test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Petition to Revoke FTP

Comments

• seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Sure, you revoke FTP and I will send you the bill for a bunch of lockbox ships because some people can't afford that kind of model, especially these days.

Otherwise, I think Dr Evil said it best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxSI1QsIo8g
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • meathook2099meathook2099 Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    a3001 wrote: »
    This is why we can't have nice things.

No.
    This is why you have to pay for nice things.:rolleyes:
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    No.
    This is why you have to pay for nice things.:rolleyes:

Nice things are OP, please Nerf.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I see LOTS of forum moderation in this threads future!!:eek:
  • robobigtimerobobigtime Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    nightken wrote: »
    op, while I try to be polite online I only have one reply to this. your an idiot.

p.s. yes I like bad puns

You're not your. You're welcome. :D
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You're not your. You're welcome. :D

lol, I blame the op. reading it made me dumber.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This thread has little life in it, a it started with a forum violation.

And just... no. F2P is the best thing for this game.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    nightken wrote: »
    lol, I blame the op. reading it made me dumber.

It's not your fault. I blame the OP.
    As for the OP's Post.http://youtu.be/5hfYJsQAhl0
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    nciss wrote: »
    Beta Tester

As someone allegedly around since Beta, you, of all ppl, should know Petitions are against the TOS.

/thread
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    To be fair, the OP is right in one regard. F2P is a one-way model. With a P2P title you have a steady income and can concentrate on generating new content and coherent gameplay. F2P just lives from designing new shinies people will spend money on. Basically, the first question regarding everything STO related is "will they pay for that?" which means that consistency or common sense take a secondary role in decision making.

Would P2P be healthier for the game as a whole? Definitely.

Would there still be a STO with a P2P model? Probably not. It didn't generate enough interest to survive, but in my personal opinion the game was never fit for the Star Trek setting to begin with which alienated a lot of fans of the IP which are, ironically, the people was originally aimed at.

Bottom line: Everybody is entitled to have an opinion. My opinion is that I don't like F2P and disagree with a lot of decisions Cryptic/PWE make, but I wouldn't tell them to change their business model to something I know they aren't able to support. Since it's F2P I can decide to pay them or not to show my support/discontent. A "petition" like that doesn't do any good and if you have serious suggestions on the matter you should voice them in a more civil and sensible manner, OP.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If you are against the F2P model, why aren't you defending the lifer sale in all of the threads created by people asking if they should get it or not?
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    cidjack wrote: »
    If you are against the F2P model, why aren't you defending the lifer sale in all of the threads created by people asking if they should get it or not?

OP isn't even in this thread defending his anti-F2P "petition."
  • xxxseadog117xxxxxxseadog117xxx Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    F2P is the reason why I like this game. Some thing's can go wrong (cough galaxy revamp exploration killing cough) but cryptic managed to take some gigabytes from my computer.

And hard work? I'm sorry if I offend gold members, but for people like me that can't spend a dime have to grind everyday to get zen. Gold members have to wait for their 500 zen stipend.

I still can't tell if this is a troll or not.:confused:

EDIT: This is my response https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTySpF1U4rQ
    Kurland Here Kurland Here This is Kurland Kurland Kurland Here Kurland, Do you copy?

chiyoumiku wrote: »
    Here's a Tissue for your Issue.
    edited June 2014
    F2P is the reason why I like this game. Some thing's can go wrong (cough galaxy revamp exploration killing cough) but cryptic managed to take some gigabytes from my computer.

And hard work? I'm sorry if I offend gold members, but for people like me that can't spend a dime have to grind everyday to get zen.

And how does that financially support the game?
    You are complaining about having to tie the laces on your "free" shoes while complaining about people who bought their shoes having velcro.

