test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

best type of phaser weapon?

hapievohapievo Member Posts: 34 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Federation Discussion
Hello all,

For space, what would be the best type of phaser weapons?

Adv fleet?
Elite fleet?
Bio-molecular?
Just standard VR Mk XII?

Thanks for any advice!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by hapievo on

Comments

• warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think generally, if you are going to be a orange Phaser purist, Mk XII Very Rare Phasers with favorable mods are the best.

Advanced version a decent 2nd, mostly because they're forced to suffer more [Dmg] mods which IMO are the least favorable of all weapon mods. Regular Mk XII Very Rare Phasers are not restricted into those.

I know some love the Elite Phasers but in general, it's reviled by many.

Bio-Molecular Phasers are a decent look but they're green which is a deal breaker for some. It still counts as Phaser damage, has the Phaser Proc (for whatever it's worth) and has the Bio-Molecular Radiation dmg. Depending on your build, this can be decent.

If you already have regular Mk XII Very Rare Phasers with good mods, I would not get rid of them. If you don't, last I saw, good regular Phaser weapons were very expensive on the exchange. Otherwise, Advanced Phasers are your ticket. If you can shop at a capable fleet store, they'll have Advanced weapons. Bio-Molecular energy weapons are available at T4 8472 Rep Stores.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited June 2014
    I've experimented with all of them. I currently using Elite (always wanted to, despite the hate, now I like them).

As for what's best:

VR XII off the exchange currently have the best/favourable procs. The damage is within 10% of elite with the advantage of having procs you decide.

Advanced fleet are an excellent second. It's consistently good, but as other have mention the dmg proc is a sad waste.

The bio-enhanced turret is significantly better than fleet turrets, and has added value through the set. If you don't mind a green shot and green photons (bio), this is a nice addition to phaser love.

As for elites:

The fun of the shield proc is to see occasional healing of your own shields. It's nice to see when Undine surround you, your shields get better. I'm wondering how pairing reman shields (with the added capacitance) might take advantage of this effect.
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    hapievo wrote: »
    Hello all,

Adv fleet?
    Elite fleet?
    Bio-molecular?
    Just standard VR Mk XII?

Thanks for any advice!

If you're going to invest in standard VR Mk.XII, it might be worth to wait and see how crafting develops on tribble in the next few weeks. They might get cheaper on the exchange, there might be new modifiers etc...
  • ksathra2ksathra2 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well from what has been seen on Tribble has some nice new phaser weapons. While you can't equip more than one the new crafting system now offers DHC's with a 90 degree firing arc and more damage types to the 360 degree beam array.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Want the orange color of phaser but the great functionality of disruptor?

Spiral Wave :)

BUT ... you'll have to get a Galor from the loxbox. That's the trick.

Otherwise, go for the Exchange versions: more variety, easier to acquire.

Have fun!
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Want the orange color of phaser but the great functionality of disruptor?

Spiral Wave :)

BUT ... you'll have to get a Galor from the loxbox. That's the trick.

Have fun!

It's yellow!
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited June 2014
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'd just go with Advanced Fleet. Cheap and readily available, and while the [dmg] mods aren't the greatest, getting two of them plus the slight damage boost of being a 4-mod weapon, alongside the [acc]x2 mods, makes them very good for anything short of the MOAR DEE PEE ESS builds (and if you're doing one of those, you probably aren't using phasers anyways).
  • arkatdtarkatdt Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hello all,

Adv fleet?
    Elite fleet?
    Bio-molecular?
    Just standard VR Mk XII?

Thanks for any advice!

Isn't the disadvantage of the Bio-molecular is that is has only 2 modifiers, instead of the three you typical get for a very rare?
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited June 2014

I'd disagree with the easier bit. I took one look at the price of mk XII phasers on the exchange and bought advanced fleet instead.
    edited June 2014
    Well, it's relative: to get Fleet one must have or get access to them, then there is the FC cost. To me, those are speed bumps that, although not to difficult to overcome, still makes buying from the exchange "easier". I'm also not suggesting the OP go for the MkXII, very rare weapons. Heck, the price difference between MK XI Rare and Very Rare tactical consoles is eye-popping.
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yeah, the EC price differences on the exchange are outrageous. I always wonder if that stuff actually sells, or its just the same people relisting it over and over again. As for phaser arrays, even common mk XI sells for way more than vendor price.
    I guess I'm a bit spoiled by being in a small fleet where I can earn more FCs than I can possibly spend, but going right for the XII ultra rares seemed like a better choice than paying the price for XI VRs/XII rares or whatever. The mods are kinda sucky, though, I'll admit.
    edited June 2014
    I guess I'm a bit spoiled by being in a small fleet where I can earn more FCs than I can possibly spend ...

I'm in the exact same boat, but once I got my Spiral Waves, I felt "free" not to pursue the Phaser discussion because I got what they do AND the disruptor proc. I know I can get better than the SW, but they fit perfectly what I want :) The fact I love cruisers in STO was pure bonus.

But enough about me ...
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I simply use the free Mk XI phasers from "Everything Old is New".

