advance.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Let me show you my shocked face.

/sarcasm off...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well personally I was actually more surprised that Prepatching has started only a week into July when I was under the impression it wasnt supposed to come out for another 2-3 weeks yet. Heck we havent even had part 3 of the crafting blog yet so to give us a big download now is jumping the gun a bit.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well there really isn't much to S9'5 save for the horrible crafting. I fully believe that they can push it out early..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It isn't supposed to be out for a couple of more weeks. They still haven't announced the Crafting to be in Beta yet, it's still in Alpha testing.

Most think this prepatching is the files changing the outfits on the npcs throughout the game. KDF now wear Bortasque and Federation the Odyssey.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think it could still be a couple of weeks away. the bulk of the build is done. the stuff from now on is really number tweaks so if it is possible to give people ample time to prepatch then it makes sense to let them do so.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It isn't supposed to be out for a couple of more weeks. They still haven't announced the Crafting to be in Beta yet, it's still in Alpha testing.

are these their words or yours? i have not personally heard them say anything about alpha and beta.

the very first build they used was the earliest they could get it up on tribble, so you could certainly label it as an alpha build but unless they have specifically said and ive missed it, at any point it could have crossed into a build that they could label as beta.

considering the foundry is still in beta i would not place too much into what they label it as.
  • binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    dirlettia wrote: »
    Well personally I was actually more surprised that Prepatching has started only a week into July when I was under the impression it wasnt supposed to come out for another 2-3 weeks yet. Heck we havent even had part 3 of the crafting blog yet so to give us a big download now is jumping the gun a bit.
    why do you need part 3?

except that i dont have any very rare particle on tribble crafting is alomost finished i think. dilithium cost was gratley reduced. from 15k to 5k and from 5k to 1k for those craftable things... so 7k for km xii try...
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Most think this prepatching is the files changing the outfits on the npcs throughout the game. KDF now wear Bortasque and Federation the Odyssey.

thats more likely to filter through then the crafting and exploration upgrade nerfs :P. if it got released now it would be total chaos and the devs still havent got around to fixing a few of these issues they brought in from a recent content upgrade yet. they work to a specific timetime and i doubt they would purposely rush through content without some form of Q&A.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hmm didn't I read somewhere that season 9.5 is going live at the end of July? I hope there are still some Dev blogs coming up. A half-season that is just about crafting only would be anything but exciting.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    are these their words or yours? i have not personally heard them say anything about alpha and beta.
    It was posted the day R&D hit Tribble.
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've been working under the assumption that 9.5 would go live on the 17th. That's the obvious earliest date for the next big change, whether it includes crafting or not.
    edited July 2014
    i doubt it will be out when the summer event is finished a week and a few days from now. the server will be brought down to disable that and bring a few changes, im betting thats when the uniforms are expected. anyways, the crafting system still needs to be fixed now it is out on tribble, coldsnapped has it under known issues the past few threads of updates.
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    dirlettia wrote: »
    As the thread title it looks like prepatching has now started with a 3.5GB download on exiting the client. Looks like the Tribble build is pretty much going to stand with only a very few tweaks here and there.

Don't get too excited, could be disappointment at the bottom of your yogurt instead of fruit.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • xastirxxastirx Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If today's download of 3.5 GB is the pre download, then what was that 4.5 GB download that happened yesterday? i downloaded the game onto my new machine, then after playing a bit of sto, and logging out there was a 4.5 gb download that would not let me back into the game until it was done, and now there is a 3.5 GB download.

Now I know that i can still play without getting that pre patch finished first, so log as it DOES finish before the full patch release, but what was that 4.5 gb patch from yesterday? it behaved like a maintenance patch in that i couldnt get into sto before it finished no matter what i did, but there was no release notes on it.
  • xastirxxastirx Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    szim wrote: »
    Hmm didn't I read somewhere that season 9.5 is going live at the end of July? I hope there are still some Dev blogs coming up. A half-season that is just about crafting only would be anything but exciting.

Actually, those 360 degree beam arrays that are more powerful than turrets, that can be useful, especially since they're being made for all energy types. i just wish that beam arrays like that would actually fiure from array hard points, not the turret ones
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    More than crafting, would expect there to be a new lockbox at least, with new ships and items.
  • ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If this isn't the majority of S9.5 coming down, it's a little out of hand.

Yesterday, I had 1.4GB pulled down on exiting the game on my PC. I repaired a PC, which also had the client, and I loaded up to configure new graphics card settings for them, exit, 1.4GB pulled down as well.

Reports in this thread of even more bandwidth consumed.

It doesn't really affect ME, personally, as I have an internet plan with unlimited bandwidth. But up here in Canada, monthly bandwidth caps of 80-100GB are not unheard of.

Considering the development team is concerned about the game's size deterring new users, unannounced multi-GB patches would fall into the same category, would it not?

I do understand pre-patching will cause less likelyhood of downtime on launch day (but considering track record since Season 7, I'd say only by 50/50), but they should be announced - as in "hey, we're consuming x amount of bandwidth this week, but we'll save you that much later".
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! :D

I'd say I'll miss crafting, but I've not made anything since Season 3.

Hey Cryptic, don't call it a 'new' crafting system. All you did was cut'n'paste from Neverwinter. :P
    edited July 2014
    pre-patching has come before any you end up downloading useless data anyway because if you havent update your tribble build to the latest before release you will end up downloading even more data. so i switch off the launcher as soon as it pops up after playing sto.

so sticking with tribble latest build, you only need to wait a few moments to copy some files and download a little bit of something else from the server.

crafting has been dead for years, i dont notice it at all, no matter how much the devs try to reanimate that dead horse :rolleyes:.