That is why F2P is unsustainable.
  • cradiacradia Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I myself am a beta tester of this game but I disagree with OP. The FTP model is suppose to bring in many player to the game. I'm sure that is what all game developers want is to bring in more people , more people - more revenue - more episodes and content - more jobs. Any mmo is going to have bug issues regardless if its FTP or not. Yes Cryptic is a little slow on addressing some of the issues but it is not because of FTP.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    People have really short memories, this game was P2P, it was not getting new content any faster then than now and if it had continued as P2P it probably wouldn't even be here today. It was failing as a P2P game and if it reverted to that, it would fail again.
    Only a simpleton would point a finger and say problems with this game are all F2Ps fault, as if F2P players are responsible for the decisions being made by PWE executives or the shortcomings in the design of the game. And though these players may not be subscribers, a great many are spending far more than the value of a monthly subscription in microtransactions for items in the game and don't need to read the entitled gibberish of people who presume to think that because they are subscribers, they are the only ones supporting the game.

There is a reason why more and more games are shifting towards, or being developed for, a F2P model, because it is considerably more profitable for the game provider.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • irishcaptain007irishcaptain007 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm a big Star Trek fan (obviously) and until f2p I had never even heard of STO. Overall I like the game, but from reading the forum posts and beta tester comments this game was going nowhere and most likely wouldn't even exist today if it had stayed P2p.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    F2P is a model tons of MMO's have been following (not all), and has worked quite well in regards to money generation, and even content generation, for almost all of them (again not all).

I for one support the F2P system, as it allows tons of people to try before you buy gaming.

Just think what would happen to the STO server population, if it was only a P2P sub!!!

How many of those Sub's would be left, with countless amounts of Zen, because no one would need to trade dilithium for it really!!!

Even fewer PVP/PVE matches, due to fewer player's!!!

Fewer player's to build a fleet with!!!

The list can go on, and on.

Sorry OP, I for one say nay!!!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• rockpaperfaprockpaperfap Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Are you kidding? No.
    edited June 2014
    And how does that financially support the game?
    You are complaining about having to tie the laces on your "free" shoes while complaining about people who bought their shoes having velcro.

That is why F2P is unsustainable.

F2P is unsustainable?! This game released an expansion with another along the way. They have enough team members now to go back and fix all the crappy stuff about the game. P2P for this game and this thread wouldn't even exist, because the game would be dead.
    edited June 2014
    I'm a big Star Trek fan (obviously) and until f2p I had never even heard of STO. Overall I like the game, but from reading the forum posts and beta tester comments this game was going nowhere and most likely wouldn't even exist today if it had stayed P2p.

This game as it exists in it's present form would not exist today.
    Star Trek as a multi billion dollar franchise would still exist.

So would the game license.
    edited June 2014
    This game as it exists in it's present form would not exist today.
    Star Trek as a multi billion dollar franchise would still exist.

So would the game license.

That would seem to be a call for an entirely new game, not what the OP is calling for, which is revocation of F2P.
    edited June 2014
    F2P is a model tons of MMO's have been following (not all), and has worked quite well in regards to money generation, and even content generation, for almost all of them (again not all).

I for one support the F2P system, as it allows tons of people to try before you buy gaming.

Leaving the first 50 levels F2P would accomplish the same goal.
  • jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Are you kidding? No.

You see this: This idea is so bad that someone used THEIR FIRST FORUM POST to say so :eek: welcome to the dumbest thread on the forums :D

EDIT: And I used my 200th post to agree :D
    edited June 2014

Except that most of this game is endgame
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Am I to guess this is some kind of sarcasm?

There are only 50 levels on this game!!!

:confused:
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    FTP was a godsend for this game, and likely the only reason it's survived (and thrived) to this day.

In summation, OP is delusional.
    edited June 2014
    This game should have been a cross between Judgment Rites and Starfleet Command.
    It still could be.
    edited June 2014
    Am I to guess this is some kind of sarcasm?

There are only 50 levels on this game!!!

:confused:

No leave the first 50 levels F2P and release new mission packs and content at 3 month intervals that have to be purchased. If they suck nobody will buy them.
    That way the players are in control of the future direction of the game.
    edited June 2014
    No leave the first 50 levels F2P and release new mission packs and content at 3 month intervals that have to be purchased. If they suck nobody will buy them.
    That way the players are in control of the future direction of the game.

HAH, The whole point of FTP not being P2W is that ALL CONTENT is free, and as for players guiding the direction of a game, the only game where that works is Planetside 2
This discussion has been closed.