I've gotten very rare Mk XII disruptor and plasma beam arrays from the Borg eSTFs, but never got any phasers.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I find the advanced fleet phasers are a good cost effective way to get some very decent weapons. Dilithium costs are low (8500) and you only need 20,000 fleet credits, so that is not too difficult to get.

By contrast some of the equivalent mkxii phasers off the exchange can be millions of EC, which can take time to get unless you are farming the stuff.

Alternativley you could get the counter command rep weapons but they cost dilithium, and a lot more of it than the fleet version. You'll get better choice of mods there though.
    SulMatuul.png
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hello all,

Adv fleet?
    Elite fleet?
    Bio-molecular?
    Just standard VR Mk XII?

Thanks for any advice!

My personal favorite is the advanced andorian phasers from the fleet stores. They're blue. I like blue phasers.

But I think the bio-molecular are a great choice since they're easy to get from the rep store. So they're just less of a hassle to acquire.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hapievohapievo Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies!

Sorry I guess I should have put more to the post (just goes to show I shouldn't post while sleepy)

I am sticking with phasers not out of a need to adhere to canon, but that I already have 4 fleet tac consoles for them and with my fleet it is hard to build credits. I also just finished tier 4 of undine rep, so I have access to all the types of phasers. I also have the heavy turret from the undine rep already installed.

Btw this was for DHCs and Turrets. I current am using a pair of Mk XI VR DHCs, Quad Cannons, and one Mk XI VR turret. I was looking to upgrade my existing Mk XI gear and Quads to Mk XII. I had been leaning towards the bio molecular phasers but was unsure. I wanted to make sure I dumped my resources in the right spot.

To anyone, using the undine phasers, how useful is the radiation proc? Btw, I'm also using the Multi-Energy Relay.

ksathra2 - there is going to be a 90 degree DHC?! That's rad! I may just grab two Mk XII DHC's then.

thanks again everyone!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited June 2014
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    I simply use the free Mk XI phasers from "Everything Old is New".

Rainbow phasers! Pick a phaser of every color, and (t)roll into STF PUGs like a boss!
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Rainbow phasers! Pick a phaser of every color, and (t)roll into STF PUGs like a boss!

Did that for a short time with blue retro and red/orange phasers. But I got tired of the high pitch sound from the retro.

I'll probably look into the Undine rep system for the bio-phasers. First i wanna finish the Omega and Dyson reps and then probably take a short break before starting the Undine rep.
  • arkatdtarkatdt Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies!

Sorry I guess I should have put more to the post (just goes to show I shouldn't post while sleepy)

I am sticking with phasers not out of a need to adhere to canon, but that I already have 4 fleet tac consoles for them and with my fleet it is hard to build credits. I also just finished tier 4 of undine rep, so I have access to all the types of phasers. I also have the heavy turret from the undine rep already installed.

Btw this was for DHCs and Turrets. I current am using a pair of Mk XI VR DHCs, Quad Cannons, and one Mk XI VR turret. I was looking to upgrade my existing Mk XI gear and Quads to Mk XII. I had been leaning towards the bio molecular phasers but was unsure. I wanted to make sure I dumped my resources in the right spot.

To anyone, using the undine phasers, how useful is the radiation proc? Btw, I'm also using the Multi-Energy Relay.

ksathra2 - there is going to be a 90 degree DHC?! That's rad! I may just grab two Mk XII DHC's then.

thanks again everyone!

I have not found the proc that useful and actually went back to the Fleet Adv Phaser DHC. I just purchased from the Exchange two Phaser DHC Mk XII [CrtH][CrtD]x2 to see how they work.

I am not sure the 2.5% chance of a proc is worth giving up another modifier for.
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I've been thinking about switching back to phasers myself, and had been wondering the same thing; but after hearing about what's planned for crafting later on, I think I'll wait for the ones with the Beam Overload proc. They sound fun. :D
  • hapievohapievo Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thanks again for the input!

There are cannon coming with a beam overload proc also!? Are they one per ship also, like someone had stated the 90 degree DHCs were?

Is this on tribble right now?

Also, are there screens/charts showing what all will be able to be made with the new system? I tried looking and was unable to find anything (other than a breakdown of the different schools of crafting).

Thanks again!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thanks again for the input!

There are cannon coming with a beam overload proc also!? Are they one per ship also, like someone had stated the 90 degree DHCs were?

Is this on tribble right now?

Also, are there screens/charts showing what all will be able to be made with the new system? I tried looking and was unable to find anything (other than a breakdown of the different schools of crafting).

Thanks again!

No idea. I know the 360 beams will be one per ship, but I don't believe they've said about the overload proc.

Nope, overload proc is something they are planning to add to crafting after it launches; so it'll probably be a few months before we see those.

Don't think so. Unless one of the tribble testers has posted something I suppose; but I haven't seen anything.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited June 2014

I have one ship that was using Mk XII Disruptors and made the switch to Undine Rep Disruptors. The parses I did showed a small uptick in DPS when making the switch.

So numerically, it was a tiny boost for me.

Wouldn't have noticed it in gameplay though